This game is proof for how soft trophy hunters have become in recent times.

ThatMuttGuy

I haven't commented on this forum in so long but I just looked up the trophies out of curiosity and when I saw that trophy I had to come here to see what people are saying. ?

Is anyone talking about the rarity tho? I got bored after one page but a trophy like this in a game that was free on PS+ on release I would think it would be rarer. Is it easier than it seems or is trophy hacking that bad these days?

I play this game with my friends and we are having a blast. Actually we keep joking about who will win their first Episode let alone 5 in a row and for me that the point of trophies to keep us going, playing and seeking a satisfactory challenege every once in a while.

3 hours ago, SeedersPhD said:

The main reasons people cite E.T. as being shit is because it was confusing and frustrating, which are things a player could easily overcome with the right amount of time and effort. It was shit, but it was also hard.

This is true, but you were mistaken earlier. People didn’t need to pitch a fit about returning games. It was the policy of the time. People have this idea that anyone who returns games is just trying to steal some free play. That may be true now, but it was nothing like that in 1983.

As a kid who returned ET, Swordquest, and Stellar Track, they were returned because I didn’t like them. Were they hard? Absolutely. But they were also devoid of fun for an 8-year-old. And no hissy fit was needed; Sears was more than happy to take them back.

7 hours ago, SeedersPhD said:

M8, games weren't that much harder back in the older generations, you were just younger. The only real difference between then and now is that we've evolved past the need for lives because they're an antiquated mechanic that a developer would implement because they were to lazy to make a sufficient amount of content. Sure, there were games like Contra, Battletoads, SHMUPS, etc., but we have just as many challenging games with things like the Souls games, plenty of rougelites, more SHMUPS, and plenty more. And the only reason no one complained about it was there were no massive internet boards to do so until mid-gen 6 to mid-gen 7. Do you need a reminder of how many people threw a hissyfit and returned E.T. the Extra Terrestrial for the Atari 2600 because it was too hard?

Many games were harder back then because of the limitations of the hardware. Jak X: Combat Racing may seem harder because again, limitations. A modern racing game may be hard because of the design, but it plays much smoother and better than those old games from times past. 

I played Contra on the PS4, did the classic collection a year ago and enjoyed it. Battletoads on the NES is still considered to be one of the hardest games on the system. For one, the Turbo Tunnel. Two, the game threw as many obstacles as the devs could shove into it. In terms of design and controls, Battletoads was a great game for the era. 

Just watch those old Angry Video Game Nerd episodes on Youtube to get an idea of how brutally unfair and frustrating those old Nintendo games were. We got it pretty easy nowadays. 

Yes, there is Crypt of the Necrodancer, Super Meat Boy, Cuphead and Sine Mora, to name a few difficult games. But all these games have fair game design. Many of those old games from 25 - 30 years ago DID NOT. 

I played a lot of old games, both good and bad. 

1 hour ago, ChunkyKong64 said:

Who knew such a cheerful, colorful game would bring such despair to these forums.

I think like Mario Party or Crash Team Racing it's in the category of colorful games that deep down are actually salt factories. ? Trophies aside, I can understand how one would get super frustrated in this game especially because of how sudden you can have victory robbed of you at the last second. That tail game seems to be the worst one.

p176nlpclhh51.png?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=cd6eccff60b59fcbdb6e144a3dc46c42aac21695

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Redgrave said:

I think like Mario Party or Crash Team Racing it's in the category of colorful games that deep down are actually salt factories. 1f61b.png Trophies aside, I can understand how one would get super frustrated in this game especially because of how sudden you can have victory robbed of you at the last second. That tail game seems to be the worst one.

p176nlpclhh51.png?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=cd6eccff60b59fcbdb6e144a3dc46c42aac21695

Mario Party was largely down to luck. You would pay Toad 20 coins for a Star, because you were running around on a board game. That spot on the map would turn into Chance Time, which was basically a gamble whether you were going to give Mario himself all your coins or not. 

Some of the mini games had some skill, like that Castaways game where you were fishing for coins. Others like Pipe Maze were crap. Then there was Tug-o-War which was poorly designed. You had to rotate the N64 control stick. Gave a lot of kids sore hands. 

I imagine if Mario Party had a trophy list, you would get people saying how it is too bullshit RNG dependant.

2 hours ago, lporiginalg said:

I haven't commented on this forum in so long but I just looked up the trophies out of curiosity and when I saw that trophy I had to come here to see what people are saying. 1f602.png

Is anyone talking about the rarity tho? I got bored after one page but a trophy like this in a game that was free on PS+ on release I would think it would be rarer. Is it easier than it seems or is trophy hacking that bad these days?

There is an exploit where you can quit out and it will not count as a loss if you quit before you are officially eliminated.  So you can’t tell the people who earned it legit (few)  vs. the ones with earned it with the exploit (many).

