how to ruin my favorite game for over 10 years in half an hour.

Wait so like... if a person hasn't done level 2 ever before, they can't follow the host until they do level 2 once themselves? Is that how it works? Or just they don't progress their own story if they do level 2. 

Cause I can totally see why it follows only 1 persons progress cause it's their "world" I guess. But how are Lite players supposed to follow a host if they haven't even played all the dungeons they don't even have unlocked? I thought that was the point of following a host? I'm so confused. xD 

20 minutes ago, Sword said:

Wait so like... if a person hasn't done level 2 ever before, they can't follow the host until they do level 2 once themselves? Is that how it works? Or just they don't progress their own story if they do level 2. 

Cause I can totally see why it follows only 1 persons progress cause it's their "world" I guess. But how are Lite players supposed to follow a host if they haven't even played all the dungeons they don't even have unlocked? I thought that was the point of following a host? I'm so confused. xD 

I think what happens is exactly that. Only host get's to chose dungeon number two after party does dungeon number one but the other people can still join in on playing dungeon number 2. Otherwise the lite version wouldn't make any sense.

One question: How was story progress for multiple characters handled during the local co-op times with the Gamecube original?

Was the whole story progress shared for all participants or was only the host getting story progression?  

==> If even the progress was not shared while doing local co-op on the original, so: Why does anyone wonder that the remaster has the same flaw?

Funny: Only 1 German site wrote about those "Multiplayer issues" on 26. of August (Quote from a Deepl translation):

Let's get this out of the way first: In Final Remastered Edition of Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles there is no local co-op. You can still create up to 8 caravanners for your village, but you are the only one who can play as such. What does this mean for the progress of the story? Let's remove the restrictions next.

Only the "moderator" makes progress in the story in the new multiplayer mode of Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles. Whether this captures the miasma, dispels the myrrh at the end of a dungeon, sends or receives emails, or adds an entry to your diary (and thus gains critical "memory" from the experience), it all depends on the host. This also means that parties do not exist outside of parties. You will have to travel alone if you want to see events at the roadside or run errands in the city. Additionally, the party must reform after each dungeon run. Good times . . . .

Also the multiplayer is region locked and no local coop option is present: 

After Square Enix conceded a few weeks ago that the "Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Remastered Edition" does not include a local multiplayer mode, the official website of the new edition now states that multiplayer friends have to live with another limitation. According to this, it will not be possible to play in online multiplayer mode with users from all over the world.

European players stay among themselves
Instead, the online multiplayer of the "Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Remastered Edition" was given a region lock. In practice, this means that players from Asia, Europe and North America will remain among themselves. "In online multiplayer, a player is only connected to other players who are located in the respective region of the player's software," it says.

Also this review is interesting because this game has loading screens for simple things: https://www.ign.com/articles/final-fantasy-crystal-chronicles-remastered-edition-review

My guess: All design decisions which have a negative impact on the multiplayer mode are due to the fact that the game supports cross-play for 4 platforms (Switch, PS4, iOS, Android).

Edited by Geridian
More information
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Ilzaki said:

Yea, I was excited when it was announced.  Then they said no couch co-op.  And now this, this is just dumb.  It's like the Monster Hunter World multiplayer, on steroids.

I couldn't have said it better myself. It sounds like Monster Hunter World 2.0. Some of the most infuriating bs co-op I've ever dealt with in my life. If small indie dev teams, sometimes consisting of like one or two people can seamlessly put together a system of connecting online games, I don't understand how bigger teams, with years of experience, can't seem to figure it out. And end up with some of the most epic clusterfucks. In the year 2020.... When we've been playing online for how many years now??? ?

• Like 2

Fall Guys is a team of 40 people and they made that multi-player work for millions of people.

Yet Squeenix can't even make a 4 player co op game work properly?

They definitely rushed this out and half assed out. Trophy list really shows they didn't care either. They just slapped something together. 

I pre-ordered this and now I want a refund.

• Like 1

Ps3 and PS4 has always had this issue, to some degree, with multiple account progress. Resi 7 was completely ruined in exactly the same way - player 2 doesn’t get currency and isn’t able to upgrade weapons. There is a workaround where player 1 spends their cash on weapon then passes them to player two and gets them back before logging off, but it means you progresses at half the speed as on the 360 version the wife and I played. Sounds the same here. I can only presume it’s a system level issue. Only games I’ve played on PS that get it right have player progress saved on an external server.

