Letting people hunt trophies for you

pineapplerobbie

Trophies have always been an added extra for me. I don't let a trophy list turn me off a game. Say for example there's a game I've been wanting to play for months since its announcement, but then the trophy list pops and it's primarily online, but I'm more interested in the single player side of things. That's why I'm not to fussed if my overall completion doesn't shift too much in a positive direction. I enjoy platinuming games. Be it getting some longevity out of a great game or cleaning up something that I'm close to, but it will never be a "no buy" factor for me. 

My very first platinum, the original Uncharted, I actually finished that game before trophies were a thing. I platinumed it after they had been patched in, back in good ol' 2009, solely because I really, really enjoyed that game a lot

I can understand completionist using alt accounts to mainly a near 100% profile. I can completely understand the self satisfaction of having such an account, but I just wouldn't feel right or even satisfied if some of those trophies were completed by someone I paid to do it for me

Edited by SnowStorm
General edit
  • Like 3

I like to hunt trophies because I like to climb in country ladder even tho I'm falling down now because I am not hunting as much anymore. But it's more about that 'gotta catch'em all' mentality I somehow managed to get from WoW days when they introduced achievements. Devs lay out challenges and I try to beat them and trying not to be beaten by a game. Also going for trophies gives me more bang for my buck as I spend more time in game as well as force myself to improve my skill when going for more difficult trophies. 

Nowdays I just do trophies for games I really like and just enjoy other games casually as I'm trying to reduce my ever-growing backlog of games.

• Like 1

I cannot find satisfaction in that.

Even if I'm just one or two trophies left for a platinum and I lack the skill to get it, i.e. Challenge 6 from Vanquish or Golden League from SFV, I'd rather be at 80-90% without a platinum. I'd rather look at the 80-90% that is mine, that look at a platinum that didn't take my effort but someone else's.

Some people are quite completionist though and will do everything available to get round numbers and a fancy platinum trophy.

Edited by Ekir
  • Like 3

Can someone help clear my backlog? hahaha....I can do it, I just don't got the time. lol (I kidding) Someday! someday I will finish all that I bought, hopefully I won't go wild with PS5, cause shit, all those Ps3 games is going to be buried.

But I think the point is very simple op, to just feel good, feel completed even if it means lying to themselves they got it, they earned it. And unless they tell it to the world, anyone who just look at their profile would think they did it and they could brag.

I'd be more than happy to complete some games for people for money, if only I had the skill to complete a game that people would be willing to pay for. ?

I think a lot of people like the idea of having a 100% completion rate profile with some really rare platinum's spread throughout. Hence why you see a lot of talk of people using alt accounts to test out games first.

For me personally, I like having an accurate picture of what I've completed and where I've failed.

Edited by AusLeviathan
  • Like 4

While i do say i'm happy to get some help once in a while like being carried through all advanced coop missions in RDR to get gold (found this random guy by pure chance but wow he was good) and that i joined lots of boosting sessions to get online trophies i'm too much a scrooge to pay money to get trophies in general. Only exception was Fifa 17 for which i paid to skip hours of grinding coins to boost one trophy. But i do like to play games and get as many trophies as possible nowadays. I play a lot with friends online coop games and there we help ourselves. I.e. i was carried through mission 1 of Sniper Elite 4 on Authentic+ Difficulty but played 2 missions solo and the rest (5) with my friend together :)

1 hour ago, Ekir said:

I cannot find satisfaction in that.

Even if I'm just one or two trophies left for a platinum and I lack the skill to get it, i.e. Challenge 6 from Vanquish or Golden League from SFV, I'd rather be at 80-90% without a platinum. I'd rather look at the 80-90% that is mine, that look at a platinum that didn't take my effort but someone else's.

Some people are quite completionist though and will do everything available to get round numbers and a fancy platinum trophy.

