Ps3 controllers

Byoteki_Doge

A friend bought a knockoff on a local store. It's been working very well, and currently no issues. As for personal preferences, 2 of my 4 have troubles from time to time, so I may buy a knockoff.

Other choice is to use a Dualshock 4 on the PS3. I know it doesn't work with every game, but it's worth the try.

• Like 3

I've used a fake PS3 controller and yeah, stay the hell away from those, absolute shite. The only thing you can do is buy a used PS3 controller from eBay, check the description first or ask the seller if it's a genuine controller, this is pretty risky as well since they may also be selling a fake PS3 controller unknowingly, but it's probably your best options. Or if you have a game store near you you can always ask the staff there if they have genuine controllers. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MotsonTheMotto said:

You can buy legit ps3 controllers brand new and boxed on ebay. I got mine for £12

Yeah I bought mine probably early last year for £10 not boxed though and it is an official controller OR try looking at Shpock. Someone might be selling one near you

57 minutes ago, Pirelli913 said:

I'd personally use a PS4 controller. You have to keep it plugged in via USB and vibration won't function, but it works.

You can set them up to be wireless. It's kind of a pain as the system often forgets when you power down.

My biggest gripe is that the home button doesn't work, so I need a second controller to quit out of a game, etc.

1 hour ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

No way those are legit, especially not for that price. Sony stopped producing the DS3 quite some time ago. There's some VERY convincing fakes out there though, and there's also a shit ton of fake Dualshock 4s floating around as well now sadly.

Anyway, I'd suggest perhaps trying to find online stores that seem reputable, such as sites that have their own branch stores (e.g. Game, EB games, Gamestop, Cex). I know it isn't really easy finding genuine DS3s any more, and it can be very hard to tell the difference between a fake and the real deal sometimes. I know you said you don't have any game stores near you, but it might be worth it to make a bit of a journey to one if at all possible so you can check the controller in person.

It's legit and sold by a reputable seller too. Me and my brother build/repair ps3 and ps4 controllers and can tell when one is fake or real lmao. You can easily tell when you're buying one from ebay or any other sites by checking the back of the controllers serial number, description, screw placement etc etc and funnily enough the way "sony" is printed on the box and on the front of the controller, and if you're still suspicious you could always take it apart.

1 hour ago, Pirelli913 said:

I'd personally use a PS4 controller. You have to keep it plugged in via USB and vibration won't function, but it works.

I've been using a ps4 controller for it, but alot of the games I try to play either dont work for the L2-R2 and I cant change controller layouts for that stuff

unfortunately like someone said above, ps4 controller is the best way to go. i have a bunch of off brand controllers and the analogs arent percise and they are always shaped odd. ive bought ones from gamestop and they always have weak batteries or not very good analogs. sometimes you may get lucky with the analog. people on ebay sell fake ones that are second hand but are molded to look exactly like the real ones i have never tried them because they werent official and i didnt want to take the chance. a constant problem for me going to my backlog is getting use to how worn out all of my ps3 controllers are. ive tried to frankenstein them and take parts out of one and put them in another, but ps3 made variations of the inside of their controllers so you cant swap parts all the time. this topic has come up a few times, so we all kind of are in the same boat. sony wants to kill off the ps3 they been killing it off. its on life support at this point lol

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, melodicmizery said:

unfortunately like someone said above, ps4 controller is the best way to go. i have a bunch of off brand controllers and the analogs arent percise and they are always shaped odd. ive bought ones from gamestop and they always have weak batteries or not very good analogs. sometimes you may get lucky with the analog. people on ebay sell fake ones that are second hand but are molded to look exactly like the real ones i have never tried them because they werent official and i didnt want to take the chance. a constant problem for me going to my backlog is getting use to how worn out all of my ps3 controllers are. ive tried to frankenstein them and take parts out of one and put them in another, but ps3 made variations of the inside of their controllers so you cant swap parts all the time. this topic has come up a few times, so we all kind of are in the same boat. sony wants to kill off the ps3 they been killing it off. its on life support at this point lol

The best thing to do is to just desolder the bad analogs and outright replace them with new ones

Ugh, if only we had full backwards compatibility on the PS5, then this would stop being an issue very soon. That flippin' Kutaragi with his Cell architecture man. I have yet to find a reliable 3rd party PS3 controller as all the ones I've had so far showed their flaws relatively quickly. Either the analog stick started drifting or they had some weird quirks that made them inconvenient to use. One controller for example refused to work while plugged in to the PS3. So if you wanted to play but the battery was flat you were out of luck.

If anyone can recommend a durable DS3 replacement that feels good to play with I wouldn't mind paying quite a bit more than the 15 to 20 bucks they're being offered for here in the EU.

Edited by Baka_Marimo

17 hours ago, MotsonTheMotto said:

It's legit and sold by a reputable seller too. Me and my brother build/repair ps3 and ps4 controllers and can tell when one is fake or real lmao. You can easily tell when you're buying one from ebay or any other sites by checking the back of the controllers serial number, description, screw placement etc etc and funnily enough the way "sony" is printed on the box and on the front of the controller, and if you're still suspicious you could always take it apart.

Well, forgive me for not believing you, but £12 for "legit" new controllers that are no longer being manufactured by Sony just seems too good to be real. Even when the PS3 was new and current, I never saw brand new Dualshock 3s for that price.

• Like 3

On 28/08/2020 at 4:30 AM, Byoteki_Doge said:

I've needed a new controller for a while now, and I keep looking on Ebay and amazon, but am not really trusting of the off brand, chinese made controllers. I dont have a game store anywhere near me that accessible either. What do you guys use/prefer when it comes to yours?

So, you don't want a "Chinese made" controller?? 

Maybe take a look at the sticker on the back of your existing controller.... lol

On 8/29/2020 at 10:15 AM, damage_6-9 said:

So, you don't want a "Chinese made" controller?? 

Maybe take a look at the sticker on the back of your existing controller.... lol

Weird that you read I specified a knock off chinese made, not the actual licensed controller, and then ignored that.

• Like 1