Can you be banned by Sony for creating multiple region accounts?

Cryogenicide_X

16 minutes ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

I don't mean other accounts on the same region. I mean like buying games from the US PS Store but then playing them say on your UK account and earning the trophies even though the game is the US version. 

Yeah, me too. 

Here’s the thing. My wife is actually Belgian. I have a Belgian account. It’s not hers or anything, but if Sony snoops, I could always say it was. I literally have US and EU games on my system right now.

But even if my wife wasn’tBelgian, I’ve known other foreigners, and Sony would REALLY have to be diligent with its snooping to say such an account wasn’t theirs.

Even if Sony cared, and I don’t think they do, it would be hard for them to do anything.

27 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

Well, you earn trophies from games in multiple regions, sure. But games bought on one account can be used by other accounts on the same machine so it still doesn’t prove you’re the single owner of multiple accounts.

I think the confusion comes from a typo in this post. I’ve corrected it.

The point is, a single machine can be used by people with different regional accounts.

2 minutes ago, UltraFire121 said:

Like I said a silly question to bring it up here making it all trophy hunters can't use multiple accounts anymore in fear. Pathetic.

What an invalidating thing to say.

It's not a silly question at all. People should be well-informed of the potential risks of making multiple accounts so they can make their own decision. At the end of the day, it is against the ToS of Sony but it has never been enforced. That could always change, however unlikely. 

If people have a low-risk tolerance and decide not to have multiple accounts, that's on them and I'm happy they made an informed decision. 

9 minutes ago, UltraFire121 said:

Like I said a silly question to bring it up here making it all trophy hunters can't use multiple accounts anymore in fear. Pathetic.

That was uncalled for, thats not the message I'm trying to send out. The question I asked was perfectly reasonable to ask. 

Nope, and it will always be safe

sony can’t enforce the rules because not every country has its region on the PlayStation network, like will they blame a person in Africa that made an American account just to play there system and have fun, of course not. The only region as far as I know consider it illegal is Korea that’s why you need a security number to make a psn account.

As you can't change the region of your account and people actually move from one country to another, it's actually Sony's official recommendation to create another account:

"If you would like to use PlayStation Store in a new country within the same PlayStation region we recommend setting up a new account registered in your new country."

Also, you're allowed to move back to your original country. Three times a day if you choose to, they're not going to stop you.

28 minutes ago, Kittet3 said:

What an invalidating thing to say.

It's not a silly question at all. People should be well-informed of the potential risks of making multiple accounts so they can make their own decision. At the end of the day, it is against the ToS of Sony but it has never been enforced. That could always change, however unlikely. 

If people have a low-risk tolerance and decide not to have multiple accounts, that's on them and I'm happy they made an informed decision. 

Say what you will Kittet3. My stance won't change. People are allowed to have multiple accounts on their own free will just to buy same games whatnot and it won't get you banned. Only Korea is illegal unless you get a security number that is.

2 minutes ago, UltraFire121 said:

Say what you will Kittet3. My stance won't change. People are allowed to have multiple accounts on their own free will just to buy same games whatnot and it won't get you banned. Only Korea is illegal unless you get a security number that is.

I don't disagree with that at all, I just disagree with calling the discussion silly and pathetic :P Sorry I wasn't clear.

The Korea thing is interesting to bring up, though. If enough people in Korea make other region accounts to get around whatever reason they have that security number in place for, I wonder if Korea will pressure Sony to tighten up on multiple accounts :hmm:

10 hours ago, Kittet3 said:

I know that, in America, if you go and buy alcohol and/or tobacco and the shop has reasons to believe you are buying for a minor, they should refuse the sale. Like, even if you walk into the store with someone underage or have someone wait outside and they can see them through the window, they can and do refuse the sale. 

Yeah, that is true but if someone comes in alone and just buys a pack of smokes and then gives them to a kid elsewhere they aren't to blame for the lack of knowledge and the smart people who buy for minors do exactly that because they are less likely to be caught.  It boils down to the knowledge whether liability exists.  The main point I'm trying to make though is that Sony isn't held liable for actions users take that they cannot be aware of.  This is the case for many things because there's also examples like YouTube not being held liable for users posting material that is a copyright violation or stores that sell items later used in a crime not being held liable for selling the product.  If stores were held liable for what their customers did, we'd honestly have few stores left at this point.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Atoya said:

Nope, and it will always be safe

sony can’t enforce the rules because not every country has its region on the PlayStation network, like will they blame a person in Africa that made an American account just to play there system and have fun, of course not. The only region as far as I know consider it illegal is Korea that’s why you need a security number to make a psn account.

