Is this game boring?

JEDLander

I wouldn't call it boring as such I'd just say the world is big but it just feels empty it also has other problems like hunting down the cult of kosmos isn't as interesting as ubisoft thinks it is and the amount of stuff you need to upgrade your ship to legendary is beyond dumb but I do enjoy my time with it I just feel like it's bigger than it needs to be.

I was looking at the current PSN deal, £25 for the Ultimate Edition, but think i'll pass. The series has been on a major nosedive ever since AC3. Black Flag introduced something different and was amusing for a while, but that got stale quick too.

Origins is the last AC game i'll ever play. Ubisoft have gotten sloppy. It's now taking half the elements from the Far Cry series with a bigger open world and more tedious tasks to do, without any of the entertainment value or story. The whole RPG element was the death knell for it.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2020 at 11:52 AM, da-Noob123 said:

I'll preface this with the fact that I have only played about 30 hours and have yet to make it to Athens and I have not played Origins yet.

Before starting I told myself this is going to be a different experience unlike any previous AC. Plus, I love history especially Ancient Rome, Greece, and Egypt. 

I have found this to be similar to Dragon Age Inquisition though the map might be bigger. DA:I will most likely have the better story but I like Odyssey's so far. Exploring Ancient Greece is awesome but like Inquisition there is lot of map to explore with something truly interesting only occasionally and sometimes I just want to get to the next sync viewpoint and get out of Dodge so to speak. Then I find a side quest that I really enjoy. I have had a couple that really stood out while island hopping. The Dagger questline was good, as was the love potion one (highly recommend calling the guards at the end it was hilarious), and then there was quest to help a little girl named Khloe, get joo-lry for her friends- that one broke my heart.

So far there is a lot of nonmemorable tracking down "?" on the map but quests like the above have made it worthwhile so far.

I am nearing the end of my time with Odyssey. Currently around 130 hours and after finishing the 3rd part of Fate of Atlantis and my last main game side quest for the plat it will be 150 most likely. Frankly the game is too large, it would a ton more side quests to warrant a map of this size and it did shine during the quests it has - mostly at least. However, I spent the bulk of my game listening to podcasts as I traveled from one end of Greece to the other, so yes there were indeed boring times but quests like in my quote above made it somewhat worthwhile. That said I wouldn't play through again to make different decisions whereas Mass Effect/ Dragon Age I would and have despite the time investment. 

It took me two months to finish this game (not platinum or anything.. just completing the game in general.) due to how repetitious it became. I enjoyed the environments and the Greek history (which obviously knew about going into the game) but the gameplay was lackluster and some of the missions felt samey and boring.

With that said, I haven't really recommended it to anyone who has asked me if they should get it. I tell them how I feel, but I also tell them that if they have a better attention span than I that they may actually enjoy it a bit more. Also to be aware that the map is really large and empty as others have mentioned.

AC: Origins took me just under 100 hrs to 100%. Although I did enjoy the game, halfway through I had already decided that Origins was my last AC game.

The map was way too big, and the progression system (can't unlock areas without leveling up) really soured the experience for me. I hate having to upgrade everything constantly, and too much RPG elements.

AC games have always been fairly big, but Origins was about the limit for me. When I heard Odyssey was even bigger, I knew I was done for sure.

• Like 1

i did find it took a good bit to get going but it was great. My biggest complaint was random level spikes, basically forcing you to do side quests.

main mission: level 9

main mission: level 16

like damn lol.

The world was big but it had a lot to do. Rather that, then a big map thats empty af....(Rage 2)

• Like 1

Its all a matter of taste really. just got the platinum last night and all i have left is the hidden blade and atlantis dlc. i wouldn't say i enjoy it more than origins. to me, they're about the same in my book. i'd give them both a 7 out of 10. the plat and 100% on both weren't hard, but tedious. origins had the all locations completed bullcrap while odyssey had the ship upgrade to legendary. both needlessly tedious. story wise i would have to say i favor odyssey over origins, but again. its all a matter of personal taste and preference.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it all comes down what you like in a game, I really liked, Origins, Odyssey and Valhalla, I have the platinium and 100% in origins and odyssey and the platinium in Valhalla since it only just got out recently.

origins was the first Assassin creed game I platiniumed, I loved everything about this game, I really liked you only had to do the first two or three main missions before you were let loose and could run everywhere, which I found extremely tiresome in the games before that was locked behind invincible walls, it was a huge map, but I loved every second of it.

oddysey, really loved it also, it took a couple of hours or five before I really liked it, but after that it was smooth sailing, amazing game also.

valhalla, another game I really enjoyed, great game, some of the bugs were tiresome, but overall a Great game also

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2020 at 9:40 AM, BluesFanUK said:

I was looking at the current PSN deal, £25 for the Ultimate Edition, but think i'll pass. The series has been on a major nosedive ever since AC3. Black Flag introduced something different and was amusing for a while, but that got stale quick too.

