NekoRave

delete thread

94 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, NekoRave said:

It is absolutely unethical and unacceptable and if you think it's fine, what would you do if it were only a week and you didn't have funding for it and GG 

 

I probably wouldn't buy it, and I'd buy or play something else instead? /shrug  Wouldn't be the first gaming related item I've missed out on...

 

I also feel like calling it "unethical" is a stretch. Gaming is not a necessity in our lives, it's their property, and they have no obligation to give you whatever you want whenever you want it.

Edited by Dreakon13
4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

its stuff like this that keeps Nintendo switching (pun intended) into 2nd to last place with Xbox.

 

I did preorder because its a "limited edition", however it will be released again without the 35th anniversary logo. Just like Mario Galaxy was. 

 

also wtf is up with this site and the enter key, ive used it on 3 phones, and it always closes the keyboard. Only on this site. Fuckin stupid.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, LegacyJKO09 said:

its stuff like this that keeps Nintendo switching (pun intended) into 2nd to last place with Xbox.

 

I did preorder because its a "limited edition", however it will be released again without the 35th anniversary logo. Just like Mario Galaxy was. 

 

also wtf is up with this site and the enter key, ive used it on 3 phones, and it always closes the keyboard. Only on this site. Fuckin stupid.

Lol, Nintendo is doing just fine this gen. The Switch has already sold 62 million units in just over 3 years and the system has three of the top 50 best selling games of all time (Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Animal Crossing and Super Smash Bros Ultimate).

 

And at least Nintendo is anti-censorship unlike Sony.

Edited by lordzeze
2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, lordzeze said:

Lol, Nintendo is doing just fine this gen. The Switch has already sold 62 million units in just over 3 years and the system has three of the top 50 best selling games of all time (Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Animal Crossing and Super Smash Bros Ultimate).

 

And at least Nintendo is anti-censorship unlike Sony.

nintendo doesnt have the guts to be edgy or change things up. Link vs Ganon forever. Mario vs Bowser forever. No new ideas. i own 2 switch but they collect a lot of dust. Luckily i want to play Sunshine so im in on this. 3D world too, but i unno. Nintendo really needs to quit playing with 720p/1080p. 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/4/2020 at 8:22 AM, Dreakon13 said:

 

I mean, that's a particularly negative spin on it.  You call it... that mess of words.  I call it a limited collector's copy of a few classic games.  You don't have to buy it, and even if you wanted to... the games are readily available for anyone who wants them and will be for another 7 months.

 

 

I don't see that kind of vitriol with LRG prints.

Nintendo planned something to be limited and openly stated as such. No different from the NES mini.


 

Quote

 

So, what happens if you can't purchase the game right now and want to buy it after March 31,


 

 

It will take you until March 2021 to either decide to get the game or get the money? 

Either way,one would think you have bigger issues in your life than a limited run game from Nintendo

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, LegacyJKO09 said:

nintendo doesnt have the guts to be edgy or change things up. Link vs Ganon forever. Mario vs Bowser forever. No new ideas. i own 2 switch but they collect a lot of dust. Luckily i want to play Sunshine so im in on this. 3D world too, but i unno. Nintendo really needs to quit playing with 720p/1080p. 

The hybrid system was a game changer and the Switch sales are proof of that. 

 

I'll agree with the graphics and I hope that the switch pro (which is all but confirmed at this point) next year will fix that. But the hybrid which makes the system unique is probably also what is limiting the graphics. But this seems to be an issue more with 3rd party games because games developed exclusively for the Switch still look great (Astral Chain, Super Mario Odyssey) 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/4/2020 at 5:28 AM, starcrunch061 said:

 

Maybe, but it doesn't make good business sense. If Nintendo's supply isn't filling demand, that's just a loss of profit for them. 

 

I understand a company limiting supply because they're scared of the current environment (and COVID-19 certainly fills such a bill), but Nintendo is known for limiting supply. If the old economics books are to be believed, this just forces people to look for alternatives, and let's be honest - people have been looking for alternatives to Nintendo for years now.

 

Nintendo has mostly been on their own since the Gamecube days.

 

They made the mistake of having the N64 console stick with cartridges, which made Konami, Capcom and Square Enix to jump ship over to the PlayStation. The Gamecube, while I enjoyed the selection of games felt like it was mostly for the exclusives. If you wanted variety, you picked the PlayStation 2. If you wanted decent multiplayer, you picked Xbox.

 

The Nintendo Wii and Wii U both felt like a gimmick. As somebody who loved and adored Nintendo since the early - mid 1990s, it is rather sad to see that they're still a bit behind when it comes to technology. For years they were practically far behind in the online gaming world, I mean you had to input a long ass code if you wanted to play Super Smash Bros Brawl with somebody.

