Should Share-Play Trophies be considered illegitimate?

LancashireLad87

I haven't been a member of the site for very long so I'm not sure if this question has been answered before but it seems to me it's a Grey area, since a family member or a friend could help you locally with a multiplayer trophy but to actual share-play something for someone is this considered legitimate amongst the site? This is not something I would personally do but I do see a lot of Share-play sessions around here, so I was curious to say the least.

7 minutes ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

I personally don't see the point in earning trophies this way, I like the fact that I earned all mine with effort, time and practice. I wouldn't want to look at my list knowing someone else earned them for me. But then it's all subjective, so i might see this differently to someone else.

I felt the same way until one trophy on my list, which was the final trophy for a game's DLC after I had already earned the platinum and the unlockables for the game on my own, was so difficult that it began to mess with my anxiety disorder while I was trying to earn it. I resorted to SharePlay for that one trophy. It does bother me a bit, but I was able to move on to a new game after my friend helped me with it. I earned 44/45 trophies on my own and I intend to go back to that challenge one day to try to get it by myself.

• Like 1

I would say no because I mean you need it if you plan to get games such as doom 1 and 2 done if you got no one to be your player 2 or you got no money to buy another controller I mean I used it for jack 2 and 3's fast plat on ps4 due to the fact I didn't have a another controller I just needed them to press a single button but yeah I also plan to do it for doom 1 and 2 as well share play is good for things such as that or if you wanted to play a game together with someone. like borderlands or say give someone a try on a game

Edited by KANERKB

I appreciate the information and would like to thank people for their input especially those that explained there reasoning behind it. To answer one response in particular @Phoenixgaming1 Personally, you or anyone else can earn trophies how they wish, the thread was simply a question and an observation. As others have stated this is virtually an impossibility to enforce. I'm proud to have earned all my trophies thus far, since no gamer is perfect it doesn't bother me if I cannot earn a trophy or two as I'm far from a completionist but I will do my best. 

3 hours ago, Kristen Danielle said:

There's no need to be harsh, guys. The person is new and has a valid point, as I didn't feel like I'd truly earned the one trophy I got with SharePlay. Welcome to PSNP, @LancashireLad87! I hope you enjoy your time here and good luck on those platinums!

It's fine, I'm from the North we're thick skinned up here but I appreciate the support. Everyone is different in their views which is great otherwise the world would be bland without any other points of view. I'll do my best but it's going to be difficult for sure!

• Like 1

To the answer the question, the answer will be no. This is because share play has been around since the 80/90's, it's just another way of passing the controller to your friend and asking for their help. I had this a lot as a kid, my friends would call me up and ask me to do a level or 2, then I give the controller back and let them finish the game. Back then we had no save points and had to do it one sitting, so it became common practice to ask a friend for help. I've personally have done it for 2 trophy's and requested share play, only due to the trophy's were affecting my mental health and I asked for help. I know I could of earned them, but at the time it effected my mental health and that's where I draw the line and ask for help. I'm happy with that, as they were only bronze trophy's and it was not worth another mental breakdown. Some things are more important in life, then asking a friend to do a trophy for you.

Also Sony don't have a problem with it as it's been around for decades, they are just smart enough to realise, that they can sell more games, by letting other people try it for an hour and then buy it. I've had someone else ask me to share play and I had no problem helping a fellow gamer out for a trophy or 2, as one day you may need their help. Trust me if someone ask you to play the nes version of TMNT or battletoads, you will be using shareplay for the whole game. This is just my personal opinion on the matter.

3 hours ago, ninjagirl657 said:

To the answer the question, the answer will be no. This is because share play has been around since the 80/90's, it's just another way of passing the controller to your friend and asking for their help. I had this a lot as a kid, my friends would call me up and ask me to do a level or 2, then I give the controller back and let them finish the game. Back then we had no save points and had to do it one sitting, so it became common practice to ask a friend for help. I've personally have done it for 2 trophy's and requested share play, only due to the trophy's were affecting my mental health and I asked for help. I know I could of earned them, but at the time it effected my mental health and that's where I draw the line and ask for help. I'm happy with that, as they were only bronze trophy's and it was not worth another mental breakdown. Some things are more important in life, then asking a friend to do a trophy for you.

