Has someone of you quit trophy hunting after noticing you enjoy less the games? (it feels like a job sometimes)

Lezonidas

I did for a little but it was a job for me i was making platinum reviews on youtube of every game i platinumed eventually i had set a pace of one a week which is fine and dandy if you want to do nothing else ever. but after a long break and a more sustainable schedule of 1 every two weeks paired with this large headstart it feels much less like a job and much more like the hobby I love doing.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I've thought about giving them up several dozen times. There was a three month stretch last year where I was successfully able to give up on trophies. I beat a few games in the process whereas I would've been screwing around with trophies in a single game had I not quit. I'm trying to give them up again. I'm on day 2 of my journey to quit my trophy habit. I've beaten Life is Strange True Colors and played some of that Dwarves game I never would've tried due to the trophy list taking 3-400 hours and my only passing interest in the game. When you force yourself into any activity you don't want to do for dozens or hundreds of hours (farming, grinding, collectable hunting) it becomes tedious to hunt trophies.

I used to tell myself I just hunted trophies for something to do... but then I thought of all the things I would rather be doing than grinding away trophies and how many more games I could play in the same amount of time. Like I said I am on day 2 (which isn't long at all) but I'm hoping I can retire from trophies altogether from now on. 

• Like 2

Yeah..For several years after enjoying the golden era of ps plus and shorty after ps4 came out, I was mostly playing on pc whenever I had time to spare, but with the quarantine, I got addicted again. Went as far as to play games I hadn't touched in more than a decade in order to do as much as I could. It's tiresome /soul crushing indeed and not as fun as it used to be (speaking as an early 90's gamer), and needs some downtime from time to time. I'm currently going trough something like that after aimlessly trying to build the perfect house in Fallout 4 for a couple of months HA!.

Edited by DarthBleidd

If you take a look at my profile, you'll probably call me a liar, but I consider myself a semi-casual hunter. I play a lot, and plat a lot, but I also play games I know I'll never plat, and I rarely bother boosting unless I fall into an open session. I'll probably never finish BFV even though I'm only 1 trophy away, and I have a number of games that have taken me years to finish, because I just come back every now and then. I don't check trophy lists before buying games at all, and I'm fine buying games I can't or won't plat. On the other hand, I have a huge backlog, so I do tend to check guides before starting and optimize my playthrough to an extent. The longer the game, the more I consider that. I did a second run of Chasm because I didn't want to stack Hard and Mortal, but a 40-80 hour RPG will be planned ahead to avoid an extra playthrough. That's not strictly a trophy thing though. I've been that way since I could afford more than a couple games a year, and my backlog is still enough to make me cry!?

• Like 3

I slowed down realizing that it’s ok if I don’t get the plat for many games as gaming is meant for fun. The trophies are a added bonus. With my job and my daughter I play mostly at night for a few hours; but on my off days I’ll play a little longer while balancing out me working out and being with my daughter. Took me 10 years to hit 100 plats, but I’m perfectly fine with that. 

Not yet, but I'm planning to quit after I'll clear my PS4 backlog (15 games to go). Time for gaming is less and less and, tbh, being a completionist with a small amount of time for gaming is turning into a nightmare, I'd rather play more games up to the point I enjoy them, rather than wasting precious time on boring and tedious grinding/farming or useless and frustrating side content, designed just to make people rage. I'll still be a gamer though, as I've been since ages ago.

• Like 2

I started feeling this way, especially with the FIFA games which I hate with a passion but was a “free platinum” every year. Wasn’t even gonna get 22 but my pro clubs friends finally convinced me. 

Right now I’m just playing all the story-driven games I really want to play and never got the chance to. Just finished God of War which was a wonderful experience, then played Ghost of Tsushima because I loved the InFamous series from Sucker Punch and it didn’t disappoint. Playing Days Gone next and then I’ll play the remastered Mafia series. 

If trophy hunting starts feeling tedious and unenjoyable then, just go back to the roots of why you started playing games in the first place; to have fun and as a bonus get invested in a really good story.

• Like 1

You just need to have some discernment and rules for yourself. After a trophy hunting event at the start of last year where I platinumed games only to platinum them I made a rule of never platinuming a game I did not enjoy again. Also, if a game has insane grinding or is just unfun to platinum, I would advise giving it a pass, unless it's something you can do while, say, watching Netflix or whatever the fuck.

That being said, due to being disabled I have a fair amount of free time. If you're working all the time and barely have any time for games I would definitely say trophy hunting might not be a boon to your gaming life. For me it gives me motivation to keep going; otherwise things start to blend together. One thing I have learned is people generally like to feel like they're accomplishing something in their lives, and it's good to nurture that in your life wherever you can, even if it's something silly like building Minecraft computers or writing hundreds of thousands of words of fanfiction. Or collecting achievements in video games.