Origins is the last AC game i'll ever play. Ubisoft have gotten sloppy. It's now taking half the elements from the Far Cry series with a bigger open world and more tedious tasks to do, without any of the entertainment value or story. The whole RPG element was the death knell for it.

I say it started going downhill with Revelations. The set pieces and the scenery weren't as memorable as what we got in Assassin's Creed 2 and Brotherhood. Only a few people in the western world really care about Ottoman/Turkish culture and history, whereas I think all my real life friends and my family are somewhat familiar with Rome, and it's rich history.

Assassin's Creed 3 was dull because despite being from the country the game focuses on, the colonial time period was just boring to me. Ubisoft completely screwed up the present day story and I had a bunch of bugs and glitches when I went for that platinum. Unity was even worse because everything felt so clunky and cumbersome.

Origins sort of lifted my hopes for a while, but then I realized that it borrowed heavily from The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and Bloodborne/Dark Souls. Both games which I might add are vastly superior both in quality and enjoyment. Origins was just another laundry list, having to discover and complete all locations was boring and time consuming. Odyssey just looks to be more of the same.

I don't think I want to touch Far Cry 5 and Far Cry: New Dawn, that series in my opinion is even worse off. The same story telling, the same stupid NPCs, the same monotonous tasks that I had to do in Far Cry 4. Can't say much on Watch Dogs, but it resembles a modern day GTA with an emphasis on hacking by quirky hipsters.

Since I have Odyssey I have to play it, spent too much money on it to just toss it aside.

• Like 1

Valhalla unfortunately isn't much different especially if you're pursuing the platinum. The completionist trophy alone is extremely tedious and despite hitting the 120HR mark I still have a shitload to accomplish, sadly (although I would say I've been taking my time somewhat). With that said, I've been getting rather bored with it; so many useless activities padded into the game just to provide the player with a sense of adventure, even if said adventure feels meaningless at times. 

On the note of Odyssey, it's without a doubt the biggest map I ever played in a video game, but even then it's a very dry and uninspired map at that IMO. I love the franchise but Ubisoft really needs to provide AC with a team of developers who can bring new and creative concepts to the table so that it can push the boundaries on what AC can achieve; either that or just retire it altogether. 

• Like 3

I'm doing the DLC at the moment and I will say the first DLC is very very boring. All three eps are exactly the same: kill these six or seven cultists ... again.

And the story is unfulfilling. It's just more dispensable bad guys who say things like "We are eternal, you can never win". AC really needs to invest in a good villain instead of all these "I want power" bad guys who get killed and the story doesn't go anywhere. Feels like this has been the case since AC3: a lot of potential ideas, but ultimately the same middling story each time and no progress in a larger arc.

I'm hoping the Atlantis DLC is more interesting if only for the change of scenery.

On 12/01/2021 at 9:39 PM, Trini said:

Valhalla unfortunately isn't much different especially if you're pursuing the platinum. The completionist trophy alone is extremely tedious and despite hitting the 120HR mark I still have a shitload to accomplish, sadly (although I would say I've been taking my time somewhat). With that said, I've been getting rather bored with it; so many useless activities padded into the game just to provide the player with a sense of adventure, even if said adventure feels meaningless at times. 

On the note of Odyssey, it's without a doubt the biggest map I ever played in a video game, but even then it's a very dry and uninspired map at that IMO. I love the franchise but Ubisoft really needs to provide AC with a team of developers who can bring new and creative concepts to the table so that it can push the boundaries on what AC can achieve; either that or just retire it altogether. 

I keep hearing things like this. I think I'll skip Valhalla completely, even if it turn ups as a cheap GOTY edition. Odyssey has really shown me that I could have spent my time on other games, instead of this bloated grind of an RPG they've locked themselves into.

I agree that the series needs a reboot. Again. They leaned far too hard into RPG territory and just don't have interesting content to support it. Too big, too shallow. I'd love to see Assassin's Creed go in more of a Hitman direction: get back to the roots and craft of being an assassin, instead of trying to be a witcher.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, P_Pigly_Hogswine said:

I agree that the series needs a reboot. Again. They leaned far too hard into RPG territory and just don't have interesting content to support it. Too big, too shallow. I'd love to see Assassin's Creed go in more of a Hitman direction: get back to the roots and craft of being an assassin, instead of trying to be a witcher.