My feelings exactly! I wish I had the Titanfall 2 platinum, but I'll happily leave it sitting at 98% or whatever it's at rather than have someone else do Becomes The Master for me. I earn all of my trophies myself and that means I'll never have a perfect 100% profile because I'm simply not skilled enough to get every single trophy. But that's ok because it's all MY gaming history and accomplishments, no-one else's.

• Like 2

Considering we live in an age where many gamers do anything except actually play games (watch other people play, follow personalities and parrot their interests/opinions, criticize games they've never played, etc)... I can't say I'm surprised some "trophy hunters" have adopted a similar approach.

It's not about actually playing games, it's about putting forth the least amount of effort possible to be a part of whatever social scene interests them.

3 hours ago, AusLeviathan said:

For me personally, I like having an accurate picture of what I've completed and where I've failed.

This was kinda the same for me when I did the trophy thing.  I wasn't terribly concerned about platinum's or completion (though I did try for it), I just wanted my profile to be an accurate representation of my gaming "career".  Which frustrated me as a few older PS3 games weren't represented, nor anything before that generation obviously.  Which is why I bailed on trophies and went all in on a physical collection of games. :) 

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 2

Puzzling.  I can't imagine looking at a game and knowing I didn't earn the trophies myself.  I mean, what is the reason for playing games?  I've got some games I'll never finish, but to have someone else do them?  Never.  Now, I'd be interested if someone wanted to go to the DMV for me, pick up some stuff at Costco or mow my lawn, now that makes sense. :hmm:

I have been approached by people wanting me to do trophies for them (unbelievable, really), which makes you wonder what is the real reason they are approaching people?

13 hours ago, A_Tennis_Giraffe said:

My feelings exactly! I wish I had the Titanfall 2 platinum, but I'll happily leave it sitting at 98% or whatever it's at rather than have someone else do Becomes The Master for me. I earn all of my trophies myself and that means I'll never have a perfect 100% profile because I'm simply not skilled enough to get every single trophy. But that's ok because it's all MY gaming history and accomplishments, no-one else's.

I genuinely believe you can get that Titanfall 2 platinum. 

It is hard but it's still possible. You just wallslide nonstop, chuck grenades and do double jumps in the final third of the gauntlet before sliding through the finish line.

• Like 1

Because some start a game expecting a certain difficulty to be doable, and when they get too much stressed, they don't want to finish the hunt but they still want the trophies so...
I have some lame trophies to do, but I really don't want to because its too boring or frustrating, so I can very easily understand the appeal. But I feel like if I do it I'll be cheating myself. I want to have a perfect 100% account with some legit good/hard games, but I do it mostly for my personal satisfaction.

Edited by Mui-Desu
  • Like 1

I've had a few messages, some with hilarious stories to try and make me feel bad for them lol. I ignore them, don't even respond with a 'no' since I'm sure the kind going around begging for people to do things for them are entitled enough to argue with you for refusing.

One dude told me his son or brother or something started a game on his 100% account without his knowledge and he was devastated and really wanted his completion back. I can't remember if he actually even offered me any money for it in the message so... I had a scumbag as well as cheap skate xD Dude did get the trophies not too long after with a pretty quick completion time which seems suspect, guess he found someone ;)

I got a lot of requests when I finished Doom 2, know couple friends who had the same when they completed it too.

I like the ones where they're like 'I was admiring your amazing trophies and...', kissing my ass isn't going to get what you want xD but I'll take the free ego boost thank you.

I don't see the point, a fake account just seems silly to me. Trophy communities are so niche it's not like you're going to get fame and recognition for boasting that you have 1 hard platinum trophy. I would hate looking at my own list and seeing something that doesn't belong, something I haven't actually done. I like that these days trophies and achievement can exist as like some kind of representation of your gaming life over the years, you played this, beat that, did that thing, didn't do that thing etc. what's the point in one that's false and doesn't represent you. But hey, in the days of social media where everyone's trying to falsly portray themselves as the perfect human being at all times I guess I'm not surprised.

1 hour ago, JohnCenaSong- said:

But hey, in the days of social media where everyone's trying to falsly portray themselves as the perfect human being at all times I guess I'm not surprised.

