Microsoft has a "AAAA" studio

Xyleh

If 'AAA' wasn't enough, move over for the 'AAAA' studios like Microsoft's The Initiative.

Microsoft revealed it had founded The Initiative in Santa Monica as part of its E3 2018 conference, where it announced a slew of acquisitions. The studio is being led by Darrell Gallagher, who previously worked at Rockstar Games, Crystal Dynamics and later Activision, overseeing the development of games like GTA IV, Tomb Raider and Destiny 2. At the time, Spencer touted Gallagher's abilities, calling him a "visionary storyteller."

Source: https://www.ign.com/articles/initiative-microsoft-xbox-series-x-exclusive-bungie-crystal-dynamics

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, MichMasteR said:

I am tired of the rumors, just fucking tell us if it's Perfect Dark or not...

As someone unlucky enough to play Perfect Dark Zero, I hope nobody touches that franchise ever again. It's one of the few memories I have of my N64.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, thefourfoldroot said:

it might have just been a typo

Nah, they're serious.

Even worse, imagine thinking so highly of yourself that you believe your studio will dwarf the accomplishments of games like GTA IV and Destiny 2.

• Like 2

So apparently The Initiative was announced in 2018 when they bought up a bunch of other studios..and they haven't been heard of since then? I'm all for them touting their studios and showing a focus on more 1st party games, but their recent announcements leave alot to be desired IMO. There's a bunch of AAA games that don't even feel like they reach that mark, so for them to describe it as a AAAA studio with 0 releases or anything credible doesn't give me hope.

But, we will see. I hope they are a great studio and put out some quality games. I'm all for that friendly competition, it helps keep things growing and evolving and helps push along the improvement of the quality of games

• Like 1

Quadruple-A BS aside, I can't wait for the reveal of their first game. They got so many talented people with impressive track record already (God of War producer, Red Dead Redemption writer, etc). And they are definitely provided with a colossal budget. All they need is a great idea for a game.

Not having any big shake-ups in the middle of the development where everyone just leaves the project (like Crackdown 3 and Halo Infinite did) would also help.

Edited by Alderriz
  • Like 1