Will free console upgrades have a separate PS5 trophy list?

adam_31256

The remaster for the PS5 is no simple up-res, as many of the game’s art assets have been completely updated to take advantage of the PS5 console’s horsepower. You’ll see better-looking characters with improved skin, eyes, hair, and facial animation (including our new, next-generation Peter Parker). You’ll also see ray-traced reflections and ambient shadows, improved lighting, more pedestrians and vehicles stretching further into the distance, and the same optional performance mode offered on Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, allowing you to finally play the game at a targeted 60fps frame rate. We’ll be supporting near-instant loading, 3D audio, and the DualSense controller’s haptic feedback. Lastly we’re adding three amazing new Spider-Man suits, new photo mode features, and even new trophies for those of you looking to Platinum the game all over again.

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/09/16/see-the-marvels-spider-man-miles-morales-new-gameplay-demo/

Not technically a free upgrade it seems since they have only mentioned an upgrade for Miles Morales but a new trophy list for Spider-Man is confirmed and can end the crazy talk that they would get rid of trophies ?

With cross platform between PS3, PS4 and Vita there were shared lists so obviously that will be possible with this but hoping we mostly get new lists.  There are also bound to be games that are not the same which would lead to different lists.  In particular the sports games.  We already know MyCareer progress doesn't transfer in NBA 2K21 because it is going to be different on PS5 and can see Madden and FIFA stripping modes like usual.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2020 at 10:42 PM, RadiantFlamberge said:

I'd rather have a game share the same trophy list between generations. With Ys Memories of Celceta, I liked having all my previously earned Vita trophies count towards getting the platinum with the PS4.

i completely agree, Okami did this too. I feel all games should do this, 1 list per game.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2020 at 4:10 AM, Hayabusa85 said:

Eh3tvChX0AAQcp0?format=jpg&name=large

Looks like Cyberpunk will have two lists since the tiny bit of the game tile below appears to be the same.  But could also be multiple regions.

Good eye! I really fucking hope that Black Ops Cold War will be one shared list, but knowing Activi$ion...

I think there will.  If you're upgrading to a version of the game that is also being released with its own SKU and is not playable on PS4, then I don't see how there wouldn't be a separate list.

What I'm hoping is that those Playstation Plus Collection games also have a separate list.  I'd love going for the platinum again in a lot of those games for the second (and in the case of The Last of Us, third) time.  I don't think that's going to happen though, I think that those are just PS4 games that are available digitally to play on PS5.  But, oh, I hope so.

• Like 2

On 7.09.2020 at 5:09 AM, Zircon_Lotus said:

I think they will share the same list. Makes more sense to me this way.

And I think PS5 games will have trophies, why would they remove? I dont think developers care about trophy hunters, but it's not like it's hard for them to make those lists. Besides this kind of system seems to be a staple on modern gaming. The system will probably work as is, and people are more interested on the new games and new features, so they dont need to talk about it. 

Actually, it's kind of a hassle. First, you have to come up with ideas for like 50 trophies. Then you have to spend actual money to hire someone from your dev team or some third party studio, whatever, to design graphics for the trophies, probably some English philology major to think of clever and/or memorable trophy names, then you have to implement them into the game, you have to spend time to beta test it so you know they work properly, and if they don't, you will get harassed by the overly eager fanbase to patch them all over your social platforms. so yeah, they are a hassle for the developers. I am willing to bet my left nut, that if it weren't for the trophies being mandatory, only a handful of games would have them.

I just assumed they would share trophy lists, but then I read this article on Gamespot.

There's this bit from the devs of the game Maneater. 

Tripwire Interactive announced its shark game Maneater would get enhanced with a free next-gen upgrade, including 4K at 60 FPS, DualSense support, and more. But if you do take advantage of the offer, you'll have to start anew. In a FAQ for the enhanced version, the studio notes, "This is a separate application/game on PlayStation 5 and Trophies, stats and saves will not transfer." The same FAQ notes that on Xbox Series S and Series X, it is not a different application and so saves and Achievements will transfer.

I'd personally be glad if games got new trophy lists, there are some games I would platinum several times over if I could, lol. Guess we'll see. 

On 10/5/2020 at 3:52 PM, HaserPL said:

so yeah, they are a hassle for the developers. I am willing to bet my left nut, that if it weren't for the trophies being mandatory, only a handful of games would have them.

I disagree.  Maybe not on them being a little bit of a hassle for some (when they came into existence, writing the trophy list was, of course, another job that had to be done), but I don't think that they wouldn't do them unless they had to.  They know that, at least with some of the people buying and playing the games, having a trophy list can lead to increased and prolonged engagement with the game.  Publishers and developers want that you to get as much out of the game as possible because that could help lead to you buying the next game.  Also, if you're working on that trophy list, they know that that can also keep you from turning around and selling the game.  Also, trophy stats are a good tool for them to see what people are doing in the game (how many people are really engaged with the multiplayer, how many with the single player, was the story "interesting" and how many played it through to completion, etc.).

It is a job.  But it's a job that I think that they're certainly willing to do.

• 5 months later...

Can you get the free PS5 upgrade on the same game more than once?

For example I bought Mortal Shell for PS4 on my main account and also for an overseas account. 

I have already used a free PS5 upgrade for one of them but can't seem to do it for the other copy.

Not sure if I'm missing something or it just isn't possible to upgrade it twice.

On 3/12/2021 at 5:39 PM, reiner- said:

Can you get the free PS5 upgrade on the same game more than once?

For example I bought Mortal Shell for PS4 on my main account and also for an overseas account. 

I have already used a free PS5 upgrade for one of them but can't seem to do it for the other copy.

Not sure if I'm missing something or it just isn't possible to upgrade it twice.

Why did you necro this old pre-PS5 release thread?

Mortal Shell doesn't have PS5 stacks, only PS4 does.

• Like 1