The 100 sync requirements need to stay dead. They were irritating to deal with and they were sort of detrimental to who is supposed to be an Assassin. You’re supposed to think of ways to assassinate your targets. 

In the newer games you just blindly charge and attack enemies Rambo style, without any thought. I mean it’s just stupid. While I will admit the combat at times was weak and wasn’t all too great in The Witcher 3, you were still able to properly strategize and use witcher potions at the right moment. You could take on enemies on a higher level and be able to beat them with the right gear. But with Origins and Odyssey, enemies are practically sponges. It doesn’t matter as long as you’re the same level or higher, having high enough gear just makes it where you can mash the attack button and not worry about dying. But attack enemies who are higher level, and you literally don’t stand a chance. 

It’s just dumbed down game mechanics that go completely against what Assassin’s Creed was meant to be. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

The 100 sync requirements need to stay dead. They were irritating to deal with and they were sort of detrimental to who is supposed to be an Assassin. You’re supposed to think of ways to assassinate your targets. 

In the newer games you just blindly charge and attack enemies Rambo style, without any thought. I mean it’s just stupid. While I will admit the combat at times was weak and wasn’t all too great in The Witcher 3, you were still able to properly strategize and use witcher potions at the right moment. You could take on enemies on a higher level and be able to beat them with the right gear. But with Origins and Odyssey, enemies are practically sponges. It doesn’t matter as long as you’re the same level or higher, having high enough gear just makes it where you can mash the attack button and not worry about dying. But attack enemies who are higher level, and you literally don’t stand a chance. 

It’s just dumbed down game mechanics that go completely against what Assassin’s Creed was meant to be. 

Yeah I agree on this. All the silent assassin abilities feel hugely underpowered. The game wants you to go in swords blazing.

The way scaling works in this game, it's the same experience no matter your level: enemies and bosses are always sponges. Some of the bosses are laughable how many sword hits they take to kill, even with top level legendary gear and stats.

Not sure if it's a thing in Valhalla, but the magic see through walls and tell you what to do eagle needs to go away. Or at least behave less like a modern UAV.

• Like 1

On 12.1.2021 at 7:46 AM, Spaz said:

I say it started going downhill with Revelations. The set pieces and the scenery weren't as memorable as what we got in Assassin's Creed 2 and Brotherhood. Only a few people in the western world really care about Ottoman/Turkish culture and history, whereas I think all my real life friends and my family are somewhat familiar with Rome, and it's rich history.

Assassin's Creed 3 was dull because despite being from the country the game focuses on, the colonial time period was just boring to me. Ubisoft completely screwed up the present day story and I had a bunch of bugs and glitches when I went for that platinum. Unity was even worse because everything felt so clunky and cumbersome.

Origins sort of lifted my hopes for a while, but then I realized that it borrowed heavily from The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and Bloodborne/Dark Souls. Both games which I might add are vastly superior both in quality and enjoyment. Origins was just another laundry list, having to discover and complete all locations was boring and time consuming. Odyssey just looks to be more of the same.

I don't think I want to touch Far Cry 5 and Far Cry: New Dawn, that series in my opinion is even worse off. The same story telling, the same stupid NPCs, the same monotonous tasks that I had to do in Far Cry 4. Can't say much on Watch Dogs, but it resembles a modern day GTA with an emphasis on hacking by quirky hipsters.

Since I have Odyssey I have to play it, spent too much money on it to just toss it aside.

I agree with you for the most part, with one exception: AC: Blackflag.

The game's story/characters were the last ones I enjoyed and really cared about in an ubisoft game.

I also loved the ship parts, which surprised me back then because I hated those ship missions in AC3. At first I didnt even plan to buy it.

IMO, blackflag is the best/most fun game in the series but not the best AC ( AC2, Brotherhood) because it is a pirate game.

Edited by GoDBoss173
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, GoDBoss173 said:

I agree with you for the most part, with one exception: AC: Blackflag.

The game's story/characters were the last ones I enjoyed and really cared about in an ubisoft game.

I also loved the ship parts, which surprised me back then because I hated those ship missions in AC3. At first I didnt even plan to buy it.

IMO, blackflag is the best/most fun game in the series but not the best AC ( AC2, Brotherhood) because it is a pirate game.

I love Edward Kenway. His sense of humor and his love for drinking and women. Adewale was a good quartermaster, so I was glad to see him get his own adventure. 

Black Flag is still solid, I just don’t like the multiplayer in it. Rogue added a couple new features but it was basically a reskin. Still much better than Unity. 

