High Score Difficulty Spike

I want to preface this by saying that I like challenging games. In fact, I find game difficulty often correlates really strongly with fun for me.

That said, I need some serious help with the challenges in this game. I'm up to Titan Sky 3 on amateur and the challenges are starting to get out of hand. I went back to Olliwood on Pro intending to clear a few of those to clear my head and I find the high score requirements completely insane (to the tune of only getting roughly 50% of the score requirements on a good run). I'm officially at a breaking point where I don't know how I can suddenly bridge the skill gap so drastically and need some help (mainly on the scoring front).

I've looked at the tips people have been giving which essentially boil down to "do lots of grind switches, manuals, and always be rotating in the air". Grind switches and manuals are easy enough, and I've even starting tossing in manual reverts on most jumps, but I STILL can't get the points to go up in any appreciable way. I'll finish a level with a perfect landing and x70 multiplier with an 800K score. I think what I might be missing is getting more rotation in the air, but it seems that the game randomly decides when it wants to rotate fast or have a second or so before it starts going. I'm hoping there's some simple trick to getting spin multipliers in easily or something. I clearly just have no clue what to do to get these high scores. I'm at my wit's end. Ironically I think Rad mode will be a walk in the park since just landing perfects is easy. I simply can't get the scores necessary to beat these challenges though.

From those people who are good at this game, what is the secret sauce? What am I missing and how do I overcome this brick wall to keep working towards this platinum? I'm clearly missing something and need to figure out what it is before I just keep trying like I normally do with most games.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Solarus755

scoring is pretty easy when you figure out how to do it. all you have to do is spam random moves, do some grind switches, get mostly perfects, and the huge thing just spin any chance you get it works for every level in the game, you might need to retry a few times for more perfects but trust me it works (I did the platinum 5 times). I maybe did complicated tricks but I literally just spammed random shit on the right stick. spinning is the secret like no joke just get combo as high as possible. you definitely dont need to do manual reverts.

Edited by hunteriscoolio

38 minutes ago, hunteriscoolio said:

scoring is pretty easy when you figure out how to do it. all you have to do is spam random moves, do some grind switches, get mostly perfects, and the huge thing just spin any chance you get it works for every level in the game, you might need to retry a few times for more perfects but trust me it works (I did the platinum 5 times). I maybe did complicated tricks but I literally just spammed random shit on the right stick. spinning is the secret like no joke just get combo as high as possible. you definitely dont need to do manual reverts.

Thanks for the tip. I've been having trouble with spinning as much as I see in videos. Do you just hold R at all times when you're grinding or doing a manual and only let go when you're about to land?

Perhaps doing manual reverts is making me do too much and not focusing on just trying to do more trick diversity? I've been able to get really high multipliers (higher than in some videos), but I still can't break 900K on Olliwood 1... I'm hoping I'll just have some kind of eureka moment eventually and the rest will be easy.

I only hold r1 when I jump from grinds and I release before landing maybe just spam tricks like me or add in a double kickflip on high jumps but I never needed to, prob repeated the same moves a lot too but most of my focus was spinning. that was my revelation really, I got really stuck at titan sky amateur challenges when I first went through the game and I've just never had any problems with points since then, they always ended up being the easiest challenges for me afterwards. if youre not getting them after spinning and stuff maybe just get perfects more? I dont really know what to say.

On 9/7/2020 at 7:53 PM, hunteriscoolio said:

I only hold r1 when I jump from grinds and I release before landing maybe just spam tricks like me or add in a double kickflip on high jumps but I never needed to, prob repeated the same moves a lot too but most of my focus was spinning. that was my revelation really, I got really stuck at titan sky amateur challenges when I first went through the game and I've just never had any problems with points since then, they always ended up being the easiest challenges for me afterwards. if youre not getting them after spinning and stuff maybe just get perfects more? I dont really know what to say.

Turns out I'm over the hump. Done all of Amateur and Olliwood pro now so far. Planning to just rip the bandaid and go for the 5M on Titan Sky 5 tomorrow. For any new players reading this, the trick really is to just spin to win. Always hold the R button (I'm playing on Vita) on jumps since you'll always get at least a 180 out of it. I took out manual reverts almost entirely because I felt like it became too much to manage and it was affecting my maximum spin potential. Basically:

1. Don't bother doing complex tricks throughout the level. Lead off with something complex if possible and then just do simple tricks for the duration of the level (my favorite start so far has been laserflip, manual, double kickflip if I can get a tiny bit of air). Leading off with a big trick helps the multipliers scale, but it's not necessary throughout.

