Is online doable still?

Megaman80

17 hours ago, Megaman80 said:

I got it after 2 weeks with som good gametime, and now i got the 322 2 weeks after that. I mainly used the rubber trick on R2 to make the car autodrive and getting like 200 last places :)

Congrats man! The Big Three are done! All you got left is some oval driving and the xp grind. The platinum is in reach! 

• Like 1

I'm thinking of starting the online grind myself again, since i've played around 15 online games after getting the main single-player trophies and then stopped without a single pole/win.

Is this really doable even if you suck a little in racing games? Are the servers going to be up a long time for the trophies to be reachable?

• Like 1

On 10/5/2020 at 1:33 AM, Viqueeeez said:

I'm thinking of starting the online grind myself again, since i've played around 15 online games after getting the main single-player trophies and then stopped without a single pole/win.

Is this really doable even if you suck a little in racing games? Are the servers going to be up a long time for the trophies to be reachable?

I'd say it is indeed doable with patience and determination. It can potentially be a long journey, but that in my opinion makes it all the more rewarding. Personally, the only other racing games I've played are Team Sonic Racing, CTR and Crash Nitro Kart. I also played a bit of Colin McRae Rally way back on the PS1 prior to around 2008 when I was a kid I think, so I probably wasn't that good at it. ? 
Where I'm getting with this is; these for the most part aren't comparable to the simulator-esque experiences of Gran Turismo, but even so, with my little experience of proper racing games, I managed to get the wins/poles done. If I can do it, I have faith that you can do it too! 

Don't let the experience of those first 15 races discourage you; I didn't even get my first win until like 20 races in, so you're not alone.   

As for the servers, I was also contemplating this on the thread while I was grinding out wins, and I'd say that they'll be up for at least 5-ish months after GT7 comes out, purely on the previous example of GT6's online shutting down around 5 months after Sport released.
Luckily, I don't think GT7 will be a launch title, so if it releases Q4 of next year, you'll probably have at the very least another year to get them done so don't worry. Look at it like pacing it at 10 wins a month, you'll easily get it done in three quarters of that time.

Heck, it took me 3 proper weeks to get it myself, and 2 for Megaman80, because we both had a race during a week that we were strong at. For my first week, I got 20 wins, then 14 on the second, a break on the third, but on that 4th week, with Tsukuba Circuit, I found it a lot easier to keep the lead and got 57 wins which took me from 34 to 91. Even if some weeks you don't get lots of wins, you just may come across one track that you're god-like at, and that's your chance to get as many wins as possible. I believe in you!

Edited by ShrubbaTub
  • Like 3

On 04/10/2020 at 3:32 PM, DramaLlama said:

I'd say it is indeed doable with patience and determination. It can potentially be a long journey, but that in my opinion makes it all the more rewarding. Personally, the only other racing games I've played are Team Sonic Racing, CTR and Crash Nitro Kart. I also played a bit of Colin McRae Rally way back on the PS1 prior to around 2008 when I was a kid I think, so I probably wasn't that good at it. 1f604.png 
Where I'm getting with this is; these for the most part aren't comparable to the simulator-esque experiences of Gran Turismo, but even so, with my little experience of proper racing games, I managed to get the wins/poles done. If I can do it, I have faith that you can do it too! 

Don't let the experience of those first 15 races discourage you; I didn't even get my first win until like 20 races in, so you're not alone. 

As for the servers, I was also contemplating this on the thread while I was grinding out wins, and I'd say that they'll be up for at least 5-ish months after GT7 comes out, purely on the previous example of GT6's online shutting down around 5 months after Sport released.
Luckily, I don't think GT7 will be a launch title, so if it releases Q4 of next year, you'll probably have at the very least another year to get them done so don't worry. Look at it like pacing it at 10 wins a month, you'll easily get it done in three quarters of that time.

Heck, it took me 3 proper weeks to get it myself, and 2 for Megaman80, because we both had a race during a week that we were strong at. For my first week, I got 20 wins, then 14 on the second, a break on the third, but on that 4th week, with Tsukuba Circuit, I found it a lot easier to keep the lead and got 57 wins which took me from 34 to 91. Even if some weeks you don't get lots of wins, you just may come across one track that you're god-like at, and that's your chance to get as many wins as possible. I believe in you!

Thanks for the motivation! I'll start and try to make progress, even if it's slow paced at the beginning. I'm sure the main problem will be the level 50 grind. Hoping to find a track that I am strong at too! 

