A Honest Review of the Game

QQ_Liu_Xin_Rui

I loved Part II, it’s now my favorite game of all time and I would give it a 10/10 because no piece of media has ever impacted me close to as much as it did. But at the start of the year my most anticipated game was Ghost of Tsushima since I typically enjoy open world games such as RDR2 more than Naughty Dog games which are usually very fun but not much more. I have to say Ghost did not disappoint me at all, it was an extremely fun game and was better in every aspect than I thought it would be (except for the story). So I would still give it a 9/10.

I also think this Ghost vs TLOU thing is a troll bait. We shouldn’t be pitting one game against the other or the trolls succeed. Both were really really good. Obviously the game got review boosted on Metacritic by some TLOU haters just like Spongebob before it (that somehow has a 9 user score) but again. If you start hating on the game for it the trolls win.

In Ghost it’s mostly about a fun combat system, an incredibly well designed and beautiful world, an interesting setting and rewarding an engaging exploration. On all of those points I think the game knocked it out of the park personally. The acting did feel subpar and I was disappointed that they didn’t have japanese lip sync but it’s hard to come after the level of production that Naughty Dog can achieve so can’t really blam them for it. I think it’s wrong to focus too much on the story in non-Rockstar open world games. At the end of the day these kind of games are just designed to be fun to play and not much more and it was a blast to play.

We should be glad that we don’t have to choose between turn your brain off and have fun games and deep, thought provoking games because we have amazing devs that can clearly deliver both. And we should celebrate them for it!

Edited by Lovenewton
  • Like 1

Ghost of Tsushima imo was a pretty good game and the rating score on metacritic is reasonable. It has a few issues and I will say it does get repetitive after the storyline. The tales quest are really interesting. But someone like you clearly just wanted attention and made this post. It's not a bad game at all. Was I expecting more? In a sense, yes! But it does have a refreshing environment and gameplay. Thank god for photo mode because I was allover that sh*t for hours! I'm happy there's gonna be multiplayer in the fall and it will give me a reason to come back to the game ;) 

I don't know, man.  I really liked the game.  It wasn't on my radar at all and ended up buying it on a whim the day it released because I saw a cool trailer.  It's definitely one of the most enjoyable video game experiences I've had in recent memory.  I personally have no interest in TLOU series, so that wasn't really a factor in my enjoyment.  I think someone else on this thread mentioned this already, but the game plays the way I always wanted AC games to (talk about a plot line with holes in it).  

Overall, I enjoyed the aesthetic and combat. I actually really enjoyed the story too, even it did become fairly predictable by Act II.  I don't really have a single gripe about the game and am excited for the MP update coming in the Fall.  Dick riding was just a bonus I guess...

Edited by JaneAusten69
  • Like 2

Terrible story, bland characters.

But still a great game! The world, game-play, platforming and most of al combat are just fantastic.

Being a huge Sucker Punch fan I hated the "hand holding" and lack of choice during the game, usually they shine in forming a game to your choices.

The side-stories (have not finished them yet) are a ton better then the main quest because there is less forced stealth and paths.

Overal a very very big recommend game-play wise but this topic pretty much nailed some of the lackluster story decisions, but there are tons more if you look.
Wish I could have been that honorable samurai, that would have made me so happy.

Well, that is the beauty of this site. We all come here for our common interest in video games. I disagree with a lot of what you are saying. But, you are fully entitled to your opinion. I am not going to hate on you for how you feel about a game. I do find the fact that you are calling people "dick-riders" just because they enjoy the game, that's a little excessive. But then again if that is how you feel, you are entitled to those thoughts. I actually really enjoyed the game and will probably pick it up when they slap "Remastered" on it and release it again for the PS5. In fact, I think a lot of people really enjoyed it. Which is reflected in the games overall sales. 

• Like 1

I mostly skimmed through the spoilers on the OP here since I plan to buy this game when it gets a price drop.

But yeah. Since Horizon Zero Dawn I have been a bit indifferent in Sony's exclusives. From 2017 going forward they have basically been heavily story driven, open world or linear.

On 8/17/2020 at 10:06 PM, enclosed-hairdo said:

People like old game graphics because they started off playing those games in that era when high end graphics were technically not possible. New players (and some old) will choose better graphics given an option. If I ask my younger cousin who's 12 to play some of the old 1990s to early 2000s games he won't be impressed by those games as much as current/next gen games. This is always the case, and it's a matter of preference.

The game has a very good aesthetically pleasing art-style that will impress not only new players but also "veterans", you can choose to not prefer it but it's there and it's good. It helps immersing into the gameplay. 

