Does anyone else suffer from Platinum pop syndrome?

You

It depends. Even if you disregard the copious disposable easy platinum games, the amount of games truly worthy of replayage seems to dwindle by the year.

...It's probably just as well though, considering storage space requirements also ironically seem to rise in parallel ?

I will go back to some games down the road, or more likely keep playing even after the plat before I move on if there is more I want to do. For instance, kept playing Persona 5 Royal for another 150 hours after the plat to unlock all of the Thieves Den rewards, fight all of the super-bosses, etc.

I have been giving a lot of thought to semi-retiring from trophy hunting anyway. For a game I love. I want to see and experience everything anyway, but for games I don't I just need to move on after beating the game and not worry about trophies.

On 9/7/2020 at 6:37 AM, PraiseTheFluppi said:

This reminds me of an interesting text from @Artty44:

This is exactly what I think. 20 years ago or even before that, you didn't really have an achievement list or internet to help you with collectibles, secret endings etc. There are guide books for a lot of games and some games had an 'achievement list' like ff12, but the main difference to today is the fact that there wasn't a visible 'ending', not even in the books. You play a game for 100+ hours and could not say for sure that you did everything in the game. I remember going for the Pirates Den in ff12, but unlike a trophy list, you didnt' see the requirements for them. You simply didn't know if you were completely finished. And if you came back later to the game with a new character, you experienced something else that never happened before, even if it was just a unique dialogue, a new weapon or something similar. Still, people weren't as addicted as they are today to completion. Why though? You could have gone for 100% if you wanted to.

The trophy list is a checklist, it tells you the possibilities of the game. (Not all possibilities!)  Everyone could make their own checklist for games without it, or even extend them with certain 'achievements'. Some games don't have the reqiurement to get all equipement, so you could just add it in your mind. You want to kill a boss in a certain time limit, but there isn't a trophy? Just add it in your mind, make a video of it, then you can still show it off like a trophy. They are basically nothing special. A shopping list istn's exciting, right? Even though you checked everything off of it. So why is a trophy list addicting all of a sudden? Because it's online and everyone sees it? You could show off your finished shopping list and still it's nothing special. 1f914.png
People make it more special than it actually is. Trophies are like a tiny guide book for me, they show me if there is still a secret boss, or a special weapon I don't have, or a unique dialogue with an NPC etc. After I got that, I get a trophy, like a crossed out headword on a checklist. And even after crossing everything off, there are still things in a game to do. Always.

Completing games today is just so easy compared to the past mainly because of the internet. And that's a big problem of it all. Some make it even ridiculously easy for them and get a list of everything before they even started the game. In the end, these people complain that a game is too short or too easy or not interesting enough even though they spoilered themselves, and I don't get it. Play the game and enjoy it.

If your mindset is like 'I have everything in a game, I won't play it ever again' then you shouldn't feel pressured for your next game, right? Your value for achievements is higher than the value for the game. I'm not good at explaining, but if you forget a game after finishing it, why does it matter so much to rush through all other games you have? You don't value the gameplay of your current game, that won't change with the next. You will never finish every game that exists, it's impossible, so naturally you will miss out on some games. So why not enjoy games slower and without a checklist in mind from the start? Nobody but yourself pressures you into rushing everything!

Very well put! I think that trophy hunting has helped me by helping me 'complete' more games than I used to. I used to have a bad habit of picking something up and getting sidetracked or ignoring alot of games, and now I find myself playing more games than I normally would in different genres, using the lists and like you said, a guide of sorts. They are a checklist of tasks, both important and menial, that are a way of saying that you accomplished various things within the game. It has helped me be a bit more disciplined, and also, spend way less than I would because even though my backlog is big, I'm spending more time going back to older games and trying to clear that trophy checklist, I get pickier with the huge timesink games. There's some i played and realized I really enjoyed, and others that I enjoyed and the troht list made me despise, but it still feels good knowing that list has been checked off.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

When ive got a folder with 400+ games left untouched across a 4 tb external harddrive and a 2 tb internal with only 40 gb of space left its really easy to just delete games to make room for newer ones. Especially if theres multiple stacks as if i really wanted to replay say life is strange true colors a year from now i would naturally play the ps5 stacks to get another plat out of the 10 hours i would be dedicating to this game.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, theSpirae said:

Why are there so many necro threads lately?

I guess the user above you is necroing most of them ? I personally don't mind since I'm kinda new to the forums, heh.

Regarding the OP, nowadays it takes some time for me to go back to a game I beat. There are just too many games I want to play and not enough time to play them, compared to when I was younger (lots of time and fewer games given my purchasing power).

But I think this isn't really related to this platinum crave being mentioned. When I stated 'a game I beat', it's normally finishing the game without giving much attention to trophies and seeing the credits roll. Afterwards, I move to another game, regardless of whether I got the platinum or not. I do go back to get 100% of the trophies (after a few months, bu most takes years lol), and depending on the trophy requirements, it's usually on a new playthrough. So sometimes, the trophies actually give the game more replayability, I guess. I think I get more enjoyment out of games using this little system.

Of course, exceptions are when I can complete the game in a single playthrough. In this case I go for the 100% and don't look back, unless I really, really like playing that game... but then not many games are worth going back to these days.

