Genres/franchises you grew out of as you got older

DaveMcDamage

Hi all,

So basically this is all about if you've found yourself growing our or away from gaming genres/franchises as you get older.

Where you're a kid anything goes and you will try anything which is the most awesome thing about being a nipper. But as you get old and boring you find yourself moving away from certain genres for whatever reason. 

Myself. I cannot handle platform games anymore. The days of run, jump, miss, repeat until success are long behind me. As a teen I got work just to pay for the beat em up arcade titles like Pit Fighter, Street Fighter etc etc, but around 2007 that genre burned out of me. The one that shocked me is how I drifted away from racing games. I used to frikkin love these games. Mario Kart, Forza, PGR to name a few, but again I went off them last gen. Perhaps the lap after lap repetition got to me, dunno, but I cannot entertain anything longer than a demo these days. 

I'm also getting tired of Japanese games. Don't get me wrong in terms of mechanics and controls the gameplay is still strong, but wow can those guys not write for a global audience. Its more like a badly written play and I wish they knew who the hell to cast for western dubbing. Most of these chumps doing the voice work for these dubbed games bring a whole new meaning to the term 'dialed it in'. I was even shocked by the Final Fantasy VII remake demo when hearing the guy with the gun arm. I know the character is supposed to be a rough as nails merv type character but the guy who voiced him sounded like an 80's wrestler on too much red bull. 

So any of you guys noticed likes that have become dislikes or are your choice of genre still strong with the universe. 

• Like 3

Like you I grew tired of platformers because I just lacked the patience for the typical non-responsive controls they seemed to have.  Nothing is more frustrating than losing a life because you hit the button to jump or whatever was needed to be done and the character didn't do a thing.

Franchise wise, I'd say in general everything Square/Enix.  Back when I was younger they were among my favorite devs,  I loved the old school FF games, I loved Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest IV and Secret of Mana.  But after VII came out, about the only game in the FF series I liked was IX.  To a lesser degree I could say I've grown out of the Tales of series, but that's more that the entries I liked were less played and the more known entries I thought at best were boring and at worst outright hated.

But overall as time passes, I find myself less and less drawn to games that are popular and I fall in love with obscure games.  About the only series I loved back in the days that is still around now is the Ys series, which I got into back in the 90s with the SNES version of Ys III.  It sucks too because a lot of my favorite games that are really fun end up doing poorly and don't get future releases, but games that are so bland to me sell like hotcakes without even trying and I just can't find anything to enjoy about them.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ladynadiad said:

It sucks too because a lot of my favorite games that are really fun end up doing poorly and don't get future releases, but games that are so bland to me sell like hotcakes without even trying and I just can't find anything to enjoy about them.

It sounds harsh as hell to say, and borders on plain snobbery, but the masses are like magpies and not interested in depth so much as they are the shiny-shiny.

I keep meaning to give more indie devs a try, but I bought a next gen console to play next gen gaming and huge blockbuster quality games, but it then puts me into the shiny-shiny category lol. 

I think a lot comes down to when you eventually get a working life and so due to 90% of the population being tied to repetitive work, it means things like gaming genres can dwindle as we try to avoid the samey-samey (I'm starting to sound like a Mad Max 3 character with these double words) but whilst we iron out the crap, it does leave a limited amount to what we can enjoy. 

This gen has given me some truly amazing games which I will remember for all my years, but its also been incredibly limited and most likely because of how society has been let down with quality throughout all commercial purchases. We/they have tried to stick with what we know and so this is the result which leaves us with getting the same stuff over and over again.

It's easy to slag off devs and publishers for not being more open minded, but when you look at the cost of even the most basic of games it can sort of be understood in which the fear to take a chance also effects them. I mean you could find a pencil and paper on the floor at the cost of nothing and make a work of art worth millions, or you could use your camera phone to make a short movie which gets acclaim and awards worldwide, where as the gaming development stands no chance against that. 

I've grown tired of MMOs and AAA games that are designed like MMOs. It feels less like you're playing a game and more like you're being shuttled through area after area of systematically-arranged enemies and NPCs. "Here's your starting area. Do these quests until you get to level 5. Now you are ready to go to the next area. Do these quests until you get to level 10." Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah...