I've finally done it, the 322 races are finally over! With that, the 3 online trophies are done. From here, I just need to tackle level 50 and some other single-player trophies. What a ride it was! Good luck to you Viqueeeez, I know you can do it!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Viqueeeez said:

Finally got my first win after 27 races! Now i'm up to the challenge, let's see if i can keep up the pace and finish this around 4 weeks too :)

Very nice!!! I like to say that if you can win once, you can win 91 times. Just gotta repeat that process. All I have left is level 50, currently at level 45 but that just means I'm only halfway there lol. ?
Might do GT6 on the PS3 after I plat this I reckon. 

As for some tips, be sure to look at the top times of your region to see what the best players do to get their good times. Look at their replays and try to copy what they do (braking points, if they apply the throttle a bit on turns or a little bit of braking).

Also, if you haven't already, it's good to learn manual on the track you're doing. Don't worry though! When it comes to Race A and B, tracks are generally short so you'll get the hang of where to change gears, especially since you'll be doing lots of qualifying, and also by looking at those replays. Change gears when they do and you'll be set. Being on manual alone can put you above the rest in some cases, especially in lower ranks.

One final tip, I find that having no traction control also puts you above the others.
If you're doing races on a grid start however, I found that leaving traction on 0 at the beginning makes your car start slightly slower (from what I found with the Greddy Fugu Z in my final week of racing for wins).
Therefore, what I found helpful is to temporarily put the traction control on 3 for the startup, and then quickly change it back to 0 for the rest of the race once you go up a couple gears. Good luck! 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2020 at 6:57 PM, willmill97 said:

I’m more interested in knowing if the platinum is still fun for the whole grind or if by the end of it it feels like your head is going to explode?

Currently doing the Level 50 grind at the moment. As for the 3 online trophies, it can definitely be a bit boring waiting around 10 minutes per online race, especially if you get a track like Monza where people kill you on the first turn so you've practically got no chance of winning. Despite this however, there is always that sense of fun; getting wins all the way to 91 felt exciting and never got old for me personally. Even the 322 races grind while long was cool since I finished my wins and just enjoyed cruising at the back of the pack.

As for the Level 50 trophy however... hoo boy, this is really something else. It's by no means hard like the wins/poles but it is certainly very tedious. First there's the X2014 Nations Cup Race 5 which gives 4300xp per race which lasts just under 8 minutes... Given that, you'd need to do the race hundreds of times to reach level 50. 
The other option is Premium Sports Lounge Race 1 which gives like double the experience in around 12 minutes, but that features an oval track.
So in the end, there's one where it's a fun track but you need to do more races, and then there's the oval one where while it'll take less time, it'll be more repetitive. To make things a bit more interesting, I love listening to music and whatnot to keep my mind occupied with something, definitely makes things more doable. 

Apart from that though, the game is very fun! The circuit experiences especially were really engaging, especially the missions. 

Edited by ShrubbaTub

16 hours ago, ShrubbaTub said:

Very nice!!! I like to say that if you can win once, you can win 91 times. Just gotta repeat that process. All I have left is level 50, currently at level 45 but that just means I'm only halfway there lol. 1f605.png
Might do GT6 on the PS3 after I plat this I reckon. 

As for some tips, be sure to look at the top times of your region to see what the best players do to get their good times. Look at their replays and try to copy what they do (braking points, if they apply the throttle a bit on turns or a little bit of braking).

Also, if you haven't already, it's good to learn manual on the track you're doing. Don't worry though! When it comes to Race A and B, tracks are generally short so you'll get the hang of where to change gears, especially since you'll be doing lots of qualifying, and also by looking at those replays. Change gears when they do and you'll be set. Being on manual alone can put you above the rest in some cases, especially in lower ranks.

One final tip, I find that having no traction control also puts you above the others.
If you're doing races on a grid start however, I found that leaving traction on 0 at the beginning makes your car start slightly slower (from what I found with the Greddy Fugu Z in my final week of racing for wins).
Therefore, what I found helpful is to temporarily put the traction control on 3 for the startup, and then quickly change it back to 0 for the rest of the race once you go up a couple gears. Good luck! 

Those are very nice tips, thanks for that! I'm not confortable enough to play manual, i guess my hands are not that fast in a control to keep changing shifts but will definitely try if i feel more confortable eventually.

I'm using the traction control tip and it's really working! I found out that the car gets slightly faster, and that's helping me getting better times. Currently on 43 races finished, with 6 wins and 5 poles. Getting a lot of second place finishes, but now i'm trying to tank my DR, so when i see i will not win, i would just let everyone pass and finish last place. Don't know if this will work out in the end but it's a try to get worse drivers in the lobby.

