cant seem to find an answer so thought i would ask here.(3DS related)

RJP_X

i have an original 3DS that i have owned since late 2012, it hasn't gotten a great deal of use over the years but have been using it as of the past couple of months since i've halted trophy hunting.

concerning the circle pad, i was wondering how normal this is. when i move it it kind of sounds like a loose plastic, maybe a spring, and kinda sounds like something rolls whenever i move it. this seems more noticeable when i am laying back using it while holding it over head. when i am sitting while eyeing down at it it seems noise free at that point.

there are no other noticeable concerns with it, seems to have flexible movement, no drifting, ect. 

was just wondering how durable these control sticks are, and if this is something i shouldn't be nervous about. as i have been worrying my head over it. 

i wouldn't want to get another model, hoping this will hold up for years to come as there is a library i haven't even got much into that i would love to. besides the fact i believe new ones are no longer in production, i would kind of hope during the holidays that they are still around just in case but that seems doubtful. i recently got a switch as a late birthday present, and have nothing for that yet as i'm waiting for sales. so really don't see a point in getting a 'new' 2ds/3ds as the switch can play the exclusives and i have a lot of the stuff from over the years on other systems for VC. 

2 hours ago, Mike13858 said:

My first 3DS that I got on release actually ended up having the circle pad completely break off after only owning it for around 3 and a half years and I ended up having to get a new one. I don't really know how common this is though.

i just hope new ones will be around at least around the holidays. i don't trust used consoles/hand helds really. 

cant really afford much for games, let alone a replacement console. have had a switch for around a few weeks and as i've mentioned i have yet to even get games for it lol. i kinda been alright atm replaying older games as i have tons of those over the years for many consoles. 

i do want to delve more into the 3DS however, as i got it in the middle of trophy obsession so didn't have much interest in it. so the main two systems i want to buy more games for is that and the switch. i have gotten a couple of 3DS games since picking it back up, yo-kai watch on clearance for $5, i had such a great time with that game. i wish i could find more for that low. recently picked up tales of the abyss as well, loved that game in the PS2 days and have missed it over the years playing and getting platinum's for tons of other tales of games over the years. really wish the DQ 7 & 8 remakes would have a sale. they were my favorite of the entire series back in the day.

but yeah it kind of sounds like a spring or something that kind of rattles, i hope its not a bad thing. i really don't. 

Definitely doesn't sound normal. The circle pad shouldn't make any kind of noise at all. I have a launch model 3DS but used it only for about 2 years, then upgraded to a 3DS XL and been using that since so I don't know how long mine would have hold up. My 3DS XL has been in nearly daily use for 7 years now and the circle pad doesn't make any noise and everything works like when it was new (well, maybe the battery doesn't hold charge quite as long as when new). 

If your console works regardless of the noise, you can probably continue to use it normally. Any device's life comes to an end at some point and I wouldn't worry about it that much. Remember there are over 75 million 3DS units sold around the world - you can probably find one to replace a broken one and used consoles can be as good as new.

12 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

Definitely doesn't sound normal. The circle pad shouldn't make any kind of noise at all. I have a launch model 3DS but used it only for about 2 years, then upgraded to a 3DS XL and been using that since so I don't know how long mine would have hold up. My 3DS XL has been in nearly daily use for 7 years now and the circle pad doesn't make any noise and everything works like when it was new (well, maybe the battery doesn't hold charge quite as long as when new). 

If your console works regardless of the noise, you can probably continue to use it normally. Any device's life comes to an end at some point and I wouldn't worry about it that much. Remember there are over 75 million 3DS units sold around the world - you can probably find one to replace a broken one and used consoles can be as good as new.

provided a video. i'm not use to recording obviously but this should give people an idea. cant find anything on this.

My 2DS XL that I just got last year sometimes makes this sound, sometimes it doesn't. Seems to come and go. I think it might have something to do with the the black plastic cover underneath it (which is there to keep dust out). Personally I wouldn't really worry about if there aren't any other issues, I've had plenty of 3DS systems (I own 5) make weird creaks, squeaks and other noises but they've always operated fine. Even on Nintendo's own website, they claim some noise from the circle pad is within the quality specifications.

I've had the rubber on the circle pad fall off on my launch model 3DS, and it's happened twice now on my original 3DS XL. They can definitely still be used without the rubber, but it doesn't feel great, and I've just super-glued them back on whenever they have fallen off. Seems to be a pretty common issues with all models of the 3DS unfortunately. The circle pads in general also feel a little "loose" on my original 3DS and XL compared to my newer models, but they still work fine, it's probably just due to how much use they've gotten. Other than that, I think they're pretty durable. Unless you're going hardcore on it during Smash Bros or something (this is what caused the rubber to fall off mine), I doubt it would just break off completely.