That's why I think Dark Souls saved gaming for me. It took that formula and said, "Fuck this. If you're good enough, you can go anywhere you want. Just don't expect us to hold your hand." And that's such a breath of fresh air, to be able to play a game where your experience is wholly unique, where you're doing more than just going through the motions.

I'm probably different than most people. I've gotten more attached to the games I grew up with. Farming sims, platformers, RPGs... I appreciate them more now because I've seen what else is out there and I'm not so impressed.

• Like 2

I'm still down with any genre I've liked since I was younger, but there's definitely some franchises I've grown out off since then.

Assassin's Creed after Black Flag

Gears of War after Gears 3

Call of Duty after Black Ops 3 (although I'm working on a plat right now)

Guitar Hero (and Rock Band) after 2008

Mostly casual games, but other than that I'm cool.

2 hours ago, LoveInHell said:

I like anything but shooters used to be my favourite genre and that faded away after Call of Duty: Black Ops 3. I don’t mind a shooter now and then (from PS+ or huge discount) but its definitely not something I have on my “priority” gaming wish list.

Yeah I tend to stick with single player FPS games. It can be a tricky genre as you really need to nail that smooth movement and still to this day a lot of devs can't get it right. I too went of the CoD franchise, but one thing I will always credit them for is how awesome the pick up n play is. The controls and movements are so smooth that they were awesome experiences. 

30 minutes ago, Crzy Minus said:

I'm still down with any genre I've liked since I was younger, but there's definitely some franchises I've grown out off since then.

Assassin's Creed after Black Flag

A guy I know was a huge fan of Assassins Creed but after they killed off a major character he kind of drifted from it as everything he was hoping the franchise was leading up to, was dashed at the end of that particular game. I also hoped the intention was to eventually reached modern day and have awesome traversals across high rises etc, but this historic set pieces whilst making sense to the particular game they are set, also feels like a massive cop out from making an awesome modern day city experience. Not touched the franchise since AC2, though that was a good game. 

2 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

I've grown tired of MMOs and AAA games that are designed like MMOs. It feels less like you're playing a game and more like you're being shuttled through area after area of systematically-arranged enemies and NPCs. "Here's your starting area. Do these quests until you get to level 5. Now you are ready to go to the next area. Do these quests until you get to level 10." Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah...

That's why I think Dark Souls saved gaming for me. It took that formula and said, "Fuck this. If you're good enough, you can go anywhere you want. Just don't expect us to hold your hand." And that's such a breath of fresh air, to be able to play a game where your experience is wholly unique, where you're doing more than just going through the motions.

I'm probably different than most people. I've gotten more attached to the games I grew up with. Farming sims, platformers, RPGs... I appreciate them more now because I've seen what else is out there and I'm not so impressed.

I felt the same but for me it was Witcher 3. Now all games are very go fetch type stuff, but very few give purpose and meaning. Witcher gave even the smallest of quests a very detailed story and reason to want to do them. 

As for Dark Souls. I'm personally not a fan. Did the first game on the 360 and the first half of the game was really decent and loved how much detail went into weapon mechanics and skills, but then it went proper Japanese and went bat-shit mental and threw logic and sense out of the window. That, plus I think 3-4 playthroughs and I couldn't stomach it anymore once I got the 1000G. Though for skill and challenge alone, I understand the fanbase it has, especially in this day and age where most devs and publishers opt for pay to win rather than force the gamer to get better skills if they wish to progress. 

7 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

It sounds harsh as hell to say, and borders on plain snobbery, but the masses are like magpies and not interested in depth so much as they are the shiny-shiny.

I keep meaning to give more indie devs a try, but I bought a next gen console to play next gen gaming and huge blockbuster quality games, but it then puts me into the shiny-shiny category lol. 

Keep in mind that going for indie and smaller devs doesn't mean giving up pretty graphics.  My personal favorite dev is Falcom and their newest games look great.  Not AAA quality graphics, but definitely a quality that won't work on PS3 or Vita.  But truly, I bought a PS4 mostly because the games I want to play aren't available on Vita and PS3.  I don't care about graphics, I care about a game being fun, having a good story and interesting characters.  If a game that has all those happens to have pretty graphics too, then that's totally fine.  It's a shame the Vita is pretty much dead now, because many games I like are so much better on a handheld with a smaller screen.