Either way it seems a lot of work/stress for a trophy (just look at this thread lol) but hunters be thirsty.

There is another trophy that requires Fame Level 40 for the season (35K XP) and it is a grind, not sure I make it as the game gets very repetitive.  They need a influx of new events, as every event plays out the same, zzzz.

It was fun for a couple of weeks but not sure on the staying power.

3 hours ago, JohnCenaSong- said:

True, it being shit made it somewhat difficult, but difficulty wasn't the deciding factor that's all, I think more people were concerned with how E.T was the hot property yet this thing was a stinker. It all kinda culminated together, there's loads of shit on the A2600 as I'm sure you're probably aware and E.T wasn't as bad as any of them, nor as hard as many other games which were beloved but it just all exploded over E.T. Many still credit it as being the cause of the videogame crash (it wasn't the cause exactly, but it was a tipping point for sure) and I don't think just being difficult or confusing would have that much of an impact as shown by the success of so many franchises through history that have been equally/more confusing and difficult. But now I weirdly fancy playing E.T again xD

Ya, that's a fair point, and I've been increasingly antagonistic for no reason. It's true that it contributed, but damn if Atari isn't one of the most mismanaged companies of all time...Imagine what would've been if the Atari 7800 had made a bigger impact and Atari was king of the market.

True for the most part, there were still mainstream voices though. It certainly isn't as prevalent as today for sure but I do feel people discount how mainstream gaming had been talked about for quite some time pre-social media era. In part probably because traditional media back in the day pictured gamers as basement dwellers yet the stats show gaming was pretty much just as mainstream then as it is now so it wasn't all hardcores talking games. Now of course the industry has grown a lot since then (woohoo, or maybe not woohoo if you're not a fan of the direction AAA is heading xD) but it's always been a pretty chunky market. You're certainly right though, message boards and such were typically hardcore oriented for the most part.

Now all the sudden I got a massive desire to go back in time and see DoomWorld around it's birth. While the doom modding scene is still around, watching that blossom from day one would be GLORIOUS! ?

Oh, and I did see MediEvil get the 'it's Dark Souls' treatment xD even though that game was super easy. Didn't see it for Spyro, seen the attitude around retro collections like some Sega/Atari etc. Doom as well, MegaMan, none of which were considered particularly difficult when they came out (aside from maybe some of the megaman games).

What, there's no way the MediEvil...damn it Playstation - https://www.gamesradar.com/medievil-remake-feels-like-dark-souls-says-playstation/

See, I don't necessarily think losing progress is poor design, overly generous checkpointing is part of what makes something easy. If you need to beat a section not taking too much damage you've gotta be decent and overcome each obstacle. If you can just run through over and over taking loads of damage trying to make that next checkpoint, die immediately after it, respawn now half way into the section with full health you have an even easier job at the second half of this section with unlimited tries to just run through that barely even paying attention. Obviously starting the game from scratch if you run out of lives is overkill, but, if you have infinite attempts at the smallest little segment you can effortlessly bruteforce your way. If something can just be just bruteforced then that's just easy no matter how high your death count is because you never had to improve to overcome it, it just happened. In some CoD games you can literally hold run and not fight anything, may die a few times but eventually you'll run through enough bullets to activate the next checkpoint xD how is that difficult? Sure, you died, but I don't think death count is an explicit measure of difficulty because the effort made there was so minor yet still lead to a successfull completion.

That's a fair point too. Checkpoints have to be common enough to not waste a player's time while also not following the player every step of the way, which game developers can never balance right. It really depends on the title though, like level based platformers have it the easiest with usually each level having a single checkpoint in between. As for shooters, it can be used as a teaching experience if a gun fight is well designed and enemies follow certain patterns, but if enemies are just thrown nilly willy like it's opening hours on black friday and there's a superb deal on flat screen TVs then it's just trying over and over again. I complain about luck in games about every 12 minutes, not because it's bad but because I'm a salty bitch, so it definitely serves a purpose but can really throw a wrench in testing a player's abilities or creating a unique challenge.

1 hour ago, starcrunch061 said:

This is true, but you were mistaken earlier. People didn’t need to pitch a fit about returning games. It was the policy of the time. People have this idea that anyone who returns games is just trying to steal some free play. That may be true now, but it was nothing like that in 1983.

As a kid who returned ET, Swordquest, and Stellar Track, they were returned because I didn’t like them. Were they hard? Absolutely. But they were also devoid of fun for an 8-year-old. And no hissy fit was needed; Sears was more than happy to take them back.

You're totally right, I shouldn't have said it like that. I've returned games I just didn't like, I just wasn't paying much mind to the specifics of the words I was saying.

Bless old Sears, they really cared, didn't they? ?

