Gotham Knights (October 21, 2022)

ziggypossum

8 hours ago, Darling Baphomet said:

No, I see the choppiness because if you're rapidly moving your camera it's not as smooth at 30fps as it is at 60fps. It's not dropping frames, it's that 30fps is fundamentally less smooth than 60fps.

This argument has the same energy as "the human eye can't see more than 30 frames per second."

accurate. Its slower and after playing 60fps for awhile and going to 30fps, it seems slow motion for a bit. Its crazy. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Let me put it this way: it doesn't matter if a game runs at a consistent 5 fps or an inconsistent 5 fps, it's still going to look terrible. Rapid motion in games requires a high FPS to render that movement - otherwise there'll be noticeable 'gaps' in what you're seeing, regardless of how consistent the framerate is. A slide show with good frame pacing is still a slide show.

the point is not how it looks to you, the point is that the stutter is not a result of 30fps targets that 60fps+ magically fixes, Unreal Engine games have stutters especially more on PC an any framerate, that is a problem independent of framerate targets when those targets are met, if a game runs at 30fps, full VSync, not dropping frames, motion blur adjusted to 30fps and all else done right, there is no stutter and it is perfectly playable, if you like it or not, that is irrelevant, the game is factually in a fully playable state

• Like 1

They really dropped the ball with this one. Essentially confirmed no 60 fps/performance mode at this point. So close to launch and I’m sure tons of people are canceling their preorders. Idk about you all but this might be a no go from me.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, The Investigator said:

the point is not how it looks to you, the point is that the stutter is not a result of 30fps targets that 60fps+ magically fixes, Unreal Engine games have stutters especially more on PC an any framerate, that is a problem independent of framerate targets when those targets are met, if a game runs at 30fps, full VSync, not dropping frames, motion blur adjusted to 30fps and all else done right, there is no stutter and it is perfectly playable, if you like it or not, that is irrelevant, the game is factually in a fully playable state

No, the stutter resulting of 30 fps being too slow to capture rapid movement is indeed a result of 30 fps.

A game doesn't even have to run at 30fps to be "factually in a fully playable state". You can technically play games at 15fps. Whether you do or not is a questionof having standards.

Interesting. Still eager to play it. Whenever it's is released and dispatched to me. They only took my money today, on the tracking page they haven't even processed the order to packing stage yet. Looks like the step they're currently on before marked as dispatched.

Edit game not coming on release date... awful amazon. 

Tried to cancel the order but they won't let me.

You can buy the game from them today to arrive today. Not sure what they are playing at.

Edited by RSmark84

I've played it a little, the story started out with a bang and I can't wait to see how it develops, playing around with Batgirl is awesome and positively distracting

the game looks good, detailed character models, ray tracing here and there, interior designs are a highlight

the batcycle drives great

Edited by The Investigator
  • Like 3

Game finally dispatched at 30 mins past mid night. Still not out for delivery yet. 

I kind of want to reject delivery, but amazon T&C state upto 7 working days for a refund, and that's if the driver actually marks as unsuccessful delivery... but knowing them they'll knock and run.

Game jut come through the door(letterbox). So couldn't reject the delivery. Still it's arrived a day late. Installed 72% so see what the fuss is about.

Edited by RSmark84

Played it for like 1.5 hours, game is boring as all hell. Knew it was going to be bad when the game starts with a 15 minute cutscene. Took what made the Arkham games fun which was the free flowing/fast paced combat and completely butchered it with a more grounded combat style that's not as fun to do . Not surprising as I had this expectation already going in, bought it anyway just to have something to play on the PS5 and give me an excuse to turn the thing on. Plays more like the newer Spider-Man games except with the gameplay not being nearly as enjoyable or fluid as Spider-Man. 

Everybody bitching about framerate; it holds 30fps very steady with the Day 1 patch. I'm not noticing any stuttering or lag at all. Game looks quite good and plays well all things considered in my opinion. 60fps would not make a game like this any better when the game itself is not that good at its core. 

