czDante92

Will you play the game in permdeath?  

733 members have voted

1. 1. Will you?

• I did/will do it for the trophy only
    • I did/will do it for the trophy and challenge as well
    • I won't

5 hours ago, The_Mighty_Ducks said:

Lol im a noob so I'm not even going to attempt it.. is there a way to save the game file on a USB and if you die, you can just delete the save file and upload the USB save file? Or was that only a PS3 option?

I haven't tried it myself yet but from what I read there are chapter, act and whole game permadeath modes. The latter being the one you want to avoid if you're not a fan of the mode/only want the trophy. The chapter permadeath doesn't sound too bad though, especially since there is no mention of difficulty so you should be able to run through on an easier setting. You could give it a go, you might surprise yourself! And you only have to restart the chapter if you fail and not the whole game.

8 hours ago, The_Mighty_Ducks said:

Lol im a noob so I'm not even going to attempt it.. is there a way to save the game file on a USB and if you die, you can just delete the save file and upload the USB save file? Or was that only a PS3 option?

From what I heard, the game can detect it and won't allow you to load transferred save when you die, but if you want to do it for the trophy only, chapter permadeath on Very Easy is... well, very easy, but annoying if you die by some stupid mistake in any instadeath scenario.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, czDante92 said:

I don't like permadeath in general, but I understand the appeal of it. Do the perfect run. Know every jump. every trap, location of every enemy. I'm sure there are some games that are made for that kind of challenge, but TLoU 2 is not one of them.
I did Very Easy+ collectible playthrough combined with Chapter permadeath. As a seasoned Last of Us player, I had no problem with encounters, I found even normal difficulty first playthrough easy. But I died. I was once grabbed by Rat King, which was my mistake and I fell few times from ledges and even more times from beams, which was arguably the game's fault partly due to... imperfect platforming combined with set camera angles. Now on Very Easy (with some accessibility cheats on) it wasn't that bad, you can almost run through the most of the game, but still, the walking parts, the loadings, the flashbacks and stuff like that sucked big time. I can't even imagine setting it to act or whole game permadeath, especially on a difficulty where you have to properly scavenge (i. e. waste time).

I can see how this thread is filled with "git gud" and "platforming is fine, you suck" posts and you might be right, but the problem is that this game is very cinematic and for each hour of action there is an hour of exploring, cutscenes and those "follow npc while he talks about stuff" moments. Imagine you'll die in Santa Barbara and have to do all those parts like museum, several Sea World visits etc. all over again.
But that's just me, what are your thoughts on permadeath in TLoU2?

git gud platforming is fine...
;) joke

i dont think permadeath is a good thing for a game like tlou2. or maybe its the only game that deserve this mode... its a survival game right

Edited by SairenOne

1 hour ago, TurtlePM said:

This might be an unpopular opinion, specially because this is a trophy hunters website, but people really like to swallow games until they get the platinum/100%. My point is: some trophies are here for "one day, when you come back to the game, here's an extra challenge". But a lot of people force themselves to do that almost in a row, finishing the game and instantly start a new game and make another huge run to get another trophy. I saw a lot of people complaining about these trophies because it requires ANOTHER playthrough, not because it's difficult.

I don't know who to explain it, but take "Detroit: Become Human" as example. People completed the game their way, then they were forced to change their choices to make the Platinum - another 2 playthroughs. Obviously the game easily becomes tedious to play following a guide for decisions, but it wouldn't be that tedious if people let the game breathe a little. And this is when, in most cases, people start to point out the cons of the game when there were none in the first playthrough. 

I spent 40 or so hours to complete TLOU2. Plus half playthrough to get all upgrades (which I haven't done yet). Suddenly we need to do another 1 or 2 playthroughs to get 100%, one month after the game release. I might do the permadeath mode for the trophy, but not now. This game needs a huge break before I jump again to another 30-40 hours of gameplay and challenge. 

This!

I finished Part2, and I will go for the Platinum, but I won't do it right away. I think I will wait for the PS5 and do my second playthrough there with increased graphics and ray-tracing (hopefully)...

• Like 3

The game isn’t made for a legit permadeath mode, that’s why you can do it with chapters only and still get the trophy. The whole game/act is a choice the player makes. And I don’t really see a problem with there being choice for those that want the thrills. A lot of people actually enjoy replaying this game so giving them an option to CHOOSE to do it whole game is a good move in my book.

Basically if you die in SB and have to redo the birthday...that’s on you for picking whole game. 

4 hours ago, RedDevil757 said:

I'll probably do grounded and permadeath together. 