I do personally think that the obsession with pretty graphics has led to the vast majority of problems with gaming though.  AAA quality graphics are expensive and that has led to those devs being less willing to take risks that would hinder sales and having to depend on crappy practices such as lootboxes, microtransactions and DLC.  I also don't think every game needs shiny graphics.  3D graphics and excessive realism just doesn't work for many types of games.  I'm honestly more impressed by beautiful hand drawn artwork than the shiniest AAA graphics.  If I want to see realism, I can go outside and see all I want.

• Like 1

Call of Duty
Enjoyed going through the campaigns, but I think fatigue set in a bit with them. Combined with how same-y they all are from a gameplay standpoint, particularly on veteran. Too much peak-shoot-hide-heal-repeat going on. I used to very much enjoy the multiplayer too, but the lack of evolution here also killed my interest. In addition to the TTK being to quick for my liking.

FIFA
Similar story to Call of Duty with the lack of evolution here in another annualised franchise. Majority of resources got poured into the money printing mode (Ultimate Team), leaving the other modes really stagnant.

6 hours ago, EIdain said:

FIFA
Similar story to Call of Duty with the lack of evolution here in another annualised franchise. Majority of resources got poured into the money printing mode (Ultimate Team), leaving the other modes really stagnant.

Having the licences is cool and all, but its also super restrictive. 

All I wanted from FIFA was to be able to upgrade stadiums, change kit and sponsor designs and have the teams stats build together better with your created player and team mates, back like it did in FIFA 08. But because its a yearly releases, even the cup draws all ending up being the same in offline career mode after season one. So yeah. I too got bored with FIFA. 

4 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Having the licences is cool and all, but its also super restrictive. 

All I wanted from FIFA was to be able to upgrade stadiums, change kit and sponsor designs and have the teams stats build together better with your created player and team mates, back like it did in FIFA 08. But because its a yearly releases, even the cup draws all ending up being the same in offline career mode after season one. So yeah. I too got bored with FIFA. 

That's a great point. You ever play LMA manager? At least I think it was that. I used to love upgrading my teams stadium in that game.

2 hours ago, EIdain said:

That's a great point. You ever play LMA manager? At least I think it was that. I used to love upgrading my teams stadium in that game.

Yeah I think in early to mid 2000's I had LMA on PS2. Loved how you could create your stadium, but couple that with the football match control of FIFA and you'd be onto a winner. 

• Like 1

Most open world games. Particularly Elder Scrolls, GTA etc where a lot of the appeal is keeping yourself entertained. I just can't like I could as a kid.

Pretty much any competitive multiplayer game, I don't have it in me to try my best all the time, deal with toxicity etc anymore. Fall Guys is the first MP game I've played a decent amount of since Rocket League which I haven't played for a few years now. And I don't think you can really call Fall Guys competitive.

Edited by J917-

Madden and NBA 2K. I used to love both franchises back in the PS2 era and were some of my favorite games on that console. But once the PS3/360 era came around EA and 2K Games just got lazy and greedy which has led to copy and pasting, lack of innovation, microsanctions and other unnecessary garbage. It's gotten only worse during this console era which doesn't bold well for the next one

Grew away from platformers during the 16-bit era, but sometimes find myself coming back. The main genres I had to drop were fighting games and racing games, even though I was really good at them in my youth (keeping an MK2 cabinet locked down for hours with just 50 cents is crazy as a kid).

For me a big one was the Call of Duty franchise. I think you just get to a point in your life where that type of game looses interest. Besides, it's so hard to play online with a bunch of  kids with that level of maturity. 

Another one would be the LEGO games. I used to love playing them. They brought back so many great memories of being a child and playing with LEGO's. But, I just got to the point where I don't find them as fun as they used to be. 

I hate to say this, but another game that I am getting tired of is the Saints Row franchise. I used to love these games but they seem to have gone downhill. I just finished the remastered version of the third one a week or so ago and didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. 

Call of Duty games with historic themes don't get any love from me lately. I feel that WWII has been overdone, which is why I also passed up Battlefield V. When I saw Black Ops (the first one I liked, the second I loved... if there's a BO2 Campaign remaster, I'm buying!), Ghosts, Advanced Warfare, and Infinite Warfare, I wanted more. But when WWII was released, all I could say was "I'm out". I play the CoD games just for the campaign, so Black Ops IIII was another skip for me.

