Is this game boring?

JEDLander

24 minutes ago, hhayleey said:

115 hours later I just got the platinum... ?

Loved it at the beginning but what a drag it turned into...

When I hit the 60 hour mark I was convinced I was too far in to give up ? 

With that many hours, I am amazed the plat percentage is as high as it is ( > 30%).  Having to play that many hours is a normal deterrent to platinum rate so folks must have enjoyed it well enough or be gluttons for punishment!

This game interests me more than the scripted stealth paths (with clunky controls) of AC pre-Odyssey but I’ve never put anything like those kind of hours in a single player-only game.  

I've spent ~200 hours in the game (did absolutely everything, and I'm also a slow player in general), and, while I did enjoy it, there's no denying it was kinda boring at certain moments as well. Playing The Witcher 3 right now, and I can see how many elements were ripped off of that game and even worsened. (EDIT: I know this is weird, but I just got an upvote in this post and it resulted in me realizing I very much disagree with this part of my comment nowadays, as to which I feel it's necessary to make further comment for the sake of posterity. It's not so much copying TW3 as it is that TW3 isn't all that unique as the usual gamer™ echo chamber would make you think – which is criticism towards the gamers™ and not the game, just to clarify – and features a lot of elements from other open-world games which, as expected, were also implemented in Odyssey.)

For example, in Witcher, if you face an enemy 10+ levels above you, you can reasonably defeat it even if it takes some time, whereas in Odyssey, if you face an enemy 3+ levels above you, it's gonna take you an eternity to defeat them. Locations in Odyssey are mostly rehashes of each other, and in Witcher, they are much more diverse. Among other things...

However, as I said, it's a game I liked nonetheless, and I'll certainly be coming back once I get the DLCs, but, in my humble opinion, if you are looking for a gigantic RPG to delve into, Witcher is much better.

Edited by Eagle
I'm weird OK let me be
  • Like 3

Currently hitting 90 hrs in the game, got the plat, up to episode 2 of the first dlc. I've played all AC entries up to this (excluding those extra ones like liberation and freedom cry, gotta get back to 100%ing all the old ones). I've gotta say I am also a big fan of the Ezio trilogy, and the present tense hasn't been the same without Desmond. However, I have been really enjoying AC Odyssey. I've definitely enjoyed it more than Origins. Sure, it is taking a long time but I'm just chipping away at it a couple hours most nights and it gets slow in parts but I'm still really enjoying it. I love Kassandra as a protagonist, she is amazing and probably one of my favourites in the whole series. I'm not saying it's the best, and it does take a lot of time if you wanna go for the 100%, but I would still highly recommend it to anyone who's tempted to give it a go.

• Like 1

Game's biggest issue is pacing. Since its replicating an "odyssey", it wants to be about the journey, but a lot of stuff along the way really is filler. Plus the inability to just B-Line the story if desired, you need to participate in some side activity to level up. It gets boring & exhausting if nothing is clicking for you. However, for some people this is great (I was not part of this group).

Edited by jaybrarrrrr
Spelling
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, UltraFire121 said:

A stupid and reluctant question @JEDLander. But to re-iterate, Assassin's Creed Odyssey was really fun, historical and awesome. It doesn't look that boring to me. It takes time, patience and working your way to the top. DLC's were great too though.

Hm speaking of stupid, you might want to google the definition of reluctant... but hey, at least we've got some Ubisoft employees floating about in the forums. Sorry about your game buddy...

• Like 3

It's one of the weaker stories. I'm just about to start the Atlantis dlc and let me tell you.. It gets very tedious.. I'm currently 100hrs in. It took about 80 to plat. My problem with it is that it's such a grind all the enemies after level 50 are like tanks and my hand cramps up from 100 hrs of mashing r1. 

Edited by Kwotey
  • Like 2

Yes, i think it is.

The game is much longer than it need to be. I think they should have put less effort in the size of the greek world and make it more optimized, with less loadings and traversing.

Its nice to have lots o content, but the studios must realize that gamers have just so much time and patience.

Origins was way more enjoyable to me.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Gybelle said:

I enjoy the story and side quests a lot and love to play this title in between other games. Not that hard to get back into the story after a break 1f60a.png.

The loading screens are annoying though -_-. 

I don't know man, quite a few of the quests are "kill X amount of enemies" and fetch quests. 

On 22/8/2020 at 7:18 AM, Kwotey said:

My problem with it is that it's such a grind all the enemies after level 50 are like tanks and my hand cramps up from 100 hrs of mashing r1. 

Why mash R1 when you can press Triangle once? You don't even need that much. Simply get the Pirate set, max Rush Assassinate, Hero Strike, and focus on crit chance and crit damage. Get Predator Shot to pick off far away weak targets that could sound an alarm and there you go.

With that only the very very bulky Polemarchs may survive a hit, in which case you finish them off with Hero Strike.

• Like 1

If this was a 20 hours game it would be amazing, but its not, its 50+ hours and if you play to get 100% trophies its 100+ hours and that makes it drop significantly in quality.

The first few hours that you play the game you are mesmerized by the graphics and the architecture and all the cool armors and what not but soon enough you realize how shallow it is. The quests are boring and uninspired, the RPG mechanics dont have any weight, the combat is spam R1 or use that one skill that is overpowered. All the map exploration is about is going to X place and kill some guys, get some useless loot, ride 10 minutes through opens fields of nothingness, rinse and repeat.

I got my 100% with 130 hours, I was so bored during the platinum run that I wasnt sure if I was going to play the DLCs, but funny enough the Elysium, Erebus and Atlantis ones were quite cool.

• Like 2

I played Origins non stop until I 100%ed it. Really enjoyed it.

Went straight into Odyssey and stopped during Chapter 3. Too much of the same old "clear the bandit camp" objectives over and over and over.

Ironically I jumped across to Ghost of Tsushima which itself suffers from Odyssey's "clear the bandit camp" over and over and over.

And while I've never liked the modern day storyline in AC, whoever wrote Layla's hyper annoying IT support sidekick needs to write her out. Shrill, sarcastic and antagonistic. Awful character that is in no way the "cool edgy" character they thought they were writing. Then again, all the modern day IT support characters have always been sarcastic and annoying.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/08/2020 at 0:02 AM, hhayleey said:

115 hours later I just got the platinum... ?

Loved it at the beginning but what a drag it turned into...

When I hit the 60 hour mark I was convinced I was too far in to give up ? 

Me too haha, I actually enjoyed going for the plat since I'm a fan of Greek Mythology however, the gameplay was pretty lackluster and the map was absurdly huge and the DLC was repetitive and boring too. Glad it's done :D

• 2 weeks later...

I'm probably 60+ hours in so far, and currently taking my second break from it. I'm up to chapter 7.

The activities are all hyper repetitive. Everything is a fetch quest. Go find a man being held captive in a fort. Now do that dozens more times.

The story, but more specifically the side stories, are all just waffle. You're meant to be on this grand quest but you're always running around helping farmers chase off wolves, and having a long discussion about it. I completely lost interest in the story and would just hammer on the circle button to skip all the dialogue, select a yellow answer, and run to whatever fort was holding the current guy I had to rescue. I flat out ignore all the notice board quests because it's just clutter that makes the game feel bogged down.

I could do maybe two weeks at a time before I had to go play something else. The quest for platinum just feels like a chore.

On the plus side, I'm glad the sailing is back.

• Like 2