2. Spin to win! Hold down that R button and only let go when you're going to land.

3. If you're going to finish(hear crowd noises) and notice the bar isn't green for perfect, just hop in the air and manual over and over until you get it green. Stop once it goes green (glance at the score in the bottom right and if it's sufficiently high, just stop).

Feeling a lot more confident for the remaining challenges. I know that I'm only done amateur and the easiest pro levels so far, but I'm past the point of getting high scores being an enigma. Once a game is just a matter of trying over and over until you get it right, I have no issues. It was trying over and over and not knowing how to improve that was killing me.

• 3 months later...
On 2020-09-09 at 4:48 AM, Solarus755 said:

Turns out I'm over the hump. Done all of Amateur and Olliwood pro now so far. Planning to just rip the bandaid and go for the 5M on Titan Sky 5 tomorrow. For any new players reading this, the trick really is to just spin to win. Always hold the R button (I'm playing on Vita) on jumps since you'll always get at least a 180 out of it. I took out manual reverts almost entirely because I felt like it became too much to manage and it was affecting my maximum spin potential. Basically:

1. Don't bother doing complex tricks throughout the level. Lead off with something complex if possible and then just do simple tricks for the duration of the level (my favorite start so far has been laserflip, manual, double kickflip if I can get a tiny bit of air). Leading off with a big trick helps the multipliers scale, but it's not necessary throughout.

2. Spin to win! Hold down that R button and only let go when you're going to land.

3. If you're going to finish(hear crowd noises) and notice the bar isn't green for perfect, just hop in the air and manual over and over until you get it green. Stop once it goes green (glance at the score in the bottom right and if it's sufficiently high, just stop).

Feeling a lot more confident for the remaining challenges. I know that I'm only done amateur and the easiest pro levels so far, but I'm past the point of getting high scores being an enigma. Once a game is just a matter of trying over and over until you get it right, I have no issues. It was trying over and over and not knowing how to improve that was killing me.

I appreciate all these tips cuz I will be attempting this plat now so I needed these. Hopefully they make this plat a bit easier xD

On 2020-09-08 at 0:53 AM, hunteriscoolio said:

So for example when Im going just straight do i keep doing spins? if so when do u keep spamming random moves if ur focusing on spinning all the time?

3 hours ago, cattpro said:

So for example when Im going just straight do i keep doing spins? if so when do u keep spamming random moves if ur focusing on spinning all the time?

well I would be jumping and getting a few spins in, i mean there isn't very many just long stretches in the game but getting in a few spins is helpful. in reference to the second thing I mean doing a random move to start the jump and spinning after I'm in the air, also in that comment I meant if spinning isn't working add a few tricks, but I see what you mean I think, I'm fairly confident that the spins alone will probably be enough to get you enough points though as long as you maintain a combo throughout the level (or 2 in the few levels that make you break up the combo). I mean u just kind of need to practice on whatever level you're stuck on until you get it. The idea is that each spin adds to your combo so you're getting a lot of points from that.

40 minutes ago, hunteriscoolio said:

well I would be jumping and getting a few spins in, i mean there isn't very many just long stretches in the game but getting in a few spins is helpful. in reference to the second thing I mean doing a random move to start the jump and spinning after I'm in the air, also in that comment I meant if spinning isn't working add a few tricks, but I see what you mean I think, I'm fairly confident that the spins alone will probably be enough to get you enough points though as long as you maintain a combo throughout the level (or 2 in the few levels that make you break up the combo). I mean u just kind of need to practice on whatever level you're stuck on until you get it. The idea is that each spin adds to your combo so you're getting a lot of points from that.

Oh i see what you are saying. do you manual after each spin? cuz I cant keep a combo going by only doing spins and and landing normally the combo keeps resetting? Btw Im a noob at this game just started it today so hope im not asking dumb things xD

15 hours ago, cattpro said:

Oh i see what you are saying. do you manual after each spin? cuz I cant keep a combo going by only doing spins and and landing normally the combo keeps resetting? Btw Im a noob at this game just started it today so hope im not asking dumb things xD

Yes, you need to keep manualing throughout the entire level and try to land those manuals with perfects as well because that's also a large chunk of points. This can get you the points and combos all the way throughout every level so yeah. Also your questions aren't dumb, the game needs some getting used to but it becomes more and more just muscle memory and the game ends up feeling really smooth to play if you know what I mean.

• Like 1