Genres/franchises you grew out of as you got older

DaveMcDamage

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

Same with Runescape. All the hard work I put into that game was all for naught.

Not really man. Shit ends, the fact is for the vast majority of hours you played those game you loved them. 

Gaming is weird. Imagine one day you're an old man, you tell the nippers about the time you got so drunk you got arrested for molesting a squirrel. People laugh because in a messed up way we can all relate to such crazy moments. But you tell those people you played 8000 on game in your youth, and they'll hate your guts, because only gamers can understand such investment. But no matter what, it all ends. 

I can imagine you at the pearly gates when you joss it. You there, giving St. Peter shit about whats the point in living until your 80+ if you just end up dying.

3 minutes ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Not really man. Shit ends, the fact is for the vast majority of hours you played those game you loved them. 

Gaming is weird. Imagine one day you're an old man, you tell the nippers about the time you got so drunk you got arrested for molesting a squirrel. People laugh because in a messed up way we can all relate to such crazy moments. But you tell those people you played 8000 on game in your youth, and they'll hate your guts, because only gamers can understand such investment. But no matter what, it all ends. 

I can imagine you at the pearly gates when you joss it. You there, giving St. Peter shit about whats the point in living until your 80+ if you just end up dying.

Cmon man. I know you're trying to have a sense of humor but molesting a fucking squirrel? What you just said makes Beavis & Butthead and South Park have clean humor in comparison.

Nah. I think the grandchildren in our time will be genetically modified and brought to life through science. They'll live inside of a virtual reality pod, because the real world went to shit and everybody is afraid to go outside.

Back to topic.... I had fun with both games. This was during the mid - late 2000s when MMOs were at their peak. Many of my experiences with dungeon and raids in WoW went smoothly, it was the few bad times I had that chapped my ass. The Dungeon pick up group tool brought in a lot of assholes and people who didn't know how to play the game all that well. Sometimes we'd wipe out on an enemy somebody aggroed, then the entire team quits out and I'm the only guy left looking for a new group. Meanwhile the sparks were flying with the other team members typing angry messages and getting all pissed off.

The game was fun when I first went to college... but over time it just got more and more boring. MMOs don't end, and sadly with both Runescape and WoW, the games had changed to the point where not only did I not recognize them, but the player community changed as well. A new generation came in and I ended up hating a lot of players that came with it.

Not everybody lives to to age of 80 - 90. Those that do should be thankful they have lived a long life, even though in this day and age, seeing people around age 80 and up is fairly common thanks to modern medicine.

• Like 1

Anything Mario. I grew up playing Mario 1. 2, 3, Super Mario NES, Super Mario 64, and then the Mario Party Series. I revisited it on the GameCube in University but other than that I grew out of that “kid” genre. Started wanting more mature games, games with more of a challenge and open concept, though the Mario Series challenges I would say were how my brother and I got good at games growing up. 

6 hours ago, PalaceOfLove706 said:

Anything Mario. I grew up playing Mario 1. 2, 3, Super Mario NES, Super Mario 64, and then the Mario Party Series. I revisited it on the GameCube in University but other than that I grew out of that “kid” genre. Started wanting more mature games, games with more of a challenge and open concept, though the Mario Series challenges I would say were how my brother and I got good at games growing up. 

It's mad isn't it how games like those back then would hold no kid back no matter how tough. I remember Super Ghouls and Ghost and the 1 hit kill completion you had to get through. Got killed at the boss... .ah crap, better restart. If that happened now my flat would be upside down. 

• Like 1

The main one for me was Pokemon. I used to be obsessed with the Pokemon games since Red and blue came out, religiously played every single gen until ORAS and even watched the TV show. But by the time Sun and Moon came out, the characters and art style got really kiddish so I lost interest. I still think Pokemon is cute, but at 28 now I would get really bored with pokemon as it feels immature to me now. 

Another genre is platform games. I used to really like games like crash bandicoot, spyro and sonic, but now I prefer games with more depth and story like RPGs and drama adventure games with solid characters, world and story. 

