Gotham Knights (October 21, 2022)

ziggypossum

15 minutes ago, BloodyRutz said:

I don't really care about what platform people play on. But after reading for years on different forums how 30 fps is enough or how the "human eye can't tell the fps difference anyway" (this one was especially hilarious) coming mainly from console players.. Yet now somehow the game targeting 30 fps (which isn't even released!) does not run well and anything under 60 fps is unacceptable. It makes me laugh reading this. And I mean it literally does, not in a hateful way.

AFTER 35 years playng on console at 30 fps, now with PS5 with all games at 60 fps i don't wanna return to play a game at 30, easy.. My choice.. Like people happy RE4 remake is even on PS4 lol to play at 900p and 45 fps like Village WOW... 

• Like 2

Here's the thing about Framerate. There's absolutely no comparison between 30FPS and 60FPS. 60 is king in this case...there's absolutely no debating that. And while 60 to 120 is even better, you start getting diminishing returns, but that's a another conversation. 

But here's the thing, 30FPS is only bad if the game is optimized for 60FPS and you're playing it on a quality that's forcing it to down rev itself to 30FPS. This happens with a lot of modern games right now, most PS5 games are made with 60FPS in mind, and usually turning it to Resolution Mode, is forcing the game to run at a lower speed in order to improve graphic fidelity. This is when you'll start seeing everything in a choppy manner, because your eyes aren't adjusted to literally seeing less frames per second. But what a lot of people don't like to admit...is that if you play in this mode for a little while...your eyes do adjust, you can play at 30FPS again (however turning it back to 60FPS once you get used to 30, will also show you how much better 60 really is). BUT if a game is made and optimized for 30FPS, you're usually not going to notice a difference. 

But I still stand by what I said before...that a 60FPS patch will likely come in the future and you'll be left wondering why it wasn't there before. 

• Like 1

any game with multiple performance modes, I make sure before I start it to check that the 4k/graphics mode is in effect, so the game not having a massively visually downgraded mode only makes it easier for me

the cinematic trailer looks great, I miss these high quality CGI trailers for games, they always hype me up

my Digital Deluxe preorder has been ready for months, can't wait to come back to a DC AAA story game after a 7 year wait since Arkham Knight

Edited by The Investigator

11 hours ago, Viper said:

But here's the thing, 30FPS is only bad if the game is optimized for 60FPS and you're playing it on a quality that's forcing it to down rev itself to 30FPS.

This just isn't true. There's certain genres where framerate doesn't matter much - top down strategy games, turn based games, overhead games like Diablo 2, etc - but in any fast paced game where you're constantly turning around and there's things happening all over the screen, you'll feel the problems of 30fps. Even games with steady, well optimized 30fps are still going to look sluggish and choppy if you're constantly moving the camera around. It doesn't really matter if the game is 'made for 30fps' or not, unless you mean deliberately making the game slow and sluggish so you don't notice the missing frames as much.

I'd also argue most games aren't made for 60fps on PS5. A lot of PS4 games got 60fps patches for PS5, but actual current gen games' performance modes have been extremely lacking. E.g. Dying Light and GOTG barely managing 1080p / 60 (the latter arguably not managing), Forbidden West's performance mode looking terrible with constant flickering for months, etc. 4k (or even 1440p) 60fps is not an unreasonable target if you're actually trying to hit it, but most games this gen are doing the opposite of what you suggest - they build a pretty game that can play at 4k 30fps and then have to scale it down to hit 60.

And yes, your eyes will eventually adjust to 30fps - but not if you're constantly switching between 60fps and 30fps games. On PS4 I'd gotten used to 30fps so it didn't bother me because that was just how games looked, but after having most of my games be 60fps 30 is almost unbearable. And the PS5 isn't like the PS4 where you can play pretty much any game you want without the fear of accidentally playing a game at 60fps. They're everywhere, and so you'll constantly be transitioning between 60fps and the vastly inferior 30fps.

Edited by Darling Baphomet
  • Like 1

On 8/22/2020 at 1:38 PM, ObliviousSenpai said:

Looks similar to what Marvel's Avengers is doing. I'm finding Avengers to be more enjoyable than what some people are making it out to be, but I'll still need to see more about this game before I have any real interest in it. I also hope that Batman is playable because aside from Red Hood, I'm not interested in any of those other characters. 

I enjoyed the game but, from a Trophy Hunting perspective, so many trophies were a huge grind fest and they were so damn buggy, it really put me off the game as a whole because of it. So much so didn't get Guardians which seemed like the same. From what I have read, Batman is dead hence these four being the ones defending Gotham.

