"I sold too many copies of GTAV to parents who didn't give a damn"

Death

I'm not surprised at all by this, but it's nice to see that someone cares about games affecting your kids mind instead of the money in your wallet. I believe that there should be a law where a parent who is accompanied by a child with the intent of purchasing an M rated game should not be allowed to purchase the game. Even if they say "Oh it's for my older son" for all they know they don't have any other kids and it'll be for the little 7 year old. Then little Timmy will think it's ok to walk into a school and shoot up the place, but that's ok because he can always restart at a checkpoint or reload a save. Then something like a shooting occurs and the media will all point their fingers at the extremely popular and violent game at the time that mindless fucking parents bought for their little shits because they wanted them to be happy.

"Boo hoo, I don't understand! Timmy was such a nice and quiet little boy! It must have been that very bad Grande Thief Automobile VII that molded my precious wittle boy into a psycho killer! Bad vidja gaim iz bad! Please don't blame meh! It's not my fault that he wouldn't shut up about it! He made me buy it with my own money! I was too busy working overtime at the office so I let Grande Thief Automobile VII be his parents since I'm never around to care for my fucking kids and teach them right from wrong! Plz dun blayme meh, eye durn nurrr. ettz nurt mur furt"

http://kotaku.com/i-sold-too-many-copies-of-gta-v-to-parents-who-didnt-g-1371011511?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

Edited by Deth
  • Like 2

:lol: wow i can see how strongly u feel about this, but as sad as it is i dont see much changing with out consequences to the majority of us that can distinguish between fiction and non fiction. people want the government to intervene but when that happens we become china(no offense)....fact of the matter is that kids will play *quote*violent games*quote*, watch*quote* violent or suggestive movies*quote*, and listen to*quote*explict music*quote* as long as the parents let them with out teaching them what is right and wrong or real and whats not

Edited by xzero4812
  • Like 2

I agree that they shouldn't be sold if they have a younger child with them. If I am grocery shopping with my kids and I wanna buy a 6 pack of beer or something I will get refused because I have a 7 year old with me, even though it would be retarded of them to think I would be buying it for her. The same should apply here. 

• Like 1

I was discussing this very topic last night with a friend who works for GS.

After all of it, I came to the conclusion - Fuck 'em. It's all down to Darwinism at this point.

If they are dumb enough to buy it for a child, they get what they deserve in the end.

• Like 4

I was discussing this very topic last night with a friend who works for GS.

After all of it, I came to the conclusion - Fuck 'em. It's all down to Darwinism at this point.

If they are dumb enough to buy it for a child, they get what they deserve in the end.

tea_zpse4559087.png

Most people are fine after playing these types of games, but it is the parents choice to decide if their kid can handle it. I disagree with the "I believe that there should be a law where a parent who is accompanied by a child with the intent of purchasing an M rated game should not be allowed to purchase the game." because there's now way of knowing if they are lying or not. Also they could always just download it, and you can buy guns and alcohol with kids with you so I do think that law would be taking it too far. It is the same as when people thought that rock music would turn kids into psycho killers and that it should be banned.

Edited by Jproco99
  • Like 2

Ok this is all complete crap. I've been playing gta since I was 8. (yes, its quite a young age) but it doesn't mean my mum was a bad parent. she just knew it wouldn't affect me. I knew that it was a game and that it isn't the real world. im 17 now and sometimes I misjudge how much kids know about the world. But I know for a fact that when I was that age I knew right from wrong and that crime was bad. Im pretty sure most other kids do as well. About 98% of children don't get affected by the games they play, they get affected by the people they hang around with. Plus, its a very rare occasion that someone mimics gta in reality. ive only known it to happen about 5 times

• Like 2

About 98% of children don't get affected by the games they play, they get affected by the people they hang around with. Plus, its a very rare occasion that someone mimics gta in reality. ive only known it to happen about 5 times

- Are you a scientist or did you make up that percentage?

So most kids imitate the "cool" kids. Did the "cool" kids mimic their favorite video games/movies?

- There are tons of other games that have been blamed such as Manhunt, DOOM etc... and by saying 'about 5 times', you're still saying that it happens.

- Are you a scientist or did you make up that percentage?

So most kids imitate the "cool" kids. Did the "cool" kids mimic their favorite video games/movies?

- There are tons of other games that have been blamed such as Manhunt, DOOM etc... and by saying 'about 5 times', you're still saying that it happens.

Unfortunately, that stuff does happen its a way of life, but ive never seen kids go out on a killing spree because they wanted to. Plus, would you rather kids being at home playing a violent game or kids being out doing violent stuff. I know that most kids who play gta aren't the most popular. Plus 98% was an estimate hence the word 'about' Oh and I do physics at a level so technically, I am a scientist

You can edit the title by going to "Edit Post" Then next to the Finish Edit button is a "Go to Full Editor" button, where you can edit title.

On Topic: While I do think it's despicable that 7 year olds are playing GTAV, I can't say that because then I would be a hypocrite.

I was playing TR II at the age of 2 or 3 (Not that I got very far xD ) despite the age restriction, same with Tomb Raider Legend, the new Tomb Raider, and soon the Last of Us. None of these games have affected my personality (unless it's subconscious.)

In the end, kids will play what they want to play. There is nothing people can do to stop that, other than refuse everybody the right to purchase 18+ games, meaning there wouldn't really be much point for an age restriction.