6 hours ago, Viqueeeez said:

Those are very nice tips, thanks for that! I'm not confortable enough to play manual, i guess my hands are not that fast in a control to keep changing shifts but will definitely try if i feel more confortable eventually.

I'm using the traction control tip and it's really working! I found out that the car gets slightly faster, and that's helping me getting better times. Currently on 43 races finished, with 6 wins and 5 poles. Getting a lot of second place finishes, but now i'm trying to tank my DR, so when i see i will not win, i would just let everyone pass and finish last place. Don't know if this will work out in the end but it's a try to get worse drivers in the lobby.

Just fina a track you like, for me i like nurburgring after gold on the full lap on single player curcuit, and drive it for 2-3 hours untill you get a great lap time, by then you should be able to get those poles and wins. This way i got 55 wins in 1 week mostly playing 4 hours weekdays and 12 saturday and sunday :).

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got this plat done, holy moly what a doozy! That level 50 grind... I'm never doing that again lol. ?
Hope you're doing well with the online wins, Viqueeeez! Keep at it, you can do it! Another good tip I can give is to look at what car a majority of people use; they tend to use the one used in the best qualifying replays. By doing this, you can usually be on the same pace as the others. Good luck! 
What Megaman80 said is also helpful, 2-3 hours is generally a good amount of time to get a good qualifying lap.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

El Rusticals YT video about farming xp works great still Id highly recommend checking it out. It still works I farmed 19k last night while sleeping. Doing the same Red Bull x2014 Lemans race 120 times now was getting old after awhile. You should get about 500-600k xp just getting the sport mode and other trophies in the game first along with rewards

Have you had a look at the fastest 100% achievers yet? The current record is 9 days and 13 hours and was achieved back in September. However there was a huge exploit in the early days of GT Sport that would've allowed for a much lower time. Getting to Level 50 is by far the most time-consuming part of this Platinum which this glitch cut down on drastically. It involved beating the fastest car class in the game (Group 1) using the slowest (N100) and reaping huge prize money and experience rewards in the process. Normally this is impossible because there is no way for a Mazda Miata to beat a Le Mans Prototype, no matter the setting. However this glitch allowed you to skip a lap on Nurburgring Nordschleife and win races easily. The sweetest thing about it was that each race would only take a minute and required hardly any racing skills at all. This video shows it off quite well, although the player fails to get the Clean Race Bonus which would've increased the Exp payout to 2100. Level 50 requires 2.4 million experience points and I think I was still about 2 million short when I was finished with the campaign, so that puts into perspective just how long even this completely broken method took. The prize money was very welcome though ? Buying all the cars in the game requires a ridiculous amount of money. I'm also including a video with one of the current best methods to earn money and experience points. Just comparing the headlines should give you an idea about how incomparably better the glitch method was.

Edited by Baka_Marimo
  • Like 1

Yeah I saw the old way too wish I had gotten in on the action at the time it wouldve made this grind much more bearable. Im about 90k xp short of level 48 now again ElRusticals YT video is how Ive been grinding while sleeping or working now and it works everytime. I let the game work for me now while doing real life stuff. This has shortened the grind tremendously as well as given me tremendous amounts of money. I now also have 153 wins in the Red Bull X2014 nations cup Lemans race which has added somewhere around 700k xp at this point.

Hey guys, i was thinking about starting this on 2021 , and is it doable still? How are you people doing on it? I saw my friend trying to win some races and it looks really messy and dirty tbh, a lot of idiots throwing you and trying to hit you on purpose out of the track. Also the penalties on this game are thrash as fk. I got platinum on GT5 and GT6, but i played pretty much 7 years ago, so i dont know if it is doable still, since the older the game gets the less player base it has and it tends to remain only the hardcore dudes and people get better overall. So anyone can tell me? Also is it needed to use manual transmission to win now? Thanks a lot..

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bdias10 said:

Hey guys, i was thinking about starting this on 2021 , and is it doable still? How are you people doing on it? I saw my friend trying to win some races and it looks really messy and dirty tbh, a lot of idiots throwing you and trying to hit you on purpose out of the track. Also the penalties on this game are thrash as fk. I got platinum on GT5 and GT6, but i played pretty much 7 years ago, so i dont know if it is doable still, since the older the game gets the less player base it has and it tends to remain only the hardcore dudes and people get better overall. So anyone can tell me? Also is it needed to use manual transmission to win now? Thanks a lot..