For the love of god, I hope God of War is great. I think I'd lose whatever little faith I have left in modern gaming if it wasn't. 

From what i have see the framerate is the least of this game problem.

1)A half baked crafting system that is not needed at all. 

2) The centralised camera behind the Batcycle is like watching a green screen move!! there no sense of movement.

3) An empty sandbox world that has only two interested lore related collectibles, at least in Arkham Knight there was a explanation for the lack of NPC.

Probably the intention of Warner Bros was a game similar to Marvel's Avengers but after saw that Avengers was a disappointment financially they scrapped it and we ended with a game like that.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2022 at 7:13 PM, ASMODAIOS344 said:

3) An empty sandbox world that has only two interested lore related collectibles, at least in Arkham Knight there was a explanation for the lack of NPC.

There are plenty of civilian NPC's in the game, they actually become quite annoying when you're standing still on the street and you're getting yelled at by the NPC's same 3 dialogue options that continually loop. 

Not loads of NPC's but if you had a city overrun with psychopathic criminals, corrupt cops, politicians running around with Eyes Wide Shut masks on and men in spandex flying around the landscape, I don't think you'd be hanging out on the street at night either. 

• Like 2

Played a bit so far, as Nightwing, and I like it for the most part. I wish the cycle was faster, as it takes a while to go around the map. The characters look great, though Batgirl's voice actor is going to get annoying. Their mouths don't sync quite right, and Batman's voice is WTF? While Michael Antonakos is great in AC Odyssey, his voicing of Batman in the challenge simulator is appalling. I like the different combat mechanics, though it's going to take a while to get used to the difference from the Arkham games. I really hope to have a coop partner to play the rest of this game with, but who knows. 

9 hours ago, ArmoredSnowman said:

Played a bit so far, as Nightwing, and I like it for the most part. I wish the cycle was faster, as it takes a while to go around the map. 

The Batcycle is painfully slow, it may a crude way to keep performance more stable while riding it. 

Each character has a traversal ability that you unlock later, also is a bit slow but at least you can skip over much of the map over the rooftops instead of down on the roads, Batgirl's is probably the best one. The game does have fast travel which is an absolute must to unlock those as soon as possible to save time. Once you have both of these things, I found I didn't use the Batcycle anymore after that. It's just too slow, at least the traversal abilities give you the illusion you're moving faster even though I'm fairly certain they move at nearly identical speeds as the Batcycle does. 

The whole game would benefit from being faster paced really. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mega-tallica said:

The Batcycle is painfully slow, it may a crude way to keep performance more stable while riding it. 

Each character has a traversal ability that you unlock later, also is a bit slow but at least you can skip over much of the map over the rooftops instead of down on the roads, Batgirl's is probably the best one. The game does have fast travel which is an absolute must to unlock those as soon as possible to save time. Once you have both of these things, I found I didn't use the Batcycle anymore after that. It's just too slow, at least the traversal abilities give you the illusion you're moving faster even though I'm fairly certain they move at nearly identical speeds as the Batcycle does. 

The whole game would benefit from being faster paced really. 

The slow transversal was one of the things that made be dislike Avengers. Thor/Iron Man should be going fast as can be, yet you're in pace with the likes of Black Widow. I really hope WB will increase speeds in an update.

On 25/10/2022 at 5:28 AM, mega-tallica said:

There are plenty of civilian NPC's in the game, they actually become quite annoying when you're standing still on the street and you're getting yelled at by the NPC's same 3 dialogue options that continually loop. 

Not loads of NPC's but if you had a city overrun with psychopathic criminals, corrupt cops, politicians running around with Eyes Wide Shut masks on and men in spandex flying around the landscape, I don't think you'd be hanging out on the street at night either. 

Nah that is everyday in Gotham for you, if you want a break you can take the bus and go to nearby Metropolis, where everything is sunshine and raibows and aliens work as news reporters?.