Should/Will there be more 'Tales of' remasters?

SelectiveGamer

I decided to make this a thread because I thought there could be more of a discussion that couldn't be covered with Status Updates. If this is the wrong area a mod is more than welcome to move it to wherever they think it belongs.

So in case I haven't said it enough... I've started playing the 'Tales of' franchise again. I haven't played one in OVER A DECADE. I have no idea why I stopped. Seriously. I don't. lol. ?

I'm still only in the minor beginning of Tales of Berseria and I'm already loving the hell out of it. I also still have Zestiria & Vesperia (Definitive) in my backlog to play as well. Zestiria I will actually be playing after Berseria.

The first one I played was Tales of Symphonia on the GameCube and I remember LOVING it. Especially it's humor, the anime cutscenes, and the sheer randomness of it. Like... the characters would just go off on tangents randomly (the skits I mean I think) about stuff that had nothing to do with anything involving what they were doing currently. But that's why I loved it so much. The characters were great as well. Plus... it had a battle system that wasn't popular at the time (for Symphonia anyway). Action style. Back then it reminded me of Kingdom Hearts and now it's practically the new craze for JRPGs I guess. Action Based Systems. For some reason I didn't play another Tales of game until the Symphonia sequel came out that everyone hated (except for me as always. This happens a lot it seems)

But from what I've experienced from Berseria so far... I've missed out. A LOT. lol. Hopefully I can somewhat make up for it with Berseria, Zestiria & Vesperia (Definitive). I plan on getting Arise as well whenever it decides to come out (2021 minimum is my guess. Though I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see it until 2022 unfortunately).

But they did a remaster/Definitive Edition of Vesperia which originally came out on the PS3. Do you think they'll do more of these? I certainly hope so and I really think they should. So I can catch up on everything I missed mostly. I know they already did one for the Symphonia games but it was for PS3 and I think it should be done again for modern based systems so I can experience it again (and yes that includes the sequel because I happened to LIKE it). But if they do ones for the other games from the PS3 era, or even earlier, that would be fine too. The only ones I keep hearing about are the Xilia games, Abyss, and Hearts R I guess? To be honest I'll take any kind of new remaster or another 'Definitive Edition' for the Tales of games so I can maybe catch up on what I've missed. ?

Does anyone else think this should happen as well? If so which Tales of games should get it? Or is this just me? It is just me? Oh............. ?

Yes, particularly the ones the west never got like rebirth, destiny remake(supposidly this one is the best out of all the japan only titles), destiny 2(not to be confused with the localized eternia which they stupidly called destiny 2), or innocence. vesperia ps3 was a good start but at least the mothership titles should get remastered.

Considering they skipped this entire generation, they really should've remastered a bunch to fill in the gap. I have no idea why they went from "let's release 1 a year" to "let's skip an entire console cycle" but it definitely seems like a missed opportunity to drop some more remasters.

Also, I'd love an excuse to platinum Graces again lol.

It would nice of Bandai Namco will re-release this games and give them the definitive edition like they did with Vesparia. I even want to play some of the tales games that were Japan exclusive like Tales of Innocence R for the PS vita. But at the end it, they have to considered sales and if they want to risk it.  

CelestialShards.png

Would like to have 
Tales of Symphonia HD Collection
Tales of Xillia 1 & 2
Tales of Graces F
Tales of Hearts R on either Nintendo Switch or PS4 would buy them again on both platforms
Still want Tales of Zesteria and Berseria on the Switch as well.
Kind of wouldn't mind having Tales of Destiny 1 & 2 remake/remaster either since I never played those ones or Tales of Phantasia

Edited by Nightstream88

I would definitely welcome some more Tales remasters. Tales of the Abyss in particular is one I'd love to see re-released on modern consoles. Never got the chance to play it.

1 hour ago, KingGuy420 said:

Considering they skipped this entire generation, they really should've remastered a bunch to fill in the gap. I have no idea why they went from "let's release 1 a year" to "let's skip an entire console cycle" but it definitely seems like a missed opportunity to drop some more remasters.

I'm struggling to understand what you meant by this. First they remade Innocence and Hearts on the Vita. Even if you don't include them for whatever reason, both Zestiria and Berseria were released this generation in 2015 and 2016 respectively. Like yeah, they got a PS3 release as well, but I don't see why that should matter. Then of course there was the Vesperia remaster in 2019. So while you could argue the Tales releases have been rather sparse this gen when compared to previous ones, they definitely didn't skip the whole console cycle.

12 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

I'm struggling to understand what you meant by this. First they remade Innocence and Hearts on the Vita. Even if you don't include them for whatever reason, both Zestiria and Berseria were released this generation in 2015 and 2016 respectively. Like yeah, they got a PS3 release as well, but I don't see why that should matter. Then of course there was the Vesperia remaster in 2019. So while you could argue the Tales releases have been rather sparse this gen when compared to previous ones, they definitely didn't skip the whole console cycle.

They were developed for PS3, using the engine they developed for PS3. We never got a "true" next gen Tales. That's skipping a console cycle to me. It's fine if you don't see it that way, but I always will. Until Arise comes out anyways... unless it gets pushed to next gen.

Edited by KingGuy420

So out of pure curiosity... I looked on the dying/dead PS3 PSN store for the older games... and most of them are around the $30 range which is okay I guess... but... I still think I'd rather have remasters/ports/whatever.

Yet another reason for them to do it I guess. Besides... I'm a 'physical' person so that's kind of a problem for me too. All of them are practically an arm and a leg in terms of price for physical version. Unless PS5 allows you 'stream' or whatever games from PS3 and lower generation. But apparently that's not a thing...?

*sighs* ?

I already played all the PS3, vita and PS4 titles, so I would love to see remasters of the old Tales games like Destiny, Destiny 2, Eternia, Rebirth, the Abyss, Legendia and Phantasia. I'd also like to see one of the radiant mythology games, or all three as a pack in one. 

This thread reminded me that for some reason  I bought the entire Tales of series for the ps3 and ps4 while I never played a single one of them, except  Xillia 1 for a very short while. I really need to stop buying stuff...

What are the most painstakingly plats? The two Symphonia and Zestiria? Might want to start with those and get them out of the way.

On 8/31/2020 at 3:28 PM, SelectiveGamer said:

So out of pure curiosity... I looked on the dying/dead PS3 PSN store for the older games... and most of them are around the $30 range which is okay I guess... but... I still think I'd rather have remasters/ports/whatever.

Yet another reason for them to do it I guess. Besides... I'm a 'physical' person so that's kind of a problem for me too. All of them are practically an arm and a leg in terms of price for physical version. Unless PS5 allows you 'stream' or whatever games from PS3 and lower generation. But apparently that's not a thing...?

*sighs* 1f62d.png

The physical prices for all PS3 only Tales games are still $15-30 second hand from what I'm seeing.