Have you ever played a game you wish had been made by another company?

DaveMcDamage

Hi all,

If the thread title is confusing then allow your uncle McDamage to explain. 

Basically it could be an indie game which had so much potential but was held back by financial restrictions and there is a AAA dev team which could have done wonders with it. Stuff like that. 

For me its the Yakuza series, Now don't get me wrong, I had some serious fun with the games but at the same time its like the devs had no balls to tell a story for a grown up audience, or it may have been restrictions in Japan which made it feel weak, I dunno. 

But with all those stories, side quests, mini games etc, I often look back to how awesome Bully was from Rockstar Games. There was a game where it was on a much smaller scale map than when compared to GTA. No need for super fast cars etc, and had all that groovy side stuff which was done so well. I also feel like Western devs get to show more balls when it comes to story telling and not hold back. Take how Sleeping Dogs was set in China but told by Western writers to suit all audiences. Nor did it have to hold back. 

I also felt the main characters were badly written in how certain characters had never killed anyone, even when they shot, stabbed, slashed, thrown people out of windows etc etc. Whilst I appreciate what RGG gave us, I just think a Western team could have done so much more with it. 

Any of you chaps or chapettes feel similar about other games.  

Marvel spider-man which i wish it was made by Santa Monica.... i hate the transition between gameplay and cutscenes which is a black screen with a loading icon. Santa Monica did a great job on God of War 2018, playing the whole game in one take is astonishing (unless you died of course).

On 25/08/2020 at 9:14 PM, Lava_Yuki said:

I never actually thought about this, I wish nintendo games like fire emblem, xenoblade and bravely default were not nintendo 

Same. I'm sure it's been ragged on to death, but I feel like the Pokemon games just don't get the quality they deserve in more recent entries. They seem to just produce the bare minimum because they know it'll sell like hot cakes anyway, and fair enough, but I've always wished there could be a Pokemon game that takes my breathe away in the same way first-party triple AAA Sony games do. In terms of their story, graphics, and gameplay.

There's plenty of Nintendo franchises that feel like they're being held back now more than ever. I've honestly been super disappointed with a lot of the Switch's titles, not all, but a lot. Maybe I just view older Nintendo games through rose tinted googles, but it feels like there's been something missing from a lot of first party Nintendo games this gen (Wii U and Switch, if you count that. Even the Wii era wasn't great).

Xenoblade could honestly be a lot better on, dare I say it, better hardware. It's not even just an issue of the Switch being "weak", but how little space they have to work with given the 32gb (max) cartridge sizes, and I doubt they'd want to release anything too big digitally even given the Switch's pitiful internal storage. I hope to see a Xenogears remake someday, and I hope to see it on the same scale as FF7 remake, not the Mana remakes (not to diss on them, but let's face it, Square Enix clearly put most of their money into FF7), which I don't think will be possible on the Switch.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

I'm sure it's been ragged on to death, but I feel like the Pokemon games just don't get the quality they deserve in more recent entries. They seem to just produce the bare minimum because they know it'll sell like hot cakes anyway

This was my first thought too. A Pokemon game, made by a studio prepared to push the envelope further than Game Freak are willing to.

I'd also like the see the Star Wars license taken from EA and handed out on a game by game basis. Respawn did a great job with Fall Order, but I really feel like EA have squandered that deal. I'd quite like another expansive space opera a la Mass Effect, but not made by Bioware. I think any Sony first party studio would do a better job, similar to Insomniac and Spider-Man. Or maybe a studio more familiar with RPG's and branching narratives like CDPR.

On 27/08/2020 at 3:50 PM, SuperSmexy500 said:

Same. I'm sure it's been ragged on to death, but I feel like the Pokemon games just don't get the quality they deserve in more recent entries. They seem to just produce the bare minimum because they know it'll sell like hot cakes anyway, and fair enough, but I've always wished there could be a Pokemon game that takes my breathe away in the same way first-party triple AAA Sony games do. In terms of their story, graphics, and gameplay.

There's plenty of Nintendo franchises that feel like they're being held back now more than ever. I've honestly been super disappointed with a lot of the Switch's titles, not all, but a lot. Maybe I just view older Nintendo games through rose tinted googles, but it feels like there's been something missing from a lot of first party Nintendo games this gen (Wii U and Switch, if you count that. Even the Wii era wasn't great).

Xenoblade could honestly be a lot better on, dare I say it, better hardware. It's not even just an issue of the Switch being "weak", but how little space they have to work with given the 32gb (max) cartridge sizes, and I doubt they'd want to release anything too big digitally even given the Switch's pitiful internal storage. I hope to see a Xenogears remake someday, and I hope to see it on the same scale as FF7 remake, not the Mana remakes (not to diss on them, but let's face it, Square Enix clearly put most of their money into FF7), which I don't think will be possible on the Switch.

I agree, I feel like nintendo can't reach the same level of quality as sony, especially when it comes to RPGs which demand good quality in terms of story, graphics and characters. I found the pokemon games dropped in quality since ORAS, Sun and moon were a flop imo. I think the PS4 would be better able to handle games like Xenoblade than the switch can, and also Zelda as well.  

4 hours ago, StressEater said:

There are also a couple of Xbox games I wouldn't mind playing on the PlayStation. Like, Lost Odyssey and Fable. Lost Odyssey was done very well so I would not want to change the developers. However, if Fable was done by Blizzard, now that would have been interesting. 

Fable II was a really great game. The first game was very basic and the third game was... well.... it wasn't very good. It lost the charm that Fable II had. The Peter Bolloxcube is one of those people that gets over excited about his own ideas but when revealed they happen to be very basic. 

I agree with Lost Odyssey should have been for the Playstation. Then again, when it was released Microsoft probably noticed that a lot of people went from PS2 to 360 and thought they may be able to grab and keep the JRPG fans. The 360 was the greatest gaming era I have ever experienced, but to this day I do not understand the reason to make Lost Odyssey an exclusive. It just couldn't sell the number which a JRPG needs by going exclusive, and as awesome as the game was for JRPG fans, its not what you would consider a console selling game. 

I tell you what I wish would happen. A GTAIV remake but using the engine and mechanics of GTAV. It would never happen but wow would that be amazing. I must have played GTAV none-stop for about 4 years on release, but oh my did that map end up boring me. But going back to the Niko story and Liberty City but with the much better visuals and mechanics of GTAV would be amazing. 

On 8/27/2020 at 9:50 AM, SuperSmexy500 said:

Would be nice to see square do a remake of xenogears and actually release a finished game this time around, but I have a feeling they're not interested