Can't connect to Killzone Mercenary Online!

IntenseFATE98

Hi, I could not connect to online at all on day of release, whatever game I joined I was instantly kicked from. I did some reading and came across this post from the GG Dev, Ginrai: 
http://community.killzone.com/t5/Killzone-Mercenary-PS-Vita/Advanced-Router-Guidelines-for-the-Killzone-Mercenary-Beta-on-PS/td-p/1409818

For me, it was the DMZ issue. Since setting that up (which took about 20 minutes since it was confusing), the only disconnecting I have is the same as Sixones. If I suspend and resume the game on the vita, I have to close the game app and relaunch it in order to connect to online games.

Hope that helps!

• Like 1

Hi, I could not connect to online at all on day of release, whatever game I joined I was instantly kicked from. I did some reading and came across this post from the GG Dev, Ginrai: http://community.killzone.com/t5/Killzone-Mercenary-PS-Vita/Advanced-Router-Guidelines-for-the-Killzone-Mercenary-Beta-on-PS/td-p/1409818

For me, it was the DMZ issue. Since setting that up (which took about 20 minutes since it was confusing), the only disconnecting I have is the same as Sixones. If I suspend and resume the game on the vita, I have to close the game app and relaunch it in order to connect to online games.

Hope that helps!

Thank you so much for the link. I couldnt figure out DMZ and Port triggering but i set up port forwarding and it works great now. The only problem i have now is the same as yours. Once i put my vita to sleep and switch it on again i have to quit the app and restart it, but thats no biggie.

Anyways thanks a lot :)

• Like 1

Thank you so much for the link. I couldnt figure out DMZ and Port triggering but i set up port forwarding and it works great now. The only problem i have now is the same as yours. Once i put my vita to sleep and switch it on again i have to quit the app and restart it, but thats no biggie.

I'm sure they will fix that sometime soon. The beta didn't do that so I am surprised the final release does.

Glad to hear the problem is fixed for you mate. I do hope they patch it soon, I guess there's a fair few people missing out on the awesome multiplayer because it's awkward and confusing to fix! 

• 8 years later...

With the recent announcement of the server closure people might get to this thread via a search engine, so I am posting this here for visibility.

The Killzone site linked above has been down for years now, so the links posted above wont work any more. So instead I went to the wayback machine and copied what was available from there. I've used the snapshot from march 2019 ( https://web.archive.org/web/20190310154621/http://community.killzone.com/t5/Killzone-Mercenary-PS-Vita/Advanced-Router-Guidelines-for-the-Killzone-Mercenary-Beta-on-PS/td-p/1409818 )

It should be needless to say, but setting a device as a DMZ device is a terrible idea and should only be considered as a last ditch effort. You should definitely try to employ the port forwarding option instead.

Initial post ( http://community.killzone.com/t5/Killzone-Mercenary-PS-Vita/Advanced-Router-Guidelines-for-the-Killzone-Mercenary-Beta-on-PS/td-p/1409818 ):

on ‎08-21-2013 04:07 PM - last edited on ‎08-21-2013 05:07 PM by LiquidRunner

We're aware that some people may be experiencing problems joining into and maintaining a connection for multiplayer games of Killzone: Mercenary.
If you are having problems then the details below may help you set up your internet connection to be more stable for this game.

IMPORTANT: Contact your Internet Service Provider or router manufacturer for proper instructions on how to make a configuration change on your router, input port information for your network or to set up a DMZ device.

Please note that there are some technical aspects to the information below and you should feel comfortable with carrying them out, and have permission to do so, before you make any alterations.

Connections and network ports used by Killzone Mercenary.

Killzone: Mercenary uses certain network ports in order to connect to the PlayStation Network (see http://manuals.playstation.net/document/gb/psvita/psn/firewall.html).

Killzone: Mercenary also connects to game servers providing community features.

Killzone: Mercenary makes connections to other players running Killzone: Mercenary when playing multiplayer games.

For each connection to another player, Killzone: Mercenary makes a connection to them using a port in the following range:

Port 49167-65535 UDP

The PS Vita connection settings application's network test does not test that these ports are open. So, even if you are being reported as NAT Type 2 or 1, you may find these ports are not open on your router.

Unopened ports may lead to failed connection to other players, and the guidelines below may be able to resolve that issue.

Note: If your NAT Type is 3, making these changes may not be enough to get you connecting. If difficulties prevail, you should contact your system administrator or ISP provider for assistance.

Troubleshooting

If you have problems getting into multiplayer games with other people (for example, you’re regularly seeing a “failed to connect to host” error message from the game), you might need to make a configuration change on your router in order for Killzone: Mercenary to improve the connection with other players.

You may be able to resolve issues by setting up one of the following, in order of preference :-

Port Triggering.
    Port Forwarding.
    Making your Vita the DMZ device on your router.

Note: It is advised to avoid making your Vita the DMZ device if possible, as only 1 device in your home network can be the DMZ device, and you may need another device to have that role. However, if you have NAT Type 3 connection then this may be your only option as Port Triggering and Port Forwarding will not work.

Setting up Port Triggering

A guide to setting up port triggering can be found here - http://portforward.com/help/porttriggering.htm.

Routers which support Port Triggering generally have their Port Triggering configuration sections near to that for Port Forwarding. The main difference is you have to say which port sending out data should result in ports being opened for traffic back inbound.

In the case of Killzone: Mercenary, if possible you should set ports 49167-65535 UDP outbound to open the same ports inbound.

