The Controversial Assassin’s Creed 3

55 minutes ago, Silver-I-Chariot said:

Playing it right now, almost finished the storyline. It's great so far and there isn't much to hate but the PS4 port is piss poor. The game keeps crashing, especially if you play offline. NPCs keep getting stuck and behave weirdly. Character models look ugly.

Connor isn't a particularly good protagonist either. He is a simple-minded, naive oaf who doesn't unterstand the nature of the conflict and the motives of anyone involved. He is easy to manipulate and feels more like a goon than a leader. Unlike Ezio or Altair, who had great wisdom, cunning and leadership qualities. 

Could not have said it better!

Moreover, for Ezio it was definitely clear what he can climb and what not. Connor cannot even climb the most simple obstacles, however some giant rocks in the size of a mountain are okay... lol

In addition Connor is not a charismatic character, always the same depressive look, no smile, nothing.. 

• Like 2

I enjoyed it too, I'll play soon again to get the plat BUT...

Ezio is my fav, I cannot change that, idk maybe is bc I spent more time with him or cause I love Italy in the 14-15century, the BSO... And as @Jasko_SOA said, Connor is not a charismatic character, is difficult to have a real connection with him.

I don't know, I think I enjoy every AC because I kinda "grew up" with them (Altair - PSP), and then PS3/4 so, no hate for any game from the series

• Like 2

Connor to me is one of the worst protagonists of the series.

Ive been trying to play through them all in sequence this year and near future (i discussed somewhat in another topic but thats besides the point)

So far to me:

Altair: Decent

Ezio: Good

Connor: Bad

Aveline: Decent

Edward: Good

Adewale: Bad

Shay: Controversial but Good

Arno: Playing Unity now and so far decent enough. Has potential to go either way still.

Ive heard good things about subsequent releases especially Syndicate but im biased because im from London! 

I dont know if its the fact i spent more time playing the games with my "good" characters in that i like them more, or that they were the better games so i invested more in. 

• Like 2

AC3 was the game that stopped me from playing the series. I was super hyped for it and got it on release. Found it so mind-numbingly boring and took as it a sign of what was to come for the rest of the series, so I bowed out. Haven't played a single AC game since, and I regret absolutely nothing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Silver-I-Chariot said:

The game keeps crashing, especially if you play offline

The remastered game on PS4 is offline only, there is no online MP its all single player,  the only thing I hate about some of the early series is the optional but not really optional constraints and being penalised for not doing them, ie no 100% sync which makes it a chore to Platinum, the Original Gamer trophy is one that's giving me the most problems aside from 100% sync in the DLC too. 

The parkour elements that are the staples of the game have been massively improved since Syndicate

Spoiler

although there is some assistance with that in the game

.  But in Origins and Odyssey the climbing is smooth, compared with clunky movements since Ezio or even Altair, probably due to better coding and engine capabilities.  

2 hours ago, Silver-I-Chariot said:

It's great so far and there isn't much to hate but the PS4 port is piss poor. The game keeps crashing, especially if you play offline. NPCs keep getting stuck and behave weirdly. Character models look ugly.

It sounds like they ported ported the original PS3 release too perfectly.

• Like 2

Problem with AC3 is that Ubisoft tried to reinvent themselves but they kinda dropped the ball in certain places. 

First of all, Connor really is as interesting as a slice of white bread compared to Haytham, whom you play as for the first hours of the game and is one of the best characters out there. I understand that Connor is a native American caught into a conflict bigger than he can handle, but still that doesn't excuse the fact that he is the least interesting character in the game. 

Then you have the colonies themselves... Compared to Jerusalem, Renaissance Italy or Constantinopole, thhe colonies.... Aren't as intriguing. Yeah the Frontier is fun but eh you can't top using the hookblade to climb the Galata tower or parachute yourself from the top of Castel San Angelo. 

HOWEVER I do not feel that this game deserves all the hate. First of all AC3 was the pioneer of actually good naval battles(which were perfected in AC4 and later Rogue), the whole hunting and crafting part was quite interesting and the Homestead was feeling more like a community. Also you had lots of tools at your disposal and the bow was actually useful. 

And yeah I agree with the OP saying that Connor was a badass in one aspect : the combat. Excluding the characters in Odyssey (won't say why, due to spoilers), Connor was kinda the strongest most vicious assassin out there combat wise. Guy was built like a tank. Also the tomahawk combat was brutal as hell. Not sure if there is another assassin who could take down Connor in 1v1 confrontation. 

Personally enjoyed AC3. Wasn't as good as the others but it wasn't a complete failure like ac liberation. It was pretty average. DLC wasn't that bad either. 

Oh, the only massive negative point was the present timeline story. They absolutely ruined it there. And the port.. Meh typical ubisoft rushed job. Other than that AC3 is pretty decent overall. 

