Letting people hunt trophies for you

pineapplerobbie

1 hour ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Is it quick cash? I remember someone else posting that they were offered 20 dollars to plat a 10 hour game. That is 2 bucks an hour...it really isn't worth it.

I think if you are going to do this for someone you should charge them a decent rate. I mean you hire a plumber or a mechanic because you cannot do the job yourself and they charge upwards of $100 an hour. I think if someone wants you to earn trophies for them it should be at least $20 an hour.

I don't know what the going rates are, but usually when this is being asked for it's a couple of harder trophies that they lack skill to get and it would be played on their account to get the trophies. If the payee has PS Plus and uploads the saves, then it would have a save closer to where the trophy can be earned.  To give an example, in a game like Ys Origin where many players have trouble with the nightmare boss rush trophy, if played on a save where everything is unlocked it only takes an hour to unlock the trophy for me, and more skilled players can easily do it in less time. 

7 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Is it quick cash? I remember someone else posting that they were offered 20 dollars to plat a 10 hour game. That is 2 bucks an hour...it really isn't worth it.

I think if you are going to do this for someone you should charge them a decent rate. I mean you hire a plumber or a mechanic because you cannot do the job yourself and they charge upwards of $100 an hour. I think if someone wants you to earn trophies for them it should be at least $20 an hour.

Or you can just go to a trophy service where they charge a few hundred bucks for Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, because it’s a 100+ hour platinum.

10 hours ago, PalaceOfLove706 said:

I tend to enjoy your commentary but I disagree with this. I teach university in Canada and at least here I meet rather articulate college students all the time. Sure, there are some that get in who can’t string a sentence together but that isn’t the majority, in my experience. So I’d avoid the sweeping claim since reality tends to be nuanced and a lot more complex.

I can agree with you. But I am definitely inclined to think that social media as a whole has warped their minds.

I was just happy with going on MySpace back in 2003 - 2006 because many of us had to go to a desktop computer to access the website. Those flip phones from the early 2000s had too small of a screen and the resolution was terrible, meaning you probably had to look at something that looked like crap. Text messaging was using the numpad, which was far slower and more tedious.

Today these college kids practically have their smartphones with them 24/7 so they try to be the perfect embodiments of themselves while catering to popular stereotypes, even going down to having a good looking trophy hunting profile because I can definitely imagine a couple of them out there do trophy hunting.

When I took summer courses at my college last year a bunch of kids were in the back text messaging each other. You paid this much money to sign up for a college level class and you're dicking around with a smartphone that you probably paid $400 - 600 for.

12 hours ago, JohnCenaSong- said:

I got a lot of requests when I finished Doom 2, know couple friends who had the same when they completed it too.

I'm guessing you do your trophy hunting on another account because I don't even see one trophy earned in that game. Doom 2, the old school FPS from the 1990s, with a hard as nails Nightmare Co-op mode that didn't need to be there.

• Like 2

I really do not see a problem with people doing this anymore. I would not let other people do it for me, even though I would be lying if I said I hadn't at least once thought about accepting an offer of someone wanting to do a game for me that I can't finish on my own, as it would get my completion rate back up, but I want my trophy list to be a representation of what I have achieved or, if it has to be, of what I was unable to achieve, with all the good and bad that comes with it. That being said, people doing each others trophies is not a problem, I mean, just take a good look at the trophy hunting community as a whole. Even ignoring all the people stacking 5+ stacks of the same shit excuse of a game for cheap masses of bling, things like team accounts or blatant cheating, basically every single legal trophy hunter plays somewhat dirty to get trophies, and I obviously include myself there too. Boosting sessions, using available exploits in a game, profitting from convenient bugs, using guides, turbo controllers, rubber banding controllers, intentionally getting carried in multiplayer, the list goes on and almost every trophy hunter has at least done one of these questionable things, most have done several of them, so it is not like people doing trophies for each other are defiling an otherwise pure community.

Hell, if the money was decent I would gladly do a plat for someone, especially if I enjoyed the game anyway, as getting paid to do more of something I enjoyed sounds like an amazing deal. Sadly, due to me not really completing too many hard games, I do not even get these kinds of offers. Most people just ask for tips and tricks on games, hoping to get an easier way through an inconvenient plat journey, I had these kinds of questions pop up in my message box a few times even after completing fairly average games for some reason. Let the people do what they want, any credibility for trophy hunting is breathing with iron lungs at this point anyway.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nighcisama said:

Sadly, due to me not really completing too many hard games, I do not even get these kinds of offers.

