It's time

spidey0115

K guys n gals. After about 13 yrs I've decided it's time to give up smoking. I have 21 smokes left before I'm out. I'm going to smoke them because at $5.50 a pack it's to much money to waste to throw them out. I'll be posting my progress on here as a hope to help me quit. Any thoughts, opinions, or suggestions are more than welcome. Wish me luck everyone.

• Like 2

I wish you all the best, fella.

Having never smoked, or even wanted to for that matter, I can't even begin to understand how difficult it's going to be for you.

If I were you, I'd put the money you would have been spending on ciggies somewhere and treat yourself occasionally to keep yourself motivated. Just be glad that you don't live in the UK as the average pack is around £6.50 (~$10), although you'd be saving more :P

dude, I wish I could do it cold turkey. but I told the wife that in 3 months, one way or another that I will have it down to 3 cigg a day. :unsure: . sad I know, but it ain't easy. I'm @ a pack every 24hrs. that's 20 cigg a day @ $9.89 a pack. won't go no further with the calculations. I think I would cry if I did. but started when I was about 26, so it's been about 10 years.

good luck. and I hope U got the strength to accomplish Ur goal. I've tried cold turkey and failed miserably on a number of occasions so I'm gonna go the tortoise way. slowly but surely.

First and foremost: Best of luck to you and your attempt to quit smoking. Being a smoker, I can empathize with you.

For those who have never smoked, although your support is naturally appreciated, you can never know just how terribly difficult a task this really is. Far too many give shallow or unfounded "advice" when they have no idea, first-hand, what quitting smoking entails. For some, the act of quitting is easier than it is for others, but it is by no means "easy"...determined or not.

If has been proven many times over that smoking is as addictive as heroine and cocaine, yet the non-smoker/anti-smoker is always quick to say "Just quit...look at the money you'll save" or some other such thing. That sounds great...until the nicotine (or lack thereof) starts a physical ambush upon your body.

Do not think for a moment (non-smokers), that quitting smoking is as easy as it appears by the OP's post stating they are attempting to do such...it is and can be a very long, tough habit/addiciton to kick.

Best of luck Spidey!

Messed up dreams??

Yeah. I denno why, but if you're a long time smoker and then plan to stop and act on it, for a while dreams get extremely intense, disturbing and bizarre. (that had nothing to do with drinking water, sorry lol) It ain't all bad, but just look out for it. Look out for sleeping problems too, like not being able to fall asleep forever. But I'm not trying to be discouraging or anything. Just a bit of a head's up. I tried quitting and it didn't work, but these are things I experienced. But I'm telling you, when the craving gets too bad, drinking cold water can do wonders, at least for a bit. I just didn't have enough willpower. Hopefully you do. :)

Smoked my last butt on Feb 26, 2010. That's after smoking for 20+ years. I swore that when they raised the cigarette price $.60 a pack to pay for other people's insurance that I would never buy a pack again. Well, that was in 2009. March of that year I bought 100 cartons of smokes (50 for me & 50 for the wife) 2 days before the new tax went into effect, smoked thru them and haven't had one since. However, I am still addicted to Nicotine. I've simply switched to the Nicotine lozenges. I still get my hook, and the federal government don't get one penny...:D

First and foremost: Best of luck to you and your attempt to quit smoking. Being a smoker, I can empathize with you.

For those who have never smoked, although your support is naturally appreciated, you can never know just how terribly difficult a task this really is. Far too many give shallow or unfounded "advice" when they have no idea, first-hand, what quitting smoking entails. For some, the act of quitting is easier than it is for others, but it is by no means "easy"...determined or not.

If has been proven many times over that smoking is as addictive as heroine and cocaine, yet the non-smoker/anti-smoker is always quick to say "Just quit...look at the money you'll save" or some other such thing. That sounds great...until the nicotine (or lack thereof) starts a physical ambush upon your body.

Do not think for a moment (non-smokers), that quitting smoking is as easy as it appears by the OP's post stating they are attempting to do such...it is and can be a very long, tough habit/addiciton to kick.

Best of luck Spidey!

This is not true and not even close to truth. Heroine addiction can kill you, and you cant just quiet you need to be hospitalized in a specialized section, because you will be killed if you dont get your daily dosis. The treatment is a long M*** F*** process which extremly hard physically and psychology, not everyone can get through it.

Good luck with that bro its definitly possible you just need will-power, not to say its easy its indeed hard, but you can do it :)

This is not true and not even close to truth. Heroine addiction can kill you, and you cant just quiet you need to be hospitalized in a specialized section, because you will be killed if you dont get your daily dosis. The treatment is a long M*** F*** process which extremly hard physically and psychology, not everyone can get through it.

Good luck with that bro its definitly possible you just need will-power, not to say its easy its indeed hard, but you can do it :)

Sorry man but Wade is right. Yes heroin and coke is deadlier than nicotine. But he is just talking about the addictiveness of the drug. nicotine is just as addictive as the drugs mentioned above.

