Multiple sources saying Series X is $599.99. What do you think the PS5 is going to be?

The_Mighty_Ducks

On 8/17/2020 at 9:10 PM, RadiantFlamberge said:

Adjusting for inflation, these consoles in the past cost a lot. Neo Geo ($650 in 1991) would be $1236 in today's dollars. 3DO ($700/1993) was $1255. FM Towns Marty was another bank breaker ($710/1993/$1273). There's no way we'll see a $1200 console now. Neo Geo's advantage was that you got the arcade game at home... $200-300 to own the game instead of dropping 50 cents per play into an MVS cabinet. It didn't exactly tank but it stayed in a niche and never caught up with the 16-bit systems.

$600 for a XSX? Sony, here's your chance. DO it... undercut them and you'll make it back up on those $70 games soon enough. A lower launch price would likely help Sony build an earlier established base. I will admit the XSX lineup hasn't interested me much. Sony should go $500 on the disc version and maybe $450 on the driveless one.

I don't mind the PS5 game prices... they're still cheaper than 16-bit cartridges. Today's $70 is about $35 in 1990's money. I think I'd rather have the launch game prices bumped up to $75 than have the console be $600 at launch. Sony could then lower new game SRPs to $70 at a later time.

The pioneer laseractive was the real deal when it came to expensive console. $970 USD at launch in 1993, and the sega genesis/mega drive pac cost $600 USD, as well as the Turbografx/PC Engine pac that also cost $600 USD

4 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

The pioneer laseractive was the real deal when it came to expensive console. $970 USD at launch in 1993, and the sega genesis/mega drive pac cost $600 USD, as well as the Turbografx/PC Engine pac that also cost $600 USD

At least $1570, since if you didn't have one of those pacs, you could only use it for music and movies. Going all in for $2170 comes out to over $4000 in 2020's money. I see the games were not cheap for it either. And something else I just read about this? A laserdisc game would set you back $120. There were two types of laser disc games- Mega LD games required the MD pac and LDROM2 ones needed the PCE pac.

You're not kidding about the Pioneer LA being very expensive. At least the pacs would allow you to also play the respective console's CD games.

In North America the Turbo-Grafx 16 pac was made in pretty limited quantities, since the TG16 wasn't doing nearly as well as PCE did in Japan.

On 8/23/2020 at 4:14 PM, GoldenShaka said:

it would be crazy to avoid the physical edition just for fifty bucks.

You'd be surprised then what people will do to save a couple bucks.

The optics of charging $100 more for an $18 part is something that only Apple seems to pull off with regularity.

On 8/18/2020 at 1:54 AM, PostGameBlues said:

I honestly find it silly that people are expecting PS5 to be $399. $499 maybe, but to me $599 is the reasonable price given the tech. The comparison to PS3 $599 at lauch doesn't make sense either since $599 back in 2006/2007 is worth more now in 2020 due to inflation. Consoles aren't always gonna be the same price forever. Just like the next gen games being $70 instead of $60.

To be fair, only some next-gen games are confirmed to be $70 at the moment. It still remains to be seen if the price increase will have an impact on their launch sales, and if more games will try to adopt the $70 price point as an industry standard.

8 hours ago, DaivRules said:

You'd be surprised then what people will do to save a couple bucks.

The optics of charging $100 more for an $18 part is something that only Apple seems to pull off with regularity.

in the end, you would prob be saving more by getting the disc version. 

#PhysicalMediaAllTheWay

On 17/08/2020 at 5:27 PM, Vergil said:

If Sony didn't learn from ps3 at 599 then they are idiots! 

I mean... it's been 14 years, inflation means that 599 today is far less money than it was back in 2006, so it's not really the same price at all

Been seeing rumours of 499 and 399, which would be legitimately impressive pricing but I'll believe when I see it

19 minutes ago, MustBeEpic said:

I mean... it's been 14 years, inflation means that 599 today is far less money than it was back in 2006, so it's not really the same price at all

Been seeing rumours of 499 and 399, which would be legitimately impressive pricing but I'll believe when I see it

You actually have a point there. However Electronics go down in price fast while everything else seems to go up in price. Well here in Sweden anyway :)

• Like 1

Xbox has already killed itself. 

Microsoft is fully on board with live service games and everything being online. Yet they lack any real exclusives or features that give the Xbox label an edge over Sony’s PlayStation. 

Phil Spencer is just a moron. He’s a goddamn business executive. He isn’t the type of guy who takes risks and actually tries to push the envelope, regardless of success or no success. 

And charging that much money for their next gen console is just going to get more people to jump ship away from Microsoft.

They might as well just stick to PC gaming, because they clearly aren’t making a lot of people overly fond of their new gaming console.

On 8/31/2020 at 9:49 AM, MustBeEpic said:

I mean... it's been 14 years, inflation means that 599 today is far less money than it was back in 2006...

...except that it's really not. Inflation hasn't been a thing for years. That's why we've been stuck with 0% interest rates for so long. We hardly hit the 2% target for the overall "basket of goods". And it's unclear that a specialty item like a video game console is even affected by that. And that assumes that we don't see better technology that lowers the cost of production.

Edited by starcrunch061

12 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

...except that it's really not. Inflation hasn't been a thing for years. That's why we've been stuck with 0% interest rates for so long. We hardly hit the 2% target for the overall "basket of goods". And it's unclear that a specialty item like a video game console is even affected by that. And that assumes that we don't see better technology that lowers the cost of production.

