New PS5 Trailer But no price

DividedByMankind

11 hours ago, LordBilbanes said:

There's not going to be a price difference of $100.00 between the two editions.  The anti-consumer model should have identical hardware to the consumer friendly model aside from the loss of the disc drive.  The manufacturing cost of a disc drive is somewhere around $20.00 to $30.00 per unit on the scale Sony is manufacturing the machines.  Hence why I think the price difference will be somewhere between $30.00 to $75.00.  My guess is a $50.00 difference.

The more compact shell of the anti-consumer model might make a difference, too, but I doubt it would be anything more than negligible.

It is going to be 100€ of difference at the bare least actually, its not about manufacturing cost, but how much profit they’ll secure from the digital users by purchasing exclusively through the  store. 

100€$ is pretty much recovered in a few cods/fifas. I don’t think mass customers care about physical copies or reselling them, they’ll throw the full price anyway on the usual games and it’s more comfortable from home, ready to play at 00:00.

That huge difference will brilliantly secure a lot of digital only consoles, it’s pretty much a short-medium term win for Sony. 

One problem with the inflation argument is that although we can say that 400 USD back in 2013 is worth however much more now, very few people have seen a wage increase in line with inflation since then! I’d argue that 400 back in 2013 is worth effectively the exact same in terms of real spending power today. 

Charging $600 would be a terrible move even in the best of circumstances. Combine that with the fact that people already aren't going to be happy about next-gen games apparently costing $70, and on top of that, we've got the pandemic and everyone struggling just to get by. I would hope for $400, and I'd even be willing to do $500, but any more than that, and it's a recipe for failure. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LordBilbanes said:

There's not going to be a price difference of $100.00 between the two editions.  The anti-consumer model should have identical hardware to the consumer friendly model aside from the loss of the disc drive.  The manufacturing cost of a disc drive is somewhere around $20.00 to $30.00 per unit on the scale Sony is manufacturing the machines.  Hence why I think the price difference will be somewhere between $30.00 to $75.00.  My guess is a $50.00 difference.

The more compact shell of the anti-consumer model might make a difference, too, but I doubt it would be anything more than negligible.

Sony would likely be willing to make a bigger loss on disc-less hardware knowing they’ll make it back and more through digital purchases and killing the second hand market longer term.

58 minutes ago, N1NJ4_V4MP1R3 said:

One problem with the inflation argument is that although we can say that 400 USD back in 2013 is worth however much more now, very few people have seen a wage increase in line with inflation since then! I’d argue that 400 back in 2013 is worth effectively the exact same in terms of real spending power today. 

I don’t understand why people would bring up the inflation. PCI is calculated based on a bunch of goods and services that is representative of a citizen usual “basket”. They are weighted based on how much they are purchased, which means some categories and items weight (%) a lot more, like basic needs and essential food, that actually are the ones that vary the price the most (getting higher mostly).

Just by understanding this you know how useless it is to be used on videogames. For starters I dont even think videogames or consoles are taken into the PCI calculation (yet), I may be wrong though, but even if they are, they would weight .. 2-3%, more for videogames but we are talking consoles.

3% of 28% (cumulative rate since 2006) is barely 0,84%, which is a few dollars (500$ up to 504$) increase. This is a pretty fast example and it’s obviously theory but works to represent what I’m trying to say.

I'm waiting for Sony to drop the console and THEN announce the price at launch. This next-generation hype-train has been an absolute fail for both Sony and Microsoft. We are too close to launch to STILL NOT KNOW THE PRICE OR RELEASE DATE of either console. ?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BlackTorito said:

It is going to be 100€ of difference at the bare least actually, its not about manufacturing cost, but how much profit they’ll secure from the digital users by purchasing exclusively through the  store. 

100€$ is pretty much recovered in a few cods/fifas. I don’t think mass customers care about physical copies or reselling them, they’ll throw the full price anyway on the usual games and it’s more comfortable from home, ready to play at 00:00.

That huge difference will brilliantly secure a lot of digital only consoles, it’s pretty much a short-medium term win for Sony. 

And yet Craigslist, Ebay, and Gamestop still exist.

And yet most publishers still stay physical game sales are higher than their respective digital game sales.(I am not talking about digital revenue from all sources)

Selling a digital console or a physical one is just that, a console sale.Sony has no idea how many games or services any particular person will get after buying either console.

The difference in price will just be about the how much the BluRay drive would go for at retail, ie, after markup.

55 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

And yet most publishers still stay physical game sales are higher than their respective digital game sales.(I am not talking about digital revenue from all sources)

Selling a digital console or a physical one is just that, a console sale.Sony has no idea how many games or services any particular person will get after buying either console.

The difference in price will just be about the how much the BluRay drive would go for at retail, ie, after markup.

What did you expect, erradicate something like takes a lot of time, we still use physical money too.

I’m just pointing most people won’t care to have a digital only console, and that will push them onto Playstation Store exclusively.

Of course Sony has customer behavior prediction charts, why would they care to release a digital console now if not. 50$ is pretty bland, nobody is going to risk for that low, 100$ on the other can secure most deals.

6 minutes ago, BlackTorito said:

What did you expect, erradicate something like takes a lot of time, we still use physical money too.

I’m just pointing most people won’t care to have a digital only console, and that will push them onto Playstation Store exclusively.

Of course Sony has customer behavior prediction charts, why would they care to release a digital console now if not. 50$ is pretty bland, nobody is going to risk for that low, 100$ on the other can secure most deals.

I don't know what to expect with that. I haven't tried to eradicate functional and practical things.

However, being a part of the consumer base that utilizing both used and new physical media I don't appreciate any company's attempt to complete remove those options across the board.

The day consoles are digital-only is the same day I deal with digital only crap on PC.

On 2.9.2020 at 7:35 PM, TJ_Solo said:

Gamestop is dead and gone here in Norway. I never bught a realease title from Gamestop. They expected you to pay (699)nok. Which is about 70$ for a game.

And sometimes 749, which is about 75$ for a release title,  when other shops in norway take 548 for a release title, which is about 54$ and then gamestop became cry babies here that no one bought games from them, and closed all shops?