I didn't know Korean accounts work like that. 

I have an update guys about the question I originally asked in this topic. So I just spoke to someone from Sony customer support, I explained everything that I basically asked here so I won't repeat it. He told me that no, you can't be banned from playing games from multiple regions. He then put me on hold and even spoke to someone who is a higher up at Sony and asked them too. No, you can't be banned for doing this. 

He said you're not breaking any laws at the end of the day. Also, he said not allowing it would be going against freedom of speech sort of thing and that's why Sony allow it. He also said that we have people from like Saudi Arabia that create UK accounts too so obviously there fully aware of this going on. 

So yeah, I'm glad it's been cleared up if everything he said was true. It's all good to hear. I know most of what peoples responses in this topic was more or less what the Sony representative said but still...

Anyway, thanks for all your responses guys. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

I have an update guys about the question I originally asked in this topic. So I just spoke to someone from Sony customer support, I explained everything that I basically asked here so I won't repeat it. He told me that no, you can't be banned from playing games from multiple regions. He then put me on hold and even spoke to someone who is a higher up at Sony and asked them too. No, you can't be banned for doing this. 

He said you're not breaking any laws at the end of the day. Also, he said not allowing it would be going against freedom of speech sort of thing and that's why Sony allow it. He also said that we have people from like Saudi Arabia that create UK accounts too so obviously there fully aware of this going on. 

So yeah, I'm glad it's been cleared up if everything he said was true. It's all good to hear. I know most of what peoples responses in this topic was more or less what the Sony representative said but still...

Anyway, thanks for all your responses guys. 

So much for the topic: "You shouldn't wake sleeping Dogs".

On 8/24/2020 at 2:57 AM, ladynadiad said:

Yeah, that is true but if someone comes in alone and just buys a pack of smokes and then gives them to a kid elsewhere they aren't to blame for the lack of knowledge and the smart people who buy for minors do exactly that because they are less likely to be caught. 

I don't think smart people buy for minors. ?

2 hours ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

I'm just telling you what he said to me.

It was more a comment on that person and their ridiculous explanation than anything about you. I don't expect much from first level customer support and your experience pretty much sums up what I expect.

Edited by DaivRules

46 minutes ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

He then put me on hold and even spoke to someone who is a higher up at Sony and asked them too. No, you can't be banned for doing this. 

I can guarantee that "higher up" will be someone equivalent to a supervisor at best (not management) or maybe even just someone who's worked there longer in the same role as the person you spoke to.

Not that I think anyone is getting banned for this, I just wouldn't class anything you were told as coming from someone "high up" at Sony. Anyone that level wouldn't have been around to be consulted while you were on hold.

I don't think Sony cares as long as the country doesn't care. Like if you want a Korean account you'll need a korean identity number which makes it quite impossible to make an account for that region if you don't live there. If Sony doesn't step up and do verification better then it's their own damn fault for a bazillion alt accounts.

1 hour ago, starcrunch061 said:

I don't think smart people buy for minors. 1f604.png

Yeah, that wasn't great wording, better would be to say the ones that don't get caught  You wouldn't believe the number of people who do stuff they shouldn't and get caught because they can't keep their mouths shut.  The smartness I was definitely more of a not stupid sort.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

By this logic my buddy that comes over from the US to Germany, signs in on my PS5, we play some of his US Version game on my German account would make Sony ban my German Main Account?

This will never happen.

Especially since the PS4/PS5 is region free.

You can fly to Japan and buy Japanese Only Games over there, bring them back to Germany or the US and play them on your main account.

Same with importing games from other countrys.

Sony never really enforced this, because people have made multiple region accounts since the very beginning. Everyone who has games from different regions (indicated by NA, EU, AS, HK and JP) that are not native to their area either imported them physically or made an account for a different region. 

We all provided fake information for those different regions. They’re essentially throw away accounts that are used only to buy games in areas that you cannot purchase on your primary account that is set in your region. 

• Like 1

Like i said before, the PS4/PS5 is region free.

The same way you can go on holidays in Japan or somewhere else or import games physically.

Normally this doesn‘t give them a right to do anything to your account.

Also wouldn’t it be smarter for them to just remove all trophy list from all accounts that are from different regions?