A Honest Review of the Game

QQ_Liu_Xin_Rui

Yes the story was bland but if comparing it to Assasins creed it was just a straight up better version of that game.  More polished less buggy still fun and beautiful.  But I will agree the story was lacking.  Jin specifically was the most forgettable character they could have possibly came up with.  But most open world games have a shit story with shit voice acting.  Horizon, AC, Farcry, Skyrim, Fallout literally any open world game I can think of has an awful story those games are more about exploring cool areas rather than telling a story.  It is hard to tell a story and make it fit together when there are 10-20 quest lines all going on at the same time.

I had a blast with it although it was repetitive at times I wouldn't give it the raving reviews everyone else is but it was a solid 8 for me.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, hyousai said:

Story must not have been a complete dealbreaker for you if you went and got the Platinum.

I disagree on that. It might have been a deal breaker for him. It's just that he didn't want to see an incomplete trophy list when he can get a 100% on it. 

I played a few games I didn't like on my other account just cause I put it on my trophy list and didn't want it to be incomplete.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hyousai said:

Whenever I read something like, “an honest review of game X”, it pretty much always translates to “look at me poop on the game look at me”. Bonus points for calling people that liked it “dick-riding”. Top marks for shit-stirring there. A perfect 5 out of 7.

That said, I agree with most of your points about the story being iffy. I felt the swordplay and atmosphere helped make up for it and keep me reasonably engaged. Story must not have been a complete dealbreaker for you if you went and got the Platinum.

Overall, some fun swordplay and stealth with a meh story. Not my GotY, but a more enjoyable experience than your typical AAA game.

I wouldn't have posted this if people weren't dick-riding the game. The user score for this game is ridiculously high for something that has major flaws. Even RDR2 or GOW didn't have that big of a user score.

It really isn't a bad game per se. But the fact that they overhyped it and the stealth was really basic and clunky, (all the different stances seem unnecessary in combat and actually ruins the flow of the combat system the fact that you have to keep switching back and forth, but I can understand how some people may like it), AI was dumb as a bag of rocks. It was very disappointing to say the least. Overall I'm glad I got the physical steelbook and I was able to re-sell 80% of what I paid for. It wouldn't be a bad game at all if it's like 50% off or 67% off, but the way it was marketed and hyped - it was misleading and very disappointing.

I grinded for the platinum because it was easy grind. No uncertainties when it comes to collectibles even though they were all boring. Since I paid for the full price to begin with, might as well grind it. It is really a joke of a grind compare to something like RDR2

Edited by QQ_Liu_Xin_Rui

1 hour ago, QQ_Liu_Xin_Rui said:

I wouldn't have posted this if people weren't dick-riding the game. The user score for this game is ridiculously high for something that has major flaws. Even RDR2 or GOW didn't have that big of a user score.

It really isn't a bad game per se. But the fact that they overhyped it and the stealth was really basic and clunky, (all the different stances seem unnecessary in combat and actually ruins the flow of the combat system the fact that you have to keep switching back and forth, but I can understand how some people may like it), AI was dumb as a bag of rocks. It was very disappointing to say the least. Overall I'm glad I got the physical steelbook and I was able to re-sell 80% of what I paid for. It wouldn't be a bad game at all if it's like 50% off or 67% off, but the way it was marketed and hyped - it was misleading and very disappointing.

I grinded for the platinum because it was easy grind. No uncertainties when it comes to collectibles even though they were all boring. Since I paid for the full price to begin with, might as well grind it. It is really a joke of a grind compare to something like RDR2

I sold off my copy as well and I haven't sold a single Playstation Exclusive on the PS4 yet. The last sony exclusive I sold was beyond two souls on ps3. Probably my least favourite PS4 exclusive too. And there's definitely a group of people who are overhyping this game and using it to trash Last of Us 2 or asking Naughty Dog to learn from Sucker Punch. I'm pretty sure that's what OP is referring to as dick riding not the people who love this game just for what it is. Anyways I hope Sucker Punch doesn't completely go down this route as Infamous and Sly cooper are far better and enjoyable games. 

• Like 1

Or just let people enjoy a thing.

My uninformed conspiracy ever since I saw the high user score was that people attacked it the same way they did TLOU2 but in reverse in a further protest. But if they're all genuine reviews, it's wonderful people like something.

Edited by ChunkyKong64

Game is a HUGE letdown after Infamous First Light and Second Son.

The environment graphics are unreal. The character models look like horse shit.

The gameplay is clunky AF and unfinished, but still somewhat fun.

The story is straight trash. Boring side characters, boring main character, boring plot. (I love learning about Japanese history and culture & this made me want to fall asleep.)

The highly repetitive nature of the open world is exactly why I dislike open world games.

Infamous was better looking and more engaging with this open world stuff IMO. I think the game was rushed because they wanted that COVID19 unemployment money. There was no reason to release this game so unfinished otherwise.

TLOU2 is far and away a better game in all the points that I already made. Not even close to the same quality.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, enclosed-hairdo said:

To OP, when your title says Honest Review, it must contain pros and cons, unless the game is downright shit, which this isn't. When you give a "dick-riding" opinion, it's not honest anymore, more like biased. 

Still, I accept the story has issues, pacing has issues like every open-world RPG. I loved the combat and that's the saving grace for this game. Do I agree with 9.3 user score on MC? Well I don't agree with any score to be honest, 83 MC critic score, 9.3 MC user score neither do any justice to the game, same for 94 critic/~5 user TLOU2 MC scores.

TLDR - honest opinions should have pros and cons, makes it less biased and never be influenced by user/critic scores for any game.

Honest opinions don't have to have pros and cons. Like I said, I got the steelbook version of the game (I almost grabbed the collector's edition but paused on that since I never played their Infamous games) So I actually want to like the game.