Today’s generation of college aged kids already have piss poor skills in interpersonal communication, or any communication for that matter. A lot of them can’t even fucking text message right. 

It all started with MySpace, and things have gotten progressively worse since then. 

It literally amazes me how well lot of Baby Boomers talk. Whereas a bunch of us have trouble keeping conversation either in person or online for more than five minutes. For the kids over a decade younger than me, yeah. Rather embarrassing. 

Everybody is fucking fake, going down to trophy hunting profiles. 

I miss the early 2000s.

Edited by Spaz

3 hours ago, Spaz said:

That isn't a competition. That just tells me you got a lot of disposable income and you're going for platinums simply because of the numbers. Not because the games held your interest, regardless of difficulty.

I know I've always felt that people tend to either have money to buy games or time to play them and typically not both.  I do get that, I've bought some DLCs that give stuff to make a game easier so I didn't have to deal with more tedious grinding plenty of times.   I just think there is a ton of difference between players who buy DLC that makes a game easier and players who buy trophy unlocks.  The only thing worse than that are the people with custom firmware who use it to cheat plats in a bunch of games they didn't even buy.

Just now, ladynadiad said:

I know I've always felt that people tend to either have money to buy games or time to play them and typically not both.  I do get that, I've bought some DLCs that give stuff to make a game easier so I didn't have to deal with more tedious grinding plenty of times.   I just think there is a ton of difference between players who buy DLC that makes a game easier and players who buy trophy unlocks.  The only thing worse than that are the people with custom firmware who use it to cheat plats in a bunch of games they didn't even buy.

I completely understand people who don't buy DLC. Especially when they just want to move on to the next game that they're interested in playing. Being a completionist, I feel that I am sort of entitled to do the DLC. I get more satisfaction out of being one of a select few who 100 percented something as opposed to getting the 'participation trophy'.

When you are that high of a rank on the leaderboards I feel you have both. I think someone said that Hakoom plays an average of 10 - 15 hours a day trophy hunting. That is just not feasible for me at all, plus that is very unhealthy and your chances of carpal tunnel syndrome are much more likely. There will always be someone with more time and money on their hands... as well as someone who is more skilled than you are. I like to complete games that I had interest in playing, sometimes I like to challenge myself which I did with OlliOlli2: Welcome to Olliwood and upon getting the platinum I got great satisfaction.

The people with custom firmware are hackers. There are still trophy hunters who use homebrew software on their PS Vita to get custom timestamps for games, either because they don't have the skill to complete a game or they just don't feel like playing the game the legit way. Thankfully the Cheater Removal Team on this website does an alright job in tracking down those guys and flagging them for suspicious timestamps.

23 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Today’s generation of college aged kids already have piss poor skills in interpersonal communication, or any communication for that matter. A lot of them can’t even fucking text message right. 

It all started with MySpace, and things have gotten progressively worse since then. 

It literally amazes me how well lot of Baby Boomers talk. Whereas a bunch of us have trouble keeping conversation either in person or online for more than five minutes. For the kids over a decade younger than me, yeah. Rather embarrassing. 

Everybody is fucking fake, going down to trophy hunting profiles. 

I miss the early 2000s.

I tend to enjoy your commentary but I disagree with this. I teach university in Canada and at least here I meet rather articulate college students all the time. Sure, there are some that get in who can’t string a sentence together but that isn’t the majority, in my experience. So I’d avoid the sweeping claim since reality tends to be nuanced and a lot more complex.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, LoveInHell said:

I mean... on your part its awesome cause its quick cash, lol. On their part though: LAME!

Is it quick cash? I remember someone else posting that they were offered 20 dollars to plat a 10 hour game. That is 2 bucks an hour...it really isn't worth it.

I think if you are going to do this for someone you should charge them a decent rate. I mean you hire a plumber or a mechanic because you cannot do the job yourself and they charge upwards of $100 an hour. I think if someone wants you to earn trophies for them it should be at least $20 an hour.

• Like 1