48 minutes ago, Redgrave said:

I think like Mario Party or Crash Team Racing it's in the category of colorful games that deep down are actually salt factories. 1f61b.png Trophies aside, I can understand how one would get super frustrated in this game especially because of how sudden you can have victory robbed of you at the last second. That tail game seems to be the worst one.

Ooooh yes absolutely. The tail games have that weird lag and messes up any possible strategy. I think it's a mixture of both Mario Party (luck based) and Crash Racing (skill based, I think idk) that is mixing people's emotions. The sudden victory/loss I think add's to the fun because every second matters, but I get why people hate that idea for a trophy like that.

This a bait topic? Are you seriously complaining about trophy hunters being mad a dev that admitted to not caring about trophy hunters and purposely making the trophy almost impossible to get? I personally don’t care about my trophy case, but these devs that purposefully put impossible trophies into their games need to stop. It’s fun for nobody. I enjoy getting a platinum trophy, what I don’t enjoy is my hobby getting pissed on because the dev is ignorant. We have every right to be mad. 

5 hours ago, lporiginalg said:

People found a way to cheat it, you now basically just need 5 wins overall, not in a row. Some exploit where if you quit before you die it doesn't count as dying.

I do believe it's far easier than people make out to do it legit though so I wasn't expecting it to be crazy rare (both me and a few friends have done so legit and I've seen a couple streamers do it fairly easily too) but yeah, there's definitely an extra surge from the exploit.

It'll probably also be more common in the future too since the devs have shown interest in making it easier to obtain down the line.

6 hours ago, lporiginalg said:

I haven't commented on this forum in so long but I just looked up the trophies out of curiosity and when I saw that trophy I had to come here to see what people are saying. ?

Nah there's an exploit where you can quit the game if you aren't winning and not break the streak. Frustrating having people drop out in team games because of this.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Herbalistiikka said:

There are bazillion trophies out there that are just outright ridiculous in terms of grind and all that (Star Ocean 4 or White Knight Chronicles for example) it's kind of funny that this trophy here is something that was supposedly the last straw. 

Well this is the crux of the whole situation. People have different taste in what constitutes a fair challenge.

There are ridiculous trophies that have generated outrage before. Like Fight Night 4 or Lost Planet 2 .

All for different reasons.

I personally would say that having a game be grindy is not that bad. Many game have multiplayer trophies where you need to rank up.

Timeconsuming yes, but fair.

Also there are really difficult games like the Souls Games or Guitar Hero. They are hard but you can actually master them and complete them.

If Rocket League had a trophy with 5 wins in a row people wouldn't mind. Because the amount of skill needed far outweighs the amount of luck necessary.

Fall Guys does not balance this properly. There are a lot of situation where no amount of skill can negate the bad luck you sometime have and that is unfair.

9 hours ago, xKirbz- said:

This a bait topic? Are you seriously complaining about trophy hunters being mad a dev that admitted to not caring about trophy hunters and purposely making the trophy almost impossible to get? I personally don’t care about my trophy case, but these devs that purposefully put impossible trophies into their games need to stop. It’s fun for nobody. I enjoy getting a platinum trophy, what I don’t enjoy is my hobby getting pissed on because the dev is ignorant. We have every right to be mad. 

This is my issue. Make your game hard, fine. Make hard trophies in your game, fine. But don't troll trophy hunters by specifically creating a trophy that you think is so hard no one will ever get it.

11 hours ago, Lordidude said:

I personally would say that having a game be grindy is not that bad.

Just putting this out here as bit of extreme of grinding but WKC and Star Ocean 4 are notorious for the amount of time you need to put into them. WKC was like 1000 hours plus. But besides that there are lots of 200 hour or so grinds that are just there because they want torture. Just as Infallible is "impossible" and about "bullying trophy hunters" I'd say those meaningless grinds are just as much the same. More achievable sure, but ultimately just torture. They usually amount to nothing as far as satisfaction goes and MHW's RNG crown grind really was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. It put me off so badly that I didn't even bother with the expansion even though I liked the game itself. I mean, spending hundreds of hours for just a single trophy pop doing unfun stuff when you could finish numerous games within that time period just feels so stupid in retrospect.

Also, as a personal opinion, difficulty and especially trophies related to it are often just terrible as well. Especially in the shooters you're already handicapped with controller instead of KBM and then you get one shot or infinite grenade spammed or something else completely unfun so you just waste hours and hours going through stuff that's just bullshit memorizing spawns or just outright rushing enemy spawn points. Like honestly, Souls games aren't even really that difficult or merciless compared to all the bullshit I dare say most games put you through on harder difficulties.

I guess what I'm trying to go for is that maybe this obsession over trophies has gone little too far for some, valuing trophies over anything else the game has to offer. Even though I'm not particularly fond of Undertale, I still laugh at Tobyfox just taking the piss with the platinum trophy name and trophies in general because he hates them.

Edited by Herbalistiikka