Also Sony don't have a problem with it as it's been around for decades, they are just smart enough to realise, that they can sell more games, by letting other people try it for an hour and then buy it. I've had someone else ask me to share play and I had no problem helping a fellow gamer out for a trophy or 2, as one day you may need their help. Trust me if someone ask you to play the nes version of TMNT or battletoads, you will be using shareplay for the whole game. This is just my personal opinion on the matter.

I don't think it's a fair comparison as trophies were not around in the 80/90's therefore nothing was on the line. I played many 'difficult' games growing up but difficulty is very subjective, a game you may excel at others will find challenging and vice versa. Growing up playing games from the age of 5, games were a lot more punishing for lack of a better word than 99% of the games we have today.

Strategy guides didn't help too much but like you said back then you had a few choices you either continued forward on your own (Perseverance), had a friend come round and do it for you or you gave up. As for share-play I don't have an issue with it but it's very abuse-able because you can reset it after every hour! As far as TMNT or Battletoads is concerned, I think it's unfair to make that statement without knowing my gaming history. Not to say I would be able to beat it, but it's like me telling you to play something.

Edited by LancashireLad87

I’m all for it. Also hope the community here will smarten up with new users. Also not sure why someone shared the opinion of banning “boosting” - gaming is a social organization like anything else. Part of the strategy is building up one’s own micro communities to lead to success and find solutions to problems. Anyone opposed is just a part of the moral entrepreneur movement in gaming that tries to produce a strict set of gaming ethics they’re likely hypocrites about anyway. Do what you want.

16 hours ago, LancashireLad87 said:

I don't think it's a fair comparison as trophies were not around in the 80/90's therefore nothing was on the line. I played many 'difficult' games growing up but difficulty is very subjective, a game you may excel at others will find challenging and vice versa. Growing up playing games from the age of 5, games were a lot more punishing for lack of a better word than 99% of the games we have today.

Strategy guides didn't help too much but like you said back then you had a few choices you either continued forward on your own (Perseverance), had a friend come round and do it for you or you gave up. As for share-play I don't have an issue with it but it's very abuse-able because you can reset it after every hour! As far as TMNT or Battletoads is concerned, I think it's unfair to make that statement without knowing my gaming history. Not to say I would be able to beat it, but it's like me telling you to play something.

You asked for people's personal opinion on the matter and then you say my statements are unfair. I agree I don't know your gaming history, but as you asked the question, I was only giving you a logical answer, that share play has been around for years, trophies or not.  I personally have no problems if it's for a couple of trophies, as you said everyone find certain games difficult and vice-versa. I agree with a lot of what you say, but I used the TMNT and battletoads as an example on how hard a game may be and if they had a platinum, some people will use share play to help a fellow gamer. It's just a statement, so don't take it personally as we are just discussing the topic.

I am not questioning your gaming history, as you might be as old as I am. I was just using it as an example, that everybody has different reasons to use share play. I never completed these two games, only games in my whole history that beat me to a pulp as an gamer. But I take no offence from it, if someone mentioned it. I personally don't see the logic how it's unfair to say about It?  I've personally earned all 2,220 of my trophies and proud of that.The 2 I didn't earn, was due to my mental health, their is no shame in asking for help. To me at the time, I had my own reasons for it, same with most people. I am eternally grateful for them for helping me, I've been suicidal and even know I could of done the trophies, I ask for help as I don't want to go back to being suicidal.

We all have a history, but you shouldn't be saying it's unfair, when I am just having a conversation about the topic. I apologize if you took offence, from me mention these horrible games. what would have happen if I mentioned silver surfer, not played it, but I know you die a lot in that game. lol. If you told me to play something, I will give it a shot, as your asking me to try the game. My brother been telling me to play certain games for years, I don't take offence from it, as he is logically asking me to try the game. Same with your statement, you could suggest me to play something and I'll give it a shot, that's not being unfair in anyway.

Now on the subject of abusing the system, I literally had someone ask me a while back to shareplay FFX and do the whole game for them. My answer was a simple no, go and grind the game yourself, they didn't start the game and to me, that is abusing the share play feature. Like I said I have no problems with a couple of trophy's, but I do have a problem with someone who use it for a whole game, so I agree with you on that. Yes people could abuse it, when they could just quit and go on a game that's not difficult or put the time & effort in the game and see how far they get. But then some people may have a reason for asking for help, for me I found it cheeky to ask someone to shareplay the whole game, it's worst then paying someone to plat the whole game.

