HDMI 2.1 -PS5

thefourfoldroot

On 29/08/2020 at 0:02 PM, TheNocturnalOwl said:

HDMI 2.1 supports 4K 120Hz or 8K at 60Hz. 2.0 only supports 1080p 240Hz (though this is disputable), 1440p at 144Hz, and 4K at 60Hz. Meaning if there's games that can seriously do 4K at 120fps you wouldn't be experiencing the full experience visually (there could be screen tearing), though you'd see better response time to your controller's inputs. Another thing to take into account is your television's refresh rate (Hz), most TVs on the market now display at 120Hz, though there's few like models by LG that only display at 60Hz. 

This all depends on the power of the system and the developers if investing into HDMI 2.1 is worth it. Currently there's only two games announced for the system to run at 120fps; DIRT 5 and Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War. The latter is said to be running at 4K 120fps, while DIRT 5 is not confirmed to support 4K at that frame rate, but from what has been said about the Xbox Series X version that's been announced to run at 60fps at 4K, we can safely assume the 120fps mode will be set to 1440p or even 1080. 

I would say it's not worth it. 

Thank you for explaining that.

So yeah in short currently it's not worth changing your TV for, maybe years down the line but not anytime soon.

My TV is a 4K capable of 120hz refresh, but it is from 2017 so there's no HDMI 2.1. I seriously doubt we'll see any games taking full advantage of the tech for years to come. I hope games capable of 120 fps will do so on my TV with some kind of performance option in-game. But I won't be too put out if the best I get is 60 fps, only a percentage of folks will be playing their PS5's on the best tech anytime soon.

Although i doubt developpers will take full advantage of 4k 120fps within the first year or two, my previous tv died so i decided to go with the lg c9 65 inch, mainly for hdmi 2.1 and secondly for oled tech.

I am happy that i future-proofed cause everybody is just speculating and we don't know what devs will do, so if you're buying a new tv just for ps5 i don't see the necessity, but if you have to replace your current one, i would definitely buy with 2.1 cause i believe we will see advantages in the next few years (plus eArc sound will be absolutely awesome)

I'm also in the market for a new TV to coincide with the PS5 as my current one is due for an upgrade. The two I've narrowed it down to both have HDMI 2.1 but I just can't decide whether I want an OLED or not as I'm worried about potential burn in/image retention. I've heard it can be a risk. Anyone have any advice on that at all? Good or bad experience? For reference, the two models I'm eyeing off are the LG CX and the Sony X900H (X90H). Looking at the 65" models. The latter isn't currently out yet where I live, due to be released here in Aus this month I believe. Cheers!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PeachyJacobs said:

I'm also in the market for a new TV to coincide with the PS5 as my current one is due for an upgrade. The two I've narrowed it down to both have HDMI 2.1 but I just can't decide whether I want an OLED or not as I'm worried about potential burn in/image retention. I've heard it can be a risk. Anyone have any advice on that at all? Good or bad experience? For reference, the two models I'm eyeing off are the LG CX and the Sony X900H (X90H). Looking at the 65" models. The latter isn't currently out yet where I live, due to be released here in Aus this month I believe. Cheers!

You won't get burn in on a new OLED unless you leave a static image on for hours and hours for weeks and weeks. If you want to be on the safe side, just switch the screen off or into standby if you ever have to walk away from it, but I've had mine for over a year and have had zero issues. It tends to retain images if you leave them on long enough, true, but that quickly fades. I'd definitely go for the OLED, I have an LG E7 myself.

Edited by Stan Lee
  • Like 2

Glad I'm not the only one here wondering if the new consoles will support Full HD / 1080p TVs. I cannot see myself buying a new console, a second controller AND a new TV all at once (>$800 + $110 + thousands more AUD spent on jumping to the 9th Gen, It's just not gonna happen based on what I'm observing).

On 8/29/2020 at 2:54 AM, thefourfoldroot said:

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I’ve just checked and my 4K HDR “Ready” TV than I got some years ago doesn’t have a HDMI 2.1 connection.

As I’m getting PS5 I was wondering whether I’ll get a worse experience in the short term or longer term.

Really not great with tech stuff like this.

Don't get a new one right now..

I've been researching and it's not worth it right now. 

I do my own research and I follow this reliable YouTube channel named HDTVTest.

I want to get a LG OLED but the previous model has certain features I want and the newest model has what I want too... 

• Like 1

My old Samsung I bought for myself as a grad gift back in 2011 killed itself a couple months ago and so I bought a cheap piece of junk from Walmart for the time being. I am also in the market for grabbing a new tv in time for the PS5. I don't know anything about TVs. All I know is I want one that actually turns on when I push the button on the remote from less than two feet away!!! Ugh so annoying. If anyone can recommend a good tv that isn't crazy expensive that would be appreciated!!

Edited by Upendo_Vitani

6 hours ago, PeachyJacobs said:

Like what @Stan Lee said, there's no need to worry about the screen burn unless you're leaving an image on for an extremely long time. I just invested in an LG OLED 55BX and i'm very happy with the upgrade from my 10 year old Samsung LCD. LG seem to have invested in gaming specs for their OLEDs (VRR, 2.1 HDMI, NVIDIA G-Sync) and I even see noticeable improvements on my ps3 games. 

