HDMI 2.1 -PS5

thefourfoldroot

There's a interesting monitor coming up from Philips in Q1 2021, the Momentum 328M1R. It's a 32" 4K VA model with probably 3x HDMI 2.1 and 120 Hz, with a tentative price of 599€. If the price is kept and with the announced specs it will hopefully be a good buy if it does not have issues. Be careful when buying a monitor to work with the PS5 as I've read that there's reports that the PS5 has issues connecting to monitors with high refresh rates. Hopefully Sony will correct this, the problem does not seem to exist with Series X's.

There's another 2 32" models with IPS panels announced from Viewsonic and Acer but I'm betting these will be a LOT more expensive than this one.

Smaller sizes only TN panel based monitors seem to be available.

23 minutes ago, Cleggworth said:

I didn't bother with a TV that supported hdmi 2.1, for me the PS5/4k TV combo was expensive enough without doubling the price for something that I might not even use that often.

Maybe in the future if and when the technology becomes more affordable 

Same here, I have a 4k60 TV and I'll use it for this generation since I'm happy with it and there are still games that can't even do 4k30 with ray-tracing and other bells and whistles enabled. In a couple of years when HDMI 2.1 TVs are more affordable and have the technologies the next generation of PlayStation consoles supports, then I'll switch but I don't feel the need to do so just now to get 120FPS in a very few games I may not even play.

Before PS5's specs were announced, my wish was to play in 4k60 with ray-tracing and HDR both enabled but it looks like PS5 is not capable of doing that. Here's hoping PS6 can so that I don't have to choose between sub-4k resolution and framerate, i.e., Performance vs Quality Mode, and just have the best of both worlds.

I don't think any HDMI supports RGB 4k HDR at 60HZ yet, YUV 4k 60 HZ yes.

Better correct myself, Over 8Bit

So I have been running a PC with a 2080 Super for some time now and there is very little support for Ray Tracing. I think the consoles will improve this situation.

Edited by Z1MZUM

Yeah what I meant to say was 8bit HDR 4k 60hz works on YUV with HDMI. RGB though, trying 10 or 12 bit gives you 30hz on pc using HDR 4k and I doubt the PS5 would be any different.  I am so damn tired but all this messing around with 4K and HDR and also raytracing has blown my brains away for the time being, I see the PS5 as an easier solution. I love my PC sure but I emulate the Switch and that kind of thing. Ps5 even has the performance vs quality so that's great. I am probably wrong as much as right :) But you don't want anything under 2.0. I mean your TV will probably reject input plus. The HDMI that comes with the PS5 is fine.

With that said, If you have a kick ass  pc would you still want PS5? Hell yeah, Some games to me are console games even though that's just an opinion.

And, I am looking forward to all of us having this console.

Oh yeah, I like the watchdog games, Legions give you 4 and 5 for one cost. Check the piggy

Edited by Z1MZUM

On 12/1/2020 at 7:33 AM, LoveInHell said:

@TheNocturnalOwl I read your post, is it best to buy a HDMI 2.0 if you own a 4K HDR tv?

If this is in relation to the PS5 still, stick with what comes with the console which is the HDMI 2.1. Even if your display doesn't have HDMI 2.1 support it will still take the HDMI 2.1 cable in the normal HDMI port. You won't get 4K 120hz if the TV doesn't support it, but the HDMI 2.1 still will do everything below that HDMI 2.0 can. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Ok well as of last week my Sony 900H has arrived with 2.1 HDMI which means 4k at 120hz

I didn't know when I didn't have it, but now that I do have it running 4k RGB 120hz it's going to be hard to go back. PS5 , Xbox Seris X and PC all running at same settings I feel spoiled. 

What am I even trying to say? Don't rush out and spend the $ as the new consoles still look amazing on HDMI 2.0

If you do get HDMI 2.1 beware that you WILL notice the difference and might not want to go back. Not many tv's have this option.

12 minutes ago, grimydawg___ said:

If you really want HDMI 2.1, just wait until later this year.  Current model TVs and/or monitors will be cheaper, as newer models will come out.  That's what I personally do when upgrading.

So expensive, The Sony is the cheapest I could find. It's not the 120hz that makes a big difference because virtually no games support it. It's the full RGB at 4k though my 1 year old Samsung still looks amazing at 2.0. I think Sony has made the 9000H, 900H, 90H (Depending on your country) for the PS5.

Came here because I'm in the same boat...

My 50" Samsung 4K TV from 2015 doesn't have HDR even, so I've been considering upgrading by year end so I can fully enjoy what the PS5 has to offer. So it is a safe bet to assume there will be more choices for HDMI 2.1 support by like the fall or so?