Metal Gear Solid- used to love this in the PS1 days but slowly lost interest after that. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lava_Yuki said:

The main one for me was Pokemon. I used to be obsessed with the Pokemon games since Red and blue came out, religiously played every single gen until ORAS and even watched the TV show. But by the time Sun and Moon came out, the characters and art style got really kiddish so I lost interest. I still think Pokemon is cute, but at 28 now I would get really bored with pokemon as it feels immature to me now. 

Another genre is platform games. I used to really like games like crash bandicoot, spyro and sonic, but now I prefer games with more depth and story like RPGs and drama adventure games with solid characters, world and story. 

Metal Gear Solid- used to love this in the PS1 days but slowly lost interest after that. 

I was too old for the Pokemon stuff. Our craze was the cabbage patch kids, or micro machines. i think the latter got a racing game many years ago. 

As for MGS. For me it went bat shit mental from MGS and got stupid from there. I can honestly say the games has some awesome gameplay mechanics and such, but it terms of story it was your typical Kojima piss pile. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, DaveMcDamage said:

I was too old for the Pokemon stuff. Our craze was the cabbage patch kids, or micro machines. i think the latter got a racing game many years ago.

Hey there fellow 40+ gamer.  Same deal for me and I also collected both cabbage patch kids and micro machines.

• Like 1

JRPGs/Final Fantasy. There was a time I would buy any JRPG blind and play them. But right now it's just Persona 5 Royal and World of Final Fantasy.

Oh and I'm not sure if I'll even buy the FF7 Remake cause FF shouldn't be a action RPG. (or that's just me)

Platform games. I grew up on Nintendo so I grew up on platformers. ? None really interest me but I did play and finish A Hat in Time a while back.

• 1 month later...

For me mostly:

• Shooter games, which were basically the only type of games I played when I started gaming on my Xbox 360, anything  story related didn't make the cut for me.
  • Pokemon games, I still am a Pokeon fanboy sometimes but the newer generations really don't appeal to me. Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon were okay but after that I couldn't care less about any of the games (plus no trophies in Nintendo consoles, that's why I ditched it as well).

This will probably be odd and backwards but I can't get into RTS/simulation games anymore.

I played the dog piss out of Civ 2, warcraft 2, red alert, the sims, theme park, etc etc when I was a kid.

I can still go back and play those games because of nostalgia but if I try a new one I just can't get into it long enough to learn the mechanics of it.

Not sure why but that's basically the only type of game I can't play anymore ?

• Like 1

• FPS Shooters: Halo & Call of Duty was pretty much my bread & butter for shooters back on the X360, but I've lost a lot of interest in these franchises since then. However, Halo still holds a special place in my heart and do see myself playing the game again someday.
  • Sports: Madden/NBA 2K were both fun while they lasted (stopped at around the year 2013 for both), but once again, I lost interest and wanted to try other genres. It doesn't help that these games aren't as good and/or reputable nowadays.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/3/2021 at 6:27 PM, Thedah said:

Definitely JRPGs. If you look at my trophy list you'll see a bunch of them in my earlier days. Nowadays I play like one or two a year and that's enough.

Yeah I'm with you on that. For one they're usually massive and take a lot out of you by the time you have done it. But the main problem for me is they're aimed at the teen's as its all that teen angst stuff which as you get older is not something you can connect with anymore. 

Also the writing for a chunk of the games is really bad when it comes to telling the story to westerners. 

beat em ups and shoot em ups. used to be all i played back in the day streets of rage, final fight etc. now it just seems like anything resembling these is just hot garbage. also sports games. bad news baseball anyone? that was my game back on the nes but i can't really stand any sports games anymore. 

On 9/25/2021 at 0:18 AM, funboy1246 said:

beat em ups and shoot em ups. used to be all i played back in the day streets of rage, final fight etc. now it just seems like anything resembling these is just hot garbage. also sports games. bad news baseball anyone? that was my game back on the nes but i can't really stand any sports games anymore. 

Gutted we haven't had a Fight Night since MMA took over in popularity.