Can you be banned by Sony for creating multiple region accounts?

Cryogenicide_X

Not now, but they'll ban you in the future maybe, too risky. You create an account with a wrong adress and this is against the rules. If the political climate will change they'll ban your account in 5, 10 or 20 years maybe and then all your Accounts and Trophies are lost.

Edited by Sikutai

6 minutes ago, Sikutai said:

Not now, but they'll ban you in the future maybe, too risky. You create an account with a wrong adress and this is against the rules. If the political climate will change they'll ban your account in 5, 10 or 20 years maybe and then all your Accounts and Trophies are lost.

I doubt it. How do they know where I live or lived? If I create an American account and move to Europe, am I suppose to delete the American account? What about people whose countries were added later? Will the ban my main account or just my alternative accounts? Way too much grey area for Sony to want to touch it with a ten-foot pole unless they want a lawsuit for restricting people's access to games they paid for.

• Like 3

Technically, Yes

Practically, Hell no xD

Look how many people have dozens of accounts, heck, NekoRave in this very thread says they have 300. I have never once heard of someone ever getting banned for it (at least with proof).

I highly doubt you'd ever get banned.

But here's where the 'technically yes' comes in, technically within the terms of service it does kind of cover this and basically says you shouldn't be doing this... But again, I have never seen a genuine case of Sony ever penalising anyone for doing it so... Eh, take what you want from that.

I don't think Sony really cares about it. It may be on their TOS, but I don't think they'd be willing to lose so many prospective customers and unleash a massive backlash from gamers worldwide just because people have multiple accounts.

My main account, this one, is made out of fake information because my country isn't even selectable on the PSN. Sony never really added it, I suppose mostly due to laws and other bullshit. Most likely they're never going to add it anyway. Besides this account, I also have at least 10 other dummy accounts that I've used to self-boost online trophies in the past. I also have access to accounts from different regions in order to get games that are not in the US store because, why not?

In the end, as long as you don't do anything too sketchy with your accounts, you're free to have as many as you want.

4 hours ago, Spaz said:

I made multiple region accounts so I could get all the stacks of Sound Shapes, which sadly you cannot autopop the trophies anymore because of server shutdown.

Still got some funds left on my UK, HK and JP accounts, need to spend some of that money before I completely forget.

Yikes, and you are always complaining that because of Rata stackers, platinums don’t have meaning.  But auto-popping Sound Shapes?  No irony there!  

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, djb5f said:

Yikes, and you are always complaining that because of Rata stackers, platinums don’t have meaning.  But auto-popping Sound Shapes?  No irony there!  

I did this before Ratalalika became a thing. Sort of did it for the #100 platinum milestone, then decided that getting games purely for the trophies just wasn’t worth it and decided to do games I wanted to play for the enjoyment. 

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I did this before Ratalalika became a thing. Sort of did it for the #100 platinum milestone, then decided that getting games purely trophies just wasn’t worth it and decided to do games I wanted to play for the enjoyment. 

Ahh, fair enough!  

The world is constantly changing and the current trend is that everything will be regulated and monitored. Who does not say that certain governments, for example the USA, will increase the pressure on companies like Sony in the future. Companies will need to know better who their customers are in order to identify fakes and potential dangers. Sony is currently earning very good money with it and is of course not doing anything. Should the political pressure rise, however, this will change because such accounts violate business regulations. These are just my personal thoughts, nobody knows how the world will eventually develop. But if that happens, in maybe 10 or 20 years your accounts and trophies will be lost, all your hard work for nothing. Do you want to risk that?

PS.: Thank you Google Translator.

As of now they are not because the law doesn't currently make Sony liable for what users do.  This has always been the case where stores are not held liable for what people do with what is sold, only if they fail to follow laws regarding the sale of a product.  So for example, a tobacco shop isn't going to be held liable if they sell cigarettes to someone of age who then gives them to a minor.  All they are responsible for is checking the ID of the buyer and making sure that with the information they are given that they are making a sale that is legal.  That's similar to what Sony has to do.  Sony is only required to confirm what location a buyer is in to ensure they are permitted to sell the content and that they collect the correct amount of tax for the sale, they aren't expected to know how accurate the information provided is any more than the tobacco shop is expected to know that a buyer is going to give the cigarettes to a minor.  Until there is a better way for online service providers to confirm data provided, the only expectation is that they do not knowingly sell to people outside of the areas that it can be sold in.

On 8/22/2020 at 8:54 AM, Cryogenicide_X said:

I've always wondered whether it is something you could be banned for? I know people are going to say, "well why would you be banned for it"?

Well, because you are playing games from another country that you aren't from or live in. Your playing games from other countries that isn't your own. 

I don’t see how. I mean, you can have multiple accounts on a single console. Having another regional account could always just be passed off as someone else’s.

9 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

I don’t see how. I mean, you can have multiple accounts on a single console. Having another regional account could always just be passed off as someone else’s.

Yeah but when you're earning trophies from the multiple region accounts on your main account, surely Sony can trace where they came from?

20 minutes ago, ladynadiad said:

As of now they are not because the law doesn't currently make Sony liable for what users do.  This has always been the case where stores are not held liable for what people do with what is sold, only if they fail to follow laws regarding the sale of a product.  So for example, a tobacco shop isn't going to be held liable if they sell cigarettes to someone of age who then gives them to a minor.  All they are responsible for is checking the ID of the buyer and making sure that with the information they are given that they are making a sale that is legal.  That's similar to what Sony has to do.  Sony is only required to confirm what location a buyer is in to ensure they are permitted to sell the content and that they collect the correct amount of tax for the sale, they aren't expected to know how accurate the information provided is any more than the tobacco shop is expected to know that a buyer is going to give the cigarettes to a minor.  Until there is a better way for online service providers to confirm data provided, the only expectation is that they do not knowingly sell to people outside of the areas that it can be sold in.

I know that, in America, if you go and buy alcohol and/or tobacco and the shop has reasons to believe you are buying for a minor, they should refuse the sale. Like, even if you walk into the store with someone underage or have someone wait outside and they can see them through the window, they can and do refuse the sale. 

14 minutes ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

Yeah but when you're earning trophies from the multiple region accounts on your main account, surely Sony can trace where they came from?

Well, you earn trophies from games in multiple regions, sure. But games bought on one account can be used by other accounts on the same region, so it still doesn’t prove you’re the single owner of multiple accounts.

6 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

Well, you earn trophies from games in multiple regions, sure. But games bought on one account can be used by other accounts on the same region, so it still doesn’t prove you’re the single owner of multiple accounts.

I don't mean other accounts on the same region. I mean like buying games from the US PS Store but then playing them say on your UK account and earning the trophies even though the game is the US version.