Gotham Knights (October 21, 2022)

ziggypossum

5 minutes ago, ScarecrowsFate said:

So glad I didn't get my hopes up. I had my suspicions they were going this way.

Insomniac's Spider-Man series will just have to serve as a suitable substitute for my Arkham cravings.

Well said, and I agree. Even if Miles is a bland Generation Z character.

4 minutes ago, ScarecrowsFate said:

I don't particularly care for Peter Parker/Spider-Man as a character, either, but the gameplay looks similar enough to scratch the itch.

Insomniac borrowed a lot from the Arkham games, there's no denying that. But without the Spider-Man character it can't be called the Spider-Man franchise.

Miles is basically like little brother that Peter Parker, aka big brother inspired him to be after his father was killed during the Marvel's Spider-Man story. So now they basically made a game revolving around him, and I guess you just go around the map doing the same sort of things you were doing with Spider-Man.

Edited by Spaz

I was so overly skeptical watching the trailers for both Gotham Knights and Suicide Squad and even though they didn't give anything away in regards to them being GaaS, I still had this feeling that they would be. 

To be honest I don't care, just like the Avengers game, I won't buy it even if it's in the bargain bin for a fiver. It would be nice to have a good Avengers game sure, but what we're getting isn't that. So I won't long for a game that could have been, because it doesn't exist.

Plenty of other stuff to spend my hard earned money on.

I generally tend to start open minded and positive and then go in a direction from there. I like that it's a 1-2 player game and not more - I think 4 players playing around at once would just clutter things up completely and it'll be a mess. It's an interesting direction and i'm interested to see where it'll go.

In other news - I'm hyped for Avengers, I really enjoyed the beta and am looking forward to it. From what I can see, all of the MTX based stuff is cosmetic and can be unlocked through gameplay too so I don't give as much of a crap about that if i'm honest. If i have to pay for characters or levels etc, i'll probably step away. But for right now, it's still a day 1 purchase for me.

Batman Gotham Knights: Our Biggest Questions, Answered

Combat, co-op, playing alone, level gating, and more questions answered.

https://www.ign.com/articles/batman-gotham-knights-co-op-combat-biggest-questions-answered

- Is this a game-as-service?

Fleur Marty: "This is very much not designed as a game-as-service. There is an ability tree, which is different for each of the characters, and then there's gear that you craft - and so choices that you're going to be making - but that does not mean that this is a game-as-service.

- What does co-op offer above single player? Can two players play co-op with the same character?

Patrick Redding: "Because the characters are so distinct from each other, there's a bit of asymmetry, a bit of the complimentary skill set and ability set that actually makes teaming up kind of awesome if you happen to have different characters.

"Now, if you happen to have two Batgirls, you can also do that. Obviously, the potential of having different Batgirl builds, and how they look different and play differently is really cool too."

- Is this a fully open world? Will areas be blocked off or level-gated?

Patrick Redding: "It is one open world city, right from the start. And no, there's no level gating whatsoever."

- What do enemy levels mean to the player, then?

Patrick Redding: "It's true that, as you are getting more powerful in your progression, you're gonna see a sliding scale in terms of not just the level of the enemies, but even some of the types of enemies that you're going to be coming up against. But it's not a grind, it's not a situation where you'll say, 'Oh, God, I have to go grind this type of mission in order to level up to this, and then I can get this.'

"It's really that, when you encounter open-world crime activities (and other activities that involve the AI), you're going to see a range, right? You might see guys that are a little bit weaker than you, and guys that are a little bit stronger than you. And how you approach each of those situations, it presents you with some choices that you're going to have to make. Like, 'Is this a situation where I'm going to maybe swap out a piece of equipment, because I think I'm going to handle it better that way.? Do I want to take a more stealthy approach?' All of those are options that are available to the player and, and the level of your enemy is just one factor in deciding that."

Read the article for more Q & A.

• Like 4

Building a world without Batman: A first look at Gotham Knights

WB Games Montréal talks gameplay and story details of its new superheroic open-world action RPG

1. Four heroes, four combat styles, four separate XP progression systems

2. An evolving open world with a living, breathing ecosystem

3. Reinvented villains, old, new and ancient 

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/09/04/building-a-world-without-batman-a-first-look-at-gotham-knights/

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...