Edited by Copanele
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, alexandra-jane09 said:

The remastered game on PS4 is offline only

I know that but I had an internet outage for 3 days. During that time I could barely progress because the game kept crashing. At one point I could not progress at all because it always crashed at the start of one mission. As soon as I had internet back it stopped crashing and I didn't even update or reinstall the game. So idk maybe it's some DRM protection but it was barely working when I played it without an internet connection. 

Nothing against the story or the atmosphere. The ship fights were great and even online was fun. But in general the gameplay is one of the worst I've experienced. It becomes even more clear when going for the platinum where evry move counts but the game does not know if you want to climb, hide or jump. Fighting is awful and stealth is a joke.

I played the game back on PS3 and what I hated wasn't the characters or the story it was all the bugs and glitches. I had a sad/funny one in a mission with Paul Revere where whenever I tried to get on the horse I couldn't and the horse and Revere both flew up into the air and came crashing down and dying, failing the mission. There were so many glitches I just stopped playing the game for a least a year before I went back and finished it. 

Currently playing the remaster, hitting an occasional invisible wall here and there, but so far it seems better than the original. 

I’ll definitely find out more eventually.  I haven’t played the Assassin Creed games except for 1 before this year so the heroes are new to me.  Right now taking a break after Liberation for Last of Us 1 (never beat and not planning on Platting lol) and then I’ll be sliding into Last of Us 2 or Assassins Creed 4.

On 8/20/2020 at 4:32 AM, Gommes_ said:

Nothing against the story or the atmosphere. The ship fights were great and even online was fun. But in general the gameplay is one of the worst I've experienced. It becomes even more clear when going for the platinum where evry move counts but the game does not know if you want to climb, hide or jump. Fighting is awful and stealth is a joke.

It doesn't look like you have too high of an opinion because of what Assassin's Creed 3 did to you. As far as the platinum goes it is definitely the worst. Finding all the Underground Entrances in Boston and New York was a chore. One of the challenges basically had me "lawnmowering" unexplored territory in the Frontier because Ubisoft was too lazy to add more vantage points in the game.

The mission in Sequence 7 where you have to air assassinate a Grenadier as one of the optional objectives took me three - four hours to finally get done. Then there's the Homestead, recording each NPC's activity two - three times is just boring. Crafting Interface was poorly designed. Then there was that ship mission where you had to damage an enemy ship in a very specific manner.

If you give the series another chance, I recommend you pick up and play Assassins Creed 2 and maybe try out Syndicate and Origins. They play far better than Assassin's Creed 3, and all three games aren't that annoying.

Edited by Spaz

playing AC3 remastered atm and it does not feel like a ps4 remaster. Conner and his mother sound like robots, and the Native American voice actors don't sound good either. Conner controls like a goddamn forklift with a blind driver. The ship combat and the convoy UI/System was done 10x better in AC4: Black Flag. The graphics still look like last gen graphics. Combat was questionable, idk if this is on me or something else but I cannot seem to hit the counter and repost like in AC4 and it crashed during a chain assassination. Oh and the first 5 sequences are basically a tutorial for the game, which is nearly half the sequences

Honestly, the game performs poorly and seems like a very shit excuse for a remaster. 

Edited by wackt1
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah for me they didn’t improve the hideous controls, and the story still seemed so disjointed. The game is bugged, especially during the DLC. I got tired quickly of whole armies chasing you around town at a slight glance. 

I have nothing against Connor but I think maybe 

Haytham would have been a better protagonist.  Also I felt the game lost its way by killing of Desmond with the backstory becoming non existent from ACIV onwards..they may as well have just scrapped the whole animus thing. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, ziggypop_79 said:

Yeah for me they didn’t improve the hideous controls, and the story still seemed so disjointed. The game is bugged, especially during the DLC. I got tired quickly of whole armies chasing you around town at a slight glance. 

I have nothing against Connor but I think maybe 

Haytham would have been a better protagonist.  Also I felt the game lost its way by killing of Desmond with the backstory becoming non existent from ACIV onwards..they may as well have just scrapped the whole animus thing. 

Lmao, you had the problem with a fuck ton of enemies chasing you too (and the infinite reinforcements)? Also, I never did like Desmond in the first place, but the modern timeline didn't matter to me anyway

• Like 1

Honestly haytham kenway really made the game for me(as well as assains creed rogue) and honestly i wished he was the protagonist rather then connor as the whole fiasco that took place between ac4 and rogue that lead to edwards death and haytham becoming a templar was very interesting(and having a direct bloodline that went assasin, templar, then assasin really makes me wonder how much of the missing gaps of desmonds bloodlines contained templar as well) as was the whole father son dynamic in the later chapters of ac3.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am doing this game now and I like the story so far (Sequence 9). Connor is maybe not the best protagonist. But the story is very good for now.