1 hour ago, Sunnyburrito said:

Better than to create 20 newer ones to discuss the same thing but with different words. 

Don't know, is not that common to see this kind of threads repeated and usually our diligent mods close them and link the older ones or merge them (even our old weekly ezpz threads). Still I kind of prefer that than this necroing in the forum lately.

My remedy is to play only the games you're interested in, even if you're interested in the first place because you want a trophy for it (like if you want all AC games but you don't like AC 3, so you go and do it anyway).  If you have some kind of motivation behind it, you will always feel good about it.

1 hour ago, DeepEyes7 said:

Don't know, is not that common to see this kind of threads repeated and usually our diligent mods close them and link the older ones or merge them (even our old weekly ezpz threads). Still I kind of prefer that than this necroing in the forum lately.

I see your point, but in this case here I don't see the harm done since it's a subject that's not talked much, but I do agree that necroing certain threads are very annoying, the other day someone revived one about Red Dead Redemption 2 released date, I thought it was related to a PS5 version or so but no just a useless comment on a 4 years old thread.

Some games are not worth replaying, you played it x amount of times for the trophies and you just wanna be done and move on. Maybe because you've been "forced" to go run though it too many times for trophies so you lose interest. Edit: just realized this is another one of these corpse threads being dug up lol.

Edited by JAK-KRIEG
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, JAK-KRIEG said:

Some games are not worth replaying, you played it x amount of times for the trophies and you just wanna be done and move on. Maybe because you've been "forced" to go run though it too many times for trophies so you lose interest. Edit: just realized this is another one of these corpse threads being dug up lol.

Such as 'The Callisto Protocol' ?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Godo Fwar said:

Such as 'The Callisto Protocol' 1f601.png

I disagree. His words were

6 hours ago, JAK-KRIEG said:

Some games are not worth replaying,

With Callisto Protoco I thought it would have been:-

"Some games are not worth playing"

lol

[edit] I decided to read this entire thread from the start...... to find out it was made by me.. lol

I had completely forgotten.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Sunnyburrito said:

I see your point, but in this case here I don't see the harm done since it's a subject that's not talked much, but I do agree that necroing certain threads are very annoying, the other day someone revived one about Red Dead Redemption 2 released date, I thought it was related to a PS5 version or so but no just a useless comment on a 4 years old thread.

People can reply to whatever forum threads they want. Who cares if it's useful to you or not. 

But yeah in response to the thread I do the exact same but if it's a special game to me of course I'll play through the campaign once again in the future and if you don't play a game for like 10 years you'll be surprised how much you forget of it especially the small details and it'll be like playing it new as your mindset will be completely different 

• Like 2

The worst part of this is not at the end, but during. I do everything in my power to rush to the platinum or I ruin the experience by preparing the necessary guides, or just not enjoying the story because I keep squatting 100 times or whatever the hell it needs me to do.

Usually, though, at the end, I take a few moments to say goodbye, I travel back to a safe room or a favorite spot, I look into the sunset, make sure that I have a nice final image - if I had a good time. I can see myself playing more when I have 100%, this happened with Bloodborne, Astro's Playroom, Guns Up! This is very rare, though.

I'm on my 30s, I work 8 hours per day, commuting a lot and playing videogames (along with bingewatching TV shows) is my favorite thing to do at home. I have all the newest consoles and of course Game Pass and PS Plus subscriptions. Tons and tons of games  to play and so little time. I deleted games when I grab a platinum, it basically makes sense cause it means I have experienced that game at 100% which is totally satisfying to me. A couple of days ago I deleted Ghostwire Tokyo even though I have to re-install it again for the upcoming DLC but other than that, the quests, subquests, collectibles are done. I have nothing more to do there... So it's pointless to have it on my PS5!

Edited by elhaym1709
  • Like 1

When I was younger I had a lot of free time to play games but only had a few of them, so replaying games was routine. Nowadays it's the opposite, my collection is larger than ever (to my standards anyway) and my time to play them is dwindling day by day. Even though there are games I wish to replay, even after earning the platinum, I'd rather get through my backlog. This year so far I only fully replayed Mirror's Edge, ICO and Burnout 3: Takedown. 

• Like 1

As I've gotten older, the time/money axis has shifted to ensure that I've got more games than I can realistically every play, between super sales on PSN and severe FOMO on titles I'd prefer to have physically (almost any RPG, especially by a smaller company). This definitely contributes to deleting the game when I get that plat pop, but I was a heavy guide user even before then, so full-clearing and moving on has always been a thing for me.

Even my favorite titles are rarely worth replaying repeatedly. I like RPGs and story heavy games, but if it's memorable enough to stick with me, it's memorable enough I don't need to replay it to bring back that feeling of enjoyment. Maybe I'll replay some 5 or 10 years later, but I'm certainty not keeping them installed that long.

• Like 2

I delete most games when they're finished to free up space for more games, but I'll reinstall any game that has New Game+ to play around a bit whenever I feel like it - sometimes I'll even keep games I really like installed if their file size is small enough like <2GB so they stay on my home menu.

Of all the games I've gotten the plat for, I estimate maybe like 50-60% of them won't be touched again.