Gotham Knights (October 21, 2022)

ziggypossum

For me is more no than yes for now. Graphics are a step back compared to Arkham Knight (and Marvel's Avengers is better in graphic terms) and it's disappointing because they brought us Arkham Origins. And the gameplay... i'm not feeling at home (like it was always with the Arkhams) from what i've saw. The exploration, the puzzles and the open world in general is good, but the combat system, for now is not what made Arkhams great (asides the story). And we have the AC Origins level system, so what about the silent takedowns, if an enemy is level 10 and you are level 5? It will be possible anyway or not?

Coop is good, but for now, i repeat, for me is more no than yes.

@Stan Lee no, this game is not a sequel of Arkham Knight. They said this at the beginning.

• Like 1

I was under the impression Rocksteady's, Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League was going to be the gaas / looter game. Either way won't have long to find out and it's not an immediate turn off for me. If it's like Borderlands 3 I'm down for that.
I respect when a studio takes a risk with a game (having a game set in Gotham where you don't play as Batman), I'm certainly more interested in it than the Marvel Avengers game, looks miles better than the beta for that played.

Edited by EIdain

Arkham fanboys are the absolute most toxic purists I've ever encountered. This isn't arkham, full stop. Stop judging it like it was supposed to be. This is WB's own take and isn't related to Rocksteady or Arkham. And that's ok, the world isn't going to end.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nrs1nrs1 said:

Arkham fanboys are the absolute most toxic purists I've ever encountered. This isn't arkham, full stop. Stop judging it like it was supposed to be. This is WB's own take and isn't related to Rocksteady or Arkham. And that's ok, the world isn't going to end.

Mmmm Maybe ... I'm keeping a look out! :)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JavaNext said:

You seem very defensive of this game.

So far they showed changing characters, online co-op, leveling and upgrades by equiment, all elements present in Marvel's Avengers.

Of course they arent the same because of it, but saying the simililarities are "very superficial" is just not true.

I just don't find the comparison to be that strong.

The should switching characters. You don't do that in Avengers outside of the A-day scene and even then the switching is automatic.. After that it is you controlling one character at a time even when on group missions. 

Online co-op. Yeah. Like many games have.

The trailer didn't show leveling but the other Arkham games also had leveling.

Yes, again. The Avengers comparisons look very base to me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, APCGrayLocked said:

For me is more no than yes for now. Graphics are a step back compared to Arkham Knight (and Marvel's Avengers is better in graphic terms) and it's disappointing because they brought us Arkham Origins. And the gameplay... i'm not feeling at home (like it was always with the Arkhams) from what i've saw. The exploration, the puzzles and the open world in general is good, but the combat system, for now is not what made Arkhams great (asides the story). And we have the AC Origins level system, so what about the silent takedowns, if an enemy is level 10 and you are level 5? It will be possible anyway or not?

Coop is good, but for now, i repeat, for me is more no than yes.

@Stan Lee no, this game is not a sequel of Arkham Knight. They said this at the beginning.

Grand, I didn't watch the presentation, just the trailer as posted here

The co-op I'm okay with but I wouldn't say the gameplay really grabbed me. It looked kind of awkward seeing them just snap towards the enemies the way they did. I could also do without the levels and healthbars on the basic enemies.

• Like 1

Pros:

- Bike design is cool.

- Batgirl can wall-run then spin-kick, I'm sold.

- Navigating in the open-world looks fun.

- Combat is fine. I hope I can opt to play stealth, too.

Cons:

- Not a fan of the outfits. Too colorful.

- Most of the time, I don't like to play in co-op since most coop/multiplayer games have grindy trophy list.

Edited by zizimonster

19 hours ago, HellcoreFire said:

So the Talon at the end of the trailer is Batman or a misdirect?

Nah - The Talons are the highly trained and super deadly assassins that the Court of Owls uses. That Talon at the end, is pretty much just one of feasibly hundreds or thousands of them. I'd guess that the big bad organization of this story is going to be the court, which is pretty cool, because they are awesome in my opinion - they are pretty much as old as Gotham itself. I'm assuming all those stasis coffin-like boxes at the end are effectively an army of talons which are activating.

It's also super likely that Bruce isn't dead - it isn't the first time he has faked his own death in the Batman universe so he could go to ground for a different motive. It's pure speculation - but he could have just gone underground to be able to investigate and work against the court without them knowing. The best way to look at the court is as something like the illuminati lore - they are involved in everything and are everywhere - pretty formidable too if you take into account an army of talons to do their bidding if they need something done.

