The Boss Extreme Tips & Tricks

MakotoKaCun

Finally got the Big Boss Emblem that took me roughly a week. But should be able to get it within a week depend how passion you are. The Hardest part maybe the Bike scenes. 

118326672_2665497050380733_7627806495456

Anyway I being using this guide and most of the stuff still work. 

Oh yea a tip from me for Act 3 is to use the SAIGA12 & V ring to shoo the Frog at the turret during the bike scenes.(using Auto Aim help a lot) 
Other then that using his guide will be pretty good.

• Like 3

Nice work ?

I managed this run in about 2 hours 48 minutes, and only really had trouble with 3 sections - the beginning of Act 2 (took me many attempts to successfully get through without being seen), the bike chase in Act 3, and the fight against Liquid at the end.  Most of the success rate just comes down to knowing which shortcuts you can take and which tactics will save time, like using the Railgun to defeat Raging Raven in one shot, or using the Solar Gun to defeat Vamp in one shot.  It's really not as hard as many people think it is.

If MGS4 ever gets remastered for PS4 or 5, it would be fun to tackle the Big Boss run again. ?

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I'm tackling the Big Boss run right now and I'm encountering a problem not mentioned in Vash's video or anywhere else when googling. I'm in Act 2 now in Vash's guide he starts the chapter with 30 rounds for his tranqualizer gun but when I start it I have only 14 left (that's how many bullets I've ended the previous chapter with). How do I replenish the ammo? I can't purchase anything in the Drebin store. Help would be greatly appreciated.

You can easily find tranq ammo scattered around the maps. 

The most important thing though, is to prepare properly before starting the Big Boss Extreme playthrough. 

I had max ammo for every weapon before starting the run. The tranq pistol has the beast ammo which is also non lethal; laughing ammo, screaming ammo and crying ammo. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, janzor88 said:

You can easily find tranq ammo scattered around the maps. 

The most important thing though, is to prepare properly before starting the Big Boss Extreme playthrough. 

I had max ammo for every weapon before starting the run. The tranq pistol has the beast ammo which is also non lethal; laughing ammo, screaming ammo and crying ammo. 

Thanks for the info. I only found out about the different ammo now when it is too late already. I guess I just have myself to blame as I thought just following Vash's video would be enough. Unlike me he however starts the run with no previous playthroughs. Gonna have to wait and see if this continues to be a problem. Might have to restart the run (which I really wouldn't like).

I can remember some tranq ammo if you follow the left path, near the power station. 

You will come to an area with a guard in front of you near some logs, and there will be an XM8 rifle and javelin nearby + a sniper nearby on some hill. 

Near these logs, you can find tranq ammo, and a bit later at the Vista Mansion there should be tranq ammo outside on the roof, near the wall. 

I never used the alternative tranq ammo, so that part at least shouldn't be too much of a problem for you. 

Just write if you need help with anything else. It's a really nice game. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, janzor88 said:

I can remember some tranq ammo if you follow the left path, near the power station. 

You will come to an area with a guard in front of you near some logs, and there will be an XM8 rifle and javelin nearby + a sniper nearby on some hill. 

Near these logs, you can find tranq ammo, and a bit later at the Vista Mansion there should be tranq ammo outside on the roof, near the wall. 

I never used the alternative tranq ammo, so that part at least shouldn't be too much of a problem for you. 

Just write if you need help with anything else. It's a really nice game. 

Thanks, managed to get the tranq ammo. That helped a lot.

Good to know that the other ammo is not really necessary. Was worried for a second there.

It really is a good game but with my eight playthrough I really want to put an end to this and move on. Sadly it looks like I will have to do at least half of a ninth playthrough since I missed one iPod song. I'll try to get it this playthrough but if it turns out to be too much of a hassle I'll keep it for last as an easy clean up after the Boss Extreme run^^

3 hours ago, janzor88 said:

BBE can't be the last run, as you also get an emblem for completing the game with all weapons unlocked and collected. 

Since you get some weapons for completing BBE, you'll need to play at least one more time unfortunately. 

Really? I thought I had all the necessary weapons since I already got the "I am THE expert on weapons" trophy. Oh well, no helping it. If I ever make through the Boss Extreme run I'd gladly take another laid back clean up playthrough.

