Is this game boring?

JEDLander

I really liked Odyssey; exploring the Greek islands was so exciting and fun and Kassandra was an excellent protagonist. I think I put around 100-110 hours into the game to earn the Platinum and 100% all DLC. I would say it's one of my favourite AC games up there with II and Black Flag.

It's such a shame that (in my opinion) they dropped the ball so hard with Valhalla. I found that one to be so boring and such a slog compared to Odyssey. Orlog was fun though...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KristophDJHero said:

I really liked Odyssey; exploring the Greek islands was so exciting and fun and Kassandra was an excellent protagonist. I think I put around 100-110 hours into the game to earn the Platinum and 100% all DLC. I would say it's one of my favourite AC games up there with II and Black Flag.

It's such a shame that (in my opinion) they dropped the ball so hard with Valhalla. I found that one to be so boring and such a slog compared to Odyssey. Orlog was fun though...

Oh man - I'm mentally steeling myself for this one - everyone seems to be saying pretty much this - even the people who liked Odyssey (i.e. people of good taste ?)

Kassandra is certainly one of the better AC Protagonists - right up there with Edward Kenway, Avaline, Evie Frye and older Ezio ?

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, KristophDJHero said:

36 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Oh man - I'm mentally steeling myself for this one - everyone seems to be saying pretty much this - even the people who liked Odyssey (i.e. people of good taste ?)

I hear this A LOT. There is literally a ton of people on Reddit who have pretty much said the same thing. Loved both Origins and Odyssey, but found Valhalla utterly monotonous and boring.

And they probably don't feel this until they're over 50 hours in. I mean it makes sense. Origins and Odyssey both dealt with Egyptian and Greek mythology. Norse mythology is the THIRD, thus you have Valhalla.

I just know it takes over 100 hours for the platinum, and collectibles are far more aggravating to get.

5 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

I hear this A LOT. There is literally a ton of people on Reddit who have pretty much said the same thing. Loved both Origins and Odyssey, but found Valhalla utterly monotonous and boring.

And they probably don't feel this until they're over 50 hours in. I mean it makes sense. Origins and Odyssey both dealt with Egyptian and Greek mythology. Norse mythology is the THIRD, thus you have Valhalla.

I just know it takes over 100 hours for the platinum, and collectibles are far more aggravating to get.

Yeah - I'm certainly going to play it at some point (The fact that my favourite AC games are Revelations, Unity, China & Odyssey pretty much tells me I'm out of step with the popular consensus on the series anyways :S)...

...but I can't deny that the overall tepid response to the game has made it slide from an "immediate purchase" to a "when I get around to it" kind of affair...

I found Odyssey to be a bit of a slog to be honest. I loved Origins and it probably ranks as either my favourite AC, or it's very close to it, so I went into Odyssey with great expectations but I ended up being so disappointed. Compared to Origins it was just so boring, especially the world. Every location was a copy and paste job, right down to the collectibles and enemy patterns. I know Origins had that to some extent too but the world in my opinion was vastly superior. Just the pyramids on their own were awesome and way more interesting than anything in Odyssey. Odyssey was so flat and nothing stood out.

A lot of people seem to prefer Odyssey over Origins but I just can't see it. Every aspect of Odyssey was weaker in my opinion. I love AC but even I had trouble getting the 100% in Odyssey. It got to the point where I just rushed through the DLC and paid little attention to anything that was happening, just so I could be done with it. Normally I would complete every location and do everything possible but I just didn't have the will to do so in Odyssey. 

As for Valhalla, I was going to pick it up at launch but then I heard about a lot of bugs and that put me off at the time. And then a lot of people said it was a horrible slog to get through so that sealed my decision. I will get it at some point but I'm kinda burnt out on Ubisoft games at the moment. With the recent announcement of the direction AC is heading towards, Valhalla will likely be the last entry I pick up too.

• Like 1

Odyssey was the first Assassin's Creed I actually decided to get the platinum for and it was a brutal experience for me. The story was interesting at first but I quickly grew disinterested (maybe because of my selection of Alexio) and the gameplay loop was not very fulfilling for me. To me it felt like Witcher 3 Lite. There were a few missions sprinkled throughout that I did enjoy, usually involving the mythical beast quests, but these missions are far and few between. Getting the platinum for this game felt like a part time job for me in the end. But Assassin's creed is just likely not for me. I have tried some of the other games of the series on an alt account like AC3 and AC4 but these games were not able to hook me either.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2021 at 0:19 PM, Quink666 said:

Valhalla grind is far worse. Odyssey was a joy compared to Valhalla when it comes to collectible grind. But both a worth playing especially if you wait 1 year after each released. Youll get it cheaper and it will probably be patched to a more playable state.