All I gotta say is : good luck with that my friend!

Edited by Lovenewton

On 8/19/2020 at 5:02 AM, TurtlePM said:

This might be an unpopular opinion, specially because this is a trophy hunters website, but people really like to swallow games until they get the platinum/100%. My point is: some trophies are here for "one day, when you come back to the game, here's an extra challenge". But a lot of people force themselves to do that almost in a row, finishing the game and instantly start a new game and make another huge run to get another trophy. I saw a lot of people complaining about these trophies because it requires ANOTHER playthrough, not because it's difficult.

I'm willing to bet this is more common for people who buy physical copies. If you own it digitally and can't re-sell it, there's less incentive to do all your playthroughs in a row. But if you want to re-sell the disc on Craigslist or something, you have to try and "beat" the game before all the demand for the game goes away, and with a story-driven spoiler-heavy game like this, that may not take long. It's the same thing as going to see a movie on the opening weekend.

I unlocked both of the new trophies in one Grounded+ run, with accessibility options enabled. Not much of a challenge, but I had already finished the game three times prior (including a playthrough on Survivor), so I just wanted the 100% done. It's a little too lengthy for my tastes.

I think the game would be a bit more replayable if there were an option to auto-skip cutscenes.

• Like 1

It's not even perma-death! There is no real point in giving a trophy for perma-death when you're really just going chapter by chapter. There no point in the mode at all if you can basically NOT DO it and still claim the trophy. 

Not that I care. The easier to get a trophy like that, the better. It's just that it's set up to basically waste your time if you die. Much like all the "scavenging" you have to do throughout the entire game. But to be fair, pretty much every open world/survival get forces that crap.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2020 at 8:30 PM, The_Mighty_Ducks said:

According to a poster on playstationtrophies.org you can, but you have to do it a specific way.  First, get to a spot where the game will let you quit without losing progress.  The game will tell you if it counts as a death or not when you go to quit.  Then back up your save.  Now, when you die make sure to chose load last chapter and load it, or whatever the option is.  Get to a safe spot. Now you can back out and usb download your save.  It should load you back up at the safe area you last were at.

Edited by Snake2410
  • Like 1

Yeah when I do permadeath I think I'll just do it on very light+ so I don;t have to worry about all that. I might die here and there due to a fluke, but I'll probably lose more time in performing all those workarounds than I will to actual deaths (especially with how slow the game loads)

I never did a cleanup after my first playthrough, didn't enjoy the game as such on my first run but that was due to the story.

After a couple months away from it I'm now doing a second run to do the cleanup & I'm combining it with permadeath. I'm skipping all the cutscenes & finding it more enjoyable this way.

I'm just about to start Abby's section though so will be running through it ASAP as I really don't like her character.

Will probably do Grounded at a later date as I really enjoyed the challenge from it in the first game.

The issue I think is this doesn't really bring anything new to the table. Horizon Zero Dawn and Marvel's Spider-Man basically slapped some New Game Plus trophies where you have to play through the story again. I basically went around as Aloy in her Shield Weaver outfit that basically acted as a second health bar. Got the story done in eight hours. In Spider-Man I literally had to sit around and wait for the main story to pick up again because the game had me 'waiting' around while it encouraged me to do some side stuff, everything that I already did on my first playthrough. Ultimate Difficulty was a joke basically, nothing all that challenging at all.

Dark Souls is one of the very few games I've played that does New Game Plus right. The game encourages you to do multiple playthroughs and you have to do that anyway for the platinum trophy. Enemies got a big increase in power but you also had access to stuff you couldn't get on your first run.

In Horizon Zero Dawn and Marvel's Spider-Man, nope. They just slapped together New Game Plus because it's the trendy thing to do nowadays in AAA games, like Photo Mode. Completely lazy.

I don't know who to explain it, but take "Detroit: Become Human" as example. People completed the game their way, then they were forced to change their choices to make the Platinum - another 2 playthroughs. Obviously the game easily becomes tedious to play following a guide for decisions, but it wouldn't be that tedious if people let the game breathe a little. And this is when, in most cases, people start to point out the cons of the game when there were none in the first playthrough. 

I spent 40 or so hours to complete TLOU2. Plus half playthrough to get all upgrades (which I haven't done yet). Suddenly we need to do another 1 or 2 playthroughs to get 100%, one month after the game release. I might do the permadeath mode for the trophy, but not now. This game needs a huge break before I jump again to another 30-40 hours of gameplay and challenge.

