Best approach to 100%?

proud2bNs

Hey guys,

I recently finished TLOU1 100% and will start TLOU2 soon. Since ND released the Grounded DLC, the 100% became harder to achieve and the best approach might have changed. I'd like to hear your suggestions on how someone who starts the game now should attempt the 100%? How would you combine collectibles, perma death and grounded for the best experience while avoiding numerous additional playthroughs and/or making the 100% harder than it must be?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by proud2bNs

I would probably go:

• 1st run - Grounded, without guide, just enjoy the game and the story
  • 2nd run - Very Light + Permadeath per chapter, finish collectibles and upgrades, misc trophies if you missed any
Edited by HusKy
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, HusKy said:

I would probably go:

• 1st run - Grounded, without guide, just enjoy the game and the story
  • 2nd run - Very Light + Permadeath per chapter, finish collectibles and upgrades, misc trophies if you missed any

Is it actually possible to gather enough parts and supplements over two play throughs if one’s on Grounded?

39 minutes ago, Eqill5 said:

Is it actually possible to gather enough parts and supplements over two play throughs if one’s on Grounded?

This is what I'm afraid of using the mentioned approach. I had to start a 3rd run in TLOU1 because the 2nd one on grounded made it nearly impossbile to get enough parts due to stealhing or avoiding most sections.

May sound long, but I do advise the 3 playthroughs. Moderate, then Permadeath on NG+ Very Light (if you wanna save time), and Grounded for last.

Workin' well for me so far. But my next playthrough on Grounded without listening mode is gonna scare the bajeebeez outta me. Lol.

39 minutes ago, proud2bNs said:

This is what I'm afraid of using the mentioned approach. I had to start a 3rd run in TLOU1 because the 2nd one on grounded made it nearly impossbile to get enough parts due to stealhing or avoiding most sections.

This, first run wants to be on easy just solely to get plenty of parts. If you get everything, you only need about 100 of each in NG+!

49 minutes ago, Core-Taku said:

May sound long, but I do advise the 3 playthroughs. Moderate, then Permadeath on NG+ Very Light (if you wanna save time), and Grounded for last.

Workin' well for me so far. But my next playthrough on Grounded without listening mode is gonna scare the bajeebeez outta me. Lol.

you can activate listening mode in grounded, it's part of the accessibility options. Everything there you can use it, nevertheless you can't use the cheats options like infinite bullets.

2 hours ago, Eqill5 said:

Yes, it is absolutely possible.

1 hour ago, Optinooby said:

This, first run wants to be on easy just solely to get plenty of parts. If you get everything, you only need about 100 of each in NG+!

First run on easy if you want to destroy your experience from the game, sure.

• Like 2

I would recommend playing on hard for 1 playthrough and using no guides which will give the most enjoyment (I think), but thoroughly raid everything to get all the parts and suplements you can.

Then play on grounded+ with a guide for collectibles. Most collectibles aren't in combat sections so you should be able to get them all. You'll probably get enough parts and supplements even with skipping sections.

Then permadeath on very light+ and you want to rush through this, because you will die sometimes because of a fluke or mistake and it wipes out everything since the last chapter ended. Most chapters take only 10-15 minutes if you're speedrunning them. If you're still missing any collectibles or somehow need more parts or supplements, you can get them now.

Edited by emailking

This may sound tedious but I'd suggest 3 playthroughs.

First playthrough on whatever difficulty you want and get all the collectibles.

2nd playthrough very light+ with the permadeath setting set to per chapter.+

3rd playthrough on Grounded+. By this point you know the game pretty much inside out and since you're fully upgraded you won't have as much trouble.

• 2 weeks later...

I played through the game on the easiest difficulty once before the grounded dlc, following a collectible guide. So when I finished it, I only needed the two "upgrade everything" trophies. Then I combined grounded and permadeath on my new game plus run. It was definitely challenging, but not so bad with all the accessibility settings. Prone invisibility doesn't work on scripted/unavoidable fights though.

2 playthroughs are definitely enough for all the upgrades. 

If I played the game after the dlc, I wouldn't have combined grounded and permadeath. That's just an unnecessary challenge. I'd probably do very light & permadeath first, and then grounded if this is possible.

Edited by emboliformis
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 2020-09-08 at 6:20 AM, proud2bNs said:

One good thing about this in TLOU2 is that they removed shivs and shiv doors, which was another huge obstacle to maxing out stats/weapons in the first game. On top of what you said, there was also huge numbers of parts and pills locked behind doors, and hardly enough resources to hit most of the shiv doors in the game. And this was assuming you didn’t use ANY shivs on Clickers or other difficult spots.

• 3 weeks later...

Late to the party, but I just finished this up today and just wanted to leave a couple of notes. 

It’s really important to get all the supplements you can in your first play through should you go the two play through route. On grounded, not all of the player upgrades are available. The amount of parts and supplements are reduced, and once you max out your weapons and player skills the game appears to stop spawning the materials. 

My play throughs were:

NG very light + permadeath

NG+ Grounded

Then some backtracking through my saves to find out where I could start from so as not to start a third play through. 

Edited by Amphiprion11513
Added

11 hours ago, rockstarjazz said:

what i did:

1st playthrough - play for the story, forget about trophies. but do explore areas.

2nd playthrough - on very light - collectibles and upgrades

3rd playthrough - permadeath, i did mine on very light, reset by chapter

4th playthrough - grounded

I did exactly the same thing lol.

• 3 weeks later...

I played on Moderate in my 1st playthrough with no guides.

Then NG+ Very Light Permadeath per chapter with Collectibles guide open. I think Collectibles are saved even if you die and you have to restart a chapter. I missed only 3 collectibles after this run.

NG+ Grounded, speedrunning, skipping cutscenes. Easy with invisible while prone. I still needed 1 weapon and 1 character upgrade and remaining collectibles.

• 5 months later...
On 15.12.2020 at 3:58 AM, emailking said:

It definitely stops spawing parts/supplements if they can't help you anymore, although others have said the same amount are available on grounded as the other difficulties.

This isn't true. I'm doing my second run on grounded plus with a supplements and parts guide and i am after the Hostile Territory chapter and there are way less then on very light. So i might need a third ng plus run just for Abby upgrades because i wasn't paying that much attention in her part or hope that day2 or 3 will give me enough (300 supplements) on grounded mode. 

Can i use chapter select on a new ng plus with a save from the last chapter just for supplements?