I'm about 70 Hours in and I'm loving Odyssey more than I thought I would. I think you are totally right about the patches, worked for me for Unity and I think it's definitely working here. Lots of the early complaints were about the level grind, so I took on more bounties and mission board missions to help me along at the beginning... about 40 hours in or so I knew I didn't need to be doing that. Started main lining things a bit more didn't complete every map icon and I'm in Chapter 7 at level 52 and still very much enjoying the main missions, free DLC quests, and gold(!) quests. The only extra mission board quests I pick up are for the orichalcum. Have picked up some legendary armor and ship lieutenants that add on to the experience for me. 

Guessing I'll try Valhalla late this year around the holidays to give myself a break. But at this rate I still have a good chunk of the main game and If I'm still enjoying myself, lots of DLC. 

Not sure if you will see this, but I took your message to heart and am just enjoying this game for what it is instead of doing it to 'get to the next one'.

Cheers!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Susto668 said:

I'm about 70 Hours in and I'm loving Odyssey more than I thought I would. I think you are totally right about the patches, worked for me for Unity and I think it's definitely working here. Lots of the early complaints were about the level grind, so I took on more bounties and mission board missions to help me along at the beginning... about 40 hours in or so I knew I didn't need to be doing that. Started main lining things a bit more didn't complete every map icon and I'm in Chapter 7 at level 52 and still very much enjoying the main missions, free DLC quests, and gold(!) quests. The only extra mission board quests I pick up are for the orichalcum. Have picked up some legendary armor and ship lieutenants that add on to the experience for me. 

Guessing I'll try Valhalla late this year around the holidays to give myself a break. But at this rate I still have a good chunk of the main game and If I'm still enjoying myself, lots of DLC. 

Not sure if you will see this, but I took your message to heart and am just enjoying this game for what it is instead of doing it to 'get to the next one'.

Cheers!

That's awesome! Hopefully you can do the same with Valhalla in the future. That's the best way to play videogames, after all or most DLC have dropped and the game has been patched and is in its most stable form. I myself play to much video games that if i want something new to play i kinda have to play most AAA games fairly early after release.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kkulifay said:

All- new AC player here, so excuse my ignorance. I’m about 75% complete with AC: Unity. It’s been a grind……. How does Odyssey compare in terms of activities to 100% completion? Similar? 2x more things to do? Thx in advance. 

Odyssey is much more of a grind compared to unity. Odyssey drags on 30-40 hours than it should. As of activities there’s is a lot more to do in odyssey for the 100% but sometimes less is more and I definitely enjoyed my time in unity compared to odyssey. I wouldn’t recommend it if your new to AC. Definitely go for AC 2- revelations or even something like rogue

• Like 2

On 2021-07-23 at 3:01 PM, kkulifay said:

All- new AC player here, so excuse my ignorance. I’m about 75% complete with AC: Unity. It’s been a grind……. How does Odyssey compare in terms of activities to 100% completion? Similar? 2x more things to do? Thx in advance. 

You can’t really compare the newer AC games (Origins, Odyssey, Valhalla) to the older ones since the older games are basically linear, mission-based gameplay while the newer ones are effectively open-world much like other Ubisoft games like Far Cry, Watch Dogs, etc.

You don’t need to complete Odyssey to 100% to get Platinum, and the newer games don’t have the “100% sync” requirements on each mission so you don’t have to replay them (it’s not even an option) trying to get something done in a certain way. The older AC games were somewhat annoying because of the 100% sync stuff, and since that’s been eliminated in the newer games you don’t feel like it’s as much of a grind. However, since they’re typically much larger games they can take longer to complete if you’re running around doing side missions and other stuff. On the other hand, at least you have some variety in what you can so, it’s not just “do this mission, now do that mission, go collect feathers, etc”.

Basically, if you’ve played other Ubisoft open-world games, that’s what the newer AC games are like. Yes, Odyssey is long compared to the older games but at the same time you have a lot more variety in what you can choose to do in the game. Is it “too long”? Dunno, that’s more of a personal opinion. I just got Platinum today after playing for 80 hours or so, but a lot of that time was spent doing what I wanted to do and not just grinding through the story as fast as possible.