 

The Switch has a good offering of Nintendo exclusives, but beyond those and a few indie games there is absolutely nothing to convince me I want to even buy a Switch. And with a new console generation on the horizon I feel Nintendo is going to be dragged even further behind.

 

I was a Mario fanboy, and to a certain extent I still am. Played the mainline Mario games on the NES, the SNES, N64 and Gamecube. Enjoyed my time with Super Mario Galaxy 1 + 2 on the Nintendo Wii. But getting a new console just for a small handful of games just isn't worth it to me.

 

The newest Smash Bros game and the newest Mario Kart is currently my only reason in getting a Switch.

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was a Nintendo fanboy, honestly. But their recent business moves makes me realize that they were always that awkward. Making their accessibility, data sharing and more other options that Microsoft and, for the obvious matter, Sony implemented very well during the late 2000s, shows that the Great N took other path in order to "avoid rampant competition". 

 

The Wii U as an evident risk taken for the sake to taunt the market for the Switch was an awful movement and I departed from them since then. Super Mario Galaxy is and forever will be one of my favorites and best video games of all time, but by no means I'll believe their FOMO approach just as they seem really desperate for something will naturally sell well. You can see all those conspiracy theories that say Nintendo already bought 1/3 of the stock in order to resell it to exorbitant prices (using accounts through internet markets). They've become greedy these last years since Iwata's pass out. 

 

53 minutes ago, lordzeze said:

Lol, Nintendo is doing just fine this gen. The Switch has already sold 62 million units in just over 3 years and the system has three of the top 50 best-selling games of all time (Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Animal Crossing and Super Smash Bros Ultimate).

 

And at least Nintendo is anti-censorship unlike Sony.

They aren't, actually. Their standards should have changed along the years, but it was one of the most censoring companies back in the day. No R-rated games on their systems, only first party games should be developed to maintain their philosophy and avoid any reference for graphical violence, nudes, religious imaginary and the list goes and goes. But personally, is something like a dick move even though. As they know the newest generations can now "feel" of how was the gaming in the late 90s, now they feel that can create this false sense of loyalty, thus rocketing their sales as they please. 

 

Pokémon Sword and Shield were my ticket to buy a Switch, but oh surprise. They didn't care and started to make exactly the same move as other companies have been doing over the years; despite Pokémon itself depends on other two mayor shareholders, this was a complete slap in the face of many players (but many of them did exactly what always do in the same instance). The companies have responsibility to this kind of business models, but the ultimate answer comes from us as players and consumers. 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So many trophy hunters suddenly pretending they care about old ass Mario games. Won't be getting the collection either way. I wish they didn't even bother with pure nostalgia baits, but I guess that's easy money, can't fault them for that. I'm 90% sure it will happen with Zelda too, so many port beggars for games that aren't even rare...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Xenoblast91 said:

 

 

They aren't, actually. Their standards should have changed along the years, but it was one of the most censoring companies back in the day. No R-rated games on their systems, only first party games should be developed to maintain their philosophy and avoid any reference for graphical violence, nudes, religious imaginary and the list goes and goes. But personally, is something like a dick move even though. As they know the newest generations can now "feel" of how was the gaming in the late 90s, now they feel that can create this false sense of loyalty, thus rocketing their sales as they please. 

 

Pokémon Sword and Shield were my ticket to buy a Switch, but oh surprise. They didn't care and started to make exactly the same move as other companies have been doing over the years; despite Pokémon itself depends on other two mayor shareholders, this was a complete slap in the face of many players (but many of them did exactly what always do in the same instance). The companies have responsibility to this kind of business models, but the ultimate answer comes from us as players and consumers. 

 

Um, where have you been this last couple years when Sony has been censoring third party Japanese games while Nintendo is allowing them on their system untouched.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, mecharobot said:

So many trophy hunters suddenly pretending they care about old ass Mario games. Won't be getting the collection either way. I wish they didn't even bother with pure nostalgia baits, but I guess that's easy money, can't fault them for that. I'm 90% sure it will happen with Zelda too, so many port beggars for games that aren't even rare...


Who fucking cares. People still play Pac Man on the PS4 and that predates Mario. 
 

So anything before the Gamecube is apparently pure nostalgia bait, right? 

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lordzeze said:

 

Um, where have you been this last couple years when Sony has been censoring third party Japanese games while Nintendo is allowing them on their system untouched.

Ah, I see! You're referring to that kind of censorship... I don't know much about it, but could it be related to region locked content? I've seen that cross-regional games is very common on PSN, so not really understand what you mean by that; my bad, sorry. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Xenoblast91 said:

Ah, I see! You're referring to that kind of censorship... I don't know much about it, but could it be related to region locked content? I've seen that cross-regional games is very common on PSN, so not really understand what you mean by that; my bad, sorry. 