Heavy Rain was the same thing. You had to do the Perfect Crime walkthrough, which was killing all the protagonists in the game while the Origami Killer got away scot free. Then you basically had to do multiple choices at the end to see Ethan hang himself or get lost in trying to find Shaun.

David Cage games were meant to be interactive movies and he said this himself on numerous occasions. But the platinum trophies are tedious and a little mind numbing. That's why I don't want to start Beyond Two Souls because I have to do a Duo playthrough which is using two different controllers, even though the game itself is pretty much single player. Not the best design choice.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

That's why I don't want to start Beyond Two Souls because I have to do a Duo playthrough which is using two different controllers, even though the game itself is pretty much single player. Not the best design choice.

This was annoying but it's not hard. Most of the time you're controlling the main character with the main controller but sometimes you have to control another character with a different controller.

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

The issue I think is this doesn't really bring anything new to the table. Horizon Zero Dawn and Marvel's Spider-Man basically slapped some New Game Plus trophies where you have to play through the story again. I basically went around as Aloy in her Shield Weaver outfit that basically acted as a second health bar. Got the story done in eight hours. In Spider-Man I literally had to sit around and wait for the main story to pick up again because the game had me 'waiting' around while it encouraged me to do some side stuff, everything that I already did on my first playthrough. Ultimate Difficulty was a joke basically, nothing all that challenging at all.

Dark Souls is one of the very few games I've played that does New Game Plus right. The game encourages you to do multiple playthroughs and you have to do that anyway for the platinum trophy. Enemies got a big increase in power but you also had access to stuff you couldn't get on your first run.

In Horizon Zero Dawn and Marvel's Spider-Man, nope. They just slapped together New Game Plus because it's the trendy thing to do nowadays in AAA games, like Photo Mode. Completely lazy.

Heavy Rain was the same thing. You had to do the Perfect Crime walkthrough, which was killing all the protagonists in the game while the Origami Killer got away scot free. Then you basically had to do multiple choices at the end to see Ethan hang himself or get lost in trying to find Shaun.

David Cage games were meant to be interactive movies and he said this himself on numerous occasions. But the platinum trophies are tedious and a little mind numbing. That's why I don't want to start Beyond Two Souls because I have to do a Duo playthrough which is using two different controllers, even though the game itself is pretty much single player. Not the best design choice.

I understand what you mean about the new game plus and new difficulties. I haven't played Dark Souls (and I don't plan to), but I remember Shovel Knight's NG+ adapting its difficulty based on all your items you collected until the final boss. I wasn't expecting that, I thought it would be a smooth run like these last exclusive titles. It turns out to be a "Challenge mode" like Ratchet games used to call it :)

You just game the perfect example: Heavy Rain.

When I first played it, I wanted to get the platinum trophy as fast as possible, I started this new account and I wanted a good amount of Platinums. After finishing the game (which the twist honestly caught me by surprise), I wanted to do the Perfect Crime trophy. I was curious about that run, so I guess I never felt tedious playing it for a second time.

But after that... All those endings? Repeating the same sequences all over again and again to get a trophy here and there? I started to complain about the game all the time "aff this sequence again / let's play with that bitch again / now I'm obliged to play dumb in this puzzle when I already know the answer"... I thought to myself "WTF am I doing?". 

After YEARS, I still remember everything about that game and I might need YEARS to forget most of the it. And this is not good. From that day on, I never forced myself playing a game twice in a row when it comes to trophies. If I really loved the game and I want to go back to it for fun, sure. Otherwise, nope, let it be.

The only game I broke this "rule" was Stories: The Path of Destinies. Although this game actually obliges you to play the same bullshit over and over again in order to unlock the true ending - in reality, you're not finishing the game each run, you're just getting a different path/possibility for the end of a day. So I think this game can't be compared to those we've mentioned. 

I agree with you OP.  And for more that i love it this game, i'm struggle to get mood and comeback for the other trophies.

The platinum itself was tied with stupid and boring collectibles, and now the permadeath is just the cherry in this lame trophy list. I would prefer the game have gotten a trophy for beat once in NG+, and a difficulty with hit kill. Well.. It least we still don't have to deal with the awful multiplayer for get 100%, like the first one.

You can save back up for this as well.  There is just a specific way you have to do it.

• Backup your save when you're in a safe spot (you'll know because when you pause the game and try to quit it'll tell you if it'll count as a death).
  • Once you die, go ahead and select 'Restart Chapter'.
  • Once the chapter has restarted (and you're in a safe spot), quit the game.
  • Restore your backup save.
  • Load the game back up and continue story.

Cudos to TMC2k1 on playstationtrophies.org for this.