At what % does a platinum get your respect?

effdeegee

Every Plat counts, but for me the 'respect' is for the gamer, not the game. If someone has 15 platinum and they are ALL pixar games, I dont think they suck, but I dont think they are great gamers. But if they have 15 pixar platinums plus even just a couple of hard ones then my respect shall flow like wine :)

I got my share of easy platinums. (Never went 'Montana' but I do have a Sly 1, Toy Story 3, The Walking Dead) but I feel they are offset by the rarer ones (Syndicate, Disgaea 3, Demons Souls, Driver)

Basically what i mean is, IMO, having even a few ultra rare plats gets you enough respect from me to offset all the Megamind/ Terminator/ Madagascar platinums you want :D

This. I like to do a hard platinum, then do an easy one. Just the variation is what I want and sometimes I think I deserve a break after a hard platinum.

I play games solely for the purposes of trophies, but when taking a look at a game I might go for I not only look at the trophies but also if I'll like the game.

That may not be always the case, sometimes I feel dissappointed afterwards but never give up and PS+ games are usually decided easier, free can be hard to resist at times. Jak for example. So much hate for that game, but can hardly say no to 3 'free' platinums.

Sorry, I completely drifted off lol. 

Edited by MrCostari
  • Like 1

For me , it really depends on the game not the rarity, because there are games that are ultra rare platinums yet are fairly easy to complete( Fifa and other sports titles). on the other end there are hard games like demon and dark souls with plats near 20% ( because of infinite souls glitch, item duping etc). 

The only time a plat, and the gamer that earned it, gets my disrespect is when they grind it out just for a number. When that gamer doesn't like the game he/she is playing, they just want to add another number to their plat count. All other instances are respectful no matter the rarity.

If you start alking about 'earning' disrespect rather than respect, then I instantly no long want or need your respect.

Positivity and calm good-humour are virtues to be lauded. Ignorence and disrespect are childish Comic-Book-Guy nonsense to be ignored and derided.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

If you start alking about 'earning' disrespect rather than respect, then I instantly no long want or need your respect.

Positivity and calm good-humour are virtues to be lauded. Ignorence and disrespect are childish Comic-Book-Guy nonsense to be ignored and derided.

And I'm guessing you don't know how to read either...so it's a good thing you don't care about whether or not I respect you.

That was directed at many people on this site, not just you. No need to take offense man. There is a pervasive air of trophy snobism and self-aggrandising one-upmanship that is poison to the ethos of this site, and it starts with looking for reasons to disrespect people, rather than reasons to respect them.

Why not just all be nice ;)

• Like 2

That was directed at many people on this site, not just you. No need to take offense man. There is a pervasive air of trophy snobism and self-aggrandising one-upmanship that is poison to the ethos of this site, and it starts with looking for reasons to disrespect people, rather than reasons to respect them.

Why not just all be nice ;)

Well, since you quoted me and put a bunch of "you"s in the line right under the quote, one would take it as a direct statement toward said person.  I'm not one to just roll over and let somebody stab me.

I have nothing against kiddy/Disney plats.  Hell, I have one myself.  It's just so unknown that people never notice it.  It's Chaotic: Shadow Warriors.  I did that one because one of my close friends loves kiddy/Disney games.  Chaotic happens to have MP trophies.  He needed help and asked me for it.  He even bought the game for me.  It wasn't a fast plat like Up or Megamind either.

That being said, I don't see the plat snobbery you seem to be noticing on the site.  If you are speaking of the "Rate the Plat Collection" thread, that's a completely different beast.  Outside of that thread, I'm just not seeing it.  

Rarity of a Plat is based on two things: How hard the Plat is (Duh) and How popular the game is.

If there is a super hard Plat but it's a famous game, the Plat will not be as rare as an a bit less harder Plat with a not famous game.

What kind of Plats do I respect? The ones that I find them hard myself. There are a lot of games that people believe are super hard like Rayman, Heroes over Europe and Stormrise but I found them extremely easy so getting those Plats might get the respect of some people but not from me (Who cares about my respect :P)

Plats that really earns my respect are like GTA IV, R.U.S.E, Time Crysis, IL 2, Ninja Gaiden, Metal Gear Solid 2, Metal Gear Rising and many more. 

• Like 2

I'm not one to just roll over and let somebody stab me.

Good grief. Take a beat homes, no one is stabbing anyone! :S In the interest of not being a hypocrite and taking my own advice, I apologise if I caused offence. I also have seen your completion percentage, and have plenty of respect for your gaming skills.

