Multiple sources saying Series X is $599.99. What do you think the PS5 is going to be?

The_Mighty_Ducks

10 hours ago, NathanielJohn said:

I don’t understand all the talk of “repeating the PS3 mistake”. Do people expect consoles to NEVER cross the $599 threshold?

$599 in 2006, adjusted for inflation, is worth $760 today. That’s what “repeating the PS3 mistake” would be.

That’s quite correct but do not overlook the psychological thing in it, and how people can be somewhat irrational - the same blokes that will easily invest a thousand bucks in the newest iPhone shall still be reluctant in putting more than half of it in a PS5/XSX...

In my opinion the Series X may exceed only the $500 threshold if Microsoft proposes also a less powerful, cheaper Series S as a side choice. Sony seemingly not having prepared a similar strategy of proposing two different machines (other than with or without a Blu-ray drive) I’m afraid they will be stuck with this $500 psychological barrier... I do not see the PS5 being more expensive, with the digital-only version price around 10% cheaper.

Edit - adding my prediction: 449 €/$ for the digital version, 499 €/$ for the disc one.

Edited by Neef-GT5

I honestly find it silly that people are expecting PS5 to be $399. $499 maybe, but to me $599 is the reasonable price given the tech. The comparison to PS3 $599 at lauch doesn't make sense either since $599 back in 2006/2007 is worth more now in 2020 due to inflation. Consoles aren't always gonna be the same price forever. Just like the next gen games being $70 instead of $60.

Edited by PostGameBlues
  • Like 3

Everyone hoping for Sony to undercut but actually Series X is undercutting Sony's $649.99 price because the tech is just that much more. Guess no PS5 for a lot of peeps.

8 hours ago, NathanielJohn said:

I don’t understand all the talk of “repeating the PS3 mistake”. Do people expect consoles to NEVER cross the $599 threshold?

$599 in 2006, adjusted for inflation, is worth $760 today. That’s what “repeating the PS3 mistake” would be.

Where did that math came from? 

First of all, inflation vary by country, second of all, after 2006 there was a major financial crisis that dropped prices overall, not sure what indexes you checked but is not near that high, giving that most countries had to regain the curve, maybe i’m overlooking something that it’s utilized in USA I guess.

Third of all, we are amidst a new born financial crisis, some countries are being hit harder, like mine, thus, my country prices are expected at -0,3% for this year, and that’s being generous. People around the world is going to be overall more cautious and conservative, home savings are going to increase and consumption decrease.

And I also want to point, that $ are never rightfully converted into €, they are basically the same price when we should get ~10% less of the price, and given that USA has totally a lot more income per house than most of Europe, its complete madness for us.

Overall, I think that indeed, “repeating” the mistake back in 2006 would be another mistake right now. 

My bet is 449 for Digital and 499 Normal, at best, but I also expect them a new kind of system to make digital more attractive, like points, discounts and loyalty system.

Edit: Another strategy would be to sell to the least elasticity sensitive customers  at a higher price and then discount later, which is highly used before, but honestly, with Xbox going another route and how things are right now, anything can happen.

Edited by BlackTorito

5 hours ago, BlackTorito said:

First of all, inflation vary by country,

So does the $599 price tag. The $599 price tag that people are discussing in this thread is the US price tag, so I used US inflation numbers. There are dozens of US inflation calculators available online that you can use to double check my numbers:

https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/ says that $599 in 2006 is worth $769.85 in 2020

https://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm says that $599 in January 2006 is worth $779.25 in January 2020 (we can't calculate based on November 2020 since obviously it hasn't happened yet)

Pick your favorite calculator. The numbers will vary slightly, but not by much. Provide one source that says it "not near that high" (as the $760 I wrote in my previous post).

• Like 3

14 hours ago, NathanielJohn said:

Sony's mistake with the PS3 wasn't even how expensive it was... it was the fact it was markedly more expensive than the competition, while releasing it like a year later.  Why would people buy a PS3 if the Xbox 360 is considerably cheaper, and they probably already have one?

If both XSX and PS5 are $600 that'd probably work out fine for them.  $500 would be a more marketable price IMO but people will find the extra $100 if they're serious about getting the system at launch... and if they aren't they'll probably wait for the first sale/price drop or holiday bundle anyways.