Mein Freund it appears you are more qualified for these arrangements than other participants in this thread.

I wish my rarity average (37.16%) was as low as yours (33.12%).  Your dedication is not unnoticed. 

Edited by pogo_loco
Tone
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Spaz said:

I'm guessing you do your trophy hunting on another account because I don't even see one trophy earned in that game. Doom 2, the old school FPS from the 1990s, with a hard as nails Nightmare Co-op mode that didn't need to be there.

I don't really trophy hunt at all to be honest but yes this is a secondary account, I initially made this just to help my main finish up something in Driveclub because I didn't know anyone who had the game. After that I oddly liked peoples reactions to the name so I started using it for multiplayer games occasionally. Eventually I pretty much 'retired' this account and just used it for signing up and commenting here. I still find it hilarious when people comment assuming this is my main account though xD this community is so obsessed with stalking/criticising profiles of people who make a post on this forum that when they do it to me and don't realise it's a blatant alt I find it hilarious! But I guess it's just another thing about modern discussions these days on the internet in general, people want rather try to discredit the individual person making the comment so they dig into their history or something rather than debate or discuss the actual points they made.

Agree that Doom 2 nightmare coop is an odd inclusion, especially because it's local only. Taking on a difficult coop challenge is one thing but when it's local it seriously limits the people you can play with and I don't know about you but I don't really even know anyone who plays games in my personal life these days (at least, not anyone competent). I ended up doing it solo with a second controller just sitting there idle and whilst it's nowhere near as hard as people made out its certainly kinda frustrating because it's designed for coop. That level near the end with the end level dash up the hill is quite luck based solo because you're shot at from all angles at the end of the level by hitscan enemies who are near the the start which means they will have all definitely respawned during your run of the whole level and since you have no coop partner to go back and clear them for you they become guaranteed damage to sponge. You can go from full health and armour to dead in a bad run and theres nothing you can do but run through it and hope for the best since you can't dodge hitscan enemies and you can't sit there and fight them there either.

It was wrong of me to jump to conclusions.  I apologize.  In my defense:

1.  A previous post asserted fake accounts were silly, so I didn’t anticipate a secondary account.

2.  Each of these entries is linked to the poster’s PSN profile.  One click isn’t much digging.

3.  I wasn’t criticizing profiles.  I was responding to claims published in this thread.

4.  Never having received such a request, I was curious about the accomplishments of those said they had.  My disappointment simmered over.  My mistake.

I love trophies but in over 50 profiles between Xbox and Playstation, I have only ever been successful in my personal goals only once. 

I recently used this share play feature for the first time a couple of weeks back and its a testament to the guys at tech who made this possible for SONY. But I could never pay for a trophy or 100% to be unlocked for me. A little help, yes. But buying your completions, thats seems even weirder than mt's.  

12 hours ago, JohnCenaSong- said:

snip

Trust me I’ve gotten this treatment in full on Facebook and Twitter. People judged me for stupid shit because of how my profiles looked. Then when you talked politics they pull out the cards and make stupid assumptions. 

I got a few haters on this website, because I generally tend to be loud, with some even hitting the Ignore button. 

In today’s political climate, we criticize other people and their profiles just because. It’s the world we live in.

As for DOOM 2, that’s the one trophy I have left for the platinum. But it’s so fucking frustrating because not only is it greatly unfair, the screen isn’t big enough because it’s in fucking local co-op! Then one of the update files made it to where you can’t even pause the game even when on the menu. So imps with their fireballs kill me when I want to change a setting. 

For such an old game that is an all time classic, this trophy completely kills the fun.

• Like 1

There's currently a trophy service on eBay that charges a ridiculous amount of money in exchange for platting a game through your account. The price ranges from $50-$100 depending on the game at hand, for example, the platinum for Mortal Kombat 11 is currently priced at $85 whereas a more challenging game like Super Meat Boy is priced at $120.

It's the completionist and perfectionist mentality, as some people and type A personalities just can't cope with having 99% completion and would probably do anything to get that last 1%. If they can't themselves, then they pay. I know people who just don't quit until things are perfect, so it is the same for people who would go so far as to pay others to get trophies for them that they either failed to get or can't be bothered to get. 

I tend to get annoyed if I can't get the plat, sulk for a few days and then get over it and move on. I only aim for platinums in games I like and games where the platinum is possible for my skill level (games with 8 or 9/10 difficulties are of course out of the question for me to bother). The reason I trophy hunt is the sense of achievement and satisfaction it gives, and it feels like I got my money's worth out of the game. I don't have many plats, but I do try where possible especially with JRPGs. 