I can defend the camera lock-on option as well. To me, the option to have camera lock-on would mean simply button mashing and chopping away every enemy without any stress. Yes, I would prefer to have that option to lock-on, but I would not use it, because to me it doesn't work with the combat in this game. I prefer smart strategized combat than a button-mashy one. When you play the game on Lethal, you hardly ever have the chance to even lock-on, the option would not have done major impact at all.

I think with many open world games the level of detail just isn't what you're going to find in stuff like Uncharted 4: A Thief's End and The Last of Us Part II. In Uncharted 4 the characters, notably Nathan Drake and Sam Drake resembled actual people. When Nathan had some issues with Elena Fisher I can feel for them because they were indeed supposed to be real characters. In Horizon Zero Dawn, it tried to go all cinematic and touchy feely, but I felt it suffered the same fate as the OP described with Ghosts of Tsushima. The machines Aloy hunts down I felt was the best aspect of the game. The story I had mixed feelings for. The relationship between Aloy and Sylens never really goes anywhere, even in the Frozen Wilds DLC they just sort of end up having to agree to disagree. The game was a slog for me, even more so considering I had to play through the story for over eight hours to get those New Game Plus trophies done.

God of War 2018 I was mixed on, mostly because I absolutely adore and love the old God of War games on the PS2. I can play those games a dozen times through on different trophy accounts and still have fun with them. But with the new God of War they basically scrapped a lot of the good gameplay for a somewhat decent story. Yes a story can be good and all that but if you want me to truly praise your game then you have to have great gameplay. The fights in God of War 2018 were boring, and half of the story was basically Kratos arguing with his brat son Arteus because he refused to talk about his past. A major turning point in the game story wise was Kratos forcing himself to wield the Blades of Chaos once more... you're basically reminded of the demons haunting his past. That was the point where I felt this game was a piece of crap gameplay wise. The series went from adrenaline filled gameplay to one utterly reliant in telling a story. There were some moments that were fun, such as the guy who attacks Kratos early on, and fighting the Queen Valkyrie which I felt was the only real challenge. But it was utterly disappointing from a gameplay perspective.

It's not old game graphics, it's games people enjoyed and feel they're still good because those games focused on gameplay first and foremost. That is something I feel the AAA gaming industry has mostly forgotten. If you ask me, I will tell you God of War 1 thru 3 are some of the best games Sony ever made. Uncharted 1 thru 3 I still think are fun because of the gameplay, like when Nathan Drake is avoiding a tank in Tenzin's village, or when Nathan is helping Eddie Raja fight off some supernaturals. But since around 2015 - 2016 or so, the focus has been more on the presentation and the cinematics, not the gameplay.

Your cousin is only 12, so obviously he thinks Ghosts of Tsushima and God of War 2018 are the greatest things out there. I was very much like him, I thought Perfect Dark on the N64 and Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time were truly awesome. Just goes to show the generation gap between me and him. He's just a kid, so I don't expect him to know much of anything beyond what is currently popular in the AAA gaming market.

• Like 2

It's a chore to play through. On the verge of giving up. The repetition and hand-holding is just too much. I don't know how many times I've followed footprints by now. The combat isn't all that fun, either, since the enemies die with the exact same canned animations every single time. It's not satisfying, and it almost feels last-gen in terms of said animations.

After masterful open-world games like Breath of the Wild and Red Dead Redemption 2, this just doesn't cut it anymore. The game world might look great visually, but everything about it is just static and lifeless.

Edited by EuroTrasho
  • Like 1

Dick riding is fun, try it and maybe the stick up your bum would find its way out. 

I could respond to a few of these points (the ones I bothered to read up to at least)l but why bother. You just want to shit on people who like the game, not talk about it. 

edit: always find it fun when “honest” just translates to “an opinion I agree with”. 

Edited by Elvick_

Honest review yeah right, more like the one finger salute of jealousy to people whom actually liked the game, and considering its sold out everywhere in the world including Japan over TLOUS2 there is obviously a reason for that and I doubt its "dick riding".    

The only trophy on Ghost that I had difficulty with was the killing 5 at once, its all just a matter of timing that right as sometimes the AI fakes you out but I think it's designed to.  I personally loved the game, and no game is perfect and if you are playing it on Easy then naturally it will be easy, you can turn hints and tutorials off in the menu system so as to not have the so called "hand holding" you are talking of.  If I have never played a game before I always play on the easiest difficulty so I can get used to the moves etc of the game and not have a hard time of it, doesn't mean I don't die though, you cannot compare this game with another developers game as no two open world games are going to be the same and TLOUS is linear somewhat rather than open world so their chalk and cheese.  

• Like 1