Edited by Darling Baphomet
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, RedDevil757 said:

Stacks and autopops put me off trophy hunting. Pay for platinum games completely stopped me hunting at all. Whole system is a joke now days. I’m just a gamer these days

Just gotta play to be the best version of your gaming self man.

Caring about other ppls mediocre standards won’t get you anywhere.

• Like 2

Might as well add my two cents to this. Totally get this and have given up trophy hunting multiple times. When it gets to the point where it feels like a chore rather than fun to do it becomes a big problem. Buying easy games to platinum, not buying games based off a trophy list, refusing to play other games because you need to finish this game first. Just a few examples as to why it can be toxic to do in the wrong mindset. Nowadays I still trophy hunt but I don't worry about getting 100% all the time and only if I feel it's worth getting, I don't bog myself with one game anymore and go to something else if I'm not feeling it, and most importantly I've stopped buying those trash easy platinum games as they ruin the fun of getting a platinum, I feel dirty everytime I do it and it looks cheap on my trophy list.
With that all said, I still struggle to just have fun at times and go back to old habits. It does feel like an addiction (it probably is with how many people struggle with it!) and it's hard to kick, but I've come to the conclusion that it's not worth doing if you're not having fun. It's simple but it's the truth. At the end of the day it's just videogames and they're meant to be enjoyed, not make you suffer.

• Like 1

Any trophy hunter that feels their passion/hobby has become a job may forget why they started trophy hunting in the first place: because they have an interest in video games to some degree. 

If games you play are repeatedly boring, maybe there are other genres to seek out or a break from gaming is necessary. And if these boring games are just being played for trophies, maybe gamers putting themselves through that should ask themselves if it’s truly worth it.

• Like 1

A lot of posts here. I can see why though as I find it to be a very good topic/question raised by the O.P. Trophy hunting has ruined gaming for me. Forever? I don't know, but it sure does seem like such is the case. I won't even play a game anymore unless there are trophies involved and will never touch the game again once I've acquired all of its trophies. Once upon a time I didn't mind playing the same old games just for the fun of it. Not anymore; not since 2012.

As for the trophies, I'm very specific with what I'm willing to tackle and what will make me ultimately pass on a game regardless that it looks cool and I wouldn't mind playing it otherwise. Examples include online multiplayer trophies, excessive grindy trophies and trophies that just sound like a straight up pain in the ass. I go out of my way to avoid games that include trophies like this. The INSANE amount of research that I pour into most game's trophy sets before I buy it or pass on it is just a tedious chore! This was something I never did nor had to worry about prior to trophy hunting. 

And of course, the tedious chore of unlocking all of a game's trophy set has really worn me thin over the years and I find that nowadays I'm doing less and less gaming as a result. Once upon a time I used to game/trophy hunt all day, from the moment I woke up until the time I went to bed. Now? I spend more time doing other things because I just don't really want to do it any longer. Today my gaming sessions per day aren't very long and some days I don't even game at all.

At first it was fun - I loved it! But I've burned myself out with it. To me it's nothing more but a tedious fucking chore that I hate... yet I keep doing it! Makes no damn sense at all, right, lol? I'm sure most have noticed by now on this site that I'm not very positive in my posts and rant quite a bit. I'm pretty sure most don't like me and actively avoid my posts because of it (besides a few dedicated "fans" I have that can never seem to help themselves and run their mouths to me ??) but I do believe I am the way I am because it's just  a true case of 100% burn out.

I don't like gaming anymore. I don't like trophy hunting anymore. Games are pointless to me if there are no trophies. Trophies are meaningless and are just pointless numbers next to a digital image. Yet I can't pry myself away from buying games to collect them. It's just a bizarre cycle that, to this day, I'm still trying to understand WHY I continue to do it!

• Like 4

I've stopped playing shovelware games like Ratalaika and such. It took the joy straight out of trophy hunting just playing 10% of a whole game to get the plat and then move on to the next.. I still play easy indie games and FMV games but no more 90%> plat games, but i will play My Name is Mayo 3 since that is a game that should be in every trophy hunters profile =D

But trophy hunting is still mostly fun, i started doing it because i got so much more value out of games. Most games today seem to have collectibles and trophies attached to them solely to artificially extend game time, that's not a trend i like. Will probably hunt trophies for the rest of my gaming career. Just not to the extent i used to.

2 hours ago, RedDevil757 said:

Stacks and autopops put me off trophy hunting. Pay for platinum games completely stopped me hunting at all. Whole system is a joke now days. I’m just a gamer these days

Well, you don't have to indulge just because others do. I make a point of avoiding games that are too easy unless they're particularly interesting to me, and I don't stack or autopop plats. You can keep your dignity even if others don't.

• Like 1

Trophy hunting does feel like a job sometimes. Games, even those I enjoy at first, are rarely fun all the way through to the platinum, and just become something to get over with. That's why, to get the platinum, it's important to value the sense of accomplishment over having fun.