14 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Nothing is on the line now. Your trophies are yours, others are theirs. Just because a fake competition can be created, doesn't mean anyone suffers "loss."

I'm not saying anyone here would do such a thing but I'm certain there are a small minority of players who will get help from someone and then claim they earned it, especially if it was something incredibly challenging. 

25 minutes ago, ninjagirl657 said:

You asked for people's personal opinion on the matter and then you say my statements are unfair. I agree I don't know your gaming history, but as you asked the question, I was only giving you a logical answer, that share play has been around for years, trophies or not.  I personally have no problems if it's for a couple of trophies, as you said everyone find certain games difficult and vice-versa. I agree with a lot of what you say, but I used the TMNT and battletoads as an example on how hard a game may be and if they had a platinum, some people will use share play to help a fellow gamer. It's just a statement, so don't take it personally as we are just discussing the topic.

I am not questioning your gaming history, as you might be as old as I am. I was just using it as an example, that everybody has different reasons to use share play. I never completed these two games, only games in my whole history that beat me to a pulp as an gamer. But I take no offence from it, if someone mentioned it. I personally don't see the logic how it's unfair to say about It?  I've personally earned all 2,220 of my trophies and proud of that.The 2 I didn't earn, was due to my mental health, their is no shame in asking for help. To me at the time, I had my own reasons for it, same with most people. I am eternally grateful for them for helping me, I've been suicidal and even know I could of done the trophies, I ask for help as I don't want to go back to being suicidal.

We all have a history, but you shouldn't be saying it's unfair, when I am just having a conversation about the topic. I apologize if you took offence, from me mention these horrible games. what would have happen if I mentioned silver surfer, not played it, but I know you die a lot in that game. lol. If you told me to play something, I will give it a shot, as your asking me to try the game. My brother been telling me to play certain games for years, I don't take offence from it, as he is logically asking me to try the game. Same with your statement, you could suggest me to play something and I'll give it a shot, that's not being unfair in anyway.

Now on the subject of abusing the system, I literally had someone ask me a while back to shareplay FFX and do the whole game for them. My answer was a simple no, go and grind the game yourself, they didn't start the game and to me, that is abusing the share play feature. Like I said I have no problems with a couple of trophy's, but I do have a problem with someone who use it for a whole game, so I agree with you on that. Yes people could abuse it, when they could just quit and go on a game that's not difficult or put the time & effort in the game and see how far they get. But then some people may have a reason for asking for help, for me I found it cheeky to ask someone to shareplay the whole game, it's worst then paying someone to plat the whole game.

I'll admit I'm not the best at wording my posts, your opinion is as valid as anyone elses. As stated in my original post I was curious because I saw a lot of game-play sessions varying from co-operative play, boosting and Share-play. I agree with a lot of what you wrote, age isn't really a factor in my view of a gamer's ability we all have games we excel and struggle with. Your right there's no shame factor for asking for help, wow really the whole game, I played FFX when I was younger on the PS2, the trophy list looks pretty time consuming but it's a great game.

I feel like if someone was to share-play the whole thing for them, they're missing out on the experience the game has to offer. People actually pay fro trophies? wow I'm speechless. Another reason to why I made the thread was because generally speaking I prefer to play games that lack a lot of multiplayer stuff, I prefer playing on my own unless it's a game I can play in co-op with a friend. 

Death in any game is a vital step in the learning process, if everyone was perfect we would never make any mistakes and subsequently not learn from them. I hope you never go through the same situation with your health/well-being for a trophy again. :)

• Like 1

I personally won't use shareplay to earn trophies, if it is indeed to hard, i'll leave it open. After all i am just a below average gamer and there's no need to be perfect in a hobby.

That being said, i couldn't care less about how others are getting their trophies, share play, ratalika, whatever.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't see anything wrong with shareplaying to get a certain trophy.

In some way we all cheat by even looking up what to do to get trophies on PSN profiles in the first place or looking up guides to find collectibles or methods in order to achieve them. Why would share playing be an exception to that?I can get behind the whole 'it's not rewarding if you don't do it yourself' but it's nearly impossible in any game to get ALL the trophies without having to look up what the trophies are in the first place.