On 10/12/2022 at 4:36 AM, Viper said:

Here's the thing about Framerate. There's absolutely no comparison between 30FPS and 60FPS. 60 is king in this case...there's absolutely no debating that. And while 60 to 120 is even better, you start getting diminishing returns, but that's a another conversation. 

But here's the thing, 30FPS is only bad if the game is optimized for 60FPS and you're playing it on a quality that's forcing it to down rev itself to 30FPS. This happens with a lot of modern games right now, most PS5 games are made with 60FPS in mind, and usually turning it to Resolution Mode, is forcing the game to run at a lower speed in order to improve graphic fidelity. This is when you'll start seeing everything in a choppy manner, because your eyes aren't adjusted to literally seeing less frames per second. But what a lot of people don't like to admit...is that if you play in this mode for a little while...your eyes do adjust, you can play at 30FPS again (however turning it back to 60FPS once you get used to 30, will also show you how much better 60 really is). BUT if a game is made and optimized for 30FPS, you're usually not going to notice a difference. 

But I still stand by what I said before...that a 60FPS patch will likely come in the future and you'll be left wondering why it wasn't there before. 

Just play it on the PS5. Problem solved.

On 10/12/2022 at 6:59 PM, Darling Baphomet said:

This just isn't true. There's certain genres where framerate doesn't matter much - top down strategy games, turn based games, overhead games like Diablo 2, etc - but in any fast paced game where you're constantly turning around and there's things happening all over the screen, you'll feel the problems of 30fps. Even games with steady, well optimized 30fps are still going to look sluggish and choppy if you're constantly moving the camera around. It doesn't really matter if the game is 'made for 30fps' or not, unless you mean deliberately making the game slow and sluggish so you don't notice the missing frames as much.

I'd also argue most games aren't made for 60fps on PS5. A lot of PS4 games got 60fps patches for PS5, but actual current gen games' performance modes have been extremely lacking. E.g. Dying Light and GOTG barely managing 1080p / 60 (the latter arguably not managing), Forbidden West's performance mode looking terrible with constant flickering for months, etc. 4k (or even 1440p) 60fps is not an unreasonable target if you're actually trying to hit it, but most games this gen are doing the opposite of what you suggest - they build a pretty game that can play at 4k 30fps and then have to scale it down to hit 60.

And yes, your eyes will eventually adjust to 30fps - but not if you're constantly switching between 60fps and 30fps games. On PS4 I'd gotten used to 30fps so it didn't bother me because that was just how games looked, but after having most of my games be 60fps 30 is almost unbearable. And the PS5 isn't like the PS4 where you can play pretty much any game you want without the fear of accidentally playing a game at 60fps. They're everywhere, and so you'll constantly be transitioning between 60fps and the vastly inferior 30fps.

Go back and play a PS3 game...95% of which ran in 720p/30. You're not going to see that choppiness just because you're used to 60 now, because the games were built around it. You see the choppiness now when you're doing something to drop the frames because most games are, in fact, built on engines that start at 60FPS. 

As for the games you mentioned, I'm playing Dying Light 2 now and it runs perfectly fine at 60FPS in Performance mode. But turn it to Resolution mode and 30FPS is hard to look at. I played Guardians of the Galaxy at 1080/60 and that game never gave me any performance issues. And I remember people talking about the flickering in Forbidden West...I had it at launch and played on Performance mode and the game ran perfectly for me, so I never saw what other people were complaining about. Frankly every native PS5 game I've played so far has been flawless in performance mode. 

I'm not saying Gotham Knights will definitely run great at 30FPS...I haven't played it. Nor am I even condoning the lack of 60FPS. I'm just saying, from experience, that whenever I play a game now that was built on 30 frames, you usually don't see issues of lost frames until there was something there to lose. It'll be interesting if my prediction comes true and the game gets a 60FPS patch in the future, THEN turn it down and see how 30 looks. 

26 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Just play it on the PS5. Problem solved.

That's what people are blowing up about. The PS4 version was cancelled to focus more on the performance of current gen consoles, and the PS5 version still runs at 30FPS. 

Edited by Viper
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Viper said:

That's what people are blowing up about. The PS4 version was cancelled to focus more on the performance of current gen consoles, and the PS5 version still runs at 30FPS. 

I haven’t watched preview footage of this game so I didn’t know about this until just now. 

Having any game run at 30 FPS on the PS5 is inexcusable. Unfortunately a lot of devs feel fit to fix problems long after they’ve been reported by the gaming audience. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

I haven’t watched preview footage of this game so I didn’t know about this until just now. 