Edited by Dreakon13

1 hour ago, NathanielJohn said:

So does the $599 price tag. The $599 price tag that people are discussing in this thread is the US price tag, so I used US inflation numbers. There are dozens of US inflation calculators available online that you can use to double check my numbers:

https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/ says that $599 in 2006 is worth $769.85 in 2020

https://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm says that $599 in January 2006 is worth $779.25 in January 2020 (we can't calculate based on November 2020 since obviously it hasn't happened yet)

Pick your favorite calculator. The numbers will vary slightly, but not by much. Provide one source that says it "not near that high" (as the $760 I wrote in my previous post).

No, it does not, it was 599€ for Europe, as I said, price tag does not change for us.

Anyway, my mistake, the sources I checked didn’t have cumulative %. But is honestly irrelevant, as:

a ) 599$ was a failure, thus trying to update that ammount is incorrect.

b ) PCI is a reflection of the market movement, not otherwise, useful for the government, not for businesses, as it is highly inaccurate.

They do not use that index for their price strategies, even less a multinational enterprise like Sony, which I would assume uses the most advanced marketing techniques.

Has Sony confirmed a price yet? I read that it cost them $450 to make the PlayStation 5, so I wouldn't be surprised if they did charge $599 for it. To be honest, it's a fair price for what you get in return. Not to mention, I am still playing on my PS4 from day one release. So for me, that was a great investment. I believe that back when the PS3 came out, they sold it at a loss and made the money back from game sales. 

• Like 1

On 18-8-2020 at 0:33 AM, NathanielJohn said:

Indeed

I believe it IS gonna be €600, and to be honest,it does sound fair

They wont undercut the Xbox, i think they're gonna cost around equal, undercutting is more cutting in their own fingers than it benefits them

But i wont buy unless it gets under €450, or €400, depends if its worth it (by the time it lowers down to €400 we'll be a couple of years further so by then i'll have enough information)

On 8/19/2020 at 6:59 PM, DysectorZA said:

I'd be happy with $399 for the digital, and 499 for the disc. Seems like a decent price point for next gen.

$399 would blow my mind, but I really doubt that'll happen. I don't think the disc drive gap will be that significant, either. $50 at best.

My guess is $499.

Imo I find weird that people think that the difference between digital only and regular consoles will be $50. Not because it is not realistic in cost production (i think it's probably accurate) but cause in marketing would be bad. Ps5 will play ps4 titles, unless you have no ps4 discs backlog and zero intentions to buy discs it would be crazy to avoid the physical edition just for fifty bucks.

Considering Sony always pushing the digital market I wouldn't be surprised if they are manufacturing way more digital editions than regular ones.

11 minutes ago, GoldenShaka said:

Imo I find weird that people think that the difference between digital only and regular consoles will be $50. Not because it is not realistic in cost production (i think it's probably accurate) but cause in marketing would be bad. Ps5 will play ps4 titles, unless you have no ps4 discs backlog and zero intentions to buy discs it would be crazy to avoid the physical edition just for fifty bucks.

Considering Sony always pushing the digital market I wouldn't be surprised if they are manufacturing way more digital editions than regular ones.

I agree. 

Imo it would be a $100 less than the disc version. 

And I hope not.. 

Physical media all the way. 

I have rare DVDs and blurays that you can't get digitally. 

Like Poolhall Junkies or foreign movies and TV shows.

I want that PS5 disc version so bad.. 

• Like 3

Well, obviously all of these “rumours” are total made up bullshit by people wanting to grow their following but, in the evet the console happens to be that much then Sony could undercut by $50 on physical and $100 digital. That price for the Series X would mean MS doesn’t care to subsidise by a huge amount as they are happy for the hardcore to buy first and don’t have hardware dominance as a priority.

I do not care about the price. I have 2 PS5's pre-ordered since around April/May. But my guess is 599 for the PS5 with 4K UHD drive and 499 for the digital only one. I will get 2 Digital PS5's since I only buy games digital and watch my 4K movies on a standalone 4K UHD player.