I can never quit trophy hunting though. My completionist mindset towards trophy hunting originally came from a girl I met online while playing GTA IV, back in 2010. She said she never gives up on a trophy, no matter how hard it is. "If I'm going to do something, I'm going to be the best at it," she said on Facebook. And since I want to have something in common with her, for purposes of becoming her friend again, (she deleted me :( ), I decided I'm going to 100% pretty much every game I play, to become like her.

She has over 95% trophy completion, and so do I! If I can't be with her, I'm gonna be like her!

Edited by me_is_caveman

2 minutes ago, me_is_caveman said:

Trophy hunting does feel like a job sometimes. Games, even those I enjoy at first, are rarely fun all the way through to the platinum, and just become something to get over with. That's why, to get the platinum, it's important to value the sense of accomplishment over having fun.

My completionist mindset towards trophy hunting originally came from a girl I met online while playing GTA IV. She said she never gives up on a trophy, no matter how hard it is. "If I'm going to do something, I'm going to be the best at it," she said on Facebook. And since I want to have something in common with her, for purposes of becoming her friend again, (she deleted me :( ), I decided I'm going to 100% pretty much every game I play, to become like her.

She has over 95% trophy completion, and so do I! If I can't be with her, I'm gonna be like her!

That's the saddest thing I've read today.

Embrace the degeneracy of trophy hunting, guys. If it is no fun anymore, leave it, take a break or start doing more shorter sessions on specific stinky games, that have grindy requirements.

Either way, trophy hunting has its ups and downs.

• Like 3

I did feel like I was in too deep into the hobby. Where I felt like trophies had too much control on how I game. I eventually started to find myself having more and more of those "Why am I doing this? What's the point?" moments. I started to fully shift my perspective once I got a 3DS in 2016 and a Switch in 2017, and found myself having more fun than I had in years. I found myself setting goals and pursuing them without trophies, and the results were just as, if not more, satisfying. I later decided that I needed to fully reevaluate what I want out of trophy hunting, and I actually find myself enjoying trophy hunting more than I did before now that I've become a casual hunter. So I'm retired from hardcore/serious hunting. Primarily, I'll mostly stay within arms reach. I'll push myself if I really like the game, or get something more out of the pursuit (I still want to platinum Street Fighter V, in part because that requires me to actually get good at a fighting game). I don't really go out of my way to pick up a platinum, and I'll only buy a game if I'm actually interested in the game itself.

These days I'm a firm believer that trophy addiction is a thing, and I know some of you will say that's silly or even outright deny that's a possibility. Maybe even mock me. But it can get incredibly consuming, and I know I'm not the only one who feels the same way. I made a mistake in how I initially approached trophies back when they first launched, and I got swept up in it. These days, seeing the anger that comes from something extremely minor like PS5 Lost Legacy not having its own list/platinum or a game having online trophies is so heartbreaking because that use to be me. Even if I didn't post my frustrations on here or PST (where I still mostly frequent).

And I will say, as a side, I do lament this Participation Trophy/Junk Platinum era we're in (the latter term is a modification of Junk Wax/Slab from the sports card hobby). It's starting to get boring just how diluted things have become. It kind of feels like nearly every list is the same these days, and developers (at least AAA) have just given up trying.

Edited by BrilloHD
  • Like 4

Eventually I'd like to quit, or maybe just earn one plat year or so. Lately I've been mostly raising my completion-% and while that has been going smoothly, it's not really giving me the satisfaction it should. It's just too easy to add 50 unearned trophies to the list compared to earning equal or greater amount from the backlog. That's not a battle that can be won by any normal effort.  Sometimes I tell myself I'm just going to 100% this game, because I don't have anything else to do anyway, but at least a part of that is the game/trophy list taking away my energy to begin more fulfilling game journeys. For now, I'm just having low trophy goals and that should give me enough time for other games, but still wasting a couple weeks on some buggy PS3-game isn't a time well spent and that is a problem in the long run. I shouldn't even be wasting a day doing that.

• Like 1

Since I was kid I always tried to complete games at a 100% especially on PS2, so becoming a trophy hunter was a natural thing for me.

Unfortunately I've made the wrong decision to start over 3 times on PS3 so this made me lose a lot of precious time and forced me to plat several games multiple times, not to mention all the time I took breaks in between (I'm currently on another full month of break since my last trophy).

Anyway I still keep playing games for fun, most of times I play blindly my first run and come back later for trophies, or I play unobtainable games on alt accounts.

Right now I'm already mostly "retired" though, which means that I plan to clean up (most of) my PS3 and PS4 backlog eventually and as soon as I put my hands on a PS5 I will just play for fun 90% of the games while still getting trophies for few games I just love (R&C Rift Apart, GoW 2 and few more).

I have very little time to play now and gaming isn't my only hobby, besides I hate the fact trophies got so much devaluation over time because of stupid autopop, multiple stacks for shit cheap "games" etc, so I'm not even that much motivated to play dozens of hours for a good plat while others are getting dozens of platinums each day with little to no effort.

To each their own I guess.

• Like 2