That was 14 years ago.  You better believe the value of the dollar is not the same.  Even at just under the normal 2% annual inflation rate the Fed has been achieving,  today’s prices are 28.52% higher than they were in 2006.

$599 in 2016 is the equivalent of $769 today.

https://www.in2013dollars.com/us/inflation/2006?amount=1

Just now, djb5f said:

That was 14 years ago.  You better believe the value of the dollar is not the same.  Even at just under the normal 2% annual inflation rate the Fed has been achieving,  today’s prices are 28.52% higher than they were in 2006.

$599 in 2016 is the equivalent of $769 today.

https://www.in2013dollars.com/us/inflation/2006?amount=1

Even so, it doesn't mean that the dollar's purchase should be applied to every object equally. Just because the price of, say, milk is x% higher doesn't mean the price of a video game system follows suit. 

Prices rise, but they don't rise equally. There's no reason to say that because overall inflation occurs, we apply it equally to all items everywhere.

18 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

3 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

Even so, it doesn't mean that the dollar's purchase should be applied to every object equally. Just because the price of, say, milk is x% higher doesn't mean the price of a video game system follows suit. 

Prices rise, but they don't rise equally. There's no reason to say that because overall inflation occurs, we apply it equally to all items everywhere.

There is not anything unique about video games/consoles; it is a just another product bought with discretionary income.  It most definitely follows suit.

5 minutes ago, djb5f said:

There is not anything unique about video games/consoles; it is a just another product bought with discretionary income.  It most definitely follows suit.

That's nonsense, but you're entitled to the view. But if you're going to hold it, let's compare apples to apples.

The PS4 released in the US in November of 2013 for $399. Are you going to tell me that Sony has been taking a loss on every PS4 sold over the last 7 years? Are you going to try to convince me that inflation was in fact 50% over that 7 year period? Of course not. Further, prices didn't deflate from 2006 to 2013. $599 was a garbage price in 2006, and is most likely a garbage price in 2020.

The fact is, this inflation argument is a specious straw man. If you want to spend $600 on the new console, go ahead; it's your money. But let's not pretend that there are somehow universal economic principles behind this potential price increase.

As with any price of any good, if Sony succeeds with it, that's great. If not, well, that's on them. 

Edited by starcrunch061

1 hour ago, starcrunch061 said:

That's nonsense, but you're entitled to the view. But if you're going to hold it, let's compare apples to apples.

The PS4 released in the US in November of 2013 for $399. Are you going to tell me that Sony has been taking a loss on every PS4 sold over the last 7 years? Are you going to try to convince me that inflation was in fact 50% over that 7 year period? Of course not. Further, prices didn't deflate from 2006 to 2013. $599 was a garbage price in 2006, and is most likely a garbage price in 2020.

The fact is, this inflation argument is a specious straw man. If you want to spend $600 on the new console, go ahead; it's your money. But let's not pretend that there are somehow universal economic principles behind this potential price increase.

As with any price of any good, if Sony succeeds with it, that's great. If not, well, that's on them. 

It is simple economics on the buying power of a dollar.  It is not a debate.  I am not talking about what is in the console, its cost to produce, its value the consumer, or its most logical price point.  I am talking about the buying power of the dollar.

You are mixing multiple arguments.  What you think Sony should price it at (subjective) with the undeniable decrease in the buying power of the dollar over time due to inflation (objective not subjective).

$599 in 2006 does not remotely equate to $599 today.  Not in any shape or form.   And $599 today will not closely resemble $599 in 2034.

This might blow your mind but sodas used to be 5 cents a bottle back in the day.

7 minutes ago, djb5f said:

Edited by djb5f

9 hours ago, djb5f said:

This might blow your mind but sodas used to be 5 cents a bottle back in the day.

Starcrunch is 45 years old and is one of the older members of this site. I find many of his arguments to have a pretty clear point. I haven’t agreed with everything he has said but for the most part I have to side with his view on economics. 

The buying power of the dollar has decreased over time. 12 years ago I could buy a lot of 16 oz soda products for around $1. Today I have to pay at least $1.50 for the same Coke and Pepsi. 

5 cents for a soda was back in the early - mid 20th century. Certainly before our time, but we have to understand wages were a lot lower back then. 

If you were to come up with the argument that costs have greatly stripped incomes, then I’m fully in support. Because that has certainly what has happened in the US over the past few decades. 

As for the $600 price tag, that was one of the reasons why the PS3 had a horrible start at launch. The Xbox 360 was cheaper and had a much better library of games, so Microsoft had the advantage in the early going. It wasn’t until around 2009 - 2010 that the PS3 really started to gain ground, but even then you had the May 2011 PSN shutdown, which made a lot of Sony users jump ship to Xbox. 

And I can definitely say Microsoft is not convincing me to buy their new console. There is nothing that stands out. A few good exclusives would be nice, but I think we can agree that the glory days of Halo and Gears of War are past us.

• Like 2

https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-series-x-and-xbox-series-s-release-date-and-price-finally-revealed

What you need to know

• Xbox Series S console design finally leaked.
  • We can confirm the Xbox Series S is $299, and the Series X is $499.
  • Xbox Series S and Xbox Series X will launch on November 10, 2020.

Personally, I'm not sold for a watered down version of next gen consoles even if it will play next gen games at $299... $499 is a good competitive price for the Series X, lets hope PS5 has the same price at least...

Edited by DeepEyes7