Actually the way you measure addictiveness is the relapse rate. In that manner, cigarettes are just as addictive as heroin, but more addictive than coke. The reason why some people die going cold turkey with narc's is that with extended overuse, the body becomes weaker and can't handle the stresses that the withdraw puts on it (accelerated heart-rate, etc.).

Sorry man but Wade is right. Yes heroin and coke is deadlier than nicotine. But he is just talking about the addictiveness of the drug. nicotine is just as addictive as the drugs mentioned above.

Ah sorry I was comparing the withrawal symptoms. You right if you compare those drugs Nicotine and Heroin, alot of studies showed that the Nicotine is as addictive than heroin and maybe more addictive than cocaine.

This is not true and not even close to truth.

Really?

According to the American Heart Association, nicotine addiction has historically been one of the hardest addictions to break, while the pharmacological and behavioral characteristics that determine tobacco addiction are similar to those determining addiction to heroin and cocaine.

Source: American Heart Asociation

Nicotine activates the same reward pathways in the brain that other drugs of abuse such as cocaine or amphetamines do as a direct resulting from its highly addictive nature and chemical process.

Source: American Medical Association

Research has shown how nicotine acts on the brain to produce a number of effects due to its highly addictive nature. This reaction is similar to that seen with other drugs of abuse such as heroin and cocaine.

Source: National Institute on Drug abuse

Tobacco is as addictive as heroin (as a mood & behavior altering agent).

Nicotine is:

1000 X more potent than alcohol

10-100 X more potent than barbiturates

5-10 X more potent than cocaine or morphine

Source: Association of Heart & Lung Research

So I would assume for you to make such a bold statement disputing otherwise, one would have to conclude that you are a highly trained medical professional whose knowledge is much more advanced than the entire medical profession, or are involved in the advanced study of human biology and endocrine systems; or possibly even a molecular scientist, correct?

I for one will anxiously be waiting to hear of your advanced medical expertise that allows you to dispute those professionals and researchers who have, through medical science and research, proven the highly addictive nature of nicotine as compared to other drugs.

Heroine addiction can kill you, and you cant just quiet you need to be hospitalized in a specialized section, because you will be killed if you dont get your daily dosis.

Again...really? Maybe you have never heard of the word:Cancer.

Last time I checked, a hell of a lot of people die from cancer as it relates to smoking or other tobacco use due to the addictive nature of nicotine.

Would you like examples of the millions of former heroin addicts who quit "Cold Turkey" without hospitalization and...gasp....lived to tell about it? Although doing so isn't the best course of action, except for in extreme circumstances (when the addiction has led to further medical related issues due to the abuse and addiction of heroin); those who quit heroin without hospitalization usually do so successfully.

Here again, if you have advanced medical and/or scientific degrees that can refute such, I would love to hear about it.

Really?

According to the American Heart Association, nicotine addiction has historically been one of the hardest addictions to break, while the pharmacological and behavioral characteristics that determine tobacco addiction are similar to those determining addiction to heroin and cocaine.

Source: American Heart Asociation

Nicotine activates the same reward pathways in the brain that other drugs of abuse such as cocaine or amphetamines do as a direct resulting from its highly addictive nature and chemical process.

Source: American Medical Association

Research has shown how nicotine acts on the brain to produce a number of effects due to its highly addictive nature. This reaction is similar to that seen with other drugs of abuse such as heroin and cocaine.

Source: National Institute on Drug abuse

Tobacco is as addictive as heroin (as a mood & behavior altering agent).

Nicotine is:

1000 X more potent than alcohol

10-100 X more potent than barbiturates

5-10 X more potent than cocaine or morphine

Source: Association of Heart & Lung Research

So I would assume for you to make such a bold statement disputing otherwise, one would have to conclude that you are a highly trained medical professional whose knowledge is much more advanced than the entire medical profession, or are involved in the advanced study of human biology and endocrine systems; or possibly even a molecular scientist, correct?

I for one will anxiously be waiting to hear of your advanced medical expertise that allows you to dispute those professionals and researchers who have, through medical science and research, proven the highly addictive nature of nicotine as compared to other drugs.

Again...really? Maybe you have never heard of the word:Cancer.

Last time I checked, a hell of a lot of people die from cancer as it relates to smoking or other tobacco use due to the addictive nature of nicotine.

Would you like examples of the millions of former heroin addicts who quit "Cold Turkey" without hospitalization and...gasp....lived to tell about it? Although doing so isn't the best course of action, except for in extreme circumstances (when the addiction has led to further medical related issues due to the abuse and addiction of heroin); those who quit heroin without hospitalization usually do so successfully.

Here again, if you have advanced medical and/or scientific degrees that can refute such, I would love to hear about it.

WOW man relax didnt you read my latest post:

Ah sorry I was comparing the withrawal symptoms. You right if you compare those drugs Nicotine and Heroin, alot of studies showed that the Nicotine is as addictive than heroin and maybe more addictive than cocaine.

Nicotine as a molecule or as a drug is as you said very potent like Heroin. I was talking about the withdrawl... I mistoke what you were refering too and thought you comparing the withdrawl. And no you cant compare cancer with Heroin withdrawl its another story I dont want to derail this thread.