Firstly, fantastic work on platting GT6 and especially GT5! GT5 is a really skilled plat so I'll give you kudos for that. ?

Anyway, since Gran Turismo games are pretty popular and their online player base generally lasts until the servers go down, I think it's good when it comes to that. The big thing however, is that there's usually some people in each DR and SR that play religiously; so you're gonna come across the same people often if you play specific times a day, at least from my experience. However, we're all human, so they'll have tracks they don't perform as well in. You'll only encounter gods in high DR/SR tiers I'd imagine. ? 

When it comes to manual transmission, I found that it definitely gives an edge over other players, especially if you intend on being in a low DR/SR. If you're playing in the higher DR/SR brackets then I reckon you'd definitely need to. Manual gives you more control, which can greatly help. The idea of using manual may be a bit daunting, but people on YouTube usually give great guides on using manual for certain cars on each track, and they can certainly help for knowing when to change gears (looking at the top player replays of each daily can also help). 

The main concern however is that we have no idea how long the servers are actually going to be up. The game did just receive an update about a month ago or something so personally I think it'll still be around for a while. I definitely don't think they'll shut it down before GT7 comes out.
If GT7 comes out at the end of 2021, and we use GT6's servers shutting down about half a year after GT Sport as an example, then based on that; Sport's servers could (at minimum) be shut down midway through 2022. That's plenty of time in my opinion. :) 

Since you've platted GT5, I believe you can do this! The OP of this thread, Megaman80, also platted GT5, and got the Sport plat too. 
As for me, I don't even have much experience with proper racing simulators and even a guy like me managed to get the plat, so considering you have even more experience, I reckon you can do this! 

4 hours ago, Shrooba said:

Firstly, fantastic work on platting GT6 and especially GT5! GT5 is a really skilled plat so I'll give you kudos for that. 1f600.png

Anyway, since Gran Turismo games are pretty popular and their online player base generally lasts until the servers go down, I think it's good when it comes to that. The big thing however, is that there's usually some people in each DR and SR that play religiously; so you're gonna come across the same people often if you play specific times a day, at least from my experience. However, we're all human, so they'll have tracks they don't perform as well in. You'll only encounter gods in high DR/SR tiers I'd imagine. 1f605.png 

When it comes to manual transmission, I found that it definitely gives an edge over other players, especially if you intend on being in a low DR/SR. If you're playing in the higher DR/SR brackets then I reckon you'd definitely need to. Manual gives you more control, which can greatly help. The idea of using manual may be a bit daunting, but people on YouTube usually give great guides on using manual for certain cars on each track, and they can certainly help for knowing when to change gears (looking at the top player replays of each daily can also help). 

The main concern however is that we have no idea how long the servers are actually going to be up. The game did just receive an update about a month ago or something so personally I think it'll still be around for a while. I definitely don't think they'll shut it down before GT7 comes out.
If GT7 comes out at the end of 2021, and we use GT6's servers shutting down about half a year after GT Sport as an example, then based on that; Sport's servers could (at minimum) be shut down midway through 2022. That's plenty of time in my opinion. :) 

Since you've platted GT5, I believe you can do this! The OP of this thread, Megaman80, also platted GT5, and got the Sport plat too. 
As for me, I don't even have much experience with proper racing simulators and even a guy like me managed to get the plat, so considering you have even more experience, I reckon you can do this! 

Thanks for the reply man, well yeah, i was thinking on trying on a secondary account over a couple of days and see if i can win some races, if i can i would try on my main one. What is up with that penalty bs? can you explain me? it looks like you get punished for nothing lol, and about the manual transmission, yeah i am not a big fan of it, but maybe it would be better to learn

• 3 weeks later...
On 29.12.2020 at 4:03 PM, bdias10 said:

Thanks for the reply man, well yeah, i was thinking on trying on a secondary account over a couple of days and see if i can win some races, if i can i would try on my main one. What is up with that penalty bs? can you explain me? it looks like you get punished for nothing lol, and about the manual transmission, yeah i am not a big fan of it, but maybe it would be better to learn

I can guarantee you that getting platinum in G6 will not be an issue for you. I got platinum in this in 2020. at first winning online races seemed impossibe, but after getting to know a track racing for pole pocition before racing the race for about 1-3 hours, you will become one of the first starters and most likely be among the favorites.