It’s amazing that Ubisoft had all this potential to come out with a masterpiece as there is lots you can do with Greek mythology. But once again they managed to squander that potential, and that shows in the comments here. 

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

On 1/15/2021 at 1:48 AM, Spaz said:

100% sync was actually really good at first because they were a challenge to pull off and felt rewarding when you did. By the time you get to Unity though they become uninspired and, in some ways, counterintuitive. Like, the ancestor totally would not have done the things the game requires you to do for 100%...

On 1/15/2021 at 3:22 AM, P_Pigly_Hogswine said:

Yeah I agree on this. All the silent assassin abilities feel hugely underpowered. The game wants you to go in swords blazing.

The way scaling works in this game, it's the same experience no matter your level: enemies and bosses are always sponges. Some of the bosses are laughable how many sword hits they take to kill, even with top level legendary gear and stats.

Not sure if it's a thing in Valhalla, but the magic see through walls and tell you what to do eagle needs to go away. Or at least behave less like a modern UAV.

Sorry, I have to disagree.  The silent assassin approach is by far and away the most OP play-style in the game in terms of damage numbers. My Kassandra can assassinate polemarchs in one hit and that's not even with my strongest assassin build; that's just playing as a jack of all trades. My pure assassin build can kill bosses in one hit. All on nightmare difficulty btw. A single hero strike can end a boss fight in seconds. While the games tries to limit opportunities for stealth, the actual damage you do when playing as a pure assassin is unmatched.

I also never understood the complaints about the level gating...it's an open world game - do people expect to blow through the main campaign without touching side missions? What's the point of an open world game if it's just a linear progression system?

On 16/01/2021 at 8:25 PM, Vault-TecPhantom said:

I also never understood the complaints about the level gating... it's an open-world game. Do people expect to blow through the main campaign without touching side missions? What's the point of an open-world game if it's just a linear progression system?

The problem is that level scaling is automatic, so, everytime you level, enemies level up with you, which is kinda counterintuitive to the whole "leveling up" thing, since you never really feel you're increasing your power.

Also, if you compare it with Witcher III, for example, you can reasonably take on more difficult enemies there with preparation, unless they're really high-leveled. In Odyssey, enemies 3-4 levels above you already wipe the floor with you, which doesn't make much sense either.

Edited by Eagle

1 hour ago, Vault-TecPhantom said:

100% sync was actually really good at first because they were a challenge to pull off and felt rewarding when you did. By the time you get to Unity though they become uninspired and, in some ways, counterintuitive. Like, the ancestor totally would not have done the things the game requires you to do for 100%...

I do agree. But there was stuff like finishing the first Romulus lair in Assassins Creed Brotherhood in under 8 minutes. The mission before that, you have to kill all Romulus followers without taking a hit. Which I will guarantee, you will not get that done on your first attempt. 

They were however done with some creative leeway. In Unity and Syndicate they were completely tacked on and laughable, which goes with my argument that AAA gaming has become much easier over time. 

57 minutes ago, BRKs_Eagle said:

Also, if you compare it with Witcher 3, for example, you can reasonably take on more difficult enemies there with preparation, unless they're really high-leveled. In Odyssey, enemies 3-4 levels above you already wipe the floor with you, which doesn't make much sense either.

Exactly. Ubisoft clearly didn’t implement the leveling system with much thought.

5 minutes ago, BRKs_Eagle said:

The problem is that level scaling is automatic, so, everytime you level, enemies level up with you, which is kinda counterintuitive to the whole "leveling up" thing, since you never really feel you're increasing your power.

Also, if you compare it with Witcher 3, for example, you can reasonably take on more difficult enemies there with preparation, unless they're really high-leveled. In Odyssey, enemies 3-4 levels above you already wipe the floor with you, which doesn't make much sense either.

You can actually turn off level scaling on 'normal' and 'easy'. On nightmare, enemies stay the same level as you but you grow powerful in other ways such as abilities and gear. My Kassandra at level 50 is waaaaay more powerful than a level 50 polemarch, for instance, because at that point I would have all of my abilities and top gear.  I just feel like people bitched at the game for something that was entirely easy to overcome.

On 16/01/2021 at 9:37 PM, Vault-TecPhantom said:

You can actually turn off level scaling on Normal and Easy. On Nightmare, enemies stay the same level as you but you grow powerful in other ways, such as abilities and gear. My Kassandra at level 50 is waaaaay more powerful than a level 50 polemarch, for instance, because at that point I would have all of my abilities and top gear.  I just feel like people bitched at the game for something that was entirely easy to overcome.

Uh... no, you can't. You can reduce its effects, but you can't completely disable it.

Edited by Eagle