As a side note, if I were to pay for someone to get trophies for me, I would definitely pay for FFX to get that lightning dancer and chocobo trophies. I just repeatedly fail. Also I would pay for KH BBS platinum, as some of the trophies are really difficult. I could only get just above half of the trophies. 

I don't really have a dog in this fight. I have never paid for a trophy and I have never accepted money from anyone to achieve a trophy for them. I have been asked in the past to obtain trophies for others. But, I always decline. I have no problems helping you in a co-op game but I think you cross the line when you are logging into their account and playing a game. At the same time, I completely understand. If you want to make some side money getting trophies for others. That is up to you. However, if you are paying for trophies, now you have tainted your trophy list. At least in my mind. But truth be told, its none of my business or anyone else for that matter. Just don't brag about a difficult trophy you have if you paid someone else to achieve it. 

Hey thanks for the answers everyone, I appreciate it. As for the few who asked me what games i was asked to do, so far i have had people ask to do bloodborne, dark souls 3, doom 2016, wolfenstein the new order and crash team racing nitro fueled. I don’t however get why, as these games are really not that difficult to platinum.

I can understand that some people just want to keep their completion rates as high as possible, however i could never be satisfied by a high completion rate if I didn’t earn it myself

Also why is there some guy ranting about college kids, please just keep those things to yourself

(no I do not know how I reply to someone directly lol sorry)

Also for the ones who asked if it would be worth the money. The answer is no. Always no. These people would be willing to pay you like 20 bucks to do a 40 hour platinum. I might as well just go to a local bar and try and find some coins on the floor and still earn more /hour then I ever would platinuming games for other people

Edited by pineapplerobbie
  • Like 1

On 13/09/2020 at 1:06 AM, pineapplerobbie said:

Also for the ones who asked if it would be worth the money. The answer is no. Always no. These people would be willing to pay you like 20 bucks to do a 40 hour platinum. I might as well just go to a local bar and try and find some coins on the floor and still earn more /hour then I ever would platinuming games for other people

Yeah I've noticed that, whenever they offer money it always works out considerably less than minimum wage. Now sure if you're a speedrunner or you just really fancy completing the game again for fun then it probably could be worthwhile getting a bit of cash on top for something you may have essentially done already. But otherwise... Cmon...

I would never do it anyway, but if I did, I'd at least charge by the hour and I'm certain no one would be willing to pay that way since bigger games would cost them a small fortune xD

5 hours ago, JohnCenaSong- said:

Yeah I've noticed that, whenever they offer money it always works out considerably less than minimum wage. Now sure if you're a speedrunner or you just really fancy completing the game again for fun then it probably could be worthwhile getting a bit of cash on top for something you may have essentially done already. But otherwise... Cmon...

I would never do it anyway, but if I did, I'd at least charge by the hour and I'm certain no one would be willing to pay that way since bigger games would cost them a small fortune xD

But think about it. there are loads of rich idiots out there that just throw their money away at games especially the mobile ones. if you could snagged one of those guys. and charge them by the hour. even 5 bucks and hour. the right game could easily net you 500 bucks.....if someone whats to waste that kinda money and can....i volunteer as tribute.

I have never been asked to complete games for people (thankfully) but I am aware of trophy services. I think it's strange to pay someone else to obtain them for you when it should be a measure of what YOU complete within a game but I digress. :P 

I hunt trophies because it gives me extra incentive to do things that I might not have done on my own, they can be a fun although addicting past-time. 

Personally, i like trophy hunting because i like to 100% finish the games I play and enjoy. ?

The trophies are a good thing to tell you what you can achieve in the game, and sometimes it's thing you would not have think about and found that pretty fun.

So, I cannot understand why people are asking another person for playing for them, it completely the opposite of the purpose of gaming, maybe these peoples just like high numbers.?

On 03/09/2020 at 8:00 AM, pineapplerobbie said:

Hey guys,

Every now and then I get messages from other trophy hunters asking me to complete a game on their account in exchange for money or the games they have on their psn-account.  I mostly get asked this for some of the harder games i’ve completed, but i just don’t understand what the point of this is. How can you get any satisfaction from having these trophies if you didn’t even get them yourself. Is it just to show off? The entire point of trophy hunting for me is to have fun while playing games, and to challenge my skills by doing some of the platinums if I like the games I am playing. I’m not trying to attack people who do ask others to play games on their account, i guess i’m just wondering what their motivation is, or what they derive satisfaction from. What do you guys think? Why do you hunt trophies?

How much do you get payed for it?

• Like 1