Publisher En Masse Is Shutting Down (Tera NA/EU)

Lord_Bane999

En Masse Entertainment just announced today they have started the process to shut their doors forever. They were the publisher and main source of bringing Tera to the West for both North American and Europe Versions.

While they said they will follow up later and don't believe the Tera will shut down immediately in The West it's definitely up in the air.

Looking at previous companies that had online service games or MMOs shut down with them. If anyone wants the trophies done do them now. Definitely don't want to risk the chance of a sudden shutdown. 

https://kotaku.com/en-masse-entertainment-is-shutting-down-1844755092?utm_campaign=Kotaku&utm_content=1597702331&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_source=facebook

Edited by Lord_Bane999
  • Like 2

“For those of you that are interested in Tera or Closers, there will be news in the coming weeks,” the studio wrote. “Rest assured, support for those titles will continue.”

idk, it sounds like there are already wheels in motion to sell off Tera to another publisher to hold on to. 

4 minutes ago, Kittet3 said:

idk, it sounds like there are already wheels in motion to sell off Tera to another publisher to hold on to. 

It could be possible, they also could sell it to the devs and have them take over. But by the sounds of the player base in the West it's gotten low enough that another company may not risk buying it. Especially since it's a foreign IP and would have additional costs involved in that keeping it running in the West.

1 minute ago, Lord_Bane999 said:

It could be possible, they also could sell it to the devs and have them take over. But by the sounds of the player base in the West it's gotten low enough that another company may not risk buying it. Especially since it's a foreign IP and would have additional costs involved in that keeping it running in the West.

I read that statement I quoted above as "support will continue after we shut down", but I guess I see how one can read it as "support will continue until we shut down". 

I play Tera and it isn't dead on the NA server - I've seen much deader games. I'd be really surprised if they shut it down. There's still ton of people in hubs and in the new player areas and doing quests - I've had no problems finding people to group up with.

What additional costs do foreign IPs have? I assume that they already paid the costs to port it over to the west, so I think it's just maintenance and updates at this point. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kittet3 said:

I read that statement I quoted above as "support will continue after we shut down", but I guess I see how one can read it as "support will continue until we shut down". 

I play Tera and it isn't dead on the NA server - I've seen much deader games. I'd be really surprised if they shut it down. There's still ton of people in hubs and in the new player areas and doing quests - I've had no problems finding people to group up with.

What additional costs do foreign IPs have? I assume that they already paid the costs to port it over to the west, so I think it's just maintenance and updates at this point. 

Additional costs beyond the usual translations and possible regional differences/versions if any, plus royalties if that was also included in their agreements. MMOs differ from most games in that they typically feature cash shops and heavy monetization with some content being licensed out that incur extra costs, beyond the extra costs of keeping of regular secret maintenance and updates that usually appear more frequently then I  standard games, they also may be kept to a schedule by the original publisher/developers where they are required to release certain content by certain dates.

Remember too this publisher was basically the main one involved in funding for almost all the entirety of the western releases across many countries, languages PC and consoles, it will be a tall order to find a company willing to bet it all into an online only game with little new player growth, or not enough turn around in cash sales.

There can also be typically agreements in place with the original foreign developer/publishing company that's allows them to generate revenue from the western ports or contractual obligations that need to be fulfilled in order to keep using the license. Also in situations like this while they are a licensor for the Western Version if wrote into their original agreement involving sale of the western license to a new company may only happen if approval is given by the original developer/publisher or even in other cases the control of the license may fall back into the original devs/pubs hand completely in cases like this where the company is announcing it's shutting down.

This is probably why I believe they haven't made a clear announcement yet and said it may be a few weeks even on what is going to happen with the game. Their may be a contractual obligation they have to go through first. Extreme worst case scenario (which I doubt it will come to this) it would be a repeat of the Marvel Heroes Omega where the original owner revokes the license usage completely.

With all this said, with the number of devs that have closed and games gone down these last few months and some heading into dire money troubles with closures of their offices or delays happenings due to the pandemic. I think it's fair to recommend to people if they've put this off for trophy hunting hey do it now... The Plat can be obtained quite quicker then any other MMO and there is no dlc trophies or anything that would cost money plus it's had the same list this whole time.

Edited by Lord_Bane999

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

Looks like this was delisted off of the playstation store, going to any of the tera pages gives an unvailable error

Can confirm they pulled it from store it appears they did as they transfer things over to a new dev team?

https://support.enmasse.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052967794

All the info is in the above link it's quite weird they mention new dev not new publisher but never have heard of this new team