Edited by Crispy_Oglop
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

Nah - The Talons are the highly trained and super deadly assassins that the Court of Owls uses. That Talon at the end, is pretty much just one of feasibly hundreds or thousands of them. I'd guess that the big bad organization of this story is going to be the court, which is pretty cool, because they are awesome in my opinion - they are pretty much as old as Gotham itself. I'm assuming all those stasis coffin-like boxes at the end are effectively an army of talons which are activating.

Yah, I know all that stuff, I was wondering about a potential plot twist.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HellcoreFire said:

Yah, I know all that stuff, I was wondering about a potential plot twist.

Ah, I assumed there, sorry about that. Not sure what it would serve - Bruce faking his own death to freeze himself along with the rest of the talons and then emerge for a jump scare at the end. I guess he could use it to inflitrate them, but he tends to go for higher ups when it comes to organisations like that. The footsoldiers are just for good old fightin' :)

Wow, very surprised how negative people are being towards this. I was pretty shocked at how much the gameplay feature impressed me. After playing a good chunk of the Avengers Beta and enjoying the hell out of it. I can get behind more games like this. It's just the monetary greed behind GaaS that I have a problem with and don't want to support. Like Avenger's it wouldn't be something I get right away. 

And some people are complaining about the graphics? Someone said it looks like Fortnight or worse than Avengers? What the hell were you watching? Seriously, watch the gameplay trailer in 4K...the graphics are gorgeous. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

Ah, I assumed there, sorry about that. Not sure what it would serve - Bruce faking his own death to freeze himself along with the rest of the talons and then emerge for a jump scare at the end. I guess he could use it to inflitrate them, but he tends to go for higher ups when it comes to organisations like that. The footsoldiers are just for good old fightin' :)

Maybe in this universe the court found out Bruce Wayne is Batman and knew he would never join them. But they thought he could still be useful as a Talon so they brainwash him. Which in return gives his students (or the gamer) a formidably skilled foe to fight without them knowing it's him at first. Or they actually killed him and used his DNA to create all these Talons.

After giving it some thought, I'm cautiously optimistic for this game as a big fan of the Arkham series. Here are my thoughts.

The Good:

• A new timeline, giving writers the opportunity to explore new stories and give old villains a new spin
  • Graphics are niiiice, certainly on par with Arkham Knight
  • Playing as Red Hood, Batgirl, Nightwing & Robin so there'll be a good bit of gameplay variety
  • Court of owls! They're so creepy!
  • Bat-bike. Just looks cool. I'm easy to please :)

The Bad:

• Mr freeze's boss fight. His fight in Arkham City was unique; you couldn't use the same moves twice because he adapted, and seeing him become a generic 'hit him until he falls over' fight is just... saddening. Especially when the developers, WB Montreal, were responsible for the great boss fights in Arkham Origins.
  • Different voice actors? I can appreciate that wouldn't be easy to get all the voice actors from the Arkham games back, but the new ones just sound off. Alfred & Batgirl especially.
  • This trailer at the 7-minute mark mentions that boss fights won't be the same for a level 5 or a level 15. I'd personally rather have a linear story with optional co-op than a system that sounds like it's going to encourage constant repetitive mission replaying to grind gear like an MMO, but that's just personal taste.

The Bruh:

• Damage numbers and levels. I know it's not a Batman Arkham game, and change can be good, but there's a reason why people praised that series' combat and other games replicated it - because it's really fucking good. It's hard to know what a game will be like just based on pre-alpha footage, so I'm not judging too hard, but here's to hoping the reception to the change makes WB reconsider this RPG-inspired combat system.
  • Co-op. This could go one of two ways; the kind where it's fun with a friend, or unbearable without one. Lord knows a multiplayer game makes immersive storytelling hard to pull off, so I hope the story is a damned good one that can survive party chat.
  • Like 1

David Haddad, president of Warner Bros Interactive Entertainment,

revealed that the publisher plans to move everything to games as a service

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/warner-bros-follows-ubisofts-example-will-move-everything-to-games-as-a-service/amp/

?

• Like 1

On 8/23/2020 at 5:10 PM, ziggypossum said:

THIS is exactly why I'm not excited about the PlayStation 5 generation.

If they're going to throw in more in-game advertisements (ads shown on the main game menu), more microtransactions in the form of helpers (pay $10 to get a boost to your combat stats), and more shit in the form of chance (NBA 2K20 is a good example) then I'm just going to stick with indie titles and older games.

I know I sound like the old man in his 70s going "Back in my day.... when things were good", that popular cliche, but yeah. This is not why I got into gaming.

Ubisoft and WB are becoming just like EA and Activision.

• Like 2