The gameplay is another issue. I still do not understand why this series is so claimed. Being a Survival and Action/Adventure gamer, the mechanics are awful. The movements and controls anre clanky.

Just my opinion.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/9/2020 at 5:14 AM, ziggypop_79 said:

The controls are much better by the time you get to Black Flag. The prior Ezio games were generally much better too. AC III just shit the bed in many ways, it’s like they released a beta or demo version by accident. 

Right. But the game itself. I am enjoying more than the first and Ezio. The story is better. I am doing the miscellaneous now. Here, is too long. Too many side activities. 

• 2 years later...
When I first played this game for the first time back in 2012, I held onto the opinion for over a decade that it was the worst game I had ever played. Coming back to it in 2023, this was a genuinely pleasant surprise, and after playing some other Assassin's Creeds that I now hold as being inferior to this, a return to classic Creed was like a breath of fresh air.

First off, when making this game Ubisoft had the impossible task of following up Ezio, a character that I argue they still have not have topped, not just in Assassin's Creed but in any of their franchises. So who do they give this impossible task to? Connor. Now, as much as I've come to appreciate Connor in this replay; at the time of release there was no greater complaint against this game than its protagonist. Noah Watts' delivery as Connor can be... one note, even monotonous, and coming off the effortless cool and charm of Roger Craig Smith as Ezio, it's severely off putting. He can be arrogant and petulant, particularly early on towards Achilles. However, this replay (as well as more maturity on my end) allowed me to view Connor in a far more positive light.

Understanding now that Connor's Native American background is the reason for his calm and stoic dialogue gives his fiery combat all the weight in the world. He's strong, maybe the physically strongest Assassin in the franchise and that's good, because he needs to be when he's taking on literal armies. Classic Creed combat is a joy to return to, the animations are outstanding and Connor's muscular frame allows him to be a literal walking armory. Swords, blunt weapons, heavy weapons, tomahawks, daggers, hidden blades, Connor's fists, pistols & bow and arrows. Weapon variety is amazing and very much appreciated, however the major caveat is the weapon wheel you use can be clunky and slow which is a problem for the duration of the game. This weapon wheel UI is so bad that it can honestly discourage changing over and instead just sticking with your four favourites on the D Pad. Is the combat too easy? Without question, but if it's between this or Unity's piss poor combat, give me this any day of the week.

Tying into Connor being a walking armory is another reason why I've come to appreciate him: He's a soldier, a one man army relentlessly fighting a war against overwhelming odds. Achilles and the Colonial Assassins were a joke in Rogue, so stupid to the point that it honestly comes across as bad writing just to give Shay motivation to leave and then fight them. Shay and Haytham absolutely decimate the Colonial Assassins without much effort, so Achilles turning Haytham's son into the Colonial Assassin's resurrection and greatest success is absolutely delicious (granted, this bit of development only works AFTER playing Rogue.) Connor's warpath of destruction against the Templars during the American Revolution is so effective that it even reaches all the way to the French Assassins; the man gives no quarter and his tenacity towards killing Templars (Give me Lee!) is honestly pretty refreshing. And at the end of his war, how is he rewarded? With nothing, absolutely nothing. His mother is still dead, his father and best friend murdered by his own hand, he buries his mentor, his tribe are forced to abandon their home. It's sombre and Connor removing the tomahawk is a much more hollow victory than Ezio laying Altair to rest in Revelations.

The story itself is pretty solid too, I mean the series' average has been okay to pretty decent for my tastes. The American Revolution is a fun background for Connor to wage his own war against the Templars like I said. However, what really is terrible and has not improved much in the decade since I played it, is that incessant five Sequence tutorial. I think this might be the only Assassin's Creed game to disincentivize free roam until Connor gets his robes. Haytham is okay, pretty dry and witty with an absolute brutal streak, I honestly think he's better served as an NPC counter to Connor later in the game rather than being a playable character. But then going from him back to Connor as a kid, to a tribe we have no investment in aside from Connor's mother, absolutely kills the pace. I get that the game has a lot of new systems that Ubisoft wants to introduce, but this excessive, linear handholding is intrusive and sloppily done.

As for the modern day, I'm still pissed at Ubisoft not wanting to pay Kristen Bell royalties and killing off Lucy back in Brotherhood. Desmond, Shaun and Rebecca are terrific as usual and actually getting to undertake Assassin missions with Desmond is fantastic. The Isu storyline has always been pretty hit or miss and while the whole "end of the world" shtick does little for me, listening to Juno explain everything her civilization did to try and stop it was interesting and well written. I think Desmond's ending was a huge disappointment however, and the modern day has been pretty much in limbo ever since. I thought Syndicate was a step in the right direction, physically bringing back Shaun, Rebecca and introducing Galina, who's a pretty cool character for the two minutes of screentime she has. Then they abandoned all that for Layla, but I digress.