On 8/31/2020 at 11:56 PM, PeachyJacobs said:

I'm also in the market for a new TV to coincide with the PS5 as my current one is due for an upgrade. The two I've narrowed it down to both have HDMI 2.1 but I just can't decide whether I want an OLED or not as I'm worried about potential burn in/image retention. I've heard it can be a risk. Anyone have any advice on that at all? Good or bad experience? For reference, the two models I'm eyeing off are the LG CX and the Sony X900H (X90H). Looking at the 65" models. The latter isn't currently out yet where I live, due to be released here in Aus this month I believe. Cheers!

I was torn between earlier iterations of similar models some years ago and went with whatever Sony was offering at the time in terms of 'gaming' TV's (mine is 55"). I've watched a few YT discussion over tech and whatnot but at the time Sony was on a nice discount and I went with Sony = Sony matching it to my PS4 at the time. Control, COD and Horizon look amazing on it on PS5 at the moment(60Hz 4K, HDR, low-latency mode etc.) but no HDMI 2.1.

Between myself and a few friends that game I can tell you not a single one has any burn-in issues on their OLED's or QLED's or whatever. I never cared about it and left it on at a static image while downloading stuff or some friends that solely play some sport games or exclusively some shooters that have score-boards or ammo icons always on the same spot - no one ever had any burn-in issues. I think that Linus guy on YT or someone similar did a test and after a couple of weeks of 24h static image no burn-in was there.

Come to think of it the absolutely only place I saw a burn in on a TV was in a hotel where the TV was years old and the hotel logo was black-on-white always on on the hallways screens.

I think it is one of those early issues that was solved but persists into future such as people thinking their car battery will discharge if put on concrete, windshield will shatter if hot (not boiling) water is used to de-ice the windshield or put cardboard shades over tires when parked in the sun so the tires won't deform or bubble (as they did in the 80's).

On 2/18/2021 at 2:21 AM, Valkirye22 said:

I was torn between earlier iterations of similar models some years ago and went with whatever Sony was offering at the time in terms of 'gaming' TV's (mine is 55"). I've watched a few YT discussion over tech and whatnot but at the time Sony was on a nice discount and I went with Sony = Sony matching it to my PS4 at the time. Control, COD and Horizon look amazing on it on PS5 at the moment(60Hz 4K, HDR, low-latency mode etc.) but no HDMI 2.1.

Between myself and a few friends that game I can tell you not a single one has any burn-in issues on their OLED's or QLED's or whatever. I never cared about it and left it on at a static image while downloading stuff or some friends that solely play some sport games or exclusively some shooters that have score-boards or ammo icons always on the same spot - no one ever had any burn-in issues. I think that Linus guy on YT or someone similar did a test and after a couple of weeks of 24h static image no burn-in was there.

Come to think of it the absolutely only place I saw a burn in on a TV was in a hotel where the TV was years old and the hotel logo was black-on-white always on on the hallways screens.

I think it is one of those early issues that was solved but persists into future such as people thinking their car battery will discharge if put on concrete, windshield will shatter if hot (not boiling) water is used to de-ice the windshield or put cardboard shades over tires when parked in the sun so the tires won't deform or bubble (as they did in the 80's).

The only burn in I ever saw was Donkey Kong Level one still visible on an 8 yard fight machine.

The Sony x90,x900,x9000h (all same model) is good value.

Edit: So I have plugged my PS4 Pro back in and I can tell you that allot of my PS4 games look amazing on my new tv. Conclusion, Not so much the PS5 vs PS4pro, more like the difference with HDMI 2.1 is really noticeable.

Edited by Z1MZUM

• 1 month later...
On 8/29/2020 at 0:02 PM, TheNocturnalOwl said:

This all depends on the power of the system and the developers if investing into HDMI 2.1 is worth it. Currently there's only two games announced for the system to run at 120fps; DIRT 5 and Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War. The latter is said to be running at 4K 120fps, while DIRT 5 is not confirmed to support 4K at that frame rate, but from what has been said about the Xbox Series X version that's been announced to run at 60fps at 4K, we can safely assume the 120fps mode will be set to 1440p or even 1080. 

As far as I read from the source, Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War will not run at 120 fps in 4K, it will be at a lower resolution probably Full HD.

Let's face it, it's improbable that either the PS5 or Xbox X have the power to run intensive games at 4K / 120 FPS, and when they try they will cut the corners a lot by lowering visual quality. All the ones announced until now will run at Full HD when in 120 FPS mode.

They both lie as usual, like Sony did when they said the Vita had the same processing power as the PS3.

Edited by cris3f