• Like 1

I'm curious what the PS5 HDMI 2.1 bandwidth will be. It has been revealed the Series X HDMI 2.1 chip is 40 Gbps. In any case I'm interested in the Sony X900H as a PS5 ready tv, plus it not being an OLED saves some money ?.

Edited by StarFang7

On 9/1/2020 at 8:10 AM, Stan Lee said:

You won't get burn in on a new OLED unless you leave a static image on for hours and hours for weeks and weeks. If you want to be on the safe side, just switch the screen off or into standby if you ever have to walk away from it, but I've had mine for over a year and have had zero issues. It tends to retain images if you leave them on long enough, true, but that quickly fades. I'd definitely go for the OLED, I have an LG E7 myself.

On 9/1/2020 at 2:08 PM, black__bunny said:

Like what @Stan Lee said, there's no need to worry about the screen burn unless you're leaving an image on for an extremely long time. I just invested in an LG OLED 55BX and i'm very happy with the upgrade from my 10 year old Samsung LCD. LG seem to have invested in gaming specs for their OLEDs (VRR, 2.1 HDMI, NVIDIA G-Sync) and I even see noticeable improvements on my ps3 games. 

Thanks for the advice! I think I've been convinced on the OLED. Currently looking at the LG CX and deciding between the 55" and 65". I think the 65" may be a little too big for my current space but I'm in a rental and looking to have a place of my own in the next couple years with a larger living area so am leaning towards the bigger screen. In my current area I'll be about 8 feet from the screen. Do you think the 65" will be ok at that distance? From what I've read online around the 9 foot mark is ideal for 65-70 inch screens so hopefully it will be ok.

I've also been researching a new 55" TV to replace a 5-year old Samsung 1080p LCD.

What I have learned in the last few weeks is that the more YouTube reviews I watched, the more confused I became!!

I would love an LG55CX but I have read a few horror stories regarding burn-in that have put me right off OLED....I just don't want to have to think about it. 

With that in mind, I have settled on the Sony X900H as the best, future proof LED I can get right now. I had a look at one instore and the improvement on what I have now is huuugee :)

40 minutes ago, Platosaurus said:

I've also been researching a new 55" TV to replace a 5-year old Samsung 1080p LCD.

What I have learned in the last few weeks is that the more YouTube reviews I watched, the more confused I became!!

I would love an LG55CX but I have read a few horror stories regarding burn-in that have put me right off OLED....I just don't want to have to think about it. 

With that in mind, I have settled on the Sony X900H as the best, future proof LED I can get right now. I had a look at one instore and the improvement on what I have now is huuugee :)

I had come to the exact same conclusion myself after being worried about burn in on the OLED. The Sony X900H (X9000H here in Aus) is the best of the LED options so I went in store to check it out. That's when I was convinced I need an OLED. The difference in picture quality between the Sony and the LG CX is massive. I did some further research into the OLEDs and it looks like the 7 series were very problematic with regards to burn in but the newer models aren't as prone to it. Just don't leave it sitting on the same screen for days at a time and it will be fine.

I do understand the appeal of the Sony though and not having it in the back of your mind though. Worrying about it would be stressful so go with the Sony if you want peace of mind. Both options will look great :)

On 9/11/2020 at 2:16 AM, Leo_the_Lion25 said:

Anyone here still waiting for Gaming Monitors that support HDMI 2.1? 

Just wondering. Most sticking with TVs. 

Gaming monitors that will take advantage of HDMI 2.1 will cost a ton of money.

I've been trying to buy a good monitor for almost 2 years as it has been difficult to find one I would buy. I don't want a TN. They're fast but image, colors and contrast are all shit and that's what my eyes see. That leaves VA or IPS. I wanted it to be 4K, which would be better in future terms, but also today to see 4K movies. Something with a high refresh rate will go up to 1000$ or Euros.

Problem is that most of the expensive monitors have more or less serious issues and I'm not willing to pay a ton of money to get something that is a always a lottery to be even remotely close to really good.

The best 4K monitors 27" right now at a decent price are the ones built with a IPS Innolux panel the M280DCA-E3B, but it's 60Hz only and the most interesting seems to be the Asus VG289Q. Innolux has some more interesting panels coming up in 27" and 32" sizes but prices are probably going to be steep. There's almost none interesting VA panels for 27", and the ones available with 32" were developed a few years ago, so they were built for old specs.

If you want a good monitor with a high refresh rate you'll be looking at at least a thousand for quite sometime. You'll have to decide between quality and speed.

The panel is always the more important asset of the monitor, if the panel is crap, no electronics they'll add will make miracles.

If you're investing some money on this, it's probably wise to wait at least until next year. More and better suited products will emerge in monitors and TV once the consoles are available for sale. Also do remember that there's usually a price for being a pioneer in these matters (incompatibilities, flaws, limitations).

Edited by cris3f