Do you try to keep the games you buy?

Dreakon139

Game Ownership  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Do you try and keep the games you buy?

• Yeah, I try to keep everything I buy. Like a collection!
    • No, I tend to trade in/sell games once I'm done with them.
    • Not applicable, I rent 90% of my games.

I've had my moments where I traded in games that I genuinely never intended to play again, or didn't like... but for the most part I like to keep the games I buy (so I don't buy many games anymore lol). I like when my trophy list correlates directly to the games I have in my possession. To some extent, I consider myself (in a minor way) a collector. I like to have the game discs, the manuals, the cases... all in near mint condition.

How about you? Do you try to keep the games you buy, or do you buy a lot of games just to try them and not really think twice about trading them back in after your done/get the platinum?

That depends, if the game has a lot of replay value like say, a sports game or a racing game i will probably not get rid of it for a long time. However, if the game is strictly singleplayer based and offers absolutely nothing to do after i've finished the campaign, i will sell it if i know that i will get a reasonable amount of money for it. Also if i just completely loathed the game i'll get rid of it to.

The thing is though that at least over here in Sweden, you don't get a lot of money if you trade in the games so oftentimes it's better to exchange it with a friend, if you have one that wants it that is, then to actually sell the game to a GameStop. That's why i have a crapload of old games just lying around not fullfilling any purpose what so ever. If i would've gotten more than the 2 bucks i will get for them, they would've been gone a long time ago but sadly, that's not the case.

There has only been 1 game I have traded in in my whole time gaming; and that was a shitty game called The Conduit for the Wii.

Other than that 1 game, I keep all my games and have every single one of them to this day...going all the way back to my NES games. Once I buy them, they are mine.

The thing is though that at least over here in Sweden, you don't get a lot of money if you trade in the games so oftentimes it's better to exchange it with a friend, if you have one that wants it that is, then to actually sell the game to a GameStop.

Nah, it isn't just in Sweden ille....what GameStop offers you for a trade in is so obnoxiously sad, I'd rather keep my games than basically give them to GameStop.

The thing is though that at least over here in Sweden, you don't get a lot of money if you trade in the games so oftentimes it's better to exchange it with a friend, if you have one that wants it that is, then to actually sell the game to a GameStop.

That's pretty much the way it is anywhere I think, though I've found a bit of success biding my time and waiting for some sort of "Pre-order Uncharted 3 and get 40% bonus on trade-ins". That's what I did in my one time in recent memory trading in games... if I'm going to get the game anyways, right?

I keep all my games and I buy games new 99% of the time because I like to have mine in as close to mint condition as possible. In fact, while I was rooting around in my game room today I found brand new, sealed copies, of Harvest Moon for the SNES and Final Fantasy VII (black label) for the PlayStation. My wife gives me grief for it, but I just point to her makeup collection and she stays quiet. B)

Parker

• Like 3

Nah, it isn't just in Sweden ille....what GameStop offers you for a trade in is so obnoxiously sad, I'd rather keep my games than basically give them to GameStop.

That's pretty much the way it is anywhere I think, though I've found a bit of success biding my time and waiting for some sort of "Pre-order Uncharted 3 and get 40% bonus on trade-ins". That's what I did in my one time in recent memory trading in games... if I'm going to get the game anyways, right?

Well, that's reasuring to know that for once Sweden isn't being cheaper then what's ethically possible, it's just GameStop :P

As for trade in bonuses i've never used a single one since it doesn't happen to often that i buy my games new at GameStop, i usually buy them at an electronic store or something since they're almost always cheaper there.

If I know I'm never going to play a game again I will trade it in. As CasualStorm said, trade-in prices in the UK are complete shite, you can be sure that it will go on the pre-owned shelf at more than double what you got for it (bearing in mind that you get more for trade-in than you do for cash). As much as I'd like to collect games, I don't see the point of a game just sitting there on my shelf when I can off-set some of the cost of the next one I want by trading it in. I try and buy on-line when I can as I've seen games for less than £20 and it's £40 in GAME (I got Deus Ex: Human Revolution LE for £18.99 new) but you know the bigger titles just won't be discounted that much and for the sake of £2-£3, I use my store credit (currently my store credit is being saved for a Vita)..

I keep every game I buy even though I would rather trade themselves in its just hard from me and sometimes not really worth it I don't really have a massive collection anyways games down under here in Aus are rather expensive compared to other countries.

Most of the time I keep them, either for posterity or for my kids to play in the years to come. I'll offload a handful of games every few months to friends to clear some rack space, but I never trade them in.

games.jpg

That's just console games this generation, most of them purchased in the last 2 years. I bought a launch model B/C Fat60 to play a dozen or so PS2 games, but I prefer to buy HD collections on PS3. My PC collection is in the thousands of cd's/dvd's, PSOne is around 50 games, PSN is roughly 100 games (+100's of DLC) and Steam is about 250 games.

@ PSXtreme_

• Like 1

I do a mixture of both. For the majority though I keep but if i have played a game like Resistance over 3x and got the platinum I tend on selling it. I keep games like Medal of Honor and Call of Duty....those are just a few examples.