Mafia 2 Definitive Edition still performs like a piece of shit.

ImMagnetz

I really like Mafia 2 so of course I had to get the definitive edition when it came out, but this is definitely the worse purchase ive made so far. Ive bought quite a few games that I ended up not really liking but at least those were all actually playable. I still recommend Mafia 2, but this version is actually garbage

3 minutes ago, TheDragonfly44 said:

I really like Mafia 2 so of course I had to get the definitive edition when it came out, but this is definitely the worse purchase ive made so far. Ive bought quite a few games that I ended up not really liking but at least those were all actually playable. I still recommend Mafia 2, but this version is actually garbage

For real dude it's terrible! Constant framerate drops. Constant lag spikes. I've fallen through the map twice on my way to a mission. It's frozen 3 times on me already. I haven't even finished Chapter 3 yet for fuck's sake!!!

Edited by MrTacoNinja

34 minutes ago, TheDragonfly44 said:

32 minutes ago, MrTacoNinja said:

For real dude it's terrible! Constant framerate drops. Constant lag spikes. I've fallen through the map twice on my way to a mission. It's frozen 3 times on me already. I haven't even finished Chapter 3 yet for fuck's sake!!!

So I have Mafia II on PS3 (unplayed) and also on PS4 courtesy of Malaysia.

Are you really saying that even after the patches for bugs, audio issues, etc. that you would still recommend playing this on PS3 instead?

I hope not as i much prefer the PS4 controller and the ability to take screenshots.  

17 minutes ago, djb5f said:

So I have Mafia II on PS3 (unplayed) and also on PS4 courtesy of Malaysia.

Are you really saying that even after the patches for bugs, audio issues, etc. that you would still recommend playing this on PS3 instead?

I hope not as i much prefer the PS4 controller and the ability to take screenshots.  

Even streaming the PS Now version (which is what I did) was a way better experience.

• 2 months later...

I'd been wanting to play Mafia and Mafia II for years. 

I no longer had a PS2 to play the former and without that, never felt inspired to jump into the latter. Mafia 3's reviews weren't great either. 

I finally jumped in over Christmas. Mafia 1 is more forgivable, I suppose, but Mafia 2 is a whole mess. 

No options for controls whatsoever, frame rate drops and stutters and weird graphical issues. 

$45 is still too much. Eh, you win some you lose some.

• 6 months later...

It's a shame when devs release games in this state then never fix them.

I never got to play the DLC on the PS3 version as it was delisted before I played it. So it would have been nice to revisit this game and play the DLC...but I'm not purchasing a broken game. 

On 18/07/2021 at 7:26 PM, LockheedPrime said:

yup, finished it on ps4 today and the experience was horrible, textures flickering between blue stock textures, vegetation spawning behind me, stealth kill animations never connect, worst remaster I've ever played

On 18/07/2021 at 9:21 PM, saiyanbloodstyle said:

This game runs better on PS3, it's glitchy broken mess when i played it on PS4 pro.

Did any of the trophies glitch on you guys? :)

When I got the platinum a year ago I never experienced any issues with the game. However coming back to finish the dlc I've had nothing but lag spikes, frame rate drops, and crashes. Thankfully no trophies have glitched yet and I only have the Jimmy's Vendetta grinds left ?

On 7/24/2021 at 5:35 AM, Viper said:

It's a shame when devs release games in this state then never fix them.

I never got to play the DLC on the PS3 version as it was delisted before I played it. So it would have been nice to revisit this game and play the DLC...but I'm not purchasing a broken game. 

Pretty sure the PS3 Greatest Hits version has the DLC on disc so if you want to get it used for cheap and continue on that version, there is always that option.

Edited by djb5f

20 minutes ago, djb5f said:

Pretty sure the PS3 Greatest Hits version has the DLC on disc so if you want to get it used for cheap and continue on that version, there is always that option.

That's right, the DLC is on disc. I was in the same situation so I went for an used Greatest Hits PS3 copy to finish the DLC and also finally get my 100%.

In my opinion, if you plan on buying the Definitive Edition mainly for the DLC, you're not missing much. I'd just go for the PS3 GH edition. Jimmy's Vendetta is the worst DLC I've ever played, Joe's Adventures is better but not by much.

• 3 weeks later...

Everyone says Jimmy's Vendetta is bad because of having to drive 1000 miles, which requires you to rubberband the controller for roughly 25 - 30 hours. I couldn't do the glitch method without the game constantly pausing every 30 - 60 minutes, so I ended up just driving the last few hundred miles legit driving back and forth on a bridge.

Joe's Adventure also had some annoying trophies like drifting and going a certain distance by jumping while driving a car.

I still think the base game is a solid experience, and one that a lot of people shouldn't pass up, even if the remaster isn't all that great.

• 2 months later...