Edited by thefourfoldroot

4 hours ago, Sword said:

the first 3 level are open to everyone, and my husband could follow me to dungeon number 4 which is in the first area before the first miasma stream, BUT he made no drop progress, so he wasn't progressing towards year #2 and soon couldnt follow me through the miasma stream (which is single player only anyways) to go to other levels after level 4 bc in later years different level were available for me and him. we both got artefacts, but he got no letters to evolve the family members as well and since map and hometown is alway single player we can not profit from each others jobs. in later years he would need to progress as a host himself to keep up with me crafting better weapons in later cities he wouldn't be able to access without his own progress that we just can't achieve together.

NO FUN AT ALL.

3 hours ago, Geridian said:

One question: How was story progress for multiple characters handled during the local co-op times with the Gamecube original?

Was the whole story progress shared for all participants or was only the host getting story progression?  

==> If even the progress was not shared while doing local co-op on the original, so: Why does anyone wonder that the remaster has the same flaw?

in the original I never played single player, bc it wasn't made for SP. the game worked better with 2-3 ppl and it was perfectly wonderful. all story and drop progress was always shared, you could walk the world map and all towns, shops together and explore like in other MPs, diablo or something. the monster drops were rare and we had to decide which person would get which item to made the best for the team out of that including blueprints for weapons or anything. back than it was ahead of it's time for a console title and a really good, fun and team-based MP.

now the game is on top very easy bc everyone has own loot and money, and for everyone drop the same loot like in single player so it's more for everyone.

Edited by AiManiaTrophyhuntres
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, thefourfoldroot said:

Ps3 and PS4 has always had this issue, to some degree, with multiple account progress. Resi 7 was completely ruined in exactly the same way - player 2 doesn’t get currency and isn’t able to upgrade weapons. There is a workaround where player 1 spends their cash on weapon then passes them to player two and gets them back before logging off, but it means you progresses at half the speed as on the 360 version the wife and I played. Sounds the same here. I can only presume it’s a system level issue. Only games I’ve played on PS that get it right have player progress saved on an external server.

And you just referenced the other dev that people have mentioned already in the comments, in regards to not knowing what the hell they are doing when it comes to online. Remember, they were the devs behind Monster Hunter World. Maybe they should have asked the developers that worked on Dead Rising 2 how to properly set up co op games, cause even though it wasnt one of Capcoms better selling games, at least their invite system wasnt a complete piece of crap ? Now, if only someone over at SE could get that memo ?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AiManiaTrophyhuntres said:

yeah.

how to ruin my favorite game for over 10 years in half an hour.

Just destroy the possibility to play with friends.

This "multiplayer" is BULLSHIT.

You cant join properly, only the host makes progress, to progress with all your friends (we play as duo or with 4 ppl together usually, all have fullversion of the game) you have to play with each person as a host once per level. otherwise the ppl without progress wont be able to follow to the next level. 4 times level 1, 4 times level 2 aso. BULLSHIT.

The best part of the game is in pieces. We were SO DAMN looking forwards to experience this again, and then they took all the good features from the game.

fuck this 2020. Everything that happens this year goes south.

I told you to stay away from it! 

But seriously, sorry to hear that. I know that, when they announced this, you were super gung ho about it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sword said:

@AiManiaTrophyhuntres Is it true that you can't drop designs for your friends when playing multiplayer dungeons? I read that on reddit earlier today (haven't had the chance to play the game yet, so wasn't sure if true or not). If that's true then man... yet another thing added to my list of disappointments. 

yes thats true. no blueprints or anything. you can only drop food an phoenixdawns to them

4 hours ago, Badkat18 said:

And you just referenced the other dev that people have mentioned already in the comments, in regards to not knowing what the hell they are doing when it comes to online. Remember, they were the devs behind Monster Hunter World. Maybe they should have asked the developers that worked on Dead Rising 2 how to properly set up co op games, cause even though it wasnt one of Capcoms better selling games, at least their invite system wasnt a complete piece of crap 1f602.png Now, if only someone over at SE could get that memo 1f606.png

Online shouldn’t be an issue and works on most game’s, If devs like Capcom can’t get that right then it’s on them yes (they did it fine on Xbox) I was referencing local coop play. Ps3 didn’t allow two separate accounts to be logged in, when I heard this had been resolved for PS4 I was really happy, but still there seems to be an issue with most game’s and trophies/progress. Not just from certain devs. The Lego games are another example. Games like LBP got around it server side although that was still messy.

Edited by thefourfoldroot