On 8/27/2020 at 5:01 AM, SuperSmexy500 said:

My 2DS XL that I just got last year sometimes makes this sound, sometimes it doesn't. Seems to come and go. I think it might have something to do with the the black plastic cover underneath it (which is there to keep dust out). Personally I wouldn't really worry about if there aren't any other issues, I've had plenty of 3DS systems (I own 5) make weird creaks, squeaks and other noises but they've always operated fine. Even on Nintendo's own website, they claim some noise from the circle pad is within the quality specifications.

I've had the rubber on the circle pad fall off on my launch model 3DS, and it's happened twice now on my original 3DS XL. They can definitely still be used without the rubber, but it doesn't feel great, and I've just super-glued them back on whenever they have fallen off. Seems to be a pretty common issues with all models of the 3DS unfortunately. The circle pads in general also feel a little "loose" on my original 3DS and XL compared to my newer models, but they still work fine, it's probably just due to how much use they've gotten. Other than that, I think they're pretty durable. Unless you're going hardcore on it during Smash Bros or something (this is what caused the rubber to fall off mine), I doubt it would just break off completely.

i should just @ you whenever i have a device concern lol. also considering how we both get anxiety about our devices.

did you see the video i posted on reddit btw? i got some comments about the type of sound could be from a loose film, i guess that there is two inside the circle pad. the one you see where the circle pad rotates on, and another one under that somewhere. one person said it shouldn't be a problem, unless it gets stuck. that person said they have the issue as well.

i'm probably going to consider a replacement in the future, i'm hoping the new 2DS's are available around the holidays so i can request one as a gift. i just hope mine holds out, honestly it also hasn't seen a grand amount of use over the near 8 years that i have had it for. more recently i have been using it more than i have in the past.

12 minutes ago, RJP_X said:

i should just @ you whenever i have a device concern lol. also considering how we both get anxiety about our devices.

did you see the video i posted on reddit btw? i got some comments about the type of sound could be from a loose film, i guess that there is two inside the circle pad. the one you see where the circle pad rotates on, and another one under that somewhere. one person said it shouldn't be a problem, unless it gets stuck. that person said they have the issue as well.

i'm probably going to consider a replacement in the future, i'm hoping the new 2DS's are available around the holidays so i can request one as a gift. i just hope mine holds out, honestly it also hasn't seen a grand amount of use over the near 8 years that i have had it for. more recently i have been using it more than i have in the past.

Can't promise I'll have advice or an answer for everything, but feel free to, lol.

Yeah, it does sound like it's probably the film. As I said, I have the same thing happen with my 2DS XL sometimes, but the problem seems to come and go, not sure why.

I know new 3/2DS consoles are starting to get harder to come by, but I think Nintendo is still producing them (don't quote me on that though). I've seen some deals on brand new 2DS XL systems recently for about $100. I'm sure your 3DS will probably be fine. My launch model is still fine, and it hasn't gotten a ton of use either, but it still works fine aside from the battery life not being quite as good as it used to be. Nintendo consoles (aside from the Switch) are pretty durable. I've personally never had a Nintendo console die on me, and I've had most of their consoles since the N64/GBC. Still have 15-20 year old Nintendo consoles that are still working just fine. I still vaguely remember this story of some mountain climbers, having reached near the peak of the mountain they were climbing, found that the only electronic thing they had they withstood the attitude and was still in working order, was their DS.

4 hours ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

Can't promise I'll have advice or an answer for everything, but feel free to, lol.

Yeah, it does sound like it's probably the film. As I said, I have the same thing happen with my 2DS XL sometimes, but the problem seems to come and go, not sure why.

I know new 3/2DS consoles are starting to get harder to come by, but I think Nintendo is still producing them (don't quote me on that though). I've seen some deals on brand new 2DS XL systems recently for about $100. I'm sure your 3DS will probably be fine. My launch model is still fine, and it hasn't gotten a ton of use either, but it still works fine aside from the battery life not being quite as good as it used to be. Nintendo consoles (aside from the Switch) are pretty durable. I've personally never had a Nintendo console die on me, and I've had most of their consoles since the N64/GBC. Still have 15-20 year old Nintendo consoles that are still working just fine. I still vaguely remember this story of some mountain climbers, having reached near the peak of the mountain they were climbing, found that the only electronic thing they had they withstood the attitude and was still in working order, was their DS.

@SuperSmexy500

thank you very much for easing my concerns.

yeah the new 2DS's are starting to become hard to come by. they are sold out in stores, and people are price jacking them like they have been doing with everything else. they are still coming in on the walmart online store, but sell out quick. i think nintendo has the most difficulty manufacturing consoles it seems like, it was pretty difficult to get a hold of a switch.

got one a few weeks ago. i didn't know the switch itself how durability issues, i thought it was the joycon's that did. damn, before starting to get into it i bought a cheap 3rd party controller to use instead of the joycon's, so i can save them for when necessary. only been playing in handheld mode as well, haven't tried docked yet. kinda a pain using a controller in handheld with the switch, i kinda have it leaning against a pillow on top of me while holding the controller behind me lol. its pretty neat though, only have one game for it so far. 1st party games are quite pricey and there's quite a good amount of them i want. probably going to get 3rd party games in the mean time when they go on sale and 1st party ones here and there, while waiting for others to become nintendo selects lol.