Compare it to a test in school. You could persuade your classmate to make the test for you, getting a straight A. Or you can look up the answers to the test beforehand and get a straight A. It's both cheating in some way and one isn't better or worse than the other.

Besides, how many games have trophies were you need to beat a certain level on the hardest game mode, and players let others carry them to the win? Isn't that the same principle? And what do most players do in a game when they get stuck? Putting the game down for a year or so, hoping to return after that year with the solution on your own? No. People will look up the solution for it so they can move on.

Edited by its_ArchroniX
  • Like 1

On 8/27/2020 at 5:04 AM, PalaceOfLove706 said:

I’m all for it. Also hope the community here will smarten up with new users. Also not sure why someone shared the opinion of banning “boosting” - gaming is a social organization like anything else. Part of the strategy is building up one’s own micro communities to lead to success and find solutions to problems. Anyone opposed is just a part of the moral entrepreneur movement in gaming that tries to produce a strict set of gaming ethics they’re likely hypocrites about anyway. Do what you want.

The gaming ethics in trophy hunting were tossed out the window back in 2008 - 2009. Same with Xbox Achievements.

People on this website still think boosting is outright cheating, so I don't know who the fuck to trust anymore. Boosting instead of say, using a completed save file to autopop trophies, or using a debug menu to pop a bunch of trophies in Jak II because nobody in their right mind wants to play that old game legit.

If there was a line, there really wasn't, because nobody outside of trophy hunting really gives a fuck about the trophies anyway. There are still people who Share Play Brutality 101 in Batman: Arkham Knight and Titanfall 2's Become the Master. You don't have the skill, then you don't really deserve the trophy. I drew a line right there.

• Like 1

I don't think any trophy should be legit unless it's:

1. Streamed live

2: Camera pointing at your face

3: Camera pointed at your controller

4: Fingerprint test to make sure your identity matches your PSN name

5: Drug test (in case of gaming steroids) 

6: You can't get any trophy that's too hard for me because otherwise it's not fair

7: You can't get the trophies too fast. Minimum 4 minutes between each one or you're sus

8: You can only play when I can play so it's fair

9: It has to be verified by at least 5 reputable sources that it's at least a 4/10 and a minimum of 15 hours long

10: No one else can be in a thirty-foot radius of you (in case of remote cheating)

Obv the share play sessions on this site is a trap. Everyone that signed up for them is on a list and they will be promptly deleted from the leaderboards right before the PS5 is released, so all the new players looking for a leaderboard site knows we are the best.

I choose to earn all trophies on my own, because if someone else were to do one for me, it would feel worthless... as if it wasn't truly mine.

Anyway, my answer to this is "not really". Enforcing it would be impractical, and it's not my problem. It's not that different than having a friend play locally on your account to earn the trophy for you. If earning trophies by Share Play bothers you, KIM that you don't have to do it.

Edited by RadiantFlamberge

On 2020-10-01 at 9:42 PM, Spaz said:

The gaming ethics in trophy hunting were tossed out the window back in 2008 - 2009. Same with Xbox Achievements.

People on this website still think boosting is outright cheating, so I don't know who the fuck to trust anymore. Boosting instead of say, using a completed save file to autopop trophies, or using a debug menu to pop a bunch of trophies in Jak II because nobody in their right mind wants to play that old game legit.

If there was a line, there really wasn't, because nobody outside of trophy hunting really gives a fuck about the trophies anyway. There are still people who Share Play Brutality 101 in Batman: Arkham Knight and Titanfall 2's Become the Master. You don't have the skill, then you don't really deserve the trophy. I drew a line right there.

Not sure what the issue is with boosting...again, finding the right community is part of the hunt. I played jak and dexter legit and will play if I go back to ps3 Jak 2 and 3 legit. Debug mode crosses my threshold, just like save auto pop (which is banned on this site). Share play is a bit different than handing the controller to someone in your immediate network, but I honestly don’t think it’s that bad. Think how many plats people have because they ran into the right player online who helped them. Is that cheating, playing with a teammate who’s elite and better than you? Share play is slightly different but on the same level in my opinion.