Is this game boring?

JEDLander

I loved Origins so after I finished it I went straight to Odyssey... not as good but still a decent story. My grip with it is how much content there is, which to most is always a good thing, but it kinda feels more of the same and thus becomes a chore.

I'm 72 hours in and still missing 2 episodes of the last DLC plus some short clean up, but yeah, definitely not boring if you take your time with it.

Honestly, the game doesn't really change at all from that point. If you are not invested in the story (which I find really to be the worst part) or you find the gameplay mechanics to be lacking, it's not gonna get any better I'm afraid. The game shines with it's world and exploration, which for someone like me who is really into Ancient Greek history is a great thing. 

IDK about boring, i've been grinding quest (not the randomly generated ones), but i am very frustrated with the combat and level design. Everyone (excluding civilians) become damage sponges, especially the kolossi and the Isu captains and polemarchs and who thought it was a good idea to put in vertical terrain. 

Edited by wackt1
  • Like 1

Yea I found this a massively boring experience. I didn't want to admit it to myself because I'm a big AC fan. I've played most AC games in my time on PS4 and Xbox and I've never disliked any of them until this one. It's just a case of quantity instead of quality. I loved Origins as well. I feel like Origins nailed it in regards to freshening up the series. Odyssey went too far RPG and was a slog to get through. I did like the Kassandra character though, she was cool. 

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, wackt1 said:

IDK about boring, i've been grinding quest (not the randomly generated ones), but i am very frustrated with the combat and level design. Everyone (excluding civilians) become damage sponges, especially the kolossi and the Isu captains and polemarchs and who thought it was a good idea to put in vertical terrain. 

This is another good point. The gear system is terrible, and some enemies just. don't. die. It's so strange, after something like 5 minutes of just taking these enemies apart you sort of notice that they're still nowhere near dead, even though you've slashed them up, poisoned them, set them on fire, bludgeoned them, heads hotted them five times and booted them off a cliff, they're still looking at you like 'Tis but a scratch!' it's just goofy

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, JEDLander said:

This is another good point. The gear system is terrible, and some enemies just. don't. die. It's so strange, after something like 5 minutes of just taking these enemies apart you sort of notice that they're still nowhere near dead, even though you've slashed them up, poisoned them, set them on fire, bludgeoned them, heads hotted them five times and booted them off a cliff, they're still looking at you like 'Tis but a scratch!' it's just goofy

Lmao, gear seriously does not matter at all. It all boils down to maxing out all skills and donning equipment with the highest stats, there is no strat build. It's just "HoW fAsT cAn I kiLl" and even then, most enemies will not die

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JEDLander said:

This is so true! I ended up stacking assassin damage, crit damage, etc because that initial ambush is the only time you can do big damage. You can get to the point where you can one shot almost everything if you get an ambush. Then there's that one chain assassination ability where you can get 4 or 5 chained together depending on your weapon perk. At some point, i got a bow that was assassination damage instead of hunter damage and that was great for the buld as well. Shooting them with a bow even in close combat was way more effective than melee fighting. 

56 minutes ago, wackt1 said:

Everyone (excluding civilians) become damage sponges, especially the kolossi and the Isu captains and polemarchs and who thought it was a good idea to put in vertical terrain. 

Do they? Personally I never had an issue with enemies being damage sponges. Even when they were about 2 or 3 levels above (or whichever it was the max difference before the game decides you can only deal negligible damage). Then again I was playing with a build focused on crit chance and crit damage because I went full assassination.

If I got a crit, the enemy was dead for sure. If not, I only needed to add that one combat skill that dealt assassination damage and they were dead.

I remember laughing my ass off when I one shot the mercenary that had the poison daggers I wanted. The predicted damage was showing like 1/3 of its HP but I got a crit and he died outright.

On topic, I didn't find it boring. Exploring around and completing sidequests was fun (the actual sidequests, not the generic ones). The plat would have been a chore if it asked completion of every little camp, but it doesn't.

Maybe if played more like an action game I would have gotten bored quickly. Sneakong around bases and only killing the targets required while remaining unseen was a lot of fun.

I also always liked greek mythology, so that alone made it interesting.

• Like 1

I haven't really had too much issue with dispatching enemies. I find it hilarious running into a camp or keep and slaughtering everything in site (including mercs) without much concern. I have more fun playing the stealth game though and any chance I get I sneak up behind someone to Spartan kick their ass off a castle wall or cliff. :lol:

Still have the Atlantis DLC to work through and logged over 150 hours so far. Not bored yet... :P

• Like 2

Sadly I didn't find it boring, and recently completed the DLC and I also played as Alexios.  One of the main things I am glad they took out of these games is the constraints, because that kind of took the fun out of it to struggle and get 100% sync in every mission.  The one thing that bothered me was the pronunciations of peoples names and stuff, although a Canadian French company, I would of thought that there were many on the team that had knowledge or studied Greek history and the Classics and of course its not very historically accurate to have female soldiers in Sparta/Greek army because there weren't any, they were all men.  That's trying to be diverse for the sake of it and as a woman I think its stupid, women were mothers, wives and lovers and bisexuality was more common in both Ancient Greece and Rome, given that life expectancy was very short then it was a case of having fun before you die with both sexes.  But, they still got married and had kids because family was everything and having heirs was also important, the Greek philosophers were encouraged to take some male teen company for intellectually purposes and of course they probably slept with them, but they still got married and had kids so I thought the fuss over one of the DLC storylines was ludicrous.   I am looking forward to Valhalla, will probably be playing that on PS5 though, hoping for a price drop as I am not playing £53 for a game and definitely not paying £55 for the new Crash game either, this is the end of the PS4's era and they need to start dropping the prices down to about £35 maybe.

• Like 2

On 8/18/2020 at 0:14 PM, ShadowReplicant said:

I think Odyssey is the Assassin's Creed that finally broke me, and it's the main reason why I won't be buying Valhalla. I found it to be an incredibly mind-numbing game with an open world that is as huge as it is lifeless. All the locations look and sound the same, the game is filled with uninteresting NPCs, spongy enemies and forgettable side quests. Everything is level-gated because Ubisoft needs to push those microtransactions, the combat/stealth is simplistic and monotonous, the traversal/exploration is a chore because you can just run in a straight line and your character will automatically climb everything (no fall damage either) and... I'm just done. The franchise needs a MASSIVE reboot, in my opinion.

The franchise already did a reboot with Origins.

Assassin's Creed just hasn't been the same since Desmond passed on. Layla Hassan is downright awful and annoying. She's basically a stuck up millennial who is too arrogant and full of herself. The present day storyline in the series... can't say I like it.

• Like 3

AC Odyssey was my first in the series, completed that and then jumped right into AC Origins. Man, I had some long gaming sessions with those two completing both games back to back. Glad I was done. Wanted to complete those two first before Valhalla drops. I do plan on going back further in the series, just give me some time. I had fun with Odyssey, but yes, long ass game if you are 100% completing it.