PS+ not required and faster ways to get some trophies

cris3f

There's a thread asking this but to cut it short:

PS Plus is NOT required to plat the game

You'll definitely have to play with another player or with a boosting account (several probably) as several trophies will be almost impossible to achieve playing against the console. But you can play games with others, not in real time, without PS Plus. I don't have it as I'm doing it and I don't believe any trophy will be impossible without Plus. Not the only not free to play game that can be done without Plus, Journey also can (but no plat there).

Complete all the tutorials immediately after starting the game you'll clear a lot of trophies that way.

I'm not even a very good chess player but found a few ways to get trophies faster than what is described in the trophy guide available or in the xBox and steam guides.

Queen Sacrifice

and

Scholar's Mate

can be both earned at the same time. Start a game with a alt account, you must be white:

e3      f6

Qh5+     g6

Be2     gxh5

Bxh5#

Pity I did not figure this one out earlier, would have saved me a game.

Alekhine's Gun

can be done in challenge Mate in 3 - 03. Just move the lowest tower from g1 to g3, then the game will move and then the queen from h3 to g2. Bing, trophy pops, no need for another painful account switching game. I don't believe the game will render the trophy impossible in its single move, it would be a really bad move on his part.

Blind Pigs

can be done in challenge Mate in 3 - 09. Just move the lowest tower from d5 to d7, bing.

A stalemate can be easily achieved in Mate 3 - 08, but sadly the stalemate trophy does not pop. There's also a Epaulette Mate in one of the Historic Puzzles and no trophy there either, so all the check mate trophies will only pop on real games, not Challenges. At least they work with self boosting, getting most against the CPU would be a nightmare.

To win a game against Grandmaster difficulty there's a very good free chess game for Android called DroidFish. This is based on a much more powerful chess engine than the one on Chess Ultra, so it will crush it quickly. Just play the game on it with the opposite color the PS4 game chose and it's just a matter of playing on both. If it's the first game you'll play, even after finishing the tutorial, you'll get 5 trophies, 2 golds, 1 silver and 2 bronzes.

DroidFish will also come in very handy in the 3 blunder Historic Puzzle challenges. These will be different in each game so no detailed solution can be found anywhere. Be aware that the game is always in Grandmaster difficulty in all challenges. The last two are very tied when they start and the game engine loves to stall the game as much as it can, so expect these 2 to last quite a while if you unlucky.

Last, don't underestimate the advantage of getting the trophies that require another player online with someone else (Fool's Mate, Scholar's Mate, Queen Sacrifice, Stalemate, Back-rank Mate, Epaulette Mate, Boden's Mate). You're looking at a 10 minute job for each player, versus at least 1 hour of self boosting by account switching. I had help on 3 of them and the difference is staggering. There's a very good trophy guide with simple detailed notations that helps on trueachievements, the xbox achievements fro the game are equal. Beats videos, that I hate following.

Have fun.

Edited by cris3f
  • Like 2

On 8/21/2020 at 11:51 PM, cris3f said:

Blind Pigs

can be done in challenge Mate in 3 - 09. Just move the lowest tower from b5 to b5, bing.

It's actually d5 to d7, I don't know where you got those from because there is no tower there and if you move it there it does not pop.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2020 at 0:33 PM, shxrpay said:

It's actually d5 to d7, I don't know where you got those from because there is no tower there and if you move it there it does not pop.

It was a obvious typing mistake, as b5-b5 is not even a possible chess move. It was pretty easy to see what had to be done, one of the towers is already on the second rank. Already corrected, trophy pops I tested on 2 other alts to be 110% sure.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, cris3f said:

It was a obvious typing mistake, as b5-b5 is not even a possible chess move. It was pretty easy to see what had to be done, one of the towers is already on the second rank. Already corrected, trophy pops I tested on 2 other alts to be 110% sure.

Thanks for the info. I'm a causal Chess player. If I ever decide to seriously trophy hunt this game, I will try to keep this in mind. 

3 minutes ago, Tripple_Barnett said:

Thanks for the info. I'm a causal Chess player. If I ever decide to seriously trophy hunt this game, I will try to keep this in mind. 

Frankly even a pretty bad chess player can still plat this game easily. Much easier than the other Ripstone title, Pure Chess, even if the 32 players tournament trophy is a PITA.

• Like 2