The way i did it was that my first "in-game" gold trophy was lap time on Nurburgring and a week or so after doing that the online weekly race was Nurburgring (my favorite course), and i had like 60 wins out of the 91 you needed that first week of online. The trick there was to get a great training time and then just dont mess up for an entire lap, that way no one can play dirty due to the track only being 1 lap.

and the lap course requirements in GTS are nothing compared to GT5 nurburgring(which took me 12 hours non-stop driving after practicing a lot). grand tour, lambo and red bull..

To sum it up: There is a handfull of difficult races that most could handle and the onling is just about investing enough time in. Online i would recommend going har when you like the track.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2020 at 1:32 PM, Shrooba said:

I'd say it is indeed doable with patience and determination. It can potentially be a long journey, but that in my opinion makes it all the more rewarding. Personally, the only other racing games I've played are Team Sonic Racing, CTR and Crash Nitro Kart. I also played a bit of Colin McRae Rally way back on the PS1 prior to around 2008 when I was a kid I think, so I probably wasn't that good at it. 1f604.png 

Thanks for the kind words for all community about this game! I'm planning to hit to it too, since it came in my PS4 bundle but seeing the daunting difficulty and skill required makes shivers and doesn't even think about it. However seeing you beat Crash 1 and Sonic Mania, both in a single day per game, then I doubt that this game is available for every layman. You certianly require skill though. So far from saying this can be doable, it can be... but only for those who have the ability too. 

Don't want to discourage, as I want to try this too, but honestly your profile says to me what is required to even think being able to dive into this insane game. By the way, congratulations on earning this platinum!

• Like 1

On 1/17/2021 at 3:43 AM, Xenoblast91 said:

Thanks for the kind words for all community about this game! I'm planning to hit to it too, since it came in my PS4 bundle but seeing the daunting difficulty and skill required makes shivers and doesn't even think about it. However seeing you beat Crash 1 and Sonic Mania, both in a single day per game, then I doubt that this game is available for every layman. You certianly require skill though. So far from saying this can be doable, it can be... but only for those who have the ability too. 

Don't want to discourage, as I want to try this too, but honestly your profile says to me what is required to even think being able to dive into this insane game. By the way, congratulations on earning this platinum!

Thank you for the nice regards as well! Don’t worry about my Mania and Crash 1 completion times though, those games are very different from the racing genre. I actually had an Xbox account that I mained from around 2011-2019 and those 2 games were indeed tough when I first played them on that! However, most of my friends had a PS4, so I made the shift so I could play with them, and I started off with some games I had already finished on Xbox, those 2 game times are just from experience (also Unleashed and Generations). My first times playing them, they were definitely hard and took me much longer!  There are easily many people who are far, far better than me. ?

I’ll be honest, GT Sport can be a hard plat; when I first played the game, I accepted the possibility that my account might not be at 100% anymore. However, if you really give it your all and have determination, it is doable, but yes, it can be quite hard. If you can get those 91 wins though, then the rest is all just a grind you can do at whatever pace you like. There are some tips on this forum that may help you out. Best of luck if you give this a go! ?

Edit: The servers should stay up for a while too (definitely at least until GT7), they usually take their time with GT games so Sport’s servers should still stick around for enough time.
Edit 2: Another detail I think is worth mentioning is that GT7 aims to be a return to form of GT, so the devs are definitely gonna make sure it's all polished before release and will definitely take their time which is good, in turn meaning that Sport's servers will definitely be up for longer.

Edited by Shrooba

I think they would give 6 months notice before shutting the servers, and it would be after GT7 launches, and they still have no launch date for that. So yes there is time to do this even starting now.

It took me 5 months to get 91 wins so even with a 6 month notice it should be doable. I am not very fast, I just made sure to get as many wins as possible during weeks where I was good at the car/track combination. There were two weeks where I got 20+ wins each.

Also I hated doing it but during weeks where you can qualify in the top 200 of your region, it helps to tank your DR repeatedly by quitting races from the opening lobby screen. Do that a few times and you will be racing only 1 or 2 top 200 drivers and have a better shot at a win. The down side is you are more likely to get into wrecks. It will not take very many top 3 finishes to repair your DR.

There were many weeks where I got zero or 1 win because it was not a good track or car for me. Lots of good tips in this thread, but the big one is get a good qualifying time, preferably top 100 or 200 for your region.

My final but most important advice is to pretend you are Jeff Bridges in The Big Lebowski and just chill out. Don’t get all angry and dramatic about getting knocked around, don’t go calling other drivers dirty, just let it go and focus on next race. Most of the time the other guy just made a mistake, it was not intentional. And often the one who hit you was actually first hit by someone else. The community would be much improved if everyone would just chill out.

• Like 3