I'll admit, the graphics are pretty stunning. However, that was about the only pro that the game had. And they did a half-ass job with that too by using the same character models for pretty much all the side quest characters. So the studio spent time making these nice graphics but didn't bother creating maybe 30-40 more character models.

There are 3 aspects of the game:

1. Story (with or without side quests)

2. Gameplay

3. Graphics

You said gameplay and combat were fun. I listed out my reason why gameplay and combat sucks and doesn't flow well (especially with weird camera angles). So even though the graphics are stunning, it is simply outweighed by the lackluster story with major holes in the plot and awful gameplay.

Who cares about graphics when everything else sucks? There is a reason why people play games that are over 10+ years old still, it is certainly not because of graphics because every triple A game nowadays has better graphics than they did 10+ years ago. Which is why I did not list it as a pro because it didn't even matter. Hell, if I want to look at something stunning, I can just google pictures of Japan (I've been there 3 times for travel/vacations including the island of Okinawa) or other parts of the world that has colorful trees lmao.

Edited by QQ_Liu_Xin_Rui

16 hours ago, Alos88 said:

Thread title is misleading, I was expecting something less biased in either direction and got 'dick riding' in the first sentence.

i agree i thought it was an actual real review but as when i read down its one of those people who wanted to defend last of us 2

1 hour ago, XXIIlII said:

274c.png A Honest Review of the Game

2714.png Bitching thread

thats actually accurate

17 hours ago, LastMinuteSavior said:

What is up with all the "dick-riding"?

There's some deep freudian shit going on right there.

just some shit stirring cause the game got better praise than last of us part 2

• Like 2

Every time I open an “honest review” thread I know I’m about to read a raving rant. ? I haven’t played the game myself so I can’t really discuss the points you’ve made, but I will say that a lot of your complaints seem really silly and petty to me. This kind of read to me like you wanted to hate this one from the beginning and were just looking for every little flaw or silly piece of video game logic to nitpick over and criticize.

20 hours ago, QQ_Liu_Xin_Rui said:

The whole user score system itself is incredibly flawed. We should just do away with number ratings to be honest.

The vast majority of people dish out a number rating based purely on their own enjoyment and feelings towards the game, with very little reasoned thought or analysis going into their rating. Just look no further than the highest rated game on Metacritic - The Last of Us 2. You’ve pretty much got 2 different camps, people who loved the game and people who hated it, giving it 10s and 0s respectively based on how they felt about it. There’s very little middle ground which is just plain silly. That game is neither a flawless masterpiece (no game is), nor a flaming dumpster fire, of which both the critic and user reviews are suggesting.

Occasionally I’ll read very thoughtful comments on Metacritic where someone will actually take the time to discuss various aspects of the game (gameplay, graphics, writing, story, voice acting, AI, innovation and imagination etc) and give an appropriate rating based on these things. But these kinds of thoughtful reviews are few and far between.

Ghost of Tsushima certainly has some glaring flaws that have been pointed out by many people, and it has been criticized for it’s lack of innovations when it comes to the story and gameplay aspects, so I suspect it probably doesn’t deserve the highest rating of all time. But I think the reason it’s having it”s “dick rode” as you so eloquently put is simply because people really, really enjoyed it for some reason. Again, I have not played it so I have no idea what it’s like, but from what I’ve heard from speaking to other players, it’s a game that achieves what it set out to do very well, and it succeeded in reminding a lot of people why they love getting lost in video games so much in the first place.

I’m certainly looking forward to checking it out eventually, but I’ll try to keep your “review” in mind. ?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, QQ_Liu_Xin_Rui said:

Honest opinions don't have to have pros and cons. Like I said, I got the steelbook version of the game (I almost grabbed the collector's edition but paused on that since I never played their Infamous games) So I actually want to like the game.

I'll admit, the graphics are pretty stunning. However, that was about the only pro that the game had. And they did a half-ass job with that too by using the same character models for pretty much all the side quest characters. So the studio spent time making these nice graphics but didn't bother creating maybe 30-40 more character models.

There are 3 aspects of the game:

1. Story (with or without side quests)

2. Gameplay

3. Graphics

You said gameplay and combat were fun. I listed out my reason why gameplay and combat sucks and doesn't flow well (especially with weird camera angles). So even though the graphics are stunning, it is simply outweighed by the lackluster story with major holes in the plot and awful gameplay.

Who cares about graphics when everything else sucks? There is a reason why people play games that are over 10+ years old still, it is certainly not because of graphics because every triple A game nowadays has better graphics than they did 10+ years ago. Which is why I did not list it as a pro because it didn't even matter. Hell, if I want to look at something stunning, I can just google pictures of Japan (I've been there 3 times for travel/vacations including the island of Okinawa) or other parts of the world that has colorful trees lmao.

People like old game graphics because they started off playing those games in that era when high end graphics were technically not possible. New players (and some old) will choose better graphics given an option. If I ask my younger cousin who's 12 to play some of the old 1990s to early 2000s games he won't be impressed by those games as much as current/next gen games. This is always the case, and it's a matter of preference.

The game has a very good aesthetically pleasing art-style that will impress not only new players but also "veterans", you can choose to not prefer it but it's there and it's good. It helps immersing into the gameplay. 

I can defend the camera lock-on option as well. To me, the option to have camera lock-on would mean simply button mashing and chopping away every enemy without any stress. Yes, I would prefer to have that option to lock-on, but I would not use it, because to me it doesn't work with the combat in this game. I prefer smart strategized combat than a button-mashy one. When you play the game on Lethal, you hardly ever have the chance to even lock-on, the option would not have done major impact at all.

• Like 1