As for the EA sports games... I've never gone there and don't plan to. For starters, I prefer arcade-style sports games over realistic ones, and EA's adding microtransactions doesn't help. Give me NBA Jam or NFL Blitz over their stuff. And I'll take Neo Turf Masters over PGA Tour, which EA has actually bailed on and left to 2K.

11 hours ago, J917- said:

Most open world games. Particularly Elder Scrolls, GTA etc where a lot of the appeal is keeping yourself entertained. I just can't like I could as a kid.

Yeah I get where you're coming from.

I try to explain this to others when talking about this style of game, especially GTA style games. In that when you're a kid, you can spend hours just blowing shit up, jumping off stuff and doing all sorts of crazy capering without even touching the story. But as you get older all that stuff make it feel more like its a digital toy chest, which is why I just stuck to the story missions and what not. 

• Like 1

The Borderlands franchise. Not fully grew out of it yet, but close to.

I've never enjoyed The Pre-Sequel and the limited "farming" on BL3 release and the imo lackluster story didn't help my enjoyment of the game.

That being said; I definitely grew out of most of the humour by now, no matter what game of the franchise.

Recently played the Tiny Tina DLC for Borderlands 2 again, remembering it as one of the best DLCs I've ever played, but the only thing I've enjoyed during the playthrough was barrel-trolling my coop partner.

5 hours ago, JayDeLosDioses said:

The Borderlands franchise. Not fully grew out of it yet, but close to.

I've never enjoyed The Pre-Sequel and the limited "farming" on BL3 release and the imo lackluster story didn't help my enjoyment of the game.

That being said; I definitely grew out of most of the humour by now, no matter what game of the franchise.

Recently played the Tiny Tina DLC for Borderlands 2 again, remembering it as one of the best DLCs I've ever played, but the only thing I've enjoyed during the playthrough was barrel-trolling my coop partner.

I never got all the hype for Borderlands. Now with the first game it had next to no story which surprised me considering the setting. That being said I couldn't put it down because those controls man.... silky smooth. A great control system has gotten me through many a turd game. Then I played the expansions and Madd Moxxi DLC destroyed it for me. I think it was the second time when going for a completion that I had to question why the frig I was doing it, the first being drive a 1000 miles on Mafiia II. 

The second game had a massive story improvement but the gun fire blasted over most of the banter than Handsome Jack was giving. I get that it was done as though Jack was trying to put you off in gun battle, but from a story experience it just meant you missed a tonne of dialog. Hated the prequel, or more truthfully I played it right after B2 and the samey-ness just killed it for me. Never and won't bother with the third. 

13 hours ago, StressEater said:

I hate to say this, but another game that I am getting tired of is the Saints Row franchise. I used to love these games but they seem to have gone downhill. I just finished the remastered version of the third one a week or so ago and didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. 

I think even for fans of spoof comedy it went way to OTT. Such a bizarre transformation for a franchise which was probably intended to go toe to toe with GTA. The actual mechanics and controls were really improved for the third game, but it had one funny moment for me and the rest was just too unfunny and bad to get through. 

FPS (esp. multiplayer) games in general. I was never that big into any Call of Duty or anything but in middle school my friends and I could stay up all night playing Quantum of Solace or Battlefront II. Tried getting into the new Battlefront II a couple months ago and was just over it so quickly haha. I think I definitely have a preference nowadays for single player 3rd person games (Assassin’s Creed, inFamous, etc.)

On 8/22/2020 at 11:06 AM, Cassylvania said:

As somebody who poured a combined 8000 - 9000 hours into Runescape and World of Warcraft, this hits home really hard for me.

What really burnt my ass was when we would fail a raid or a dungeon in WoW. People were so quick to jump on me they would throw a hissy fit like I just got them fired at their real life jobs. These weren't kids, but people in their 30s and 40s who had families and children who maintained a guild in WoW.

That was when I learned I hate a lot of fucking parents out there. Seemed a lot of people I came across in WoW who were parents in real life were pretentious and just selfish. At first I was sort of shocked because I expected teenaged kids and young adults who dwelled in their parents basements to have that attitude.

I quit around the Mists expansion and never looked back since. Invested a lot of money into the game that I'll never get back. Same with Runescape. All the hard work I put into that game was all for naught.