Otherwise, if your router requires a specific outbound port to trigger opening inbound, then set port 3478 UDP to open ports 49167-65535 UDP inbound.

If you need help setting up port triggers, contact whoever provides support for your router such as your ISP or router manufacturer for details. If this is not possible, the Port Forward website (http://portforward.com/) may have information on how to find the port triggering section on your router.

Setting up Port Forwarding

If you can, then you should setup port triggering, as port forwarding requires you to give your Vita a static IP address.

A guide to setting up a static IP for your PS Vita can be found here:

http://community.killzone.com/t5/Killzone-Mercenary-PS-Vita/Setting-up-your-Router-with-Port-Forward...

Once this has been done, information on opening ports on your router may be found at the Port Forward website (http://portforward.com/). Look for an entry with specific instructions for Killzone: Mercenary.

This is in addition to the ports required by PlayStation Network (http://portforward.com/english/applications/port_forwarding/PlayStation_Network_PSVita/default.htm).

Note: If the portforward.com details cannot be located, you can use the guide for PlayStation Network, but instead of opening the PlayStation Network ports, open UDP ports 49167-65535 to your Vita's static IP.

Making your PS Vita the DMZ device on your router

This is not the preferred approach, but with some routers it's just not possible to easily set up triggering or forwarding of the game ports. The 'DMZ' device is the device on your network where any traffic that the router doesn't have a destination for will be sent - this makes your PS Vita the bucket for any data being sent to the router, and will often work where other versions don't.

Firstly you have to assign your PS Vita a static IP address as above for port forwarding - once again, the guide here can help:

http://community.killzone.com/t5/Killzone-Mercenary-PS-Vita/Setting-up-your-Router-with-Port-Forward...

Then in your router, you will need to find the option for setting a DMZ device, and enter in the details of the static IP address you've assigned to your Vita.  This is usually to be found in the “firewall” or “advanced settings” router option.

In Summary

If you are unable to make a stable connection to join or play Killzone: Mercenary multiplayer games, then you may be able to gain a better connection by trying one of the above options.

In order of preference they are Port Triggering, Port Forwarding and Making your Vita the DMZ device for your router.

However, you should only do this if you are comfortable with the technical details involved, and have the permission of the router owner to make the changes.

Port Forwarding Guide / DMZ from the above linked Killzone community post:

08-21-2013 03:59 PM - edited ‎08-21-2013 04:00 PM

If you have been experiencing problems joining into and maintaining a connection for multiplayer games then these details may be one possible solution.

IMPORTANT: Contact your Internet Service Provider or router manufacturer for proper instructions on how to make a configuration change on your router, input port information for your network or to set up a DMZ device.

Please note that there are some technical aspects to the information below and you should feel comfortable with carrying them out, and have permission to do so, before you make any alterations.

There are 2 stages to the process of setting up your PS Vita for port forwarding or as a DMZ device.
First you need to give your PS Vita a static IP address, then you need to update your router’s configuration.

The first step is the same, whether making your PS VITA the DMZ device, or setting up port forwarding :-

ASSIGNING YOUR PS VITA A STATIC IP ADDRESS

Before you set your PS VITA up with a static IP address, you will need to find the IP Range and the IP Address used by your wireless router, from the router configuration.

The information you require is:-
The IP Address of the Router (e.g. 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 – it depends on the make of the router and the router configuration).
The IP Range of the router so you can pick one independent IP to assign – this should be an address outside the range dynamically assigned to devices on your home network – usually to be found in ‘LAN’ or ‘DHCP’ settings screens.

Once you have selected this IP address, you can proceed to set up your PS VITA to use this address for connecting to your Wi-Fi network.

Step by Step Guide to setting up a Static IP on your PS Vita

1) Select the Settings Application from your PS Vita’s home page

2) Select the Network option

3) Select the Wi-Fi Settings

4) Select your Wi-Fi Connection

5) Select the Advanced Settings option

6) Follow the information below:
    Set IP Address to the address previously chosen
    Enter 255.255.255.0 into Subnet Mask
    Set Default Gateway to match your Router’s IP Address
    Set Primary DNS to match your Router’s IP Address

Select ‘OK’, and select back until you reach the screen below. This is to ensure the information is saved in your PS Vita.
Select the ‘Internet Connection Test’ to ensure it can connect to the PlayStation Network located on the screen below.

SETTING YOUR PS VITA AS DMZ HOST

Once you have setup your PS VITA with a static IP address, you can set this address to be the DMZ host. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMZ_(computing)#DMZ_host)

Go into your Router’s setup page, find the option for DMZ and enter the IP Address you put into your PS Vita, save this information and confirm the update (often this will restart your Router).

SETTING UP PORT FORWARDING TO  YOUR PS VITA

If you don’t want to set up a DMZ you can manually forward the ports, please see the below ports for further information.

Killzone Mercenary's game networking (and some other PS VITA games) use the following ports :-

UDP : 3478 – 3479, 49167-65535

Additionally, you may need to forward the following core ports used by PS VITA for Playstation Network services are documented here: http://manuals.playstation.net/document/gb/psvita/psn/firewall.html (Usually only the UDP ports would need forwarding to your PS VITA.)

Once you have configured these ports to forward to the static IP address you have assigned to your PS VITA, the router may need to restart to update its configuration.

Hopefully this will have solved your issues. You should test whether it has been successful by playing an online game on your PS Vita - Killzone: Mercenary, perhaps.

[With thanks to Gambe1984 for the original post]