This whole age restriction stuff never works, and is pretty useless.

Most people are fine after playing these types of games, but it is the parents choice to decide if their kid can handle it. I disagree with the "I believe that there should be a law where a parent who is accompanied by a child with the intent of purchasing an M rated game should not be allowed to purchase the game." because there's now way of knowing if they are lying or not. Also they could always just download it, and you can buy guns and alcohol with kids with you so I do think that law would be taking it too far. It is the same as when people thought that rock music would turn kids into psycho killers and that it should be banned.

I agree 100% percent. Not every underage kid that plays GTA is going to be affected by it in a bad way, I played some mature games at an early age and I grew up fine. When I have kids of course I'm going to keep an eye on what they play (mostly because I'll be playing too :P) but if I think my kid can handle a little gore and shooting without turning into a serial killer, I'll let him.

• Like 1

I know this is a strange concept, however, there used to be these places called "Arcades."  For all the youngsters out there, that is where us old fuggers went to play games.  At the time, the first Mortal Kombat was an envelop pusher.  Also, there were no regulations.  You didn't get the guy running the arcade holding kids back from MK.  We all got to rip hearts out and pull heads with spinal columns off torsos, no matter what age.  

I think if a kid finds it ok to mimic in real life what is portrayed through video games, there is something much deeper wrong with the child.  Parents need to start being held responsible for their lack of parenting.  By the way, yes, if you don't notice something seriously wrong with your kid, you are not doing your job as a parent.

• Like 3

I started playing games when I was 2, I'm 23 now and I'm fine.

If a parent buys a child a video game and then they say the child got aggressive until the game was taken away (which I have heard), I would tell them to take that as a forewarning that their sweet widdle cutsey wootise kiddie has some underlying anger issues and maybe to keep an eye on his behaviour.

But of course that would require them to accept responsibility and actually take the time to supervise and parent, but who can be bothered to do that?

In my opinion, people shouldn't have kids if they can't be bothered to look after them and take responsibility.

• Like 1

I'm not surprised at all by this, but it's nice to see that someone cares about games affecting your kids mind instead of the money in your wallet. I believe that there should be a law where a parent who is accompanied by a child with the intent of purchasing an M rated game should not be allowed to purchase the game. Even if they say "Oh it's for my older son" for all they know they don't have any other kids and it'll be for the little 7 year old. Then little Timmy will think it's ok to walk into a school and shoot up the place, but that's ok because he can always restart at a checkpoint or reload a save. Then something like a shooting occurs and the media will all point their fingers at the extremely popular and violent game at the time that mindless fucking parents bought for their little shits because they wanted them to be happy.

"Boo hoo, I don't understand! Timmy was such a nice and quiet little boy! It must have been that very bad Grande Thief Automobile VII that molded my precious wittle boy into a psycho killer! Bad vidja gaim iz bad! Please don't blame meh! It's not my fault that he wouldn't shut up about it! He made me buy it with my own money! I was too busy working overtime at the office so I let Grande Thief Automobile VII be his parents since I'm never around to care for my fucking kids and teach them right from wrong! Plz dun blayme meh, eye durn nurrr. ettz nurt mur furt"

http://kotaku.com/i-sold-too-many-copies-of-gta-v-to-parents-who-didnt-g-1371011511?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

1009920_219778781521122_1004865890_n.jpg

• Like 1

I know this is a strange concept, however, there used to be these places called "Arcades."  For all the youngsters out there, that is where us old fuggers went to play games.  At the time, the first Mortal Kombat was an envelop pusher.  Also, there were no regulations.  You didn't get the guy running the arcade holding kids back from MK.  We all got to rip hearts out and pull heads with spinal columns off torsos, no matter what age.  

I think if a kid finds it ok to mimic in real life what is portrayed through video games, there is something much deeper wrong with the child.  Parents need to start being held responsible for their lack of parenting.  By the way, yes, if you don't notice something seriously wrong with your kid, you are not doing your job as a parent.

Exactly.  I'm not going to tell someone how to parent their kids, but when it comes down to why "kid" did something wrong "oh it's because of them damn games"...WHAT!?  No, it's because you're too wrapped up in your "adult" life to know what's going on in your child's.  It's up to the parents to monitor (notice I didn't say shelter) what their kids are up to.

Unfortunately, that stuff does happen its a way of life, but ive never seen kids go out on a killing spree because they wanted to. Plus, would you rather kids being at home playing a violent game or kids being out doing violent stuff. I know that most kids who play gta aren't the most popular. Plus 98% was an estimate hence the word 'about' Oh and I do physics at a level so technically, I am a scientist

What bizzaro world do you live in where it's uncool to play games?  That's an interesting view of shit.

• Like 4

I started playing games when I was 2, I'm 23 now and I'm fine.

If a parent buys a child a video game and then they say the child got aggressive until the game was taken away (which I have heard), I would tell them to take that as a forewarning that their sweet widdle cutsey wootise kiddie has some underlying anger issues and maybe to keep an eye on his behaviour.

But of course that would require them to accept responsibility and actually take the time to supervise and parent, but who can be bothered to do that?

In my opinion, people shouldn't have kids if they can't be bothered to look after them and take responsibility.

When you were 2. Right. Get a girl, get her pregnant, do some parenting (even if-you-kill-that-hooker-you-can-get-your-money-back style if you want to) and see how your child does at any controller at the age of two. Re-think your statement after that.