Has someone of you quit trophy hunting after noticing you enjoy less the games? (it feels like a job sometimes)

Lezonidas

yes it feels like a job. 

203 plats in under 3 years, once i hit my goal im going to start a youtube channel to potentially grow a community of likeminded gamers, see how that goes. 

do some video diary platinum runs for Outlast 2 and Wolfenstein 2 and maybe call of the wild and kingdom come deliverance, so I do intend to work at it in different ways aswel. 

• Like 1

I haven't stopped trophy hunting but I've stopped caring about Plats, i just play the game and get whatever trophies i can get on my playthrough. Plats made getting through my ridiculous backlog an impossible task. Also getting stressed out because of a hard trophy or spending a ridiculous amount of time grinding for a trophy, nah not worth it. Move on. I'm enjoying games a lot more now. 

• Like 2

Good question. 

The Last two weeks, i played every day for around two Hours Diablo 2… Just to find a fu… Ring. Yesterday was the Day where i checked all my rings which i found. After that i thought:“ Wtf are u doing here? This is not fun anymore and this is not the way how you want to play…“

moments like this let me think about to quit Trophyhunting.

• Like 2

I posted earlier, but following up, for the majority of games I play, there isn't much difference between getting the platinum trophy, and finishing the game to 100%, which I would do anyway.

Sometimes there is a difference, and it adds to the fun of the trophies (e.g. I am finishing a run in Odallus using only the basic sword, something which has no in-game reward as far as I can tell, but is a worthy challenge). Sometimes, there is a difference, and it's dumb as hell (why, why, WHY do you have to defeat 10,000 enemies in Final Fantasy IX?). 

But most of the time, the plat and 100% correspond. The only real difference is that the plat gives a (relatively) permanent display that I actually completed the game to 100%. 

• Like 1

I'm still enjoying it, but I reckon when I hit the 200 mark it might become a bit more taxing, (currently in the 130's)

I just try to keep it interesting by playing games from different series, rather than say getting all the Bioshock platinums in a row. I also picked up some PS3 games as well recently like AC2 and Fallout 3, as I've never played a game from that series, and fortunately my PS3 still runs perfectly.

I also try to change genres (not as much recently as I had EA play for a month). But I would try to go like racing game, FPS game, adventure game, couple of indie games, then maybe a AAA title game, then a longer 50+ hour plat, then cycle back round haha. Saves you getting numb and bored of playing similar game types.

Finally I've still got a huge PS plus backlog so I don't feel like I'm wasting money by buying a brand new game to solely get a platinum. Like I haven't bought a brand new game since FIFA 17, and that was before I even got into trophy hunting. 

Edited by groomyboy
  • Like 1

I had that when I earned my....second platinum. My first thought that came through my empty head was....possibility to get addicted of it. XD. So I forget about it, lived my life and about 2 years later, I get platinum in Watch Dogs 2 and, and realized that I don't even have a need to push myself to plat every game. But sometimes when I look at profiles with literally every game platted, and asked myself:

"Do they really enjoy it, or they're a prisoner of their own passion?"

On 01/02/2022 at 11:27 PM, Baranov_925 said:

I had that when I earned my....second platinum. My first thought that came through my empty head was....possibility to get addicted of it. XD. So I forget about it, lived my life and about 2 years later, I get platinum in Watch Dogs 2 and, and realized that I don't even have a need to push myself to plat every game. But sometimes when I look at profiles with literally every game platted, and asked myself:

"Do they really enjoy it, or they're a prisoner of their own passion?"

It sounds like you've got a strong willpower, something I've always lacked. I wouldn't say I would turn back time if I could, as my gaming habits has inevitably given me invaluable insights, both of my person and otherwise.

The answer to your question; I would say no. If you find your life lacking in one or several regards, the only thing that differ in terms of how fast the enjoyment disappear from gaming is due to the severity of the problems that you're experiencing - pretty fast when it comes to myself.

In others words: stay away from trophies if you have any inclination to have them rule over you.

Edited by Mellenthin
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mellenthin said:

It sounds like you've got a strong willpower, something I've always lacked. I wouldn't say I would turn back time if I could, as my gaming habits has inevitably given me invaluable insights, both of my person and otherwise.

My willpower failed me once in my life when I struggled with alcohol in my early 20s but thats for other talk. I don't have a need to plat every game. And gaming (even though I really liked it) is still my hobby, I never felt addicted to it.

5 minutes ago, Mellenthin said:

The answer to your question; I would say no. If you find your life lacking in one or several regards, the only thing that differ in terms of how fast the enjoyment disappear from gaming is due to the severity of the problems that you're experiencing - pretty fast when it comes to myself.

You just took that sentence outta my head.

6 minutes ago, Mellenthin said:

In others words: stay away from trophies if you have any inclination to have them rule over you.

It is important to find a balanced way.

47 minutes ago, Baranov_925 said:

My willpower failed me once in my life when I struggled with alcohol in my early 20s but thats for other talk. I don't have a need to plat every game. And gaming (even though I really liked it) is still my hobby, I never felt addicted to it.

You just took that sentence outta my head.

It is important to find a balanced way.

Apologies in advance for not knowing how to quote a reply in sections as you did.

First things first, honesty is one of the virtues I value the most, so for that you have my gratitude. Vices will come to you whenever you fail to adapt to life, that's probably something children ought to be taught without fail in school before anything else.