Having any game run at 30 FPS on the PS5 is inexcusable. Unfortunately a lot of devs feel fit to fix problems long after they’ve been reported by the gaming audience. 

you seem to know so much about programming, why don't you start making games?

you shouldn't worry about 60fps. You cant afford a ps5.

The game looks okay, nothing fancy. But itll collect dust on my shelf unless someone wants to 4 way co op it start to end

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Infected Elite said:

you seem to know so much about programming, why don't you start making games?

you shouldn't worry about 60fps. You cant afford a ps5.

The game looks okay, nothing fancy. But itll collect dust on my shelf unless someone wants to 4 way co op it start to end

Right. Have you seen the economy lately?

I know a lot of people panned Borderlands 3. This new game looks tempting. But as usual, best wait for the reviews and Metacritic before you buy.

55 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Right. Have you seen the economy lately?

I know a lot of people panned Borderlands 3. This new game looks tempting. But as usual, best wait for the reviews and Metacritic before you buy.

thought you dont buy games based off what reviewers state? you use your own judgment. 

my financial situation is fine. not my fault yours sucks 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Infected Elite said:

thought you dont buy games based off what reviewers state? you use your own judgment. 

my financial situation is fine. not my fault yours sucks 

You don’t know shit about me. Not like you care, you’re just trolling for rep points.

3 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

You don’t know shit about me. Not like you care, you’re just trolling for rep points.

i left for a month and a half and came back to the same old crap here. 

That being said im not fiending for rep points. i dont care if people like me or hate me. Im here for gaming.

I know you hate what you cant afford.  You also hate Sony yet continue to purchase their products. 

Regardless, my point stands and ill end it at this:

if people like me, theyll see the nice side of me and positive vibe. Nothing I say is harsh. What I do say is the truth. If people have a problem with that, they need to realize that's on them. That's not on me.

Anyways, game doesnt look the best or worst, but if i get a group, we will smash it

• Like 1

Was cautiously optimistic but if it's indeed true that the game won't run at 60 fps then I'll have to wait. That would be quite unexcusable considering how capable the current hardware is as there's also many examples of open world games that look amazing visually while being 4k 60fps. I use to think it didn't make much of a difference but since becoming the standard on consoles, it's safe to say I'm never going back as it's quite painful to endure. 

Edited by BrandedBerserk

20 hours ago, Viper said:

Go back and play a PS3 game...95% of which ran in 720p/30. You're not going to see that choppiness just because you're used to 60 now, because the games were built around it. You see the choppiness now when you're doing something to drop the frames because most games are, in fact, built on engines that start at 60FPS. 

No, I see the choppiness because if you're rapidly moving your camera it's not as smooth at 30fps as it is at 60fps. It's not dropping frames, it's that 30fps is fundamentally less smooth than 60fps.

This argument has the same energy as "the human eye can't see more than 30 frames per second."

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

No, I see the choppiness because if you're rapidly moving your camera it's not as smooth at 30fps as it is at 60fps. It's not dropping frames, it's that 30fps is fundamentally less smooth than 60fps.

This argument has the same energy as "the human eye can't see more than 30 frames per second."

First off, I'm not arguing with you...not everything on the internet needs to be an argument just because we disagree. Secondly I think we're defining choppiness differently. Less smooth and choppy aren't the same thing to me. Obviously 30 frames isn't as smooth as 60, but frames being "choppy" is it's own issue entirely.

50 minutes ago, Viper said:

First off, I'm not arguing with you...not everything on the internet needs to be an argument just because we disagree. Secondly I think we're defining choppiness differently. Less smooth and choppy aren't the same thing to me. Obviously 30 frames isn't as smooth as 60, but frames being "choppy" is it's own issue entirely.

I could be wrong, but it sounds to me like you're talking about frame pacing, which can lead to this "choppiness" that you mention. Like, I get what you're saying. 30 FPS isn't ideal at the best of times, but at the very least it's possible to have a consistent experience at that level. But as soon as you throw frame pacing issues into the mix then it can seem way worse, but it isn't because the game is running at 30 FPS, it's because of the frame pacing issues. Frame pacing issues can occur on games that run at 60 and above as well, it isn't limited to games that run at 30 FPS.

• Like 1

30 or 60 fps, as long as they are properly V-Sync-ed, should not produce any stutter and should have a 100% consistent camera movement either way, the only difference being the speed, not the consistency, if a game has stutters, those are because of the game code, not the framerate (assuming the game is not dropping frames and can maintain 30 or 60 at all times), there's pleny examples of games with bad framerate caps like Bloodborne, most Unreal Engine games and others, most games that are locked at 30fps are fine