Multiple sources saying Series X is $599.99. What do you think the PS5 is going to be?

The_Mighty_Ducks

10 minutes ago, DeepEyes7 said:

I'm not sold for a watered down version of next gen consoles even if it will play next gen games at $299

I will pick up Series S a couple of years later coupled with a 3 or so Gamepass months. Should be enough of investment to play major exclusives I am interested in. (Fable 2, Halo, Gears 2-5, etc)

15 hours ago, Akrioz said:

I will pick up Series S a couple of years later coupled with a 3 or so Gamepass months. Should be enough of investment to play major exclusives I am interested in. (Fable 2, Halo, Gears 2-5, etc)

It wont have a disc reader, you can buy all the old games digital too?

10 minutes ago, SunnyCrappyYT said:

With Xbox Series S being set at a price of $300 I wonder what PS5 All-Digital is going to be.
I find it difficult to imagine Sony selling it at $300 without taking immense losses for every sale.

why would they try to match with the Series S price? Series S has fewer teraflops than even the last generation Xbox One X, a smaller SSD, less RAM and we don’t even know if they had to remove the hardware ray tracing tech to hit that price point. It’s not just a next gen console without the disc drive like the digital PS5, it’s a weaker console sitting between generations (because MS don’t believe in generations unfortunately).

Imagine how many discless versions will be in pawn shops within a year. Of course Sony could release an add on disc drive via usb at an inflated price.

Here in Australia? Like $800 or so for the complete console, maybe 100 less for the eunuch version.

23 minutes ago, Sneeches said:

Series X confirmed = $499 USD.  Series S Confirmed = $299. 

PS5 better be the same and the digital one better be no more than $399. 

I bet the ps5 to either be $499 USD or $490 USD for the disc based one and the digital only to be $290... um... judging from that the ps5 to be less powerful than the XSX, then surprise us with a deal to turn eyes to them ( and I don't think it's something about the online will be free ), I don't know if that's a good deal or not but gamepass now had EA Play with no additional cost, Sony have the Playstation Now and it's not a good service despite the ability to download the games to your ps4, especially when compared to gamepass " the only good thing on Xbox side in my opinion "

Edited by yellowwindow7

7 minutes ago, yellowwindow7 said:

EA Play with no additional cost

If I understood EA subscription correctly they barery offer any new games(no Fallen Order right now, for example) and focus on discounts and trial versions of games. 

Really hope that PS4 Digital will be 399 USD. Seems like a balanced kind of deal. 

5 hours ago, thefourfoldroot said:

remove the hardware ray tracing tech

They seem to promise some ray tracing, so, probably not. 

I’m already sold on ps5 whatever the price. Too invested in trophies; like their exclusives and Japanese output (hoping they retract on the censorship); am far more interested in innovative tech like VR and the more advanced controllers with gyros, haptics and reactive triggers than I am a couple of extra teraflops; plus, shorter loading times than the competition.

To make the overall value proposition better though they do need to roll PS Now and PS+ together.

• Like 1

Microsoft have an interesting strategy for next gen, but it's not something I'll be partaking in.

From what I've heard, Xbox Series X is a bit more powerful than the PS5 when it comes to raw specs, but the PS5 has a faster SSD, and thus ends up being more expensive. If I had to guess, the all-digital PS5 will match Xbox Series X's price of $499 and the disc version will be $549. I don't think they want to go as high as $599 because of what happened with the PS3 launch.

Edited by Undead Wolf
  • Like 1

Sony can't afford easily a price war with money losing consoles. Besides gaming the only division they have providing money is image sensors. Everything else makes little profits or has no grow potential in that area ($$$), as it doesn't matter if it sells or not the bottom line is how much money they make from it.

Microsoft can afford to lose a ton of money in the games division, it's pocket change to them. Their OEM and office divisions provide gazillions of profits that Sony can't even dream of getting. Wanting, they could crush Sony in a snap. But gaming is a peanuts division for Microsoft, which they don't even remotely care. PC gaming is more important to them, as it lines up with their core business.

Lucky for Sony. For now.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

Microsoft have an interesting strategy for next gen, but it's not something I'll be partaking in.

From what I've heard, Xbox Series X is a bit more powerful than the PS5 when it comes to raw specs, but the PS5 has a faster SSD, and thus ends up being more expensive. If I had to guess, the all-digital PS5 will match Xbox Series X's price of $499 and the disc version will be $549. I don't think they want to go as high as $599 because of what happened with the PS3 launch.

Microsoft wants to grab even playstation owners with the S it seems because even if you don't want a Series X, the S is as cheap as a Switch and could be considered a secondary console and more potential gamepass subscriptions. All in with those monopoly aspirations.

I doubt the disc version goes more than $500. Sony isn't using a proprietary drive so I doubt it'll drive up production costs. 

I did convince myself I wasn't going to get another Xbox, but that price for the Xbox Series S is pretty good. So maybe I might it but it all depends if they actually do a good job providing us with some worth wild games next generation specially jrpgs. The specs seem really appealing for the low price, I wouldn't get the Xbox Series X because it just doesn't appeal to me. The fact both using the same CPU which hopefully means good framerates is a great reason to just stick to the S and not get the X. But it all depends on how much support they give the Xbox for the genres I like to play. 

The PS5 would still be my primary console, i'm in no rush to jump to next generation at the moment. I'm expecting the PlayStation 5 to be priced £350 digital and between £400-£450 disc version. At least with Playstation you can't go wrong because regardless of the specs they always do an excellent job at giving us triple a games even the niche games are above the standard Microsoft have been giving us generation. It's definitely going to be an interesting generation for gaming.

I always thought the discless PS5 would cost $399 and the disc-based would be $499. There were rumors about the PS5 hardware costing $450. So in my mind, they want to sell the base unit at a small profit, and lose money on the digital version while making it more affordable and incentivizing people to buy more digital games. As far as I know, Sony makes more money on selling digital games, because their price is the same, but there's no game retailer to take % from each copy, and no expenses to produce the discs.

With all that said, I won't be surprised if the prices end up being higher.