1 hour ago, Ivotas said:

Really? I thought I had all the necessary weapons since I already got the "I am THE expert on weapons" trophy. Oh well, no helping it. If I ever make through the Boss Extreme run I'd gladly take another laid back clean up playthrough.

It's for the "Little Gray" emblem.
You get 4 weapons after completing BBE, so you'll need 1 more playthrough after that.

• Like 1

Sorry for the double post but I've got a question again. I'm at the Mantis fight right now and kinda stuck here. I tried doing what we can see in the walkthrough but unlike in the video I'm being shot from all sides by machine gun fire. Sometimes I'm lucky and being shot from the front only so it's easy to block that. But what I can not avoid is the knives or whatever it is Mantis keeps throwing at me are approaching. Is there a strategy on how to take less damage here?

Edited by Ivotas

26 minutes ago, Ivotas said:

Sorry for the double post but I've got a question again. I'm at the Mantis fight right now and kinda stuck here. I tried doing what we can see in the walkthrough but unlike in the video I'm being shot from all sides by machine gun fire. Sometimes I'm lucky and being shot from the front only so it's easy to block that. But what I can not avoid is the knives or whatever it is Mantis keeps throwing at me are approaching. Is there a strategy on how to take less damage here?

Do you mean the actual fight with Screaming Mantis or the Frogs fight that preceeds it?

If it's the former simply equip your M4 and keep shooting at Mantis Doll, that will interrupt Screaming Mantis attacks and her control over the Frogs (move out of the way and roll to safety if you are surrounded or the enemy is very close). Keep doing that after she drops the doll, then grab it, equip it and let her taste her own medicine. This is the easiest fight of the entire game. 

If you managed to make it through the bike chase on Extreme, then the platinum will be yours.

Edited by Deceptrox
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Ivotas said:

If you are referring to the Frog fight, you can do a trick with emotion smoke grenades. IIRC when you have one Frog left in the first wave you throw a green (?) smoke grenade at her feet and tranq her and throw another as the first grenade ends, repeat 3/4 times. Do some Googling you will find a speedrun video of it I'm sure.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback guys. Sorry for being unclear. I'm already past the frogs. I'm talking about Mantis herself. I've been doing as you said which usually works until it suddenly doesn't work anymore. The first couple of tries the fault lay with me being not agressive enough to shoot the Mantis doll giving her a window to attack me. But then I found my rhythm and do as you suggest. The thing is though, that even doing that when the second stage hits, she now does not give me a time window to actually shoot her doll. I know what I'm supposed to do but I just don't have the opportunity to do (also because she's putting soldiers in front of the doll blocking my shot). So I was wondering if there's a strategy to cope with these circumstances or should I just keep on trying until at some point she will be more generous to me?^^

Hey guys, apologies for another double post but I've just beaten the BBE run and wanted to say thank you to everybody who's been helpful with their feedback when I had questions. You guys rock.^^

Edited by Ivotas
Original request not needed anymore
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, Ivotas said:

Hey guys, apologies for another double post but I've just beaten the BBE run and wanted to say thank you to everybody who's been helpful with their feedback when I had questions. You guys rock.^^

Good job mate!
It's a very nice platinum to have in the collection!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, janzor88 said:

Good job mate!
It's a very nice platinum to have in the collection!

10 hours ago, da-Noob123 said:

Congratulations and welcome to the BBE Club!

Thanks guys. On my final playthrough now and BOY is it cathartic to have an anything goes playthrough on the lowest difficulty after the BBE run. It's like the devs did order intentionally as some sort of reward.^^

Edit:
Btw, just a question in order to not mess this easy run up. Now on my final run I only need to beat the game and I will get the emblem for collecting all weapons, right? Or do I need to do something specific in that run?

Edited by Ivotas
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Ivotas said:

Btw, just a question in order to not mess this easy run up. Now on my final run I only need to beat the game and I will get the emblem for collecting all weapons, right? Or do I need to do something specific in that run?

The only thing you have to do, is to enjoy your upcoming and hard fought platinum trophy ?

• Like 1