there are lots of stories like that, i think there was one about a gameboy surviving a bombing or explosion or something like that lol. 

concerning the 3DS's/2DS's, how often does drift occur on those? i always get nervous with hand helds because i am not even going to try to replace parts on them lol. not sure if any of yours got it at some point. 

i have also been taking the wii back out as well, i actually do have a concern about it because i have been wanting to replay some more games on it and GCN as well. been actually mostly replaying games as of late. well, whenever i start it the disc drive is very noisy. not sure if its always been like that or if its because my OCD has worsened over the years but, like once turned on or entering and then exiting something on the menu it makes a lot of ruckus, however when actually playing games it quiets down. i recently did a 100% super mario galaxy run on it and there weren't issues, wanted to 100% that one since i did for 2 years ago. just not sure if its capable of destroying discs, my younger siblings sound quieter compared to what i described. 

11 hours ago, RJP_X said:

@SuperSmexy500

thank you very much for easing my concerns.

yeah the new 2DS's are starting to become hard to come by. they are sold out in stores, and people are price jacking them like they have been doing with everything else. they are still coming in on the walmart online store, but sell out quick. i think nintendo has the most difficulty manufacturing consoles it seems like, it was pretty difficult to get a hold of a switch.

got one a few weeks ago. i didn't know the switch itself how durability issues, i thought it was the joycon's that did. damn, before starting to get into it i bought a cheap 3rd party controller to use instead of the joycon's, so i can save them for when necessary. only been playing in handheld mode as well, haven't tried docked yet. kinda a pain using a controller in handheld with the switch, i kinda have it leaning against a pillow on top of me while holding the controller behind me lol. its pretty neat though, only have one game for it so far. 1st party games are quite pricey and there's quite a good amount of them i want. probably going to get 3rd party games in the mean time when they go on sale and 1st party ones here and there, while waiting for others to become nintendo selects lol.

there are lots of stories like that, i think there was one about a gameboy surviving a bombing or explosion or something like that lol. 

concerning the 3DS's/2DS's, how often does drift occur on those? i always get nervous with hand helds because i am not even going to try to replace parts on them lol. not sure if any of yours got it at some point. 

i have also been taking the wii back out as well, i actually do have a concern about it because i have been wanting to replay some more games on it and GCN as well. been actually mostly replaying games as of late. well, whenever i start it the disc drive is very noisy. not sure if its always been like that or if its because my OCD has worsened over the years but, like once turned on or entering and then exiting something on the menu it makes a lot of ruckus, however when actually playing games it quiets down. i recently did a 100% super mario galaxy run on it and there weren't issues, wanted to 100% that one since i did for 2 years ago. just not sure if its capable of destroying discs, my younger siblings sound quieter compared to what i described. 

No worries, glad I could help a little.

Hopefully you should still be able to get new 2DS later this year if you still want one. You'd probably be able to find factory sealed ones on ebay if no where else, but I imagine the prices would be jacked up.

The Switch isn't super fragile, but compared to previous consoles, it's not something you ever really want to drop because the screen can scratch or crack fairly easily due to it being glass (it's mostly plastic with the older handhelds, but of course those can be damaged too if dropped). The dock does tend to scratch the Switch too, it's very minor and I'm sure a lot of people don't ever really notice. Mine are just on the black bezels and you can only really see them if you tilt the console under light, and I've always been pretty careful removing and putting the Switch in the dock. The joycons are definitely the biggest issue though, they all inevitably get stick drift unfortunately due to a design flaw that Nintendo seem reluctant to fix. It's really disappointing when Nintendo products used to be so reliable.

Yeah, I think there was a gameboy that was caught up in an explosion in the Gulf war that still worked afterwards, despite the plastic being really badly charred and damaged.

I've haven't ever had stick drift on mine, and it's not something I ever really hear about too often. I'm sure it can happen, but it's probably not very common. I hear about Vitas getting stick drift a lot more often. I think the most common issues with the 3DS tend to be with the battery and the ribbon cable to the top screen getting loose/out of place.

Older consoles tend to have pretty noisy drives in my experience, both my PS2 and Wii are pretty noisy. I know some Wii games mostly just get entirely read and stored in the RAM once you start them, then it doesn't really read the disc too often during play, which might be why it's a bit quieter when actually playing something. The Wii U is the same way for a lot of games, you'll often hear it reading like crazy when loading the first level in a game or something, then you only really just hear the disc spinning after that.

I haven't heard of Wiis destroying discs before, have heard of some refusing to eject discs before though (don't think it's too common). I've only ever really seen Xbox 360s destroy discs before personally. Just make sure you don't move the Wii while a disc is in it, and especially while it's switched on, and you should be fine. I actually had an incident once where my cat knocked over my Wii while I was in the middle of playing Brawl years ago, but nothing happened to the disc, no scratches or anything, and thankfully the Wii was and is still fine to this day.