You certainly don't need to justify a 'kids' game being on there with the likes of SSFIV and Shadow of the Colossus platinums!

Lets all just be pleasantly respectful of eachother :)

A rising tide lifts all boats. :)

• Like 1

Good grief. Take a beat homes, no one is stabbing anyone! :S In the interest of not being a hypocrite and taking my own advice, I apologise if I caused offence. I also have seen your completion percentage, and have plenty of respect for your gaming skills.

You certainly don't need to justify a 'kids' game being on there with the likes of SSFIV and Shadow of the Colossus platinums!

Lets all just be pleasantly respectful of eachother :)

A rising tide lifts all boats. :)

Indeed...

The stinky cheese attracts many flies.

% sometimes doesn't mean it's a hard platinum, nor should be the measure to see if it's a respected Platinum.

Take this example:

Tales of Xillia have 2 different trophy list, 1 have 6,87% very rare platinum (634/9223 achievers/owners, US version I believe) and the other it's a 10,12% rare platinum (610/6030 achievers/total, EU version)

So someone who respects all very rare platinum would respect the one for the US version, but not the one for EU (even though they are the same game)? That would be funny.

And even between games:

Demon's Souls: JP 18,64% rare platinum (10227/54857 achievers), US 11,58% rare platinum (10720/92577 achievers), EU 10,99% rare platinum (5968/54308 achievers)

Alpha Protocol: Unique list, 4,16% Ultra Rare Platinum (1121/26926 achievers)

Wheelman: Unique list, 4,63% Ultra rare platinum (1006/21743 achievers)

Now someone will let me know where those 2 are harder then Demon's Souls? or even Tales of Xillia... they sure aren't.

And then there's other things like games that are now impossible to plat, but there are new players playing it, like Overlord 2, it's now impossible to plat since from what I know the server is closed (and there are online trophies needed for platinum), but there are new people playing it (recent plays show people played it last week..), all that drag the rarity % down, in this case to the point of Overlord 2 a Ultra Rare platinum (4,84%), really this is even more a joke then Alpha Protocol or Wheelman..

There's no many things involved in the % to be able to set a % and say you respect every platinum under a %, since there's always the multi-list thing, how many players played the game, how many of those are into trophies (trophy hunter like games or easy to platinum games, may have different numbers of players, but most are wanting the platinum, while mainstream games may have tons of players who don't go for the platinum at all, making it more rare), and then how hard is to get platinum in the game...

Said all that, usually platinums in the 2% range should be hard to get, BUT, there's always a crappy game that a lot of people drop really quickly not getting the platinum (even trophy hunters at times..).. So just try to know the games and how hard it is to platinum it, so you know if you should respect it or not.

I personally respect things like Street Fighter 4, Super Street Fighter 4. Blazblue Continuum Shift, Catherine, Wipeout HD, GT5, GTA, Disgaea 3/4, Cross Edge and to some extent Dark/Demon's Souls (I respect someone who got 1, if you got more, I don't respect you more for that, since I did got 2 Demon's Souls platinums and the second one was a joke..).

PS: All the games I mentioned are games that I have Platinum or extended experience (Street Fighter 4, Super Street Fighter 4. Blazblue Continuum Shift, Catherine are probably to hard for me, or at least I never decided to spend weeks to get the hard stuff done)..

• Like 1

I like this thread :) . In my humble opinion there is a few things involved when a platinum gets my respect. Rarity is one of them of course, but if I know it takes a while to get the platinum, I've got respect for that platinum. Usually under 10% is when I start having a lot of respect for the platinum. Under 5% I bow down the person. 

100%s for PSN games are also often harder than Platinums.

I'm WAY prouder of my 100% in Shatter, Big Sky Infinity, Limbo and Braid than most of my Platinums.

Shatter, for example is theoretically possible to 100% in like 5 hours, but its solid as hell, and took me a LOT of attempts to get the Boss Rush trophy! (Yes, yes, come on out and tell me how crap I must be ;) )

• Like 1

I guess I don't have a particular percentage I respect; I like to look at other gamers profiles to see what games they have played & have a generalised respect for the games they have played/time they have put in.

Just to give an example, Assassins Creed 2 is an uncommon plat at 30.37%, but I have a respect for anyone who got it because to do so they got the trophy for finding all 100 feathers (and from personal experience I know how much of a pain that is)

• Like 1