 

It applies to all games released worldwide on Playstation systems. Here is one small article about it (https://www.siliconera.com/sony-reveals-the-existence-of-their-own-content-guidelines-for-ps4/). There was a lot written about it last year but it unfortunately seems like people have moved on from it now. I hardly see it being discussed anymore even though it is still a big issue. I remember reading at the height of it that some Japanese devs were considering only releasing their games on the Switch and forgetting about the PS4.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, lordzeze said:

 

It applies to all games released worldwide on Playstation systems. Here is one small article about it (https://www.siliconera.com/sony-reveals-the-existence-of-their-own-content-guidelines-for-ps4/). There was a lot written about it last year but it unfortunately seems like people have moved on from it now. I hardly see it being discussed anymore even though it is still a big issue. I remember reading at the height of it that some Japanese devs were considering only releasing their games on the Switch and forgetting about the PS4.

 

Thanks. This makes the turn tables wilder. Wasn't expecting this, huh. Without trying to touch the nerve, I see what Sony pretends here and TLOU 2 shows it nicely. Interesting topic to look upon. Anyway, the point still is relevant as Nintendo will surely sell a lot of this as their weird approach as themselves call like a "toy company". I mean, I was expecting that kind of merch (like the LEGO set up, t-shirts and all myriad of stuff) around 20 years ago when it was truly scarce and highly demanded, but now seems awkward, ridiculous and desperate to say the least. However, the 3D All-Stars bundle was something rumored, filtered and expected long way before anything like this happened, and may be that's exactly why they thrive for this marketing and business model. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/09/2020 at 7:59 PM, SuperSmexy500 said:

You have to remember a lot of people that are gonna be interested in this collection are kids, kids that never got a chance to play these games before because they were too young or hadn't even been born yet. There's gonna be plenty of kids that want this collection, but don't exactly have the pocket money for a £50/$60 laying around. Yeah, they could ask their parents, but how many scenarios do you think there's gonna be where a kid is told they have to wait for their birthday to get it, and their birthday happens to be in April or May? Good chance the parents and even the kid would be oblivious to the timed exclusivity, and then the kid is never gonna get a chance at playing these games unless their parents are willing to fork over £100 or whatever the scalpers are offering it for, or if Nintendo ever decides to re-list them, individually or not. This isn't just about being in a pandemic and people perhaps not having the money to not afford the collection for another 7 months (though that IS an issue and I don't think it should be downplayed at all. You don't know anyone else's situation), it's about the countless people that are gonna miss out due to Nintendo's greed, for whatever reason. And that is one of the many, many reasons why I can't defend Nintendo's decision in this in the slightest.

 

This is actually a good point. Nintendo themselves have acknowledged that the player demography for Animal Crossing: New Horizons has quite few children possibly because kids often get games for Christmas or for their birthday and maybe their birthday hasn't come around yet after the game released.
I don't interact with children often so I don't know how interested they'd be in "prehistoric" games like the ones bundled into Super Mario 3D All-Stars, but I'm sure fans of Mario at least would like to play the older titles.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

 

This is actually a good point. Nintendo themselves have acknowledged that the player demography for Animal Crossing: New Horizons has quite few children possibly because kids often get games for Christmas or for their birthday and maybe their birthday hasn't come around yet after the game released.
I don't interact with children often so I don't know how interested they'd be in "prehistoric" games like the ones bundled into Super Mario 3D All-Stars, but I'm sure fans of Mario at least would like to play the older titles.

 

I played most of the old Sonic games when I was a kid via those collections on Gamecube, as well as some other old Sega games on the PS2 collection. I remember being obsessed with Ecco the Dolphin for weeks until I finally managed to beat it, probably one of the hardest games I played as a kid. If I was fine playing "prehistoric" games back then, I imagine there's plenty of kids nowadays that would be excited to play the 3D All-stars games, especially considering they're not quite as aged as 16-bit era games. A large portion of Nintendo's fan-base is still kids after all.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Highly questionable. These are Mario games, which means they're Nintendo's own IP and they don't owe anyone any license fees. Let's hope this doesn't become a precedent for other companies to follow. Nintendo will likely have new Switch buyers after 31 March, so why not keep the games available digitally for them? They can only gain more money by doing that rather than encouraging scalpers. Dear New Switch buyer... you missed out on the digital release, sorry (not sorry)... now you pay God-knows-what to a scalper for a physical copy.

 

On 9/6/2020 at 9:37 PM, Spaz said:

Who fucking cares. People still play Pac Man on the PS4 and that predates Mario. 

True. I'd like to see Namco bring out Pac-Mania and Galaga '88. I also got into those Midway compilations on PS2 and PSP- Xybots is one of my favorites. I played the hell out of it on the PSP, along with 720° and Paperboy (LOL... you gotta love trashing the non-subscribers' houses). I don't care how old a game is... I'll try anything, and if I like how it plays, I won't ditch it.

Edited by RadiantFlamberge
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.