[Patched] Unlimited Money / Skill Book Exploit

dernop

Both exploits have been patched!

Skill book exploit confirmed to be working up to patch version: 1.12

Money exploit confirmed to be working up to patch version 1.07

(Checked on 2021-01-28)

Skill book exploit: (thanks to @Game_Knot)

After reading a skill book, simply "drop" it (the context menu stays open after reading), pick it back up, rinse and repeat. 

This way you can use any skill book an unlimited amount of times and basically max out all skills on all your characters.

Some skill books you can get rather early in the game, like Lockpicking and Brawling. See here for a full list and their locations: https://wasteland3.wiki.fextralife.com/Skill+Books

Money exploit:

This has been fixed with Patch 1.08. Antiques Appraiser will NOT trigger for Scrap at all anymore and overall it will only give 40x instead of 50x the money on proc.

I guess you could still try to save-scum it using the non-scrap junk.

There is already an unlimited money exploit for everyone that wants to make buying gear or ammunition a non-issue and you can do it as early as level 4, because you need one specific perk for it.

More specifically you need the "Antiques Appraiser" perk from the Barter skill (Barter Level 7), which gives you a 5% chance to sell Junk for 50x the actual value.

This can be easily exploited by selling all your junk to a vendor (via the Square button) and then buying back all of your "Scrap" for $1 and repeat.

It is a little bit random ofc (5%), so it may take some tries for the perk to trigger, but all you have to do is basically pressing Square, buy back all scrap, repeat and eventually you will have more than enough money for the rest of the game. Or just repeat this process later on, whenever needed of course. Unfortunately those sliders to choose the amount to sell are _horribly_ slow, so i basically just press X a bunch of times, since it will just buy back half of the stack every time... good enough.

Obviously the more scrap you have, the better. So make a habit out of it to collect as much scrap as possible and keep it on you (btw make sure to buy back all your scrap from the vendor when you are done duping, so you can repeat it later).

I'd suggest creating a "skill mule" once you reach the Ranger HQ and just pump everything into Intelligence and Barter. Once this char reaches level 4, get the perk Antiques Appraiser and you're done. Just take that one with you whenever you wanna make some cash.

Edited by dernop
Patched
  • Like 3

Not sure if I'm doing it right. I have the perk and sell scrap and after I exit selling it tells me it sold item at action for XXXX but I still have the same amount of cash.

Edit: Seems you have to use the square button sell all junk

Edited by Xtree
fixed

6 hours ago, amcferron85 said:

I had to get Barter to 7 in order to unlock that perk. Don't have a Perk point to try it yet sadly. So I can't test it.

yep, my bad. you need barter level 7 for this perk! guess i mixed that up with with the 5% chance or something. 

i fixed the OP, thanks!

5 hours ago, Xtree said:

Btw someone on gamefaqs had a nice tip. With skill books if you press x fast enough you can get 4 skill points per book.

Ah yes, i read about that somewhere, too. Good tip.

I will definitely also give that one a try later on, just make sure to make a hard save before so you have multiple tries. Perhaps even use a turbo controller? ?

On 4.9.2020 at 1:22 AM, Xtree said:

Btw someone on gamefaqs had a nice tip. With skill books if you press x fast enough you can get 4 skill points per book.

I dont recommend using this exploit but you can actually get unlimited skill points from those skill books by reading them and then quickly pushing drop it ..... Pick it up again and rinse and repeat.

On 9/3/2020 at 7:22 PM, Xtree said:

So you rapidly push X when initially saying use item on self? Getting 4 skill points per book sounds nice. Not sure I want unlimited skill points though. I prefer my characters have 3-4 skills.

On 7.9.2020 at 10:15 AM, Game_Knot said:

I dont recommend using this exploit but you can actually get unlimited skill points from those skill books by reading them and then quickly pushing drop it ..... Pick it up again and rinse and repeat.

I tried it this morning, works like a charm... together with the unlimited money that's rather game-breaking lol.

Guess Supreme Jerk will be a cake walk if you can just spam rockets :P

Update: Patch 1.07 is now live.

I will test later if those exploits still work, until then make sure to cancel the update if you want to use them.

Just checked, both exploits are still working on patch 1.07

Edited by dernop

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2020 at 2:59 AM, dernop said:

Update: Patch 1.07 is now live.

I will test later if those exploits still work, until then make sure to cancel the update if you want to use them.

Just checked, both exploits are still working on patch 1.07

A patch is coming, Antique Appraiser has been appropriately balanced says don't know for the skill books 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stormwarrior90 said:

A patch is coming, Antique Appraiser has been appropriately balanced says don't know for the skill books 

1 hour ago, Game_Knot said:

Just tested and you can still do the skill book exploit on patch 1.08 and Antique Appraiser perk has been adjusted so selling scrap doesn't work with it anymore.

thanks for letting us know! i updated the OP.

guess you could still try to save-scum the money exploit by using your non-scrap junk. would potentially take ages, given the loading times, tho'.

luckily i have a normal and a supreme jerk game ready to play with millions of dollars in it. always good to be prepared, i guess :P

will wait for some more patches until i play it, still kinda glitchy and slow. hopefully they continue fixing all that stuff.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/9/2020 at 2:31 PM, dernop said:

thanks for letting us know! i updated the OP.

guess you could still try to save-scum the money exploit by using your non-scrap junk. would potentially take ages, given the loading times, tho'.

luckily i have a normal and a supreme jerk game ready to play with millions of dollars in it. always good to be prepared, i guess :P

will wait for some more patches until i play it, still kinda glitchy and slow. hopefully they continue fixing all that stuff.

New Patch available 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 18.12.2020 at 6:06 AM, dernop said:

Thanks, but unfortunately i haven't touched the game in quite some time now

But if someone tests and confirms the skill book exploit, i will happily update the OP! :)

Exploit still works with the new patch.

Trophies should be fixed in the next upcoming patch if they keep their word.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Game_Knot said:

Exploit still works with the new patch.

Trophies should be fixed in the next upcoming patch if they keep their word.

Thanks for confirming, i updated the OP.

Kinda strange that this hasn't been fixed yet tbh ?

• 1 month later...
On 19.12.2020 at 9:57 PM, dernop said:

Thanks for confirming, i updated the OP.

Kinda strange that this hasn't been fixed yet tbh 1f601.png

Skill book exploit has now been fixed with yesterday's patch.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Game_Knot said:

Skill book exploit has now been fixed with yesterday's patch.

Dang. Looks like I've got to start fresh for trophy cleanup, since the “Dorsey Prisoner's Note” lore book for the Book Learnin' trophy was finally added in the 1.30 patch, but can only be acquired if you put two points into Leadership during character creation. Would've been nice to use this exploit to run through the game even faster.

Oh well, I've already completed the Supreme Jerk run. Guess I'll use the new Tourist difficulty and just speedrun the thing.