Going back to gameplay, if combat is as fun as ever, parkour's change from Revelations is a bit of a mixed bag. Going to one button free running with a parkour targeting system like Assassin's Creed has could have been a death sentence, but in this game, it's actually not the worst thing in the world. For me, inconsistency was far more annoying than mechanics. To its credit, the targeting system does a good job most of the time; Connor climbing, jumping on or sticking to something you didn't want him to will always be frustrating but hey, welcome to Assassin's Creed. I think the parkour is at its worst in the Frontier, when you're gliding through the trees it can be a joy but trying to find rock faces you can climb or getting Connor to jump to a branch you know he's able to, is a bit too inconsistent for my liking.

Then there's the introduction of naval combat to Assassin's Creed. This might have been the most shocking part of this entire playthrough. From absolutely detesting it when I first played to adoring it now. After a good one or two hundred bears donated their pelts to help line my pockets and fully upgrade the Aquila, the Ghost of the North Seas is so much fun to control. Grape shots obliterate fleets of smaller ships while heat shots make a mess of larger ones, it's far simpler than a system like Rogue's but for my preferences, I honestly think it benefits from this. It can be a nice change of pace to break up the main gameplay loop and I cannot fail to mention the absolutely stunning Mayan Temple level during the Captain Kidd missions. 

Trophies:
Separating a game from its trophy list can be difficult after all is said and done. I liked Rogue and Unity's campaigns for the most part, but those collectathons and other trophy requirements pretty firmly ruined both games for me, landing them both as my least favourites in the franchise. Assassin's Creed 3, surprisingly to me, isn't as bad.

Encyclopedia of the Common Man is tedious but wasn't as laborious as I was expecting. Maybe I got lucky but aside from the Tailor, everyone was pretty consistent in varying their activities.

Original Gamer is as bullshit as everyone says, I actually found Fanorama easier than Morris somehow. Lot of trial, error, and irritation at the computer but not overly horrific.

Then there's the optional objectives. Most are okay, only requiring a few restart checkpoints. Worst ones were easily "blow up ships by shooting their powder stores" in the two missions that are required.

A few other things: I can see what Ubisoft were trying to do with the fast travel gimmick, but it kind of defeats the purpose when you have to waste time traversing a dank and unlit underground section for two cities. The club challenges/side missions are probably the biggest time-sink to getting 100%, again more grind than difficult. Other collectibles are absolutely tame compared to the bloat that would be subsequently featured in future games.

Character models can be ugly at times, lip syncing and subtitles are outright broken in certain cutscenes, and dialogue during gameplay can have these weird two second delays between characters speaking that make it sound awkward. Those are the only technical issues I can report having.

Overall, this game was a dark horse that I was not expecting to enjoy this much on my return. I honestly feel bad for harbouring such negative feelings towards it for so long, and have never been more glad to be proven wrong. I'm very much looking forward to playing The Tyranny Of King Washington for the first time and finishing the game off on a high note.

Edited by megamac1296
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, megamac1296 said:
Separating a game from its trophy list can be difficult after all is said and done. I liked Rogue and Unity's campaigns for the most part, but those collectathons and other trophy requirements pretty firmly ruined both games for me, landing them both as my least favourites in the franchise. Assassin's Creed 3, surprisingly to me, isn't as bad.

Playing Rogue Remastered right now (never played it on PS3) and you're right about the collectibles. It's really draining and takes the fun out of what was an otherwise "ok" game. It's made worse by the fact that Rogue itself was a rather short AC game, but the amount of post-game cleanup is right up there with a full blown AC release, which makes it even more apparent and extremely tedious. There's entire neighbourhoods in NYC that aren't even entered in the story yet they're on the map full of icons you need to clean up, etc.

As for AC3, I played it a year or two ago and thought it was just fine. Perhaps somewhat overlong at times, but I don't have many complaints about it. The only thing I didn't like was the fact that the 100% sync requirements all have to be completed in a single playthrough of a memory, whereas most of the games allow you to replay to obtain any you missed as opposed to requiring you to get them all again.

Personally I'm a bit weary of the older AC titles. While there's a lot to enjoy there's also a lot of less desirable elements (to me anyway) such as the often janky parkour, characters running the wrong way or jumping the wrong direction, or the Abstergo modern-day stuff which always struck me as an unnecessary intrusion into my playing as an Assassin. Rogue is a good example where every so often you get pulled out of the Animus to wander around the Abstergo offices repairing their servers so you can continue the story. I've fallen to my death many times because I pushed the stick one way and Shay decided to go the other way, etc. The newer games, while losing the linear story progression, definitely removed some of these irritants (while admittedly adding others), and I hope that Mirage is a return to form without bringing back the less desirable wonkiness that the older games often exhibited.

• Like 1