To have everything more balanced is the key, no doubt about that. For me it's either 0 or 100% which goes to show some people have a real disadvantage when things turn southwards.?

I consider myself a retired trophy hunter, I don't care about 100% on every game anymore and mostly go for the platinum/100% if I feel like it. I sometimes still check trophy list before buying/starting a new game but I'm trying to get rid of that habit and play games first, platinum them second, and only if I want to for that specific game.

I really understand how it almost feels like a job (weird thing to say about a hobby, but it's true) and I think this community is partially responsible for that feeling in a lot of newer trophy hunters, this website reinforces that feeling too. Between always showing your total percentage and having a list of "missing trophies" and the community being very "gatekeepy" with what a "good profile" looks like, it can be very anxiety inducing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Estivee said:

I consider myself a retired trophy hunter, I don't care about 100% on every game anymore and mostly go for the platinum/100% if I feel like it. I sometimes still check trophy list before buying/starting a new game but I'm trying to get rid of that habit and play games first, platinum them second, and only if I want to for that specific game.

I don't think that makes you a retired trophy hunter. I play games in the same way you described. I only platinum games I thoroughly enjoy (with the exception of telltale batman), and there are plenty of games I enjoy but probably won't platinum (Nier Replicant, Persona 5). If you're still intentionally earning trophies, you're still a trophy hunter. Completion percentages and platinum counts are irrelevant, at least in my opinion.

1 hour ago, ZOMBIESLAVES said:

I don't think that makes you a retired trophy hunter. I play games in the same way you described. I only platinum games I thoroughly enjoy (with the exception of telltale batman), and there are plenty of games I enjoy but probably won't platinum (Nier Replicant, Persona 5). If you're still intentionally earning trophies, you're still a trophy hunter. Completion percentages and platinum counts are irrelevant, at least in my opinion.

I see where you're coming from, and I agree with you. The reason I consider myself retired is for my own well being. To reduce the amount of time I'm devoting to thinking about trophies and being afraid of starting new games incase I don't feel like going for the 100%.

It's not so much that I'm actually not going for trophies or don't care about the community anymore, it's more of a personal boundary to keep it fun and healthy!

• 1 month later...

Having gone back to attempt the Arkham games i'm probably going to pack it in, Arkham City may have the most obnoxious list i've seen, and that's on the back of my doing both PS3 and PS4 versions of Resident Evil 5 and 6!

The whole process of collecting trophies has made devs lazy, once upon a time doing the hardest mode in a game or within a set tme unlocked a fun item or something to add to the replay value, now it's a case of adding as many time consuming or flat out frustrating requirements to keep you hooked, just to unlock a digital achievement.

I decided a while back that any game with a trophy list that wants me to do exactly what the game developer wants isn't worth the time. Rocksteady have now put me off their upcoming Suicide Squad game, i'll wait to see what the trophy list looks like and what kind of BS DLC requirements they add in.

I should be playing games for fun, not to get stressed out.

Personally I aim for a pretty consistent goal which contains one platinum per week. I often play games like a checklist, only mayor releases I am looking forward to are completely blind for me.

What helps me to not feel like I am doing a second job is a good game I can play with my friends. I have 3k hours in RB6 Siege, so 3k hours spent Gaming without getting a trophy. But that’s fine, because so I don’t feel burned out by Trophy hunting.

Couple of years ago I had a real addiction and I couldn’t do anything but trophy hunting. But I past that point and now I can enjoy it again.

• 2 years later...

sorry for bumping an old thread. 

I've been on and off trophies (and gaming in general) for the past year or so, and when I got back into the gaming mood this year, I decided not to play games if they stopped being fun (example got all of the trophies in Yakuza 7 except for the grindy tower one, because I didn't feel like wasting 10+ hours on 1 trophy) but even that is not enough, because I still feel overwhelmed and 'meh' about gaming 

so I'll start a 'challenge' for myself, which is to beat a bunch of games, say 6-10 games, without looking at the trophy list/guide, and move on after beating them. like the old days, and see how I feel after that. 

if I got the urge to platinum any of these games, I can do it that later, if not it, that's fine too

Edited by TalalHmd

I never let a trophy list keep me from playing a game I'm interested in.  If it looks like an overly grindy trophy list, or there's a ton of MP trophies I'm not interested in, I'll just pick the game up on Steam, Xbox or Switch and play through it for fun.  I'm competitive, and I want to keep seeing my ranking grow, but I also don't want to get burnt out or miss games that I know I would have enjoyed.  If it gets to that point I'll just quit hunting

A little. I have reached 50 plats and now trying to get a trophy specifically for any game gets tiring, especially if the trophy is buggy or frustrating, now I am just going to take easy for a bit, play Assassin Creed Valhalla. Not to platinum it (But do desire it), but more just to play it. Here's my thoughts, if the game don't have a missable trophy, then it's okay because I can go back and do it whenever I like. Such with Valhalla. And then I don't have to follow a guide all the time either.

Just need a break from constantly focusing on trophies and platinums.

• Like 1

I definitely feel like this more and more lately, especially with the massive backlog of games I have to play though. I constantly feel like I'm playing catch up, am not earning trophies quick enough or that I can't move on from a game until I've fully completed it and got the platinum. I especially feel bad when I play a game and I find I can't do something in the game to unlock a trophy, such as playing on the hardest difficulty or speed runs etc. And then I see it on my profile page all incomplete and it plays on my mind. 

I am trying to get better with it and have started playing more Switch games, but I so miss the old days of the PS2.