I will say, as someone who has played almost all of the AC games, I like the approach of the newer ones much more.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Swotam said:

You can’t really compare the newer AC games (Origins, Odyssey, Valhalla) to the older ones since the older games are basically linear, mission-based gameplay while the newer ones are effectively open-world much like other Ubisoft games like Far Cry, Watch Dogs, etc.

You don’t need to complete Odyssey to 100% to get Platinum, and the newer games don’t have the “100% sync” requirements on each mission so you don’t have to replay them (it’s not even an option) trying to get something done in a certain way. The older AC games were somewhat annoying because of the 100% sync stuff, and since that’s been eliminated in the newer games you don’t feel like it’s as much of a grind. However, since they’re typically much larger games they can take longer to complete if you’re running around doing side missions and other stuff. On the other hand, at least you have some variety in what you can so, it’s not just “do this mission, now do that mission, go collect feathers, etc”.

Basically, if you’ve played other Ubisoft open-world games, that’s what the newer AC games are like. Yes, Odyssey is long compared to the older games but at the same time you have a lot more variety in what you can choose to do in the game. Is it “too long”? Dunno, that’s more of a personal opinion. I just got Platinum today after playing for 80 hours or so, but a lot of that time was spent doing what I wanted to do and not just grinding through the story as fast as possible.

I will say, as someone who has played almost all of the AC games, I like the approach of the newer ones much more.

Pretty much this. You can't compare the new approach with the old style.

Also, I find people who complain about the "grind" are those who just want to blow through the main campaign as soon as possible and move on to the next AAA game which makes no sense in an open world game that is designed for you to do everything it has to offer.

• Like 1

You managed to get the plat within 55 hours???? My god it took me exactlly 100 hours. I wasn't aware that I was so slow. Sick. 

And my opinion on the thread: Spoilers ahead don't read if you aren't done with the game:

First 40 hours were amazing I loved everything about the game, the world, the main quest, characters, graphics but once I finished the main plot line, man the game went down to shit. I was so annoyed to clean all this stuff up. Some collectibles were really fun, but this stupid dice game for example... what the fuck -.- 

Worst part for me was Asgard and Jotunheim, I mean I really get what they were trying to do here, to add some nuances about northern mythology and it might have worked if they would have created this whole dreamish sequences way shorter and more on point, but it dragged me so far away from the things I experienced before in the game that it all felt so terribly wrong. It was so boring and dull to finish these absurd side quests that I really asked myself why they did that. 

But on the other side I really enjoyed to ride through england, through Norway. It's really really hard for me to come to a conclusion there is a lot of light but even more dark.

Ubisoft should really stop making all these games sooooo big jet sooooo empty and repetetive. They need to learn that a good narration and a beautiful world don't need to be packed with irrelevant stuff. This game could have been so so much better in the end. 

I don't find it boring, per se. It's satisfying to go round clearing all the locations, and the fights with mercenaries can be challenging and satisfying when you beat 'em, especially if a few of 'em team up on you at once, but I would say that I haven't been very invested in the storyline thus far and it does kind of feel like they made the game huge just for the sake of it being huge.

18 minutes ago, DavySuicide said:

You managed to get the plat within 55 hours? My God, it took me exactly 100 hours. I wasn't aware that I was so slow. Sick. My opinion on the thread (SPOILERS AHEAD, so don't read if you aren't finished with the game):

First 40 hours were amazing. I loved everything about the game: the world, the main quest, characters, graphics... but once I finished the main plotline, man, the game went down to shit. I was so annoyed having to clean all that stuff up. Some collectibles were really fun, but this stupid dice game, for example... what the fuck?

Worst part for me was Asgard and Jötunheim. I mean, I really get what they were trying to do here, that is, add some nuances about northern mythology.... and it might have worked, if they made the dream-ish sequences way shorter and straight to the point, but it dragged me so far away from the things I experienced before in the game that it all felt so terribly wrong. It was so boring and dull to finish these absurd sidequests that I really asked myself why did they do that. 

But on the other side, I really enjoyed riding through England and Norway. It's really hard for me to come to a conclusion: there is a lot of light, but even more darkness.

Ubisoft should really stop making all these games so big, yet so empty and repetitive. They need to learn that a beautiful world doesn't need to be packed with irrelevant stuff. This game could have been so much better in the end. 